Sword Requirement Levels, Equipment Level Scaling

+
I think we need more info on how this system actually works.
If weapon level get's down-scaled right after you pick it up that sucks.
If weapon got down-scaled only if you equipped it ( you can keep it in inventory without penalty) that at least give you freedom of choice: you save it for higher level or use it.

It sucks anyway.

Why should I explore and fight a stronger enemy when I'm low level?

I'm willing to bet that that is exactly how it will work. Theres no reason to tell the player the item has been scaled or even include any type of level info in the tooltip. The player will never know that an item has been downscaled, youll just find a "super awesome" item and happily equip it -- that would make perfect sense to their stated goal.

As someone else pointed out, If Damien hadn't mentioned the scaling I doubt many would have ever noticed it. They would have just assumed that they lifted the level restrictions on most equipment.

Not telling it is not a solution. There are strategy guides that'll have all weapon details, there'll be other people on the forums that'll mention this sword is better for this monster and has these stats, etc. So, if your weapons don't match those, you'll just feel like you have nerfed weapons.

It sucks anyway.

Why should I explore and fight a stronger enemy when I'm low level?

For the challenge?
For the mutagens, which are the nr1. motivation anyway according to the gamestar journalist?
For other loot like crafting or alchemy ingredients?

There is no point in going looking for strong weapons in this game. Whatever you find, will just be nerfed to your level. Takes away the excitement of finding something rare and then slaughtering enemies with it!

The clasic level requirment sounded pretty good. Clasic RPG restriction. I guess threads like this propably resulted in this change. Personally i do not like it, but we have to wait and see.

Enemies don't scale in this world. This is great, and you feel like the world is persistent, and doesn't depend on your levels. But then the devs make the items scale, and it completely ruins it.

Just remove all item scaling. Leave the thrill of finding strong weapons, and then using them instantly regardless of how strong it is. For people that like constant upgrading, they won't really bother going looking for strong weapons anyway, so it's a win-win for both.

There is no point in going looking for strong weapons in this game. Whatever you find, will just be nerfed to your level. Takes away the excitement of finding something rare and then slaughtering enemies with it!
it also takes away some of the enjoyment in doing additional playthroughs, planning ahead an ideal progression path, which for me is one of the major elements of replay value in most RPGs.

I remember getting one of the legendary swords in Gothic 2, I was on low level but some how I managed to escape horde of skeletons and steal this sword from catacombs, of course I couldn't equip it right away as my strength was to low, so had to look for some potions, herbs, rings to level up strength and than finally I could equip it, that was fun, gave me sens of satisfaction of achieving something cool in the game.
Anyway hope CDPR will change it.

Enemies don't scale in this world. This is great, and you feel like the world is persistent, and doesn't depend on your levels. But then the devs make the items scale, and it completely ruins it.

Just remove all item scaling. Leave the thrill of finding strong weapons, and then using them instantly regardless of how strong it is. For people that like constant upgrading, they won't really bother going looking for strong weapons anyway, so it's a win-win for both.
That would be horrible and I'm glad Cd PRoject Red didn't do it One of the biggest flaws with the previous games was their awful balance (way too easy) and with this change the balance of this game would even be worse. Once somehow defeating a high level monster I would be OP for the next hours or even the rest of the game. No thanks.

Just remove all item scaling. Leave the thrill of finding strong weapons
Yeah, for several reasons, too.

For one, if a player goes out of his way to get a powerful item early on, he shouldn't be punished for it.
Second, if developers are really that concerned about high level items being "too powerful", one could argue that the mistake was designing a "rulest" that puts that much emphasis on itemization power in first place.
Third, as a broad general principle, good design in a non linear game should involve making the most powerful stuff harder to reach, not impossible to pick up/use. Let alone SCALED DOWN if somehow you managed to get it anyway.

Or, it can be balanced in this way.
You find a stronger sword.
You can use it, but only with two hands, slowly and without the possibility to cast any signs.

It' would be the perfect compromise between rewards and balancement.

Not telling it is not a solution. There are strategy guides that'll have all weapon details, there'll be other people on the forums that'll mention this sword is better for this monster and has these stats, etc. So, if your weapons don't match those, you'll just feel like you have nerfed weapons.

I didnt saying it was a solution, I said most people would likely not know. Especially if the game's structure is such that the very best items still have a fixed nature, since those are the items people will actively seek out.

But at what cost? Many here have already pointed out the issues with permanently nerfing items. A temporary penalty system others have suggested would have been a far better choice.

That would be horrible and I'm glad Cd PRoject Red didn't do it One of the biggest flaws with the previous games was their awful balance (way too easy) and with this change the balance of this game would even be worse. Once somehow defeating a high level monster I would be OP for the next hours or even the rest of the game. No thanks.

But if you don't want an OP weapon ruining your experience, why would you even challenge a tough monster above your levels? And even if you do it for some odd reason, you can easily just ignore that weapon and continue to enjoy the game with the usual weapons.

I accept that some people don't want to be restricted in any way, but don't you think if a person could obtain a well guarded 'legendary' item very early in the game that he/she could use immediately, then the game would become a cakewalk for him / her for the rest 50+ hours? Of course, we don't know how much the difficulty is dependent on player skill or item stats, but still, it makes me wonder.

Just remove all item scaling.

You can say this as many times as you want, but honestly it's redundant at this stage. At best you could hope for them to make the adjustment in a patch, but I find that unlikely.

I'm all for discussion, but the discussion has been utterly stagnant for pages now. I don't like Alchemy, but I've come to the conclusion the changes are here to stay, and now I'm just waiting to see how it plays out in the game. I would suggest you do the same here with this system.

There is no point in going looking for strong weapons in this game.
There was never "going looking for strong weapons" ever. You are describing a very artificial scenario where the search for loot is somehow disconnected from any other aspect of exploration. As if it were some conscious, deliberate decision from the player. Loot has always been an unexpected gift of exploration, like any other unexpected part of exploration. I doubt anyone will open the map of Skellige and try to analyze for four minutes where is he likely to find a good sword in contrast to where is he likely to find a random event, or a quest giver, or a new character, or a cool view. That's not how it works. There isn't a "now I'm entering cave X for its architecture" mode and a "now I'm entering cave Y for its loot" mode. Exploration has many, many benefits, and you cannot tear them apart and say now you're searching for this, now you're searching for that. There is no way to know. There has never been any way to know.

This issue is being so inflated and zoomed in that a description of exploration and player motivation have been completely distorted. If someone replies that they actually do that - that they open a gigantic map and try to carefully understand where are they likely to find loot - I won't have anything to respond. It's your word against mine, but I just seriously doubt it.

Whatever you find, will just be nerfed to your level. Takes away the excitement of finding something rare and then slaughtering enemies with it!
Round and around we go.

Downscaling scenario takes away your excitement over finding new equipment.
Upscaling scenario takes away my excitement over finding new equipment.
Good luck proving what here is some objectively "bad design".

Funny, that. It's almost as if people... prefer different things.

Round and around and around...

Top Bottom