So did any of the choices in W2 really matter? SPOILERS!!!!!

+
So did any of the choices in W2 really matter? SPOILERS!!!!!

My next mission in the main quest is the "Isle of the Mists", I guessed its probably one of the last so it got me thinking.

I really don't see much tangible events, gameplay mechanics or anything in W3 that was influenced by W2. All I know is that
Henselt gets just mentioned dying in a battle against Radovid.
It really felt like the writers had no idea what to do with the option that, that character survives W2 so they just scrubbed him off, despite his large role.

I also have yet to see or hear being mentioned a bit more
Iorveth,Sillard(Or any mention of him),Dethmold(if he survived),Cynthia(Remember that spying device quest was kind of important),Ada(It seems she might as well not exist anymore),Saskia/Dragon, Silla and Phillipa (That Megascope message doesn't count).

Also about Triss
I could swear I didn't give her that damn rose, but she had it in her apartment, so is that a thing in W3, my memory is shaky or just took the wrong save game file?

All this disappoints me, because W2 really gave you impression that you have know what you're doing lest you suffer the consequences in the next game.

I haven't yet played the game with all my W2 imports, but it seems it would a be a major waste of time.

Sadly, not.
There is just a quest which change a bit if you spared Letho or not, but...there's nothing tangible.
Which is really bad.

All you have done in TW1/2 really doesn't matter.

My biggest gripe about he apparent lack of impact past choices make on this game is in the lack of fan service for those of us who've been playing since the first Witcher. When I first heard that Oxenfurt was going to be a location in the game, I got super excited because I thought we'd finally get to see Shani again. But naturally, according to the doctor we meet in that serial killer quest, she's conveniently on the front tending to the wounded (which makes sense for her character, but why can't we visit her!?). The mention of Kalkstein was nice, but where is Adda!? Even if the CDPR canon is that she was killed as a Striga by Geralt, it'd be nice for that to be referenced in the game somehow, but since I saved her in TW1 I would've liked to have been given the opportunity to meet her again in 3.

In any case, when you think about the decision-simulating conversation with Movran in Vizima, it doesn't really impact the game much at all...you get an extra quest out of your decision to spare Letho, a brief appearance from Sile if you save her from the megascope, I imagine Baroness La Valette is less friendly with you if you killed Aryan, and you get a couple of extra lines of dialogue with Roche and Radovid depending your other 2 choices. Couple that with the complete absence of meaningful differences to the game world based on your choices is TW1 and that's what I'm most disappointed about. It's a wonderful wonderful game, but I feel that CDPR put more effort into making the game accessible as a stand alone feature than creating a true installment of a trilogy, and that hurts a bit.

Sadly nothing from TW1+TW2 matters but TW3 is still a great game

its just a bad sequel

Why is everybody so suprised,that our choices from TW2 didn't matter in TW3?Our choices from TW1 mattered even less in TW2.

Why is everybody so suprised,that our choices from TW2 didn't matter in TW3?Our choices from TW1 mattered even less in TW2.

Maybe because in TW1 you didn't choose over the fates of kings and entire countries ?

She will be back in the Oxenfurt expansion, for sure.
But because it is an expansion, there will be no consequences.

No need for that man she will be in the Oxfurt expansion
Its basically a sure thing right now

I will only believe it when I see it. I really thought she would be in the game, but she is not. I really thought, after I finished TW2, how incredible TW3 would be with all possible ramifications of our choices. I remember the people here trying to min-max the decisions to have the strongest north possible. And I would like my Geralt to end up with Shani. I know she is a minor character, but CDPR gave her a bigger role in the first game and I made my choice. I don't want just a cameo of her. Please, sign it as well. Your support is appreciated. And the expansion is not even free, we'll have to pay to maybe have a character that should have in been in the game, even more so after the lazy retcon in the second game.

Yeah, well, consequences barely exist anyway. Bring some help to Kaer Morhen or don't. Same result. Kill Raddovid or don't. "Long live Raddovid". And then you get a cool, but meaningless slide at the end.

Ps. CDPR went too hardcore on making the game as "accessible" as possible and ignored our decisions in the previous games in order to get more customers and it worked great for them. I tried getting support in TW3 streams and nobody even knows who Shani is. Most of the streamers and their viewers have no idea. With some luck, some of them played part of the second game.

