Populating The World of TW3 (Ideas)

+
What other animals does it need? Squirrels, snakes, lizards, pigs, cows, chickens, cats, dogs, bats, sheep, rats, a variety of birds and fish and bugs, bees, flies, butterflies, beavers, goats and my honey badger gawd damn it :)

Well, we had a wolf and a handful of vipers, pigs and squirrels, owls and unicorns, roosters and dragons. The only one that seems to be missing is a certain lion cub... :huh:

Seriously though, the more the merrier.

Multiplayer element: bear simulators, goat simulators, horse simulators, sims simulators, harvest moon simulator, tavern tycoons, whore house tycoon and what not.

I agree very much with adding as many different animals as possible. Seeing some bugs fly by or some fireflies in the dark nights would add a nice touch. One must also have wild horses ofcourse.
Fireflies would be awesome at night if they looked real and the color was right. Dragonflies and maybe some frogs too. I liked the sounds in TW2 of flies or bees buzzing passed my ears while walking in the woods. If they donnot over do it, it will be perfect. I wonder if it is fun for devs to add these kinds of details to the world? Do you think to much going on will hurt the FPS? Or have they got enough power this time to just go crazy and add all kinds of stuff?

I think that random events or randomness, in general, is essential to a believable open world. The central idea here being that when you(the player) go into an area, you're not sure if something will be the same or if it will be different.

On the small scale, this can mean weather changes. So for example, one time you come to an area and it's bright and sunny, and next the next time you visit here, it's cloudy and raining. Or one time you visit an area and see a deer run across the screen, the next time you visit and there's nothing here.

And on the large scale, we can talk about big random events such as visiting a village and nothing eventful happens, and then coming back to the same village to stumble upon bandits raiding it. You can interfere, if you like, which will lead into a lengthy quest, with lots of characters, dialogue, etc.

And then there's everything in between the small and large scale random events. Again, these could be things that you may or may not see when entering an area. Some examples:

- an NPC strolling down the road
- a monster preying on a farmer's sheep
- an NPC building a house that wasn't there before
- monsters or animals fighting with each other
- weather affecting the landscape: lightning strikes splitting trees or wind knocking them down. Water flooding into other areas
- a village throwing some kind of festival or holiday event: crowds are gathered outside. Musicians are playing instruments. Decorations are up. Merchants are having sales. You can talk to people about the holiday.
- you run into a main character, like Dandelion or Zoltan. You chat, and they follow you around for a bit as you travel.

- differences in monster disposition: For example, imagine if every time you've encountered a werewolf thus far, it is immediately hostile towards you. But this time you encounter one and it's indifferent. It just minds its own business and/or runs away.

- some of this randomness can be put into missions as well. Let's say that Geralt is tracking the Wild Hunt, and a village is refusing to give up their information unless he first helps them get rid of the monster plaguing their village. What if during Geralt's conversation with the villagers, there is a small percentage chance (say less than 10%) that they decide to give you the information without helping them slay the monster 1st. They just give it to you. Imagine that you could be on your 5th playthrough of the game, and discover this, and just be baffled that something different happened compared to your previous playthroughs.

Really, there's no limit to the possibilities that you can think of. But again, I think that randomness is so important. It's something that can create that feeling of, "Wow that didn't happen last time I was here and I don't know if it will happen next time either."

For me personally, I think terrifying encounters with monster add a lot to the game.

Encounters that push not to mess with them when I amnot ready.

Imagine roaming some forest when a beast just comes and forces you to move unexpectedly.
It all comes down to unpredictability and richness in interactive and meaningful details.With NPCs and monsters alike.

My answer is really broad when I look at it and not very informative.It really is hard to come up with a good answer to that king of question.Making TW3 must have been really challenging every step of the way.

Regular animals as much as possible? Yes please. Wildlife always brings athmosphere to the forests and in the witcher books all common animals mentioned highlighted nicely the abnormal monsters Geralt encountered his adventures.

