The (Un)Offical HORSE Stutter Thread - Not addressed in 1.05 PC

+
Third person is a imaginary viewer/camera following a character around. The POV is that. FP is looking at the world through the character's eyes.

No, third person in this game is simply a representation of a FP perspective. The fact that you look at your character from a third point of view doesn't mean you aren't that character, it just mean that for gameplay dynamics inherent to the game the developers decided that a third view point was better to control the character and the context of the game itself.

As an aside note when you remember an event you usually recollect what happened in a third person perspective and not in first person (also if you don't see yourself the POV is not usually in first person). The same happens very often in dreams if you can recollect what it happens there in details. It is very rare for the imagination to recompose a scenario from a first person perspective, you have to somewhat "force" it.

But that's circular reasoning. I am arguing they should not, not that they do not.
Both the horse effects and the mud, etc. should not be visible in Third Person. Because are things that are viewed from Geralt's perspective (on his face, via his eyes,etc.) but somehow applied on the imaginary camera following him.

It's not circular reasoning. It is just how the devs developed the game. You can also not agree with that or not like it, but that's how the game plays and hence it makes complete sense for an horse trotting to do a step/pause/step because that's what it feels like when you trot an horse.

One of the most important key components of a good gameplay is consistency. No matter the vision you decide to go with the most important thing is that you must stick to it, elsewhere nothing will make sense in the end.

Last edited:
Man...I leave for a couple of days and look what happens. Where should I start?

As for the genius that said "horses don't stop the world around them", you should win an oscar in logic, really.

If you have never mounted an horse, please don't reply, as you will waste your time and mine, firstly because I know I cannot change your mi explain it to you.

Well Amioran, I'm that genius. And I have ridden horses, not that you have to in order to understand this topic. I actually understand what you're trying to say; too bad you couldn't find a more respectful way of making your point. This thread was very peaceful and respectful until you arrived.

I also happen to know a little about bio-locomotion. Horses or any animal with legs do indeed have a natural interval when walking, jogging, trotting/cantering etc. This mostly applies to quadrupeds and bipeds. This doesn't really apply to insects (they're special). Either way this interval is almost imperceivable unless you have a special camera and other equipment to mark the intervals OR the animal is injured. Then you can see a hitch in the animals step.

While riding horses and watching others do so I notice that the laws of physics didn't fall apart. Everything in the world around me moves as it would normally. There certainly isn't a sudden stutter, even when bouncing in the saddle a little.

But none of this matters.

The only thing that matters is how it “looks”.
To me it looks bad. And it looks bad enough to be a bug, not purposeful. That’s my opinion and the opinion of thousands of other people. It’s all over the internet, different sites/forums, in different languages etc. If you disagree with our opinions, that's fine, I just hope you can do so without launching insults at people.

Oh….And I’m really flattered you think I should win an Oscar in logic, that's not how Oscars work but I'll take it. I never win anything.

Last edited:
Just read through the entire 1.07 changelog, not a single mention of fixing the horse walk stutter.

CDPR's total silence on one of the most discussed issues with the game continues...

---------- Updated at 08:53 PM ----------

@ Amioran; Whether it's realistic or not is totally irrelevant. Its a third-person RPG, not a first-person equestrian simulator.

Either the stutter is an unintentional bug, or an intentional feature that was implemented cheaply. In both cases, the end result is an animation that is a horrible jarring eyesore to pretty much everyone that notices it apart from you.

Just read through the entire 1.07 changelog, not a single mention of fixing the horse walk stutter.

CDPR's total silence on one of the most discussed issues with the game continues...

Marcin has posted about "smaller" changes not in the change log. Hopefully our little problem is among them. But the silence has been worrying. They don't post much on the thread but this issue has been talked about from the very beginning by a lot of people.

1.07 will tell us more. If' its not fixed they'll continue to ignore this thread and others like it.

I kind of wonder if anyone from RED is even reading these. I just want some kind of acknowledgement. They could call me stupid and say they're never fixing the problem and that would be better than silence.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure the horse issue was ironed out and was just included in one of the comments surrounding: "Improved overall performance."

