[Spoilers] What's your Opinion on Blood and Wine?

+
Quality of Blood and wine

I cannot believe how good Blood and wine so far is. Everything is better than in the main game. Every quest feels so unique and thus far I haven't run into any bad (fetch) ones. Main quest also amazing, music and how it connects with what is happening is beautiful! CD Projekt red really raised the bar with this expansion. I can't even imagine how good will Cyberpunk be if they continue in this direction.

Thank you CD, you have fill my life with so much needed happiness at least for a little while.

Not gonna go into great detail here, but.....

its like watching great movie, reading a gripping novel, playing a wonderful game and looking at a stunning piece of art all at the same time.

Most other games strive for this perfection, yet sadly come up short most of the time, but this DLC ticks all the boxes and more.

A terrific piece of work, amd for this I thank the whole CDPR team whole heartedly.

It makes what would seem to be a small change which made a massive difference for me. The addition of a home for Geralt allowed me to play the role with a greater sense of grounding and reality. I could return somewhere and plan the next day. I found myself setting up a routine and living within the world more than I did in the base game. Again the strength of the game for me was in the secondary tasks and contracts, living a Witcher's life as opposed to the main storyline. It functions well enough and is reasonably interesting. It's strength is its characters and their performance. It just feels forced compared to the more natural process of taking jobs from notice boards and still getting to experience a rich and interesting set of characters and storylines.

This though brings with it frustrations. The game "needed" a main storyline but I'd be curious how it would have gone if the time and funds that went into developing a primary story had instead gone into a variety of contracts and secondary stories. It would have been great if they'd further expanded on the ability to invite people to your home and then take part in activities with them - a last send off if you will. What is present in the expansion does nicely end the story. It does it cleanly and with a smile but I can't help but have wanted more with the shift in experience that the new additions afforded.

It's a stunning setting that is a joy to explore with some truly gorgeous interior environments and a desire to have fun with what it offers the player.

Hm, I haven't touched too many secondary quests, so I don't want to comment on that, but my verdict isn't that postive I am afraid.

Toussaint looks great, you can see that they put a lot of work into it and didn't just rehash old regions. But I really thought we would see the palace, the inside of it. Maybe even a ball. The outside looks great, the inside was meh.

Monsters:
More and different monsters, yes, but the fights with the vampires were rather ...tame? The fight with Dettlaf was something else, but all the other vampires were just like before.

I had some kind of sympathy with Dettlaf until he went crazy and started to attack innocents, at this point I only wanted to see him dead.

I could understand Syanna, but I had a hard time to have sympathy for her either. Her story resembles a lot of "The Lesser Evil" and even in that story I had my troubles to have sympathy for Renfri.

Gaunter and Olgierd were definitive better.

However Anna Henrietta was awesome, that's exactly how I would imagine her after knowing her from the books. Loved her accent.

The overall main story was o-kay, I thought we would investigate a lot more. It was too soon revealed that a vampire was behind it and it was too obvious that there were other factors behind him. It wasn't surprising. There were also too many similiarities to The Lesser Evil.

At the same time I think the story about Vivienne was a lot more interesting, even though it was short.

And I don't understand why they brought back Regis, but didn't put Fringilla into it. Don't get me wrong, I like Regis and I liked the conversations with him, in the books and here, but it feels weird that he is in, but neither is Fringilla nor Dandelion, even thought they have such a history with this place.

Overall I think HoS was a lot better, maybe my expectation was too high after HoS, but it wasn't me who set up that high standard.

Playing though I got what I would assume is the good ending. "Rescue" Syanna and find out her motivations, she reconciles with her sister and it's all sunshine and rainbows. The whole illusionary world was fucking awful though. I hated pretty much every minute of it.

Out of curiosity I went back to a branching save I had and instead went after the Unseen and Orianna. So... much... better. A lot darker, a lot more focused and seemingly having had more love shown to the presentation and cutscenes. The use of the trailer/menu theme, the sense of dread and the maintained tone all worked together beautifully. I got to find out more of what was going on in the wider scheme of things, the desire to go back to their own world for the higher vampires, more information and conversation with Regis and a strong if bleak finish. I got to avoid that fucking illusionary world as well.

I'm a bit curious to see if it's possible to keep both sisters alive when going after the unseen though. The scenes in the crypt were so well done though compared to the sisters hugging it out that the "good" ending feels more of a half measure. It's odd to be more drawn to the "bad" end in this instance.

