Thank you RED, Incredible loot reward system.....

+
Am I one of the only people who find loot being scaled to you in shops a complete mmo fantasy? I get it's a game, but seriously? Even in shops? Oops, seems all our stock is too low for you. Poof! Here you go, auto catch up mechanism. Wouldn't want you to go look for good gear from quests, cause it's all very "meh." That's CDPR's design issue with loot. But scaling things doesn't fix it! It makes quest rewards more useless as soon as you level up!

I'm all for at level+ for quest chain rewards. Or things like extra sockets or special procs on gear for witcher gear to make it compete with that relic that just made you one shot things with aard or igni. Those things feel like rewards for completion of something you put more time into. Or like Crach's, that thing should be amazing, and make it higher level.

But the idea that people want immersion, but also want things to be scaled to them... Well... It's not completely contradictory, but do you really think that shit blacksmith that can't even craft your second witcher upgrade magically now makes relics that are better?

I get it if people want these things. I understand it. I don't like it personally. I'd rather they just make unique items better.

The entire idea of levels is nothing but a game mechanic and fantasy. Levels themselves both in gear and enemies should be what's ruing immersion not them scaling. Scaling should actually help immersion because things being different levels is unrealistic but if things scale they more or less remain relative to each other instead of making odd random leaps or falls in power.
In the terms of the game's mechanics levels are a none issue with the merchants because the Blacksmiths proficiency level is tied to the grade/tier of equipment he can make not the level of the items. A journyman blacksmith can't craft masterwork items of any level but he can craft common tier items of any level. Scaling the level of items he sells in no way changes that or is inconsistent with how it's already set up. It just changes it so that he now sells items which may actually be useful instead of crap which well isn't. Immersion breaking is finding a master armor-smith who is selling tons of masterwork gear that is all completely useless (because it's 10 levels to low)

Last edited:
My Avatar is level 22, just turned. upon performing a long quest chain I receive my reward prize with cinematic accompaniment, The sun shown brightly through the clouds as they parted and the object of my toil and hard work was reverently handed to me......

.........and then I promptly sold it back to him because the damn thing was level 20, on a level 24 quest, 2 enchant stones lower and only had 2 very low stats. Way to go RED! You guys rock!

Situations like this are like getting socks for christmas.
It's why I like Geralts deadpan delivery.

"Oh, yeah thanks...
That's, uh, great...
I'm sure to use it."

All said while walking away trying to prize the diamond off the hilt so you can make something useful.

The entire idea of levels is nothing but a game mechanic and fantasy. Levels themselves both in gear and enemies should be what's ruing immersion not them scaling. Scaling should actually help immersion because things being different levels is unrealistic but if things scale they more or less remain relative to each other instead of making odd random leaps or falls in power.

I think you make a very good argument and I agree with a lot of that. But I also think that, as this is a leveling type of game, and there are levels, it's very hard to argue that a level 10 sword is a better sword than a level 40 sword based on it's "quality" name... ie relic, magic, etc. The fact is, these items are much more powerful items than the lower level. And while I agree with the fact that levels of items is kind of silly and I wish we had a more Witcher 1 style loot system or had gear that focused on changing abilities and procs, we don't. So for me, regardless of if that guy is making relics, magic, mastercrafted, it doesn't mean shite because the amount of stats and damage are tied to levels. That blacksmith that can't make mastercrafted, which is in a game that has levels, is making a better item in every quantifiable way except the label.

Good points though, wish I could really go in depth, because I think I agree with you much more than it might seem without getting into walls of text about the pros cons of a level based system. Cheers!

The RPG elements are contradicting each other, the weight system doesn't support the abundance of loots, the loots are abundance that we don't need to use alchemy much for basic necessities like alcohest which is a core item for restocking alchemy stuffs, the excessive loots provide us a lot of money and the lots of money have nothing to spend on because of the excessive loots which already covered a lot of things we need, the haggling feature for more payment also doesn't serve any purpose because we have a lot of money from loots.

Legendary witcher gears from diagrams get old fast because we level up fast, it can be upgraded but we have to wait until reaching certain levels, again the weight limit isn't being very supportive to keep several sets of armors and keep the old sets waiting to be upgraded, meanwhile many variety of relic gears keep appearing as we progress even after we picked one we like best or better suits our level, the excess gears become wares for the nearest merchants which translates to more money we don't need.

Once Geralt outleveled the enemies, treasure hunts / exploration quests also become useless, the rewards are more loots while we already have tons of money we don't need, no more enemies can pose as a threat.

Perhaps I'm in an idiot minority here, but I absolutely love the fact that I don't need to dumpster dive for equipment and crafting materials all the time. I love the fact that I can just go find schematics for the school sets and use those for the entire game and not have to worry about checking every single chest.

Now if only they made every potion/oil/bomb recipe available at a vendor so that I didn't have to worry about checking every single chest for those...

Now if only they made every potion/oil/bomb recipe available at a vendor so that I didn't have to worry about checking every single chest for those...