It's been quite a thorn in a lot of people's sides, and the fix should be tragically simple -- even if they needed to redo the animation from the beginning again. I mean, it's one gait of a horse trotting, cycled in a loop. This is not a bug anyone should be worried about.

(I'll be very surprised if I eat my words.)

Marcin has posted about "smaller" changes not in the change log. Hopefully our little problem is among them. But the silence has been worrying. They don't post much on the thread but this issue has been talked about from the very beginning by a lot of people.

1.07 will tell us more. If' its not fixed they'll continue to ignore this thread and others like it.

I kind of wonder if anyone from RED is even reading these. I just want some kind of acknowledgement. They could call me stupid and say they're never fixing the problem and that would be better than silence.

Yeah I did notice that post and that plus the fact the original post about 1.07 included 'multiple changes to horse behaviour' gives me a little bit of hope.

Got the same problem as everyone else here. I put the game down for about a month and a half due this issue and with the new patch coming I've started playing it. From what the patch notes say I've got a bad feeling it isn't going to address this stutter. There is another similar instance of this broken animation loop/stutter that I'm noticing also, it happens during the transition (while on foot) from walk to run. There is a very noticeable hang/stutter every time. It isnt as bad if you walk slowly for a bit and then decide to run. I thought that this might be the camera auto-centering but even with that turned off the stutter still happens. Its almost as frustrating as the horse stuttering but at least I can control when and how it happens a bit. CDPR should have just used Cryengine. It would have looked a lot better and run way smoother and we wouldn't be here complaining about something the devs obviously don't know how to fix.

It's not solved at all.

As usually, patch over patch, this ABSOLUTELY ANNOYING issue isn't fixed. I don't give any chance on it. I give up...

really?! ... i'm still waiting for the pc patch 1.07. this f***ing stutter was the reason not to use roach. you must be kidding!

really?! ... i'm still waiting for the pc patch 1.07. this f***ing stutter was the reason not to use roach. you must be kidding!

No, man. I'm not kidding. I'm very serious, 8GB of patch which don't fix ANY PERFORMANCE ISSUE PLUS STILL REMAINS THE HORSE STUTTERING.

EDIT:
It looks like if you're in Novigrad at night without rain then fps become better than before 1.07 patch. The problem is still related to rain particles with fps drops.

Last edited:
nice move cdpr! first give us the real important things like new clothes for triss, ciri and yen, new weights for crafting comp. and spelling fixes.

---------- Updated at 01:51 PM ----------

how i imagine a conversation in a tavern in valen:
"hey dude, saw this witcher guy yesterday?"
"oh ya, you mean Lambert?"
"no, the other one with the complete retarded horse...?"

Man that sucks.The PC patch will be out soon but I'm sure it'll be more of the same.

It might be time to consider alternatives.

The funniest thing about it is that it looks like if CDPR doesn't realize about this issue. It's even like if it doesn't exists as issue or bug. An annoying broken animation that "officially" doesn't exist as such. :(

Booted 1.07 up on PC and it is still not fixed. I'm done. I can't enjoy this game if this bug exists it destroys immersion.

From my past experience with stuttering in games I've noticed that most developers refuse to even acknowledge the problem. Most likely due to the fact that they probably have no idea how to fix the problem. Which is a real shame with CDPR because with all they have been able to accomplish and with what is capable with REDengine3 that a seemingly simple bug such as this would continue to persist. Hell, I just want some kind of confirmation on the problem at this point. Even if they were to say they weren't going to fix it, at least I would know that was the situation and I could stop getting my hopes up every time a new patch goes up. I say just keep bugging the devs and staff until we can get some kind of statement on the problem. I really want to like this game, i really do but this stutter is killing it for me.

Okay I gave up.. I might as well never use the horse at all.. at least I can still enjoy the game that way.. I agree with the fact there is no confirmation and lack of communication from CDRproject.. this is my biggest dissapointment.. I love CDRproject.. but this is no way to treat your loyal customer.. I think they will at least try to accept or understand the problem when you tried to tell them the truth.. *sigh*

Top Bottom