Playstation 4 Framerate topic (2,0)

+
Friend of mine is playing on PS4, mounths ago he said frame is droping a lot, but after updates, he said they fixed it.

Well they didn't it's still terrible sometimes. I loved the story but I refuse to replay the game if I have to struggle again with 20fps slowdowns.

You don`t develop game on a console but for a console first to avoid such bad performance ports. Of course CDPR may skip consoles for Cyberpunk if they are fine with only PC profit.
I dont think so.

---------- Updated at 11:40 AM ----------

I´m on a PS4, the fps rate is no doubt a issue, but still i´m really enjoying the game. I´m on the second walkthrough, pre-ordered the expansion, and IMO, even on the PS4 it´s the best game of all time. But in the other hand, i just dont kwow why CDPR got better fps on the XB1 than on the PS4 whitch has better GPU.

I dont think so.

---------- Updated at 11:40 AM ----------

I´m on a PS4, the fps rate is no doubt a issue, but still i´m really enjoying the game. I´m on the second walkthrough, pre-ordered the expansion, and IMO, even on the PS4 it´s the best game of all time. But in the other hand, i just dont kwow why CDPR got better fps on the XB1 than on the PS4 whitch has better GPU.

The PS4 has better hardware but Xbox uses DX and CDPR are using DX extensively. PS4 has other API-s but if you don't know what the **** you are doing this is what happens.

A normal development cycle takes the weakest machine that the game is aimed for and that would be the base for the performance goal (let's say 30 fps). Than next they add extra effects and stuff to the other platforms like PC. You can experiment with these on PC if your hardware can take the extra eye candy or not and of course they unlock the frame rate.

I think the frame rate on the PS4 won't be fixed because you would have to patch the engine directly, that is a huge amount of work and they already sold the game so why would they?

How you get good framerate?

Small example: http://www.worldsfactory.net/2015/03/09/naughty-dog-reached-60fps-tlou-remastered
(hope this is correct url, currently I am behind office firewall, this should be blog about how naughty dog learned ps4 api to get 60 fps in tlou game)

This is almost forgotten in modern industry and it is called optimization. You can get a lot from any hardware but in most cases it is done in really inefficient way.

Last edited:
The PS4 has better hardware but Xbox uses DX and CDPR are using DX extensively. PS4 has other API-s but if you don't know what the **** you are doing this is what happens.

A normal development cycle takes the weakest machine that the game is aimed for and that would be the base for the performance goal (let's say 30 fps). Than next they add extra effects and stuff to the other platforms like PC. You can experiment with these on PC if your hardware can take the extra eye candy or not and of course they unlock the frame rate.

I think the frame rate on the PS4 won't be fixed because you would have to patch the engine directly, that is a huge amount of work and they already sold the game so why would they?
Because CDPR are not like others devs... man, I bet they will put forth the extra work that it will take to make this game more perfect, and with better frames. They don't give up on their games, they always go the extra mile, it might take some extra time... but at least we get to play it in the meantime, and give them feedback. I still believe in them and that this game will be much better... within a years time. I still think it's the best foundation for an rpg ever, by far it's my GOTY no matter what. ;)

One post has just been deleted. While giving feedback and expressing your concerns on this is acceptable, there are certain lines that you should NOT cross in these forums, on any topic. So keep it civil.

In the thread about upcoming patch 1.09, I Just saw this post by Marcin of CDPR (hope he doesn't mind me posting it here):

"The patch is on the way. Was just looking at the changelog and it looks really impressive - the list of changes is massive. The update will bring a lot of fixes and improvements including PS4 performance (as well as other platforms) plus many more. We ask for a bit more patience."

That sounds quite positive to me and I still hold out hope for an improvement. I would be so grateful to see it realised.

Holy shit, I just went to the Isle of Mist.
The game ran SO well, even with lots of trees, grass, and guess what.... A LOT OF MIST!!
It even compared to Metal Gear Solid V, and that game is 60fps!

I think that it was because the isles are small.
Is it possiblem to make the game run like this at all places in the world?

One can dream... =P

I haven't touched this game since the beginning of June. I just started playing again this weekend. It has definitely improved over the time I was playing it at early release.

Well im exited to see if they really fixed the fps problem in the upcoming patch. If it will be fixed at least I'll play the NG+ and maybe enjoy those parts that were almost unplayable last time. But it's most likely that if performance will improve it still won't be a stable 30fps and The Witcher 3 will always be an experimental project on the PS4 that failed to hit the quality it deserves. I hope I'm wrong cause I love the game and want to play it at a smooth frame rate.

I did a number of tests myself and the frame rate seems to be much better now. In my opinion, it's not a hindrance to play in the Velen Swamps anymore. Haven't checked the city yet, though. Took long enough, but they finally did it, though now, after waiting so long for the patch that would fix the problems, I think I'll have to restart the game.

Hopefully their next game doesn't get affected by similar problems, but, as I've said in the past, I'll wait for some player feedback before joining in right at the start again. It's not rewarding to be an early supporter.

Yeah. . .looks like they finally addressed the fps problem for ps4 with patch 1.10 (I installed it this morning and there is a definite difference especially in Novigrad, I did move around in the Velen bogs but the weather was good so I cant comment on its performance there )

To be honest I never expect a pc to console port to be good, so I kinda accepted the few issues that presented themselves over the last few months. Patch 1.07 was the worst for me. It dropped the fps way to low and I experienced quite a few game crashes, but I had finished the main story line and was just back tracking and cleaning up the maps. Patch 1.08 made the experience tolerable again, but there is defiantly a big improvement in patch 1.10.

Last edited:
Can confirm - played for the past 3 straight days and the frame rate issues appear to be resolved in the swamp areas and in Novigrad at all times of day and under different weather conditions. Graphic detail appears to have improved as well in several areas and less pop-in overall. No idea what took them 5 months of broken patch note promises but they finally pulled through this time.

I can´t test now so I can´t confirm it, but several people is reporting problems with framerate in the new expansion. Looks like they fixed framerate problems in the original game because some zones from expansion were worse.

I played for 3 days now and I'm happy to say the game is now playable the shadow flicker is gone, so are most of the texture poppins. The frame rate is now stable mostly not constant 30 at all times but a hell of a lot better. Nice to see they actually fixed the issue. Thank's again for a great game.

Top Bottom