[Spoiler Alert] About the endings

+

Do you want more RPGs with happy endings?

• Total voters
meanwhile, CDPR's completely botched the refunds, and during the investors' call Adam basically said they can't speak about any DLCs because last gen is going to be their top priority for god knows how long now, with the holidays coming up and all that. :shrug:

at least there wasn't another delay to anger the players and lost the investors some money, right?

These endings would feel better for people if there was something else at stake, something besides survival. Since your life is technically taken away from your 2 hours in to the game and there was no way to get it back regardless of what you do or choose. The game even tells you half way that you will die as you are, there is no agency in this story. That's what blows the most.

How about redemption, revenge, helping others in need (saving someone etc.) wrapped into the main story, to give it some more weight? Taking the time you have to achieve something instead, so that the players feel they have accomplished something.

Even the Panam ending with a family and friends means nothing because you never even get to see it.

Regardless, my whole point was that the endings seem to have been constructed as "V needs to die we need to do everything in our hands to shoe horn that in, regardless of story inconsistencies."

I still enjoyed the game, but it could have been so much more and it was butchered.

I will probably buy the DLCs as I always love to do more, no matter the outcome of the game. It'll just be a damn shame if it doesn't change the game dramatically though because even then the DLCs will just feel as useless as everything else in the game. Why add DLC for a character that doesn't even matter in the end?
It's not the destination but the journey that matters. At some point everyone has to face their mortality and how it is dealt with is what measures the person. Just because V dies doesn't mean that V doesn't matter as a character.

That said it seems to me if the universe has so much biotech they could easily have a mechanical body that is passable as human that they could have transferred V's personality too. In addition why couldn't something like have happened for Johnny.

It's not the destination but the journey that matters. At some point everyone has to face their mortality and how it is dealt with is what measures the person. Just because V dies doesn't mean that V doesn't matter as a character.

That said it seems to me if the universe has so much biotech they could easily have a mechanical body that is passable as human that they could have transferred V's personality too. In addition why couldn't something like have happened for Johnny.
I agree with you to an extent.

I think the main issue is that the whole journey was pointless from our perspective as you could have just waited till the chip kills you and maybe even had a better story then with Johnny from the beginning. Whatever you do really does not matter, no matter how much the game says otherwise. Your choices are there for show and nothing else. V dying is not the big issue for me here, it's just how they went about it that matters to me.

I finished the game saturday, the game is still in my mind but everytime i see the icon on the desktop i get anxious and can't get myself to play it again. It's not the feeling you should get after playing a game. And sincerely i don't think CDPR will fix it, this thread is way too small compared to the people that bought the game.
No. This thread is only growing, larger and larger after people have finished the game, and discussion has ramped up. Which I am very glad to see. Not only that this can't be the only place people are giving feedback on the ending. I refuse to believe CDPR won't at least acknowledge us.

We have a real chance here for our voices to be heard, and maybe, just maybe CDPR listening.

Vampire the maskerade bloodlines was dark too. But you atleast hade a choise in the ending. I know of plenty of dark endings that i like in games/movies/anime/manga but this one just sucks. Hopefully the dlc:s will add something of substance. But if its just more of the same i wont buy em. And i wont play them. Feels like the game changed way to much from planning to production....

No. This thread is only growing, larger and larger after people have finished the game, and discussion has ramped up. Which I am very glad to see. Not only that this can't be the only place people are giving feedback on the ending. I refuse to believe CDPR won't at least acknowledge us.

We have a real chance here for our voices to be heard, and maybe, just maybe CDPR listening.

One can only dream!

I agree with you to an extent.

I think the main issue is that the whole journey was pointless from our perspective as you could have just waited till the chip kills you and maybe even had a better story then with Johnny from the beginning. Whatever you do really does not matter, no matter how much the game says otherwise. Your choices are there for show and nothing else. V dying is not the big issue for me here, it's just how they went about it that matters to me.

I see what you're saying, the episodic nature of it. The illusion of choice even when there really isn't one happens in life too. I would like to think that when V got the star ending that six months was just an estimate. Life is will and what one of the characters rang true to me. If you believe that you are going to die then your days are numbered. It's so true and maybe it alludes to V thinking more positive and living longer. I'm hoping for more from this perspective from the DLC.

Maybe I'm just completely different, but the idea of letting someone else -- even if it's just a copy of you -- take over your body and live out the rest of your life feels completely invasive to me. The whole idea makes my skin crawl. I don't see how anyone can see any of these endings as better than V just dying in the one man assault on Arasaka.
Agreed. They somehow make the suicide ending the most appealing - it's insane.