So, I don't know if this is the right thread to point this out but...I noticed that in Toussaint(which is a lot more south than Redania) the sun rises later in the morning than it does in Skellige/Northern Realms. Around 5-6 o clock, like it does irl in my country. I thought this was a very nice detail. Well Done CDPR!!

I actually liked the fairy tale world : ) I was just sad I did not get to see Orianna ever again after the party : (

I love Blood and Wine. My first play through was very enjoyable. Only two issues, I don't seem to be able to solve a treasure quest call Applied Escapology. The other is not a game issue but more a personal wish -

Yennefer - a quest or two, a final unicorn scene between them, would have made it perfect for me.

I am pleased Blood and Wine gives Geralt a home, a retirement, and a reason to go on with the game after the main Wild Hunt play through. I get so caught up in the main story I find myself at the end and looking at half completed maps and trying to squeeze in Heart and Stone somewhere. Once the main story of Wild Hunt is completed, I tend to lose interest and it becomes laborious cleaning up those lose ends.

Now with Blood and Wine, the incentive is there to clean up lose ends and do the expansions after the Wild Hunt story, as the story goes on. Heart of Stone has a place. There is a reason to tie up those lose ends between the Wild Hunt story and beginning the expansions.

All in all, well done CDPR on an excellent job.

I really disliked Syanna she was cruel and manipulative and I really had no sympathy for her at all, the fact that she got a happy ending while with reconciling with her sister was really a bitter disappointment to me, and the fact that she was a very well kept captive.
I went back and did both endings one where i gave her the ribbon and the other where i did not. I hated the one with the ribbon ending.
I felt sorry for Dettlaff who was used by her, although i do not agree with what he did to the city and to the other vampires because essentially now they will be hunted because of it, but it was all due to Syanna's actions, she disgusted me so much.

Apart from my final "going home" quest being bugged for me. It was an amazing experience. The humour, characters and plot were all amazing crafted. Can't help but feel disappointed that this is the end of the road however.

- Thankyou for the 180 hours of Witcher 3 CDPR.

Blood and Wine is great but i think there is some bugs to fix yet. Skellig deck is actually pretty good.

I know this is not a talk topic, only opnion, but some one can tell me (can be via PM) if Corvo Bianco upgrades buged? Like grindstone and the secret room don't showing up?

Guest 3888951

The game is amazing. I feel the main quest moved a little too fast. Also, after the end of the main quest, the world doesn't fit the choices you've made. For example, in one variation of the ending, I allowed Syanna to die and let Dettlaff go. After getting out of prison and finding proof of Syanna's intention for Annrietta to be the fifth victim, I went to the cemetary to present it to her. She was dressed in black, mourning and clearly didn't want to have anything to do with me. Yet after the ending I went to the palace and everything was ho-hum, including Annarietta herself. I feel she should continue wanting to have nothing to do with you, rather than want to chat about the tournament. Contrast this to the ending where she dies: the place where she stood before has a throne-chair, which is surrounded with white roses.

tldr: After the main quest ending, CDP24 should add more dialogue options to characters that represent the ending and some of the choices you've made throughout the game. That's the only thing they could improve on, everything else is near perfect!

Upsa i forgot this thread exists, so hope nothing speaks against it if i just copy paste my opinion about B&W here, because it fits much better here than into the discussion thread.

So, first playthrough done. And i have still a smile in my face.
Even if I got the worst ending...

All in all i can say that was a well made expansion. Worth every cent, and even more. :like: :like: :like:
A few points could have been better, but nothing is perfect.

Characters,Sound,Graphics,Quests, Atmosphere- simply the whole packet just superb.

The Story was interesting and fascinating. But not so much terrifying than i expected.
Nothing heinous and in general not enough deaths for "a beast that threatening a whole city".

Many different vampires, Higher Vampires and the Ancient Vampire ( i wished he could have beend given more screentime, he was really frightening )
But after a "bad try" i know he could never been the main villain. Geralt would simply had no chance against that :D

Dettlaff on the other hand was also very good in my opinion. His reasons for his actions were reasonable ( sure, love is nothing new but hey it works).
And he can also fight really tough...oh yes....i didn't expected that after the first "little" fight with him. That was a nice suprise.
And his "true" form was also badass, i was hoping to see that thing from the trailer at the end ^^.