You don't need those stuffs if you play on Just Story or second difficulty. Those recipes are preparations that's supposed to be needed for Death March. Lower difficulty than that then no worries.

I find item scaling stupid in a game without leve scaling. For the narrative purpose and for people who want to focuse on the story, the main quests should reward you with sufficient items to complete it. Other than that i want loot to be preditermined. Even if it's random to not really scale. And if they are to scale, they should not scale beyond level 25. Up from there, there should be a final tier of say 10-20 items that range between levels 25-35, and are CRAFTABLE and preditermined, NOT random, and should be locked behind challenging and long treasure hunt quests. This way you feel you have unique legendary gear rather than randoms, and you spend quite some time and energy to aquire them, craft the and upgrade them, rather than finding them in a random chest guarded by 5 drowners, or bought from a rando merchant, just because you happen to be level 35.

With this done, we need an actual level cap at around level 35(cause that's the highest quest level), and we need more high level monsters in certain zones(levels 35-40). As of now, to my knowledge the highest level monster is that lv 35 Archgriffin near Oxenfurt.

Ah,
Of Swords and Dumplings
quest? I was so disappointed as well. At least he can craft some of the best swords afterwards.

There's at least one level 48 monster out there. He's on the Skellige map.

I found the loot a minor annoyance. I rarely felt under geared for my level, but I also went witcher gear hunting, though my inventory is close to full all the time.

The only thing that really bothered me was Crach pulling his heirloom super-sword off of the mantel and giving it to me. I felt bad about selling it to some shmuck in Novigrad - but I decided that if Crach got mad I should just tell him to send his complaints to Poland ATTN: CDPR devs.

First of all I got to say, I never felt that my gear was a problem. I never encountered a mob or a situation I could not manage with the gear I got myself along the line of my questing.

Buuuut, and thats a big BUT... I totally feel what you guys say.
90% of the time your rewards feel more like a "little bitch-slap" to face rather than a reward. Thanks for "saving all that's dear to me - here have a sword you could have made good use of 5 levels ago - have fun".

Gets a bit disappointing after the 20th sword you brought straight to the vendor : (, but still no gamebreaker for me. Story is/was awesome, and I enjoy the love for detail even in every little contract or sidequest so much that it really can't spoil the fun for me.

I have to agree what was mentioned previously. Swors obtained from Hattori and Crach were huge disaspoinment. Also silver sword you can get on Kaer Morhen is really meh, especially in comparison to mastercrafted witcher swords. But i quite favor changes to merchants and loot system after 1,05, my character is now lvl 33 and i found some sweet loot recently. Hope its not only because i am getting near end of the game But one thing blew my mind - during quest on Skellige I found schematics for Tir Tochair which require level 44... ?!!

Defeated a monster 10 levels above my current level. Received a Relic sword 2 levels bellow my current Witcher set gear.

I did a level 33 mission and killed the level 33 spider boss and got a level 25 sword WTF... I am level 27 but still, it should have been higher than me. :wat:

Something wrong with loot system in my opinion. I have dozen "unique" swords in my pack 3 of them sharing same name, witcher swords that supposed to be best of the best and very expensive becoming obsolete very fast. It contradicts the narrative of the game for instance in Hattori quest and when Lambert wanted to take Vesimir swords to himself.
i liked loot distribution in first Witcher much more. You had to collect all meteor ore pieces and result was depending on ore properties. Unique swords where unique

I think they have to reduce chance for random drop relics, make quest reward relics better in terms of stats (so that they are best at the intended level and on par with higher level items). Right now up to level ~31-35 witcher sets are far better than anything and after that random drops are just crushing everything else in terms of stats. Also I think they should reduce stats on sets a bit and instead add some set bonuses for wearing several items.

Loot system and itemization are terrible in this game. It's just as bad as vanilla Diablo 3 was.

Giant piles of vendor trash, constant need to loot millions of crates, chests, sacks, cupboards, closets and bundles so you don't miss anything, high level monsters guarding low level loot, difficult, protracted quests giving crap loot (do the CDPR guys know what "rewarding" means?)....plus everything you find in the world is deeply inferior to the witcher gear. AND all the items are boring, with boring statistics and abilities.

TW3 is the best looking, written and voice acted game ever created...with one of the worst itemizations. What a bloody shame.

The witcher specific great is just so good compared to everything else I never found myself leaving griffin bear or cat gear. Everything I found was under my current level so so I would wear stuff that was at my current level.

Yea, sadly, as much as I enjoy this game I have to agree that the loot system is pretty awful. I haven't much paid attention to it because I craft everything, but killing a level 25 boss and getting level 16 gear is just awful and makes no sense. I hope they do something about this.

I 've found at least 25 swords that are better than my witcher swords. I really do not understand your problem guys. Are you actually complaining, that a random DROP from a random monster does not give you better items, than a LONG questline under the tag of TREASURE HUNT QUESTS, that required you to visit like 10 different places in order to craft and upgrade, is not better??? Seriously the worst thing that ever happened to me in this game, bar none, was when a random vendor sold me a much better sword than my ursine that it took HOURS to aquire.

Top Bottom