I am hoping the CD project will implement this scene below from the Sword of Destiny to the game if you encounter cats walking in the streets of Novigrad for example.
New players would learn how certain animals react to the alien precence of a witcher.

At the gate to the stables sat a black cat fastidiously washing its paw
"Here, kitty, kitty, kitty," called the witcher
The cat froze and glared at him angrily, folding back its ears and hissing, teeth bared
"I know," nodded Geralt, "I dont like you either. Im just joking"
View attachment 2468

Attachments

• blackcat425aa121211.jpg
    blackcat425aa121211.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 62
@fracturedearth
Witcher 1 actually had frogs as well. Small and green like...well frogs...that jumped away if you got too close. Okay so I saw the honeybadger movie. Honeybadger is a badass...like all badgers I might add. I've run into one once that had a hare dangling from it's jaws. I think it was a badger, it was dark. We stared at each other for a while until it decided that I wasn't interested to steal its dinner.That or I was too big to have for dinner as well. It chose a different route letting me pass(letting me pass is a clue here).

Question is, shall I as Geralt in Witcher 3, mind my steps watching out for snakes, or have a set of badgers clinging to Geralt's ankles? ::) ;) Hmm indeed. But I think the devs could do as they did in Witcher 1, and some animals only add to ambiance and atmosphere, ergo, you cannot harm or be harmed by these animals. I know personally that I couldn't slay an animal without trying to use the spoils or trying to sell it. "I have dozen of venemous snakes for sale. Please take them off my hands. Nevermind my companion badger, he's just cranky." :laughing:

@501105
Wild horses are confirmed(think there's a screenshot of them), or has been, since we could tame one with Heliotrop sign. Fireflies is a great idea!

@Saladin
I love how dogs either growled or barked at you in Witcher 1. But we saw cats in Witcher 2 did we not? Their reaction to Geralt is a great idea!

@broccolisoup
I love the thought of running into one or a few, as lizardmen are cool. But vrans are extinct are they not? I love how Roche put things in perspective in Witcher 2. Here elves talk of non-human persecution by humans(I might add that my ally in Witcher 1 was Yaevinn btw) but the vran skeletons (in Loc Muinne caves) show signs of cuts and execution made by elven blades. So who are worse, different, and good and evil etc. I love how the devs incorporate Sapkowski's ideas in the games. It is never that simple, but pick a side(neutral is also a choice) and stand your ground. But I digress. Yes to meeting vrans or at least finding vran ruins.

@Villentretanmerth
Good post! But Bethesda has tried time and again with this kind of freedom, and sometimes the AI is allowed too much freedom and more details need to be taken into account. It would be sweet if all this could be done without bugs. Otherwise I'm completely fine with CDPR doing things like Witcher 1 and 2, and we're given the illusion of an open world in a perfectly directed world. I love the thought of it and the realism, but how would it be in a game? Imagine Einar Gausel(whom I hope to see in Novigrad) decides to shut his book store and take some time off in the countryside and you can't effin find him or that book he promised you? You know, for that exorcism quest. What if any npc tied to quests decide to go to the next town or hamlet? How would you know? And would the devs incorporate a system that helped you find them? Say a messenger system(with messengers running around)?

I would prefer a game world where people stay where they're supposed or intended to be, or at least don't go too far away and get killed and eaten where you'll never find them. That animals and monsters stick to the woods or caves, never go near villages or (by mistake)happen to kill passers by, or themselves off(kikimores or other monsters ridding an entire area of every other animal). Especially they shouldn't kill off a quest-giver npc, or any npc for that matter unless it is part of a quest. I know that wolves in real life, when excluded from the pack for various reasons, may travel faaar(incredible how far really) in search of a new habitat. But I don't know if I want to run into wolves or other animals in areas where the devs haven't planned for them to be or meant for the player to run into them. See what I mean? You have many great ideas, I especially like the one with lightning hitting trees, or a village springs up, a festival with decorations, but I wonder how the devs could implement the randomness of things. I guess we'll see though. :lol: I started a topic a while back about how open world an 'open world' should be without it all come crashing down or feel closed up.

