The Witcher 3 - Visuals

+
Status
Not open for further replies.

It's Watch Dogs all over again

GG CDProjekt Red, you're now a Ubisoft-tier dev.

"very atmospheric" vs "no atmosphere" my god lol.....

"thick smoke" there's no smoke in that scene, maybe that would be a better comparison if it wasnt inventing things out of nothing.

I'm kind of doubtful about the particles thing, in many cases the fire has less flying particles now, but in the scene where the wild hunt kills the peasant there are more particles in 2015 that in VGX. I'd say it overall looks a bit worse on that aspect but its just weird.

Main light sources and bright lights are about taste, so it doesnt really have anything to do with a downgrade discussion.

I really think this is the worst part of this whole debacle if everything turns out as expected. CDPR's reputation will be heavily damaged, at least among the very dedicated PC crowd

Therein lies the rub. If there are 10 console-gamer wallets for every 1 pc-gamer wallet, what will make them care? (I don't know what the actual ratio is; it could be even more lopsided, particularly if you reduce 'pc gamer' to 'pc gamer with a high end rig').

In an ideal world they'd try and please all their customers, but the most successful companies are pragmatic rather than idealistic. Of course, CDProjekt earned(?) a reputation as upholding ideals first and foremost, and sabotaging that reputation isn't going to help them. Still, Bethesda proved you can make the leap with a mediocre PC port of Skyrim, and it's still one of the most successful games.

Let's also not forget that 'faceless companies' have actual human beings (with faces)--and it's down to the nature of the individuals as to how the company is ran. Some people are untroubled if their company loses its pristine reputation or fails to live up to an ideal, so long as they can retire to their personal yacht when they leave.

Therein lies the rub. If there are 10 console-gamer wallets for every 1 pc-gamer wallet, what will make them care? (I don't know what the actual ratio is; it could be even more lopsided, particularly if you reduce 'pc gamer' to 'pc gamer with a high end rig').

In an ideal world they'd try and please all their customers, but the most successful companies are pragmatic rather than idealistic. Of course, CDProjekt earned(?) a reputation as upholding ideals first and foremost, and sabotaging that reputation isn't going to help them. Still, Bethesda proved you can make the leap with a mediocre PC port of Skyrim, and it's still one of the most successful games.

Let's also not forget that 'faceless companies' have actual human beings (with faces)--and it's down to the nature of the individuals as to how the company is ran. Some people are untroubled if their company loses its pristine reputation or fails to live up to an ideal, so long as they can retire to their personal yacht when they leave.

125 Million active steam users. Consoles don't even come close.

This whole console sales are more than pc sales is untrue because in any recent figures for this stuff they never disclaim what their digital sales are which basically ARE the pc sales. It's hyberbowlic nonsense.

I think a better representation of your point is that they will make more money selling to as many platforms as possible rather than just PC, thus, parity takes place.

Last edited:
125 Million active steam users. Consoles don't even come close.

I suppose what it comes down to is that favouring the PC market and favouring the high end PC market aren't the same thing. You can let one down without letting down the other.

The behaviour of companies speaks for itself. They aren't choosing consoles as their leading platform(s) when making high-production cost games just for shits and giggles, but because it's where the money is.

@CostinRaz, no. I'm asking because for the matter of this discussion of yours, I ask because I want to know why you are so upset. Because I don't understand as I think the game look great. Also the game was completed last month, everything shown before that was was work in progress, game under development. I think you overreact tremendously.

Technical difficulties can arise with full use of special effects and features and many other things that make the game work, as I said. The game was just completed last month. It is not unusual that things are being adjusted to make the game work at all times.

Last edited:
@May17th

I can and will continue calling out CDPR for engaging in shoddy PR because it is something worth mentioning, but I've been engaged in this debate on this forum since E3 last year. I don't expect any differences now because as you said the game is done.

@CostinRaz, no. I'm asking because for the matter of this discussion of yours, I ask because I want to know why you are so upset. Because I don't understand as I think the game look great. Also the game was completed last month, everything shown before that was was work in progress, game under development.

If you don't understand then put a sock in it already because his answer isn't going to help you at all.

This is the same guy last night who was trying to provoke myself as well.

I dont want to copy paste myself but I posted when twitch leak broken up so i give it a try.

Disclaimer first I do own Asus z97, I7-4790, G1 GTX 980, SSD and 16 GB ram.
I must say that fellow PC gamers disappoint me. How can they can be such unaware costumers.

Console and the most of PC players will not see any downgrade. Their hardware cannot run it without it.
Any card beyond 970 is hit by law of diminishing returns. If you buy hardware that make you 1% of costumers of the company do not expect to be put first, sorry.
GTX 980 is card for going above 60 fps for 1080p or 1440 max. Buying better hardware is only for higher resolutions, more fps and some extras like hair physics.
When stronger hardware will be more common in the future most people will opt for better graphics for 1080p and 30-60 fps. High end hardware DO not mean that there will be so much better graphics for you. It will still be just the same in higher res and frames plus some new features.
If you think that ANY company will sacrifice performance of the game for majority of their costumers for few of us with best systems then you are delusional. It is not economically possible in the long run and such IT will not happen. Yes if CDPR concentrated on best PCs it would looked better. Except it would not, they would not be able to invest that much resources in the first place. Maybe for few PC gamers it would looked better on their rigs but game would be also smaller.

