[Spoiler Alert] About the endings

+

Do you want more RPGs with happy endings?

• Total voters
I just did the Prophet Gerry mission. And I don't get it. "Lack of closure sucks." Is this an open mocking of the endings?
I was kinda expecting Jhonny to maybe explain something about the endings that I don't get. But it just feels like the devs are just criticising their own endings atm.

I just did the Prophet Gerry mission. And I don't get it. "Lack of closure sucks." Is this an open mocking of the endings?
I was kinda expecting Jhonny to maybe explain something about the endings that I don't get. But it just feels like the devs are just criticising their own endings atm.
Ah yeah, i told you guys that they are mocking is. You can read some of the shards, quite a few of them are about survival.

Yup I did it too, and seeing that dialog option I instantly thought, oh is this some foreshadowing potentially ? :) Like many other things

I don't know if this will give anyone some sort of hope or maybe some inspiration. But with the Arasaka ending, there is a way out of that one - at least, if you sign yourself over. This is due to Michiko Arasaka - the girl genius - who is mentioned by Goro etc. She's NUSA aligned, NUSA - and Militech are basically one of the same at this point, they're heavily interlaced. If someone was to get V out it would be Michiko. The question, however, is more like 'why', really?

Honestly the same is like that for most things regarding V, what is going to happen to V that allows for the continuation of their story, where Johnny Boy, is more likely to be written out and becomes a side character rather than a near on 'main character protag'.

I mean in every ending, barring the suicide one - they're going to have to make that work. Still with that one, when Johnny is in your body it's kind of weird for me. Like, what can happen there where V regains their body other than forcibly hacking their own chip and taking it over as an AI?

This thread is 352 pages long, so everything I say is probably already said multiple times. But I need to vent, so bear with me.

Whole main story revolves around V battling to survive. But because every ending has you doomed regardless, whole plot feels pointless miseryfest.

I mean, at the end you are engram anyway, there is already reason for existential crisis, so imminent death seems just excessive misery.

This thread is 352 pages long, so everything I say is probably already said multiple times. But I need to vent, so bear with me.

Whole main story revolves around V battling to survive. But because every ending has you doomed regardless, whole plot feels pointless miseryfest.

I mean, at the end you are engram anyway, there is already reason for existential crisis, so imminent death seems just excessive misery.
You're not really an engram. From what I understood, Alt creates a copy of V (the engram) and writes this engram on the original brain, which got wiped clean in terms of memories. So you are still the same organic, original V, just that your brain got re-initialized sort of.

The same can be said if you let Johnny take your body, actual real organic V doesn't die, it's more like their entire memories are overwritten with Johnny's.

This line of reasoning assumes that consciousness = the soul = the brain.

Yup, those endings would have been pretty decent if they would have stopped before spitting out those 6 months
Post automatically merged:

That running animation, looks like you have a hunchback.

Not gonna lie, it made me laugh

Last edited:
You're not really an engram. From what I understood, Alt creates a copy of V (the engram) and writes this engram on the original brain, which got wiped clean in terms of memories. So you are still the same organic, original V, just that your brain got re-initialized sort of.

The same can be said if you let Johnny take your body, actual real organic V doesn't die, it's more like their entire memories are overwritten with Johnny's.

This line of reasoning assumes that consciousness = the soul = the brain.

Maybe? I understood it differently, but honestly not sure. I Should probably play the ending again.

I don't know if this will give anyone some sort of hope or maybe some inspiration. But with the Arasaka ending, there is a way out of that one - at least, if you sign yourself over. This is due to Michiko Arasaka - the girl genius - who is mentioned by Goro etc. She's NUSA aligned, NUSA - and Militech are basically one of the same at this point, they're heavily interlaced. If someone was to get V out it would be Michiko. The question, however, is more like 'why', really?

Honestly the same is like that for most things regarding V, what is going to happen to V that allows for the continuation of their story, where Johnny Boy, is more likely to be written out and becomes a side character rather than a near on 'main character protag'.

I mean in every ending, barring the suicide one - they're going to have to make that work. Still with that one, when Johnny is in your body it's kind of weird for me. Like, what can happen there where V regains their body other than forcibly hacking their own chip and taking it over as an AI?
Writers could actually make a lot out of this, even the suicide ending. Sequel: Shot is heard, camera goes back to V. Smoking gun, a hand on V's wrist pulled the gun away from the head. A voice: "Thought you would get out that easily? ..." New segment opens up ...

Arasaka ending: Takemura got time to think, watched the developments, noticed Arasaka is up to no good concerning V, decides to free her, 'cause it's the honourable thing to do. But first he puts together a team of people he can trust in this matter - people who got help from V or love V.

We could make up a lot, but as I've written before, I don't want to fix CDPR's shortcomings in my mind. I don't see this as my task as a gamer, as a customer. I expect them to deliver something that is more fleshed out or tangible. They don't have to get explicit all the way, but they have to hint strongly at something hopeful, in my opinion (for some endings at least). As it stands now, I don't see this. I only see that they strongly hint at V's inevitable death. Take the Arasaka deal with the devil ending again as an example.