TLDR:
It was really good entertainment from start till end.
And that although i missed the fairytale land . Seems like i must play it again ... :D

For me another Goty. Nothing else this year comes close to it.

Congrats and a thanks to CDPR Devs.
:cheers:

Update:
So, after reloading a save game and played now the other final act and visited the fairytale land, i have a even bigger smile in my face.
It's just awesome.. hard to describe how much i like this. The look, the atmosphere....and i had a few good laughs also :D

Also the one-nightday-stand with Syanna fits very well into it and was well made.
All in all a perfect little word. Very well made. After finished it, i just reloaded and played it again.

Last edited:
Let me prephrase this by saying that overall I appreciate the effort put into this expansion and that I enjoyed my time in Toussaint, apart from the Main Quest.

So let's start with the good bits:

Toussaint

Looks great, feels great and is utterly believeable. The sidequests and contracts are almost always very well connected to the landscape and the general feel of Toussaint, most question marks are actually part of several sidequests and contracts so I felt this was a good use of the map. I would really appreciate it, if CDPR could actually spend a couple of hours to redesign the Skellige question marks in that way. Remove all the smuggler cashes, add some monster nests that make sense, add some fishing contracts (the like the wintner contracts). The whole place also feels much more organic. White Orchard felt like that and they managed to put it on a bigger scale which is good. Beauclair looks absolutely stunning and you finally really feel like you have a multitude of vendors that specialize in different things.

Side Quests and Witcher Contracts

Mostly great stuff. Well thought out, a really good mixture of straight up Witchering, being a PI and straight up adventuring. Almost all of them contain little bits of story that you can easily miss, a lot of winks and nods to several other RPGs, films, comics and what not. Because this is the second expansion and they introduce new monsters again you now have a really massive variety of monsters which need all kinds of different strategy, which again makes it fun. The quests are well spread out so they take you to every corner of the map without it feeling like Skyrim, you know, showing off the map for showing off the maps sake. It makes sense. The same goes for abandones places, which finally really team with life once you liberated them. Even the bandit camps are now meaningfully connected and even acknowledge each other and another band that is situated in a different area. The Witcher school gear is finally not such a drag and some dreary rubbish like it was in the main game. The story that is told about the Witchers who left the stuff is better and feels bigger and more rich. The gear itself feels a bit hit and miss to me in terms of looks. Overall I had great fun doing those quests and could have utterly lived without the main quest and instead be given another 20 or so of those kind of quests instead. I think the story could have just been that Anna Henrietta offers Geralt the position of court witcher and that's about it. That would have been fine with me.

Now let's get onto the bad bits:

Corvo Bianco

Well what a waste of space. Not only do you have no input into what exactly you want to do with the place but it's also utterly useless. Why can I renovate a place but not pick the type of furniture I want to use? Why do I only have the chance of using the hill as a herb garden instead of planting wine there, grazing cattle, building a proper green house, what ever really. Why do the servant's quarters still look like rubbish and I have no option of upgrading them and having my workers have a nice place? Why do I have to have a stable for a horse that roams around the whole place anyway? Why can't I open a small wineshop in there or a tavern or, if I decide to plant wine, have women in there stomping grapes? Why don't I get a choice how the inside of my newly renovated house should look? Maybe I don't want a dreary and dark place and would prefer to have some windows punched into it? Or have a winter garden or a proper terrace? Why am I not able to choose furniture? Why is it so feckin dark in there? Why can't I decide where to place what? Why is there no explanation on which trophies I can place? And why isn't there a place in Beauclair to mount my monster trophies so I can put them up instead of paintings? Why are there no painters of other artists in Beauclair from which I can buy painints? Why don't I have the possibility to paint my coat of arms on the front of the house? Give the whole place a new name?

The biggest issue though which I discussed in several other threads: Why oh why am I not able to invite people during the story or at least have a big party at the end of it which I need to prepare? If we don't get that then what is this place for anyway? That is an absolute and utter bummer that is.

Main Quest

Absolute and utter nonse. Parts of it have to do with the characters involved, but I shall go into that later and more specific. In general it's just a bunch of rubbish. A clever and intelligent woman like Syanna gets caught because she steals wine and tries to get an heirloom. Utter bullshit. Besides... how did Orianna even get it and Anna Henrietta didn't arrest her on the spot for having it but not reporting to the court? Anyway. It's just nonsense. So you have an all powerful vampire who can appear anywhere from nowwhere and basically has controll over the whole vampiric population of the word if he wants to put doesn't have a clue where his girl is? This girl that somehow manages with the help of some everyday thugs to deliver messages to him. Instead of tracking them, torturing them to reveal what they know or anything he simply does what he is told because... oh my girl is in danger?

