The E3 gameplay demo. What do you think needs to be worked on? What did you like?

+
Really man? A griffin have just killed pray nearby and you expect wildlife popping up like wild flowers?. You can walk for hours in a forest without ever seeing a bird. If there was any widllife in the area it would most likely have moved on out of fear of beeing attacked anyway. It makes me wonder if you have actually been in a real forest.

Making Critizism is one thing but alot of these rants are just silly.
HaHa.. No Shit, some people just don't get it man;)

What i don't liked in this trailer was the handholding. Witcher sense is way, and i mean way too obvious, so if i where 90 years old and had a sight impairment, i would see the trails w- no problem. And the red circles, showing where the griffin was, wallhack-style --- just no! I hope they tone it way down, so there is still a challenge when searching, or that maybe it's not mandatory using it.

Other than that, the trailer was great. Fighting animations don't concern me too much, i don't play for the fighting. And for the people wanting wildlife crawling around - it's a reasonable wish for immersion sake - but not in this context. Every animal in a circle of 100 meters would be long gone after sensing the griffin. Even in real life you seldom see wildlife in the woods. You guys should get out more, LOL. :listen:

EDIT: I hope they implement a proper inventory system for the PC version. This console abomination is the same nightmare as in TW2. The inventory in TW1 was perfect, ergonomically and aesthetically, mouse drag and drop, easy and transparent. Those where the times...

Last edited:
The demo was too short to make any kind of big analysis, besides graphics. Animations, dialogues and what not can't be shown well in five minutes, with Microsoft yelling behind you to hurry up. Did you see how quickly entered another presentation after CDPROJEKT?

Regarding the witcher sense, I think it was done like that in order to make it easier for people to understand. Not every E3 attendee visits this forum every day after all.

Last edited:
Can Gerald jump only on specify spots, or he can jump like a bunny everywhere ??? please tell me he's free to move ala Gothic style !

cheers

S.

What i don't liked in this trailer was the handholding. Witcher sense is way, and i mean way too obvious

There isn't.

You don't wanna waste hours and fail a quest because you couldn't see an inconspicuous blood drop in the forest ground.Its a massive game.You need to highlight evidence.

I liked a lot but I'm gonna mention the things I didn't like and hopefully it will serve as some kind of feedback
-dodging is too jittery
-projectiles leave white traces in the air behind them (looks unimmersive and distracting)
-game telling you what potions to use( seriously what kind of sense does this make. you need to read about the beast and decide what to make not have the game tell you. Hope you can disable it)
-I also didn't like giant blotches of red over the screen, maybe there's more subtle way to do witcher sense?
@lorddantelink
you can see it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNBDtFLFi_c [Embed]

The bright blood is perfect because it stands out in this mode. Believe me in this demo Geralt is only a level 7 and as some monsters get harder to track we will want to be able to see this bright red fresh blood from a distance. Trust us you'll be thankful later ;)

Last edited:
Can Gerald jump only on specify spots, or he can jump like a bunny everywhere ??? please tell me he's free to move ala Gothic style !

cheers

S.

There seems to be both. In the E3 gameplay Geralt jumps twice (and rolls after), the animation looks pretty good.

A bit later there is a little ledge he needs to jump to, so that's a specific jump spot but it's not like in Witcher 2 where there are only those :)

Animation quality also remove that fucking shaky camera asap. Also annoying effect when Geralt hits someone or he get's hit.

Are you talking about this animation?

That looks like the Quen sign reflecting damage back to the enemy .

Last edited:

cheers

S.
I hope Geralt can jump just for the sake of jumping too. In this demo it would look kindy silly, so my guess is yes we can jump @ will anytime & anywhere.
But does that animation look as cool in one spot I do not know yet so will just have to see.

One thing I realized: Floating weapons on people's backs/sides.

Can we please get rid of that? I saw some characters with weapon sheaths in the trailer but some didn't have em, if you can't make weapon sheaths just don't have them floating on their backs, goes with the crossbow Geralt carries.

Haha , yeah that is a fair point . Its especially noticeable on the bare chest guy with the two handed weapon.

Last edited:

cheers

S.
Yes he can ala GTA style.

IMO the combat is great considering the meta, we don't need over the top animations or jerking off here and there. Witchers are mutants with heightened skills, this is not DMC.

PROS

-biggest thing about combat over TW2 was all the nifty leaps and dodges Geralt performed at multiple angles. So much better than the constant rolling.

-The UI seems good, nice to have a grid back. The animated Geralt is a nice effect.

-I cheered when Geralt blocked, kicked and slashed all in fluid succession. I was hoping I'd see him mix punches or kicks in like TW1.

-I liked the finisher. Choppy choppy!

-VO's and facial animations are excellent.

-LOVED Aard. Beautiful sounds and visual effects.

-The environments look amazing.

CONS

-the arrow trails also seem place holder to me. I'd like it to be more like TW2 sword trails, more translucent

-the blood effects could be toned down a bit.

-the hit detection could use some work.

-I'd like to see more variety in the slashing animations.

-not a fan of his dark eyebrows. I know that's nitpicky...

-really, the only rough spots I see are the lack of transition/small animations when Geralt dodges whatnot and the uphill running animation needs to change when he's on a steep slope.

Last edited:
To elaborate.
I really hope they improve the combat mechanics. As I said in the E3 thread the keyword for me is crowd control. The devs said that we would see and feel that Geralt I a true swordmaster but I don't see it if im honest. The combat changed only to the point that Geralt is not rolling he just steps aside now. That's really not a big improvment.
I hoped we see more sword blocking animations which would show how a fine swordsman he is.
Also the transitions between the animations should be smoother.

I'm not sure if that was a problem with the game -- could be a matter of playing style. We didn't see any blocking whatsoever.

For a game that is supposed to be about story this demo was a bit of a fail. Who is the woman? What was happening to her? Why is she so nonchalant and unperturbed by all the killing? It's the sort of thing I'd expect out of Bioware, but not CDPR. Then again it might be because the trailer was so short and we didn't see the other parts of the story.

The combat animations were also quite bad. In TW2 the sword movements are believably fast. Here they're too quick at various points, such as when he slashes. They look almost as bad as Dragon Age II.

Also, what sort of platform were they using in that demo? It seemed disappointingly laggy.

Finally: Geralt's face. What's wrong with his eyes? He looked better in TW2.

Last edited:
Top Bottom