There is this one guy in this thread here who keeps telling us to mind the little details. I always do that. Take a look at the facial expressions, the gestures, the pacing of V's movement. V is incredibly vulnerable in this scene. He/she knows this is the end of the line. There is actually no hope in him/her to come back from this whatsoever. The terms of the contract were painfully clear. Even the adjustment of his/her necklace is masterfully done and shows that this is the only thing he/she now has any control over. Making himself/herself passable looking ... Leaving the stage with some last shred of dignity. Then the music sets in and at this point, there is the only vague hope we can get out of this scene, since the title playing seems to be called "Never fade away". But really, that's so freakin' thin ...

In my second ending, I chose "call Panam for help" and played as V, busted Arasaka Tower with Panam and Soul, he died and at the end, I chose to leave the body to Jonny. After that Jonny visited some kind of memorial and left necklace for V and pistol for Rogue, which she was not at the Arasaka Tower and didn^t die there but it was like as if she died there. Devs should fix that ending in which Rogue has no place and shouldn't have died.

I guess it's completely possible that the 6 months timer is just a way for them to easily sell more units of a paid DLC. I.e. if you want to see V live, then get the DLC...

If those endings are truly open ended for continuation, it could be some sort of excuse. But if not, they are bad, mainly cuz not a single one of them has closure unless you give body to Jhonny.

Doubt it. Arasaka ending is a corporation one, probably as a starting point for next expansion. You either way will be working for Arasaka voluntarily if you chose the "go back to Earth" since you don't have any better options and they will pay well or also "voluntarily" as you just love Arasaka and are willing to die for her again and again and again, as long as they will keep you respawning from Mikoshi :)

Jokes aside (tho I find Arasaka - Mikoshi ending the be the best for climatic and world fitting purposes), Johnny said that Mikoshi is the only place on Earth where Arasaka can do this what they (=Saburo) consider as a ultimate goal - they reprogram people there to fit their (=Saburo) needs.

He just happen to get one of the most skilled person on the planet (flatlinening Smasher and almost Odo if Goro won't be persuasive enough) that voluntarily signs papers to be sent into Mikoshi (official Save Your Soul program while Arasaka "will try to find a new host", that might take sometime, since "there is no technology for it yet", but it is also stated that reprograming engrams is very complicated procedure and also take some time ;)

Last edited:
Everyone says that the ending with Panam is a good ending. But why didn't anyone pay attention to the message from her during the credits? She says she's not going back to camp today. That means V was without Panam. The rest of the messages also make it clear that this is an answering machine. V could not answer them. This suggests that V died while Panam was not around. Still think this ending is "good"?

Everyone says that the ending with Panam is a good ending. But why didn't anyone pay attention to the message from her during the credits? She says she's not going back to camp today. That means V was without Panam. The rest of the messages also make it clear that this is an answering machine. V could not answer them. This suggests that V died while Panam was not around. Still think this ending is "good"?

In my ending V went with nomads and romanced Judy and in Judy's message V calls Judy for breakfast in background, so very much alive then. I didn't get Panam's message you're referring to, but I feel like you're reading too much into it.

She's a nomad clan leader and shes the kind to take matters in her own hands, she probably went to strike deals/scout/scavenge and was cut off by a storm, storms in CP aren't the same as irl, they're harsh and can kill you easily if you don't know what to do, all endings have a voicemail, all of 'em, you can hear V in some of them but like in 2 tops I think.

That's for the sake of the epilogue. Like it'd be weird if she was sending him a message if they were right there in front of them. It also mentions that they had plans. Also 'I'm so lucky to have you, V' meaning V is currently still alive, otherwise, it'd have been 'I'm so lucky to have had you.'

I mean V can always be riding around her, but let's face it. In this ending perhaps the only person that Panam and Mitch would leave behind in camp to keep people in line would be V. Especially since they're not in tip-top form.

On the bright side, I think there is some indication that in the Nomad ending you found the cure anyway (in Arizona?), based on the voice mails.
I mean think about it, by the time you supposedly receive the voice mails in the Nomad ending, you're already somewhere in the Badlands or Arizona (i.e. some time, maybe weeks or months already passed). If you were still sick and most likely getting worse, then Judy/Panam wouldn't be so calm/happy/relaxed in their voice mails. I mean both of them don't mention anything about your condition etc. I would imagine that if you weren't cured they wouldn't be so relaxed about it and would at least seem a bit more stressed.

Judy is basically living the good life with you making breakfast etc. if female V and Panam is a bit more focused on her new leadership role if male V, but still basically implying that there's no impending doom...

Maybe it would be great if a dev could actually confirm this as it's clear most people don't like having to interpret these details...

There is also this interesting forum post (not mine) about a data shard in the Nomad ending:

On the bright side, I think there is some indication that in the Nomad ending you found the cure anyway (in Arizona?), based on the voice mails.
I mean think about it, by the time you supposedly receive the voice mails in the Nomad ending, you're already somewhere in the Badlands or Arizona (i.e. some time, maybe weeks or months already passed). If you were still sick and most likely getting worse, then Judy/Panam wouldn't be so calm/happy/relaxed in their voice mails. I mean both of them don't mention anything about your condition etc. I would imagine that if you weren't cured they wouldn't be so relaxed about it and would at least seem a bit more stressed.

Judy is basically living the good life with you making breakfast etc. if female V and Panam is a bit more focused on her new leadership role if male V, but still basically implying that there's no impending doom...

Maybe it would be great if a dev could actually confirm this as it's clear most people don't like having to interpret these details...
Its all just speculation.

Top Bottom