So let's go over the events: you track the beast fairly easily during a court game, meet Regis, brew a potion, talk to a boot black, find the lair, find out where some wine comes from, find the wine missing, go to a party where a dude who has been the main antagonist in name is supposed to be to find out he is dead but never even see him, get told Syanna is involved instead of finding it out yourself to the total surprise of the duchess, capture her, fight some vampires in the street, go down the yellow brick road and solve a "plot" in the end?

Wow... talk about blowing your wad fast and early. It doesn't make sense to begin with, especially since someone as smart as Syanna wouldn't just willy nilly hang around somewhere in Toussaint and reveal her identity to her helpers that easily to begin with. And what was she hoping to accomplish? Kill Anna Henrietta and then what? Does she think that with her 50 guys she, someone banished from the land by ducal decree, can just ride up to the castle and make herself duchess? Or manage to hide for long that all those killings were connected and the only one who gained from them was her? Fight off the 100 or so knights plus probably several hundred in the ducal guard? If you want this to work as a main quest you need to give her something worthwhile to go for. If she wants to be duchess she should go after the functionality of Anna Henrietta's court. Kill her advisors and ministers and maybe even the military leaders. After that launch an invasion Daenery's Targarean style. That would have made sense. That would have also left you with several interesting show downs. Can Regis convince Dettlaff that Syanna is just using him? Who do you side with? If you side with any of them what choices do you make to ensure your party wins? As it is it's just a bunch of hogwash with a thoroughly underwhelming antagonist because she has no real goal, no real agenda and lacks the cunning and intelligence she actually posesses. You wouldn't even need to hint at something strange. Just have Anna Henrietta call Geralt and appoint him court witcher and then gradually uncover the scheming. Maybe even connect it to some sidequests so it depends on which ones you do when what kind of information you have and what choices are open to you.

The only part I absolutely loved what the fairy tale world. That could have had more quests and could have been much longer. It wasn't exactly that it took place when it took place why I liked it but because of their take on the fairly tales. It was amazing. Btw. Did anybody ever think it was odd that Syanna's parents would banish her instead of imprisoning her in the fairly tale? I mean... Anna Henrietta thought of it. So why not them?

Characters

Regis
Don't get me started. I said it before and I said it again: how dare you bring back Regis? How dare you do it in such a stupid fashion? Oh I was a blop but Detlaff came and sprinkled some flour and yeast on me and put me in the fridge and from there I grew back. Obviously that is overexagerating it. Still... utterly stupid. It took him 50 years to grow back his head and we are supposed to believe because his boyfriend is such a cool dude he can revive him from a smear on the wall in 10 years? Furthermore in 10 years Regis has no inclination to go look for Geralt or Dandelion or anybody really? He just hangs around in Beauclair and then shows up out of nowhere? Seriously? I said before this thing came out that it was stupid and I stick to my guns. Stupid. His character was well done, I give him that, he was the Regis I liked from the books but it was just stupid bringing him back, especially because you can't unite him with at least Dandelion or Zoltan or Parceval Schuttenbach. What was the point?

Anna Henrietta
Now there is a character taken straight from the book. The only downside here is that she is far to forgiving of Syanna. This is a woman who handed down a friggin death sentence/banishment to a guy who was considering cheating on her (even though she cheated with him before). So her sister slaughters 4 knights, is the reason for plunging Beauclair into the abyss of vampiric attacks but yeah... I forgive you sis cause I love you so. Jesus... I call malarkey. Besides... no advances on Geralt to get back on Dandelion? That's harsh.

Dettlaf
Didn't get him. Rubbish overall character. Oh he doesn't understand humans, yet he lives in a place thoroughly colonized by humans, goes to the bootblack every two days, hangs around taverns and what not. Oh he accepted her into his clan and he is like an animal when it comes to his pack, yet higher vampires are supposed to be renowned for their reasoning and their intelligence not their savage nature. Hell... they actually developed human husbandry. Nah thx.

