Problem with Gwent? Getting owned by the AI? Want some tips? call: 0800-SCORCHED

+
As was said already, frost is your friend when fighting monsters. Commander's Horn can also be extremely useful to help make up for the - absurdly unfair seeming, at first - monster tactics.

But aside from that, most of the time when playing against a monster deck the key is to get them to over-commit in the first round and get them to burn a lot of resources while you build yours up for the later rounds. There are a couple of ways to do that:

1. Spy cards - The monster players usually go nuts in the first round anyway, hitting you with everything but the kitchen sink - if you're going to lose, then dump all the spy cards at them you can, and get your hand size up.

2. Medic cards + Decoys: Medics let you get cards back from your discard pile. That means that you can afford to play some big cards in the first round, forcing the monster player to match you - then, in the second round, you play your medics and get those cards back. If you have decoys, this gets even better - you can use the decoy to put the medic card back into your hand, the cards you recovered from the discard pile stay in play, and you get to play the medic card again. (obviously, this only works if you played a bunch of valuable cards in the 1st round - but you want to do that, to get the enemy to use up some of his good stuff)

I actually had a sequence last night where, in the 3rd round, I found myself with a medic and a decoy in my hand, and a second medic card in the discard pile from a previous round, along with some other strong cards. It went like this:

- Play a medic, recover a regular unit card from the discard pile.
- Use a decoy to get the medic back.
- Play the medic again, this time recovering the second medic card from the discard pile.
- Play the second medic, and recover one more regular unit card from the discard pile

In effect, what was one decoy and one strength 5 medic became something like 24 points worth of units.

Yeah something like that happened to me once. Those type of matches are really satisfying. I guess I need a better deck anyway to beat those truly strong monster decks. I tried a couple strategies yesterday but even when I try to exhaust their resources in the first round they still have a couple lvl 10 cards even to the last round. I need more firepower.

The decoy cards work nice on the dragon too (I forgot the name).
Monster deck with a good row of melee monsters -> freeze card -> dragon kills them -> decoy the dragon back. Decoys are great to go through your deck by utilizing spy cards too. I often find myself decoying the spy cards my opponents play (the non hero ones) and using them. I keep 3 decoys in my deck. Decoys are also great for the scenario MattMk1 mentioned with the medics. Get those scorched cards back!

Edit: Villentretenmerth is the dragon card (essentially melee with scorch).

Last edited:
Future Gwent - Online Gwent

Hi guys.
First, we begin I would like to say is of compliments for cdpr made for an excellent game as Witcher Wild Hunt I enjoy it. It's a great game.
Now to the point.Card game Gwent enjoy it spends the long hours I'd like to ask cdpr and also the opinion of those very fans as me :) whether it would make the Gwent online.
I got the idea that online it would be cool against other players more difficult. I do not know than others but for me it would be great if I can challenge opponents from other players more could I even enjoyed chasing and would like to collect the cards that I had most packages.
What do you think? We apologize for my english but I dont from England.
:)

Last edited:
@penniwise, you have described my favorite Gwent move. Because of it I am not sure if the Monsters deck is even viable, when compared do the Northern Realms, due to the fact that it is so heavily invested in the front row. Maybe the expansions will bring the deck up to par.

Yeah I get your point. I'd like to play against human players via mobile app, but I worry that sometimes it would become a bit slow because most likely human players would take longer to plan next move etc.

I'd rather see several NPCs in the upcoming expansions who are always available to play high stakes and have complete decks with max AI capabilities. One of them may be even a cheater and have you sit next to a mirror . . .

Agreed. She payed 4 spy cards against me 1st round, one by decoy. I matched her though with one spy and 2 decoys. a few Decoys combined with a few spy cards of your own and just about the whole deck is available to you. It's great getting the cards you want by playing your opponents spy cards.

The card game is really fun but after quest 'high stakes', the deck is strong and not much competition anymore. It would be great if expansions and what not added more cards, card types and higher level players.

I do have a question regarding the Nilfgaard set. I understand the strengths and weaknesses for the Monsters, Scoia'tel, and Northern Realms (the latter being my main deck), but I don't understand how to use Nilfgaard effectively. I get a feeling that it mostly relies on spy cards and medic cards to regain high level cards for the next round, but beyond that, I don't exactly know how to use them effectively. Would like some tips so this deck doesn't sit and collect dust. :)

Anyone else having problems with targeting the correct cards with stuff like Decoy, Scorch, etc? Sometimes the game completely ignores which card I selected and chooses one seemingly at random - wtf? this can get really annoying if it happens at a point in the match where its basically do or die. I dont want to have to pray to the god of gwent that the game selects the right card, because as we all know: the god of gwent can be cruel and unforgiving.

also, playing a monster deck can be so damn satisfying.