@here_soon
This strikes your fancy? :lol:

Last edited:
How many romance options do we have in this huge world, apart from the main story line ? Tie in some side quests to romance options (with both Humans & Non-Humans). Sighting the disapproval from many sources on Sex in The Witcher 1, I think the number of romance options were reduced in The Witcher 2. The Witcher 1 had a lot of romance options , I hope It will more than that, this time in the Witcher 3.

Everytime time the sex scenes in The Witcher 2 had the same flow with different ladies (especially the ones in Brothel) I hope this time there would be different durations, angles and positions to not make sex scenes boring and repetitive. After going all the trouble to impress the romantic interest One wouldn't want the same scene with different character.

Also the Glass house storyline in the comic book was spooky, dark & terrific. Hope I can play the story lines of the comic series in The Witcher 3 game :)

Last edited:
A romance option to get at another girl of Dandelion's and get his sloppy seconds, again.

Jesus®, my humour disturbs me...

How many romance options do we have in this huge world, apart from the main story line ? Tie in some side quests to romance options (with both Humans & Non-Humans). Sighting the disapproval from many sources on Sex in The Witcher 1, I think the number of romance options were reduced in The Witcher 2. The Witcher 1 had a lot of romance options , I hope It will more than that, this time in the Witcher 3.

Everytime time the sex scenes in The Witcher 2 had the same flow with different ladies (especially the ones in Brothel) I hope this time there would be different durations, angles and positions to not make sex scenes boring and repetitive. After going all the trouble to impress the romantic interest One wouldn't want the same scene with different character.

Also the Glass house storyline in the comic book was spooky, dark & terrific. Hope I can play the story lines of the comic series in The Witcher 3 game :)

Geralt isn't a manwhore, the sex scenes are there for mature character development. The Witcher 3 won't be a sex simulator and CDProjekt has stated that the sex scenes will serve a story purpose rather than an erection purpose.

While populating tw3 world, cdpr needs to keep right amount of quest density. If we got hub area like little village never EVER make it for only one quest. Let the player spend time in places and get used to them, that's how you make it more memorable.

Same goes for POIs. Making huge castle to hunt one monster or to kill x monsters is not good idea, make those places live with stuff happening, but don't go overboard. Even few npcs with small mundane problems can make location much more interesting. Few travelers lost in the ruins make the ruins livelier. Same with hunters camp on the swamp. Interactions between places are also critical. Overall desolate places are ok but even better if they are "desolate with a twist".

edit: this thread went offtop am i right? figures...

Last edited:
Why are sex options always called romance. There is no romance, There is just pure sex. Even ME doesn't have proper romance. That this passes as romance now is kind of disturbing... Why not name it as it is. There is nothing wrong with just having some fun...

I would like to see people traveling from villages to cities, carts moving by the road that kind off stuff.
Truly living world, not cities and villages as cages, which no one leaves.

And yes, as many types of wildlife as possible.

I know cdpr does not want the world to be boring. But damn it, real life can be boring at times and I would like nothing more then to just walk around the woods and feilds and streams of this game on a sunny day. I want to just watch and listen to the nature of all the wild life this game has to offer. Some times that is more then enough, because I dont always want npc's or even monsters barking up my ass every step I take. I more often then not just want to be left the fuck alone. I want some space and time to think for myself and explore the art of this world as a walking meditation. So to speak, It does not always have to be rush and hurry does it? Maybe I will find some one like me doing just the same. All alone sitting by a little brook in the shade to escape the madness of the towns folk. Or better yet, maybe I will just help myself to this nice bottle of wine and get a little buzzed and talk to Roach. Hell.. just to ease the pain of being the witcher monster slayer that I am right, (riiiight) well Cheers Roach this ones for us ; )

- Different types of gender and age for each race.
- I wouldn't like idle NPCs. Shopkeepers could at least look and react to events, check their goods are ok, have a chat with the shopkeeper next to them, kick a rock with their feet, etc.

Top Bottom