Actually Witcher 2 secured CDPR position but, it would be much better game if port to consoles of the first title was success rather than waste of money. We would have Dol Blathana for example. Without majority of the gamers both PC and X1/PS4 such games like Wild hunt cannot be done, without CDPR sinking. I rather have a downgrade and later Cyberpunk than Best Ever Witcher and then nothing. Sticking to GOG and saying screw it is not profitable/profitable enough comparing to investment.

If anything is true it is that we may have better looking games thanks to gamer with weaker PCs and console gamers. We will not be the main focus of resources company use to make a game, but there will be more resources to divide.
There is no economical incentive for doing more demanding graphics than for 970,780ti, r290 and 980.

Ultra is there because:
1 Graphics are done best they could be, then "downgraded" until everything works fine in the dev process. Unless i is like no to little progress game like COD. If there is no "downgrade" visible it is because you do not saw all that used to be there before optimization. We get hi specs because the made them anyway but do not hope to get them at cost of most gamers buying the game or any company to make separate build for such niche market.
2 Future scaling of the game for majority for most of PC gamers of the game
3 Prestige
4 And yes PR and Marketing. Without what someone call "false advertising" we probably have WORST graphics. Not that you have to buy day one if you have any doubt.

Claim that there were better graphics without knowing how well it work is fart in the wind. And if it worked well did our graphic broke the build for majority of the gamers, CDPR costumers. If you thing that few of us is more important than the most of them paying the most of the money you are simply entitled.
Console parity is nonsensical argument. They have better build but they simply wont give it to us. Yeah right.

Last but not the least I do not care as the core and whole package is there. Story, charterers, world, immersion, C&C, music, atmosphere and...
...and still good graphics. If their were downgraded for console players so be it, they pay their share that helps UPGRADE all those elements (money did seam upgrade VO quite efficiently)

There is not such nonsense like : "They should x,y,z", "X would be the right things" and all that hi ground moral blah,blah blah.

World works like it do, process and interacting factors are like they are. Because they have to. If you go against economic reality you will not be more successful in the long run than protesting gravity

PS: For certain person(will not mention) that said that if they do not concentrate on PC( I would say hi end PC owners) they should not do it on PC. If you could make that decision would you. Thx You made me unable to play the game that I want the most for decade, and lore that I loved since reading a books as a kid. THX really. Stick your "should's" in your arse

I know it's an old PR statement but still: "A Crowning achievement in the RPG genre", the way I understood and most likely most people, it's open world with a rich storyline, decisions and consequences and immersive and revolutionary graphics - combined in the open world making it jaw-dropping and a one of a kind experience.
People not only are disappointed that they won't get the version when it looked nice to play with, they are disappointed because Witcher 3 could be remembered in history as one of those top amazing games that was just perfect in every aspect and just have no equal, nothing like it nowadays.
Instead we 99% will get all the elements top notch except graphics and down the road, yes it will be remembered as one of the best RPGs ever but people will remember this leaving a sour taste with the title The Witcher 3, instead of completely revolutionary and outstanding with huge immersion aspect like never before, just an incredible RPG with a vast world although not really looking that amazing and it ruins the immersion aspect to quite many people I have heard so far discussing this issue, so basically not as legendary as it could have been.

Last edited:
I dont want to copy paste myself but I posted when twitch leak broken up so i give it a try.

Disclaimer first I do own Asus z97, I7-4790, G1 GTX 980, SSD and 16 GB ram.
I must say that fellow PC gamers disappoint me. How can they can be such unaware costumers.

Console and the most of PC players will not see any downgrade. Their hardware cannot run it without it.
Any card beyond 970 is hit by law of diminishing returns. If you buy hardware that make you 1% of costumers of the company do not expect to be put first, sorry.
GTX 980 is card for going above 60 fps for 1080p or 1440 max. Buying better hardware is only for higher resolutions, more fps and some extras like hair physics.
When stronger hardware will be more common in the future most people will opt for better graphics for 1080p and 30-60 fps. High end hardware DO not mean that there will be so much better graphics for you. It will still be just the same in higher res and frames plus some new features.
If you think that ANY company will sacrifice performance of the game for majority of their costumers for few of us with best systems then you are delusional. It is not economically possible in the long run and such IT will not happen. Yes if CDPR concentrated on best PCs it would looked better. Except it would not, they would not be able to invest that much resources in the first place. Maybe for few PC gamers it would looked better on their rigs but game would be also smaller.

Actually Witcher 2 secured CDPR position but, it would be much better game if port to consoles of the first title was success rather than waste of money. We would have Dol Blathana for example. Without majority of the gamers both PC and X1/PS4 such games like Wild hunt cannot be done, without CDPR sinking. I rather have a downgrade and later Cyberpunk than Best Ever Witcher and then nothing. Sticking to GOG and saying screw it is not profitable/profitable enough comparing to investment.

If anything is true it is that we may have better looking games thanks to gamer with weaker PCs and console gamers. We will not be the main focus of resources company use to make a game, but there will be more resources to divide.
There is no economical incentive for doing more demanding graphics than for 970,780ti, r290 and 980.

Ultra is there because:
1 Graphics are done best they could be, then "downgraded" until everything works fine in the dev process. Unless i is like no to little progress game like COD. If there is no "downgrade" visible it is because you do not saw all that used to be there before optimization. We get hi specs