Last edited:
Gwent AI fail! (video)

Yeah I was about to surrender on the last match during this high stakes Gwent game but for some odd reason the AI helped me win lol. Never forfeit!
(Skip to 3:20 if you don't want to watch the whole match)

Last edited:
Zoltan Gwent Card Patch?

What are the chances that there will be a patch that lets us either play against the scholar from white orchard and get the Zoltan card after leaving white orchard? At the time, I - like many others that I have heard complain about this issue - was more focused on learning the mechanics of the game, and got so far that he dissapeared from the tavern. I figured that the card you won from him would be random, and thus I didn't need to reload any saves and just pressed on in my game. Forty hours later, I'm missing only one card from my Gwent Deck.

The other miss-able cards happen during quests that clearly outline the temporary nature of the gwent games. Thus, I would understand that those cards may not deserve a patch. The tutorial game never seemed like a card game that was temporarily available until you-know-what happens in the tavern. At which point, you're far too late.

Thoughts?

EDIT: For those of you who don't know, I'm referring to the person who teaches you gwent, and his unique card.

Last edited:
Only CD Projekt Red knows. As far as I know, there are two events that allow you to miss gwent cards permanently - the masquerade ball and beating the scholar that teaches you gwent. I don't think that they intended on making them permanently missable since they did patch the White Orchard inn keeper, so I think that the chance of them patching these two events is high. However, when the patch is going to come out, I have no idea. I don't believe gwent is the top priority for their patches.

Yup, a online feature would be nice. I would prefer a full on standalone Gwent game. A few more factions, a lot more cards, some serious balancing, then yeah I would love to play something like that.

A nice touch would be for you to bring your cards over from the Witcher 3.

Have, like many others, exact the same issue! Missing this Card too!

What are the chances that there will be a patch that lets us either play against the scholar from white orchard and get the Zoltan card after leaving white orchard? At the time, I - like many others that I have heard complain about this issue - was more focused on learning the mechanics of the game, and got so far that he dissapeared from the tavern. I figured that the card you won from him would be random, and thus I didn't need to reload any saves and just pressed on in my game. Forty hours later, I'm missing only one card from my Gwent Deck.

The other miss-able cards happen during quests that clearly outline the temporary nature of the gwent games. Thus, I would understand that those cards may not deserve a patch. The tutorial game never seemed like a card game that was temporarily available until you-know-what happens in the tavern. At which point, you're far too late.

Thoughts?

EDIT: For those of you who don't know, I'm referring to the person who teaches you gwent, and his unique card.

PS: why is this thread no more pinned at the top?

Last edited:
hi,
i want to know is there any chance to get gwent cards from the Olivior, kingfisher innkeeper.
MY mean is the card he sold, not won from him.

@penniwise, you have described my favorite Gwent move. Because of it I am not sure if the Monsters deck is even viable, when compared do the Northern Realms, due to the fact that it is so heavily invested in the front row. Maybe the expansions will bring the deck up to par.

Well it's viability isn't entirely crushed by that one excellent combo... though it is utterly devastating to them if you get cards for it. I had a game against one of the Skellige Innkeepers with the full monster shine, towards the end of the first round he had both Vampires down, I Ville-ey scorched his vampires. He then played the crones I decoyed Vill-ey and burnt them too. Pretty bad luck on his front though, even with all the heroes and the Arachas muster left he couldn't come back after that.

Still biting frost-Vill-ey scorch is just terribly cruel especially on a double muster, war horn melee line.

---------- Updated at 05:17 PM ----------

I do have a question regarding the Nilfgaard set. I understand the strengths and weaknesses for the Monsters, Scoia'tel, and Northern Realms (the latter being my main deck), but I don't understand how to use Nilfgaard effectively. I get a feeling that it mostly relies on spy cards and medic cards to regain high level cards for the next round, but beyond that, I don't exactly know how to use them effectively. Would like some tips so this deck doesn't sit and collect dust. :)

Nilfgard has the most Medic capacity, generally you are using this to cycle your cards cards and maintain pressure every round. It has 3 spies though they are higher values then the Temerian counterparts they are arguably more valuable for Nilfgard who rely on value per card to compete with superior drawing potential of other decks. Decoy/Medic combos are their greatest strength with 3, 10 value non-hero units you can without a great deal of luck get into play every turn. I tend to avoid Scorch in Nilfgard, as I will too often not get a chance without self scorching the two lower value spies, all the decoys and one or two, given the large amount of Melee heroes between there own and neutral I only have Vill-ey as a non-hero melee meaning my own biting frost never upsets my plan. Early on you might not have that choice and will be running the 4 Impera Brigades or the 2 young emissaries until you win more hero cards.

Top Bottom