[SPOILER] Who is really the Tree Spirit of Velen?

+
Who is really the Tree Spirit of Velen?
Greetings everyone!

The Red Baron and the three Crones is one of the best chapters in the game. But many mysteries still unresolved like the identity of the Tree's Spirit wich is a threat for the witches.

This is my own theory.

There is many books telling the mythological story of Velen, it allows us to deduct elements.

Very long ago, in a very ancient time lived a druidess as powerfull as a godess. She was known as "The one who knows" and she rules Velen. She has three malefic daughters (the three witches, the Ladies of the Wood). The jealous daughters betrayed the druidess and lock her soul into a tree under the Hill.

An other story is more positiv for the tree witches. Indeed, the Lady becomes mad threatening any Velen. To save the part of the country, the three sisters murdered their mother but the soul of the druidess still alive under the hill.

The tree' spirit would thus be the three witches' mother, the ancient duidress. It's why the witches are afraid about her.

It's why I have chosen to unleash her in my game.... I will her help against the three witches....RIP Bloody Baron :/.

Last edited:
Mother of the Crones, thats all i know.
More infos are impossible to get about her.
At least i did not find anything.

Last edited:
It's the mother of the Crones. He moved to the swamp centuries ago with her daughters and he became the most powerful force in Velen (killing the druids in the process) but the Crones betrayed her and took the control. His spirit still lives in that tree.

Is it possible that the spirit and the Crones were once elves?
I remember when Ciri was held by the Crones one of them said that Ciri's blood reminds them of their youth.
And there's also the familiarity in the way they speak of Eredin, like they know him personally or something.

Just what I thought.

Is it possible that the spirit and the Crones were once elves?

Certainly they were not elves. Reading the book 'She Who Knows' (which can be found in royal palace of Vizima), we find out who they are:
''Folk say there were four at first. The Mother, She-Who-Knows, the Lady of the Wood, came here from a faraway land and since she suffered terribly from loneliness, she made three daughters out of dirt and water. A long, long time ago the Mother was sole ruler of all of Velen. Her daughters brought her the people's requests and served as her voice.''
Also, we find out that the
daughters killed their mother because ''the Lady of the Wood slipped deeper and deeper into madness.''
''
When spring came once more, and with it the night of sacrifices, they killed their mother and buried her in the bog. Her blood watered the oak atop Ard Cerbin, and from then on the tree grew wholesome and hearty fruit for the people. As for the Lady's immortal soul, it refused to leave its beloved land and so the sisters imprisoned it. To this day it lies trapped beneath the Whispering Hillock, where it thrashes about in powerless rage.''

Potential plot hole (correct me if I got something wrong): the book says the spirit has been buried in Aard Cerbin yet she's not there - She's under the Whispering Hillock, Aard Cerbin is where the Sabbath takes place.

Certainly they were not elves. Reading the book 'She Who Knows' (which can be found in royal palace of Vizima), we find out who they are:
''Folk say there were four at first. The Mother, She-Who-Knows, the Lady of the Wood, came here from a faraway land and since she suffered terribly from loneliness, she made three daughters out of dirt and water. A long, long time ago the Mother was sole ruler of all of Velen. Her daughters brought her the people's requests and served as her voice.''
Also, we find out that the
daughters killed their mother because ''the Lady of the Wood slipped deeper and deeper into madness.''
''
When spring came once more, and with it the night of sacrifices, they killed their mother and buried her in the bog. Her blood watered the oak atop Ard Cerbin, and from then on the tree grew wholesome and hearty fruit for the people. As for the Lady's immortal soul, it refused to leave its beloved land and so the sisters imprisoned it. To this day it lies trapped beneath the Whispering Hillock, where it thrashes about in powerless rage.''

Well that clears up the crones now only their creator remains as to her origins . Thank forgot about this .

Potential plot hole (correct me if I got something wrong): the book says the spirit has been buried in Aard Cerbin yet she's not there - She's under the Whispering Hillock, Aard Cerbin is where the Sabbath takes place.

No, it specifically says that her body was buried under Aard Cerbin and the sister's took her soul and imprisoned it under the Whispering Hillock.

Top Bottom