[Spoiler Alert] About the endings

+

Do you want more RPGs with happy endings?

• Total voters
Yes, There are 3 afterwards all strewn around night city, you end with him disappearing again but leaving a special gift behind.
Thanks! will make sure to look out for it.
Post automatically merged:

True, but even such men as V can be ruined by a bad luck. The game they play are too big and complex to be immune to bad luck. Not that videogame as jenre should kill protagonist that way.
I personally think bad luck only should be used as a mid story twist. Finishing off a character because of bad luck is just bad writing. The beauty of writing is that you can easily stear away from reality.
I get the impression that people who defend the endings because it's "outside the box" are just people who saw game of thrones break rules and now every story that doesn't follow basic rules is revolutionary.

I fully agree that writing is bad, and if you want to kill V in the end, you should justify this way better, starting from the very begininng of plot. A good example of protagonist death and good closure - Red Dead Redemption 2.

Both red dead titles do this quite good. Dragon age origins does it very good as well.

I actually end up sacrificing my character most of the time, because it's the only way to make sure the darkspawn are gone.

Just to point out that a main Charakters death can be very valid option - as long as it is not forced.
Vs BS-cancer however is as forced as it gets and its not even done well.

Hell. Giving johnny the body so that at least he can feel the sunlight again or because V is fed up at that point, is a better option than lol-cancer.

And this gift will adorn your apartment, which conclude its usefullness and impact on the plot). Taro cards quests also grant you with sweet useless amulet, but at least Misty hints the endings).
I guess, that both these quests should affect the endings via increasing/decreasing V's Empathy meter or/and johny-meter...but then content cuts came(

I personally think bad luck only should be used as a mid story twist. Finishing off a character because of bad luck is just bad writing. The beauty of writing is that you can easily stear away from reality.
I get the impression that people who defend the endings because it's "outside the box" are just people who saw game of thrones break rules and now every story that doesn't follow basic rules is revolutionary.
I doubt there are a lot of people who actually content with endings as they are. I, for myself, are just not hit by them, due to my personal views. But i would be glad to see a completely re-written endings, as most people here

And this gift will adorn your apartment, which conclude its usefullness and impact on the plot). Taro cards quests also grant you with sweet useless amulet, but at least Misty hints the endings).
I guess, that both these quests should affect the endings via increasing/decreasing V's Empathy meter or/and johny-meter...but then content cuts came(
Not everything needs to be some kind of spectacle, just knowing V had help in spiritual "oneness" can help boost confidence.

Both red dead titles do this quite good. Dragon age origins does it very good as well.

I actually end up sacrificing my character most of the time, because it's the only way to make sure the darkspawn are gone.

Just to point out that a main Charakters death can be very valid option - as long as it is not forced.

Hell. Giving johnny the body so that at least he can feel the sunlight again or because V is fed up at that point, is a better option than lol-cancer.
You know. If I was Jhonny who was gifted with V's body, i would be a psychological mess. The guilt I would feel after just looking at "my" hand would just eat me up. But then again, I don't have Jhonny's ego so he probably has no issues with the fact.

You know. If I was Jhonny who was gifted with V's body, i would be a psychological mess. The guilt I would feel after just looking at "my" hand would just eat me up. But then again, I don't have Jhonny's ego so he probably has no issues with the fact.
So it boils down to: "who has to keep the wreck?" and "who is allowed to live a peaceful live in cyberspace?"

In addition I think Johnny would freak out if V is female. He even said that her body is not his style. Some things are too small and others are too big.

I'm tired of these edgelord endings in games, they suck and makes me wonder why I've played the damn game where I could do anything I want but have the ending I've worked so many hours toward.

It’s become a “get out of writing a meaningful ending free” card. Why spend time crafting an ending, confronting the morality of sacrificing humanity’s safety to an AI or a Corp for your own survival or wondering if you’re even still human anymore or literally anything that makes a person actually think when you can go psuedo-intellectual and just say “what if... nothing matters, we’re all insignificant, and we’re all going to die?” Amazing, truly a unique take.

Johnny looks pretty darn depressed to me. I mean, rogue chews him a new one if he takes over the body and tells him to never to return to NC. He's already guilty enough as is when he looks in the mirror. I don't expect him to survive long, or be able to sit long with what went down. Doesn't help that Johnny is now entirely alone.

Not everything needs to be some kind of spectacle, just knowing V had help in spiritual "oneness" can help boost confidence.