Syanna
Thorougly wasted potential. She could have been a much more sophisticated and intelligent Renfri. She could have actually been the exception to the curse of the black sun. Having been put through a lot of shit but not giving into it and simply fighting for her birth right and to show that world that what they did to her was wrong. Instead she took petty vengence and hoped somehow to topply Anna Henrietta through it, used a higher vampire who was bound to find out sooner or later and would have killed her. What the hell was she thinking? Utterly stupid. She should have done it more cleverly. You might have even involved the Scoia'tel (Renfri and the 7 dwarfs) in a deal with Syanna trying to recover some of their lost lands, you could have still had Dettlaf in a deal with Syanna, a place for vampires to live protected. Why not bring the thread of war to Toussaint? You wouldn't even need to actually have battles or show the armies. Have Syanna's arrival as a damocles sword hovering over Beauclair and then you can decide what to do. If you are successfull she arrives either with Anna Henrietta being thoroughly powerful and her Scoia'tel and brigand army marching through the street or have her support melt away and the knight of Toussaint and Anna Henrietta in plate armor await her arrival which turns out to be just her asking for the banishment to be lifted and throwing herself at the mercy of Anna Henrietta.

Orianna
Not sure what all the excitement was about. Thoroughly underwhelming character and why she was even put in there to begin with I will never understand. Could have been replaced by anyone else.

The Knights of Toussaint
Now there are characters I thoroughly enjoyed. All of them. Basically like in the books. I absolutely loved it.

On the strength of the look, the sidequests, the whole connection of it all, the whole feel... I'd probably give a 6 or 7/10. Honestly, this could have been an outstanding piece of work. Outstanding. A great main plot, Geralt in a situation in which he really has a hand in deciding the future of a whole country and in the end a great finish with a massive feast and the Witcher actually settling down in Toussaint. I would have loved it. But to me this misses on too many of the essentials if you decide to go with a proper main quest.

Interesting review! I don't think the main story was that bad, sure couple of missed opportunities here and there but I really enjoyed it.
And yes, I can totally see Scoia'tael working with Syanna!!! That would make more sense than some common bandits : )

Orianna however, had much more unfulfilled potential.

Also, I just finished the DLC completely, not one question mark left on the map and all the quests are done too.

Entering Touissat at lvl 36 playing on the highest difficulty not skipping any dialogues and reading most notes I found, I spent total of 31 hours with the expansion which is very decent : )

Finished with lvl 51 by the way : )

Damn I WANT MOREEEE!!!!!!

I don't think the main story was that bad, sure couple of missed opportunities here and there but I really enjoyed it.
Same here.
It could have been a bit more mysterious, more deadly to people and a few more deaths would have been better too in my opinion...
4 Deaths from the beast that tyrannised a whole city is not really much...its a bit overhyped.

But all in all, i liked it.

I wish we got the chance to get to know all the victims too. We only met one of the 4 victims.

Anyways, does anybody know who was the Cintrian and why did he kill the singer?

Nope. Probably because it was the only way to get into Orianna's room or maybe to silence lose ends? I don't know. That's one of the many reasons why I was absolutely disenchanted with the main quest.

Positives
Gorgeous world
Beautiful Music
Great side quests

Negatives
Short main story line
Main story pacing is unbalanced
Missed opportunities to know main B&W characters better.

I usually play the Witcher game this way and here is my impression.

- I take a break from Main story, complete a few side missions, contracts and points of interest then go back to main story. I could not play B&W like that as the main story was short IMO. Within few main quests I was at a point beyond return and a few side quests would be unavailable.
- There certainly were many missed opportunities, the main story ride was great but ended too quickly. We could have had more branching missions with Anna and her associates.
- The timing of romance option (when vampires were attacking Toussaint) was weird. Honestly I could have enjoyed the fairy tale quest more if there wasn't much drama going on in real world.
- Now I have many POIs and quests that I have less interest after the quick main story line.

I would have liked
- Anna task us to rescue Syanna from fairy tale world.
- A few more quests involving Damien and duchess subjects.
- Follow Anna/ Damien to investigate the plot further.
- Longer knight tourney
- Lady of the Lake : All my expectation took a beating after what we experience with her mission in Witcher 1
- Prevent vampires from attacking Tousaint (ignore if already possible)

Request for Future features in a Patch
- Add more lights in Corvo Bianco it bloody drak to even view the trophies/ armor/ paintings (the lighting is in no way ambient if that was the intention)
- There is so much space in the house of Corvo Bianco, we should be given option add more armor stands and weapon stands.
- Add more lights in the bedroom of brothel, its effing dark in there.

Top Bottom