One thing I am afriad that some of the feedback cdpr might get is that people actually like the nomad ending so much, if they do fix anything, the best we get is copy V surviving, which is alluded to anyway in that particular ending. I don't want copy V to survive I want MY (our) V to survive. The V we struggled with. I don't want V to be soulkilled. I want V to triumph. Being Soulkilled is abject failure. As others have said people are trivializing getting soulkilled. Ignoring it.

TBH I feel like there are multiple discussions and arguements going on right now side by side. Some trying justify and explain the story, and some simply stating the feeling and emotions the ending left behind in them. And it seems to be a universal agreement that feel is emptiness, lack of satisfaction and closure, depression.

And those emotions are fact. By "explaining" to the plot and narrative to us won't change the way the ending left us feel. And it won't change the fact that it kills replayablity for many. All we ask is for CDPR to hear us and offer an alternative ending so we can feel like we can enjoy this game further in future content.

I am wondering if they have content planned mid-game that can extend the story's ending and provide alternative paths forward. Granted, I'm more partial to post-game content that lets us put to bed V's fate, for better or for worse.

Despite the implications of the 6 month ticking clock, I'm a firm believer that the tarot card stuff isn't purely coincidental. It's the last thing in the entire credits video roll. It's no coincidence that V sees the Devil tarot card in the Arasaka ending. There's hidden meaning here and I truly believe that V's story isn't concluded by Alt's prediction.

The V we struggled with. I don't want V to be soulkilled. I want V to triumph. Being Soulkilled is abject failure. As others have said people are trivializing getting soulkilled. Ignoring it.

Soulkiller just sounds terrifying because of the name, but it's mostly a misnomer. The entire concept of Anatta is that there is no self or soul to begin with and that humans are constructs of past, present, and future identities. Transhumanism tackles this head on without providing anything conclusive.

Last edited:

Don't think that I haven't been dropping this in recent videos for notable YouTubers who do game news coverage in the vain hope that one of them will look at this thread and do a video on it.

I doubt it, but maybe.

I suggest if anyone of you really care about this being changed, or at least having some kind of resolution added that would make everyone happy. Or hell, at least giving players more agency for what their choices are. At least that. Those that want the bleak nihilistic ending and those that want something more hopeful, start sharing the thread around.

I am wondering if they have content planned mid-game that can extend the story's ending and provide alternative paths forward. Granted, I'm more partial to post-game content that lets us put to bed V's fate, for better or for worse.

Despite the implications of the 6 month ticking clock, I'm a firm believer that the tarot card stuff isn't purely coincidental. It's the last thing in the entire credits video roll. It's no coincidence that V sees the Devil tarot card in the Arasaka ending. There's hidden meaning here and I truly believe that V's story isn't concluded by Alt's prediction.
Yes the mid-game addition that leads to different ending path where we can save V would be the best option we could get. Expanding current endings can be kinda messy, unless you do one specific one but then again, other endings would mean a lot less then.

Many of the YouTubers I find seem reluctant to admit they were wrong about this game now it's out.
Absolutely, seems like a lot of them are drones that follow the mass opinion or contrarians, very rarely do you run into someone being genuinely honest and objective it seems like. Cyberpunk was the perfect example of that.

Yeah, but as BGM45 said, they are totally commited to make the game work on last-gen and iron-out the bugs, so even if we get a 100% consensus that we need better endings, we still won't get anything for quite some time... Until then, I've read so many people have lost all their will to replay the game after learning about the other endings other than the one they picked that I wouldn't be surprised if most people gave up on the game after 3 or 4 months...

Many of the YouTubers I find seem reluctant to admit they were wrong about this game now it's out.

I dunno, YongYea seems to be taking them to task. As well ReviewTechUSA and LegacyKillaHD, if I'm going by the videos they've put out yesterday and today are indication.

It is a good game, but the endings are ruining the game for us. It' is not that they are bad, but they are all simmilar and dark. Just need one ending where V pushes through ad survives, so we can feel good and do another playthrough knowing that this is the option that we can go for and not everything ends with death.

Yes the mid-game addition that leads to different ending path where we can save V would be the best option we could get. Expanding current endings can be kinda messy, unless you do one specific one but then again, other endings would mean a lot less then.

I had a couple ideas on how mid-game DLC's could add endings, and I'm sure an experienced writing team as CDPR's could come up with something worthwhile.

Top Bottom