But please, don't get me wrong. I am all for more people getting into this universe, but I don't think CDPR approach of ignoring the previous games was the better one. And how can this be an end to Geralt's story if you can end up just like you began: a witcher on the path? Kinda anti-climatic.

Last edited:
Yeah, well, consequences barely exist anyway. Bring some help to Kaer Morhen or don't. Same result. Kill Raddovid or don't. "Long live Raddovid". And then you get a cool, but meaningless slide at the end.

Ps. CDPR went too hardcore on making the game as "accessible" as possible and ignored our decisions in the previous games in order to get more customers and it worked great for them. I tried getting support in TW3 streams and nobody even knows who Shani is. Most of the streamers and their viewers have no idea. With some luck, some of them played part of the second game.

But please, don't get me wrong. I am all for more people getting into this universe, but I don't think CDPR approach of ignoring the previous games was the better one. And how can this be an end to Geralt's story if you can end up just like you began: a witcher on the path? Kinda anti-climatic.

Well, but I agree with you. The lack of consequences, both internal and from TW2, is just bad.

I will not buy the expansions, for different reasons:

1) I have no desire to play other pointless sidequests, while the main quest, Act 3 and C&C system, is really a broken mess.
2) I can't imagine what room this expansions can have along with the main quest ( I mean, why the hell Geralt should care about Oxenfurt or go to Toussaint if she is looking for Ciri in Velen, Novigrad, Skellige?)

PS: I liked that ending :(

Well, but I agree with you. The lack of consequences, both internal and from TW2, is just bad.

I will not buy the expansions, for different reasons:

1) I have no desire to play other pointless sidequests, while the main quest, Act 3 and C&C system, is really a broken mess.
2) I can't imagine what room this expansions can have along with the main quest ( I mean, why the hell Geralt should care about Oxenfurt or go to Toussaint if she is looking for Ciri in Velen, Novigrad, Skellige?)

PS: I liked that ending :(

Yeah, Toussaint is really puzzling. I just posted somewhat about this in another thread. But hey, if Geralt can waste time playing gwent against every single person with a working deck he meets, why not visit Toussaint? I am sure there are great gwnet players there and more cards to collect ::)

More than in TW2, CDPR needs to make an EE for TW3, no matter what they said. The game has some glaring issues. CDPR needs some :popo:

That ending was alright, I just disliked Geralt's scared face. Come on, how many monsters we just killed in this game? Anyway, it is anti-climatic because Geralt just saved the world beating some evil aliens in armor and through his pareting skillz, Ciri defeated and possibly survived the white frost and now he goes back to where he started, when CDPR said this would be the end of his journey. Not much of an ending, right? And if Ciri becomes a witcher and Geralt stays alone, why not just have them both together on the path? Why he would need to part ways with Ciri in this case? He could at least hang around her while she did the hard work.

I also find it unsettling that the expansions will take place during the main quest. They should have made epilogue expansions, similar to Throne of Bhaal from Baldur's Gate 2. This could potentially salvage the ending and provide more of a real conclusion for Geralt himself while also providing closure with all of the characters that were omitted from the storyboard ending, which was just adding salt to the wound after not allowing any real decisions from the import of any W1 or 2 saves (very minimal on 2, laughably so). Plus they will need to hire voice actors for this additional content, and they will be charging money for it. Use some of those funds to plug the holes (i.e adding more interaction, more dialogue, more scenes, more content to actually end the game rather than half-end it the way they did with weak summaries and tons of omissions) and round it out...if only.

Last edited:
Witchers walk the path alone. It's just the life they're a part of. If Ciri becomes a witcher it is stated they travelled together for a time until she learns the ropes and then she goes her own way.

Basically, TW3 strictly follows Roche's path with Henselt being killed by Roche, Loc Muinne massacre and subsequent witch hunts. We may count Saskia dead (killed by Geralt in Loc Muinne, and Iorveth dying in Vergen because Geralt chose not to save him.
It is totally fine by me because it is my preferred way, but people who went with Iorveth, saved Vergen, and established Council/conclave can be disappointed. The thing is I did not expect anything else. It would be practically impossible to account for such major differences in outcomes. That's why CDPR settled for just a few mentions of previous characters, and a shift to a completely different locale. Sure, it would be nice if things were different, but let's just be realistic here.

Top Bottom