My wishfull thinking about the endings:

That, and a little bonus to V's Empathy would be nice. Here is my dreams about endings, to explain why i talk about Empathy:

Johnny looks pretty darn depressed to me. I mean, rogue chews him a new one if he takes over the body and tells him to never to return to NC. He's already guilty enough as is when he looks in the mirror. I don't expect him to survive long, or be able to sit long with what went down. Doesn't help that Johnny is now entirely alone.
I wonder, why can't V and Johny both join cyberspace?

Last edited:
if i were writing the ending i'd do away with the whole dna mismatch engram rejection, as there's no logic to it... instead:
the nanites have completely rewrote the neural pathways in V's brain, meaning that if you placed V's engram into their body, they'd be forced to think like johnny. V would still believe and have whatever ideals and convictions (if any) as they did before soulkiller, so V is still V, but the decisions that they'd make to achieve their goals and live up to their ideals would resemble johnny's handy work. so, v is in command but johnny follows orders in the manner he chooses (or V does rather as there is no johnny) to, more or less. stay with me here, it's a bit rough.

now, this plays out one of 3 ways, and based on your relationship with johnny...

ending 1) V ignores johnny throughout the game, cuts him off, doesn't let him speak, ends conversations as early as possible, etc. minimal johnny contact. V trys to remain him/herself, but is unable to separate their thoughts from johnny's, because s/he lacks the knowledge that would give them an idea how johnny thoughts work, how he operates, etc. and through repetition V slowly turns into johnny, having their mind forced through his thought process relentlessly. eventually v becomes a mean spirited, manipulative, angry, violent killing machine, very much resembling johnny in actions and deeds, but V in overall intent/ideals.

ending 2) V lets johnny vent, at least hears him out, but the relationship is combative and antagonistic on both sides. V does more than the base johnny content, gets to know him and his friends/associates, and has a decent understanding of johnny, how he works, his personality, etc. (a view not just derived from silverhand himself, but tempered by those who knew him)
through persistence, determination, and most importantly knowledge - V is able to separate their thoughts from johnny's and force themselves to think how they would normally, and through repetition V slowly forces their neural pathways to something more closely resembling V's thought processes. however, because their arguments overall reinforced the will of both parties, they believe their respective manners are correct, they both dig their heals in, and it's more difficult to push those pathways. so, V remains mostly V, however there is almost a flip side that carries a stark contrast. not exactly D.I.D., or bi-polor disorders, but it's there and it's noticeable.

ending 3) like ending 2, V listens to johnny, they have a few arguments, however overall, especially when johnny starts to open up... their relationship becomes fairly cordial, even friendly. V starts to have an influence on him (like when rogue actually mentions you're a good influence on him, and he's a fairly decent human being now, and not such an A-hole). both V and johnny drop their guard bit by bit, and more of you rubs off on johnny then him on you. he stats to mirror your thought more than you do his. through this shift in his personality his thought process change little by little and by the time of the soulkiller bit his thought processes are somewhat in between V's and his at this juncture already. the result is that the neural pathways are less fortified, and are already closer to V's original process, and it's easier to push the goalposts. as a result this winds up with the V engram being most like the original V.

---edit several times) the allure of the go into the net ending is that supposedly V's engram will stay as unaltered as possible in this state, and at some point you may actually get a new body or something. and V stays V, while johnny gets the body.

Last edited:
if i were writing the ending i'd do away with the whole dna mismatch engram rejection, as there's no logic to it... instead:
the nanites have completely rewrote the neural pathways in V's brain, meaning that if you placed V's engram into their body, they'd be forced to think like johnny. V would still believe and have whatever ideals and convictions (if any) as they did before soulkiller, so V is still V, but the decisions that they'd make to achieve their goals and live up to their ideals would resemble johnny's handy work. so, v is in command but johnny follows orders in the manner he chooses (or V does rather as there is no johnny) to, more or less. stay with me here, it's a bit rough.

now, this plays out one of 3 ways, and based on your relationship with johnny...

ending 1) V ignores johnny throughout the game, cuts him off, doesn't let him speak, ends conversations as early as possible, etc. minimal johnny contact. V trys to remain him/herself, but is unable to separate their thoughts from johnny's, because s/he lacks the knowledge that would give them an idea how johnny thoughts work, how he operates, etc. and through repetition V slowly turns into johnny, having their mind forced through his thought process relentlessly. eventually v becomes a mean spirited, manipulative, angry, violent killing machine, very much resembling johnny in actions and deeds, but V in overall intent/ideals.

ending 2) V lets johnny vent, at least hears him out, but the relationship is combative and antagonistic on both sides. V does more than the base johnny content, gets to know him and his friends/associates, and has a decent understanding of johnny, how he works, his personality, etc. (a view not just derived from silverhand himself, but tempered by those who knew him)
through persistence, determination, and most importantly knowledge - V is able to separate their thoughts from johnny's and force themselves to think how they would normally, and through repetition V slowly forces their neural pathways to something more closely resembling V's thought processes. however, because their arguments overall reinforced the will of both parties, they believe their respective manners are correct, they both dig their heals in, and it's more difficult to push those pathways. so, V remains mostly V, however there is almost a flip side that carries a stark contrast. not exactly D.I.D., or bi-polor disorders, but it's there and it's noticeable.

ending 3) like ending 2, V listens to johnny, they have a few arguments, however overall, especially when johnny starts to open up... their relationship becomes fairly cordial, even friendly. V starts to have an influence on him (like when rogue actually mentions you're a good influence on him, and he's a fairly decent human being now, and not such an A-hole). both V and johnny drop their guard bit by bit, and more of you rubs off on johnny then him on you. he stats to mirror your thought more than you do his. through this shift in his personality his thought process change little by little and by the time of the soulkiller bit his thought processes are somewhat in between V's and his at this juncture already. the result is that the neural pathways are less fortified, and are already closer to V's original process, and it's easier to push the goalposts. as a result this winds up with the V engram being most like the original V.
Interesting ideas.

In several side quests (Delamain, soda machine). They say that I am already dead and that my existence is a mistake. This is an interesting detail. The AI no longer considers me human. Does that mean that V, after Dex's shot, doesn't have a soul?

---edit several times) the allure of the go into the net ending is that supposedly V's engram will stay as unaltered as possible in this state, and at some point you may actually get a new body or something. and V stays V, while johnny gets the body.
Yeah, a good ideas. I like the concept, that in order to secure V's psyche and avoid separation problems (like 6 months crap) V should sacrifice Johny's friendship, gear and quests

In several side quests (Delamain, soda machine). They say that I am already dead and that my existence is a mistake. This is an interesting detail. The AI no longer considers me human. Does that mean that V, after Dex's shot, doesn't have a soul?
If V is dead after Dex shot him, there is nothing left to grieve. Every day is a gift, so burn bright and regret nothing. For me this is motivation to do as much good as i can, feed fellas need feeding, saving fellas need saving and shoot fellas that need shooting, as Dutch in RDR2 said.
By the way, quest chain with crucifixion impressed me a lot

Last edited:
Yeah, why can't i leave the flawed mortal world for good and ascend to a pure data with my buddy Johny? This is not option for everyone, but i see no reason to forbid it.
This was the most obvious outcome, and the one which fits the world best.
It also conveys the message : "Let's forsake the pains and grief and misery of the earthly world. I heard they intercepted some signal from Alpha Centauri. What about going there and have a look ?"

This was the most obvious outcome, and the one which fits the world best.
It also conveys the message : "Let's forsake the pains and grief and misery of the earthly world. I heard they intercepted some signal from Alpha Centauri. What about going there and have a look ?"
Yes, and option to warn V's friends about his decision. Like, "lo, friends, do not lament my passing, for this is not the end, but a beginning of something new".

Do you know why the game turned out to be linear? Keanu Reeves did not immediately join the game. It seems that the game went on a different path at first. But after the introduction of Keanu, everything went differently. CDPR spent a lot of money on it. I wouldn't be surprised if it was 30-50% of the total budget. Therefore, the plot had to be put on rails. The vast majority of people will see only one ending. They will only pass the game once. And they can't afford to pay extra Keanu for even more scenes when you deviate from the plot. Because most people won't see these scenes. And when you tell them to make a plot where you need to avoid Johnny. This is strange. They spent a lot of money on it. They'll try to shove it right in your face

Something did happen in 2019, because looking at what we got and what we actually saw, sad. They said third person cutscenes will be in game, even those got scrapped probably cuz had no time to implement them all.

Customize your V but only see it where? In car and inventory? Epic.

Something did happen in 2019, because looking at what we got and what we actually saw, sad. They said third person cutscenes will be in game, even those got scrapped probably cuz had no time to implement them all.

Customize your V but only see it where? In car and inventory? Epic.
Alas, it is not our V, it was just borrowed to us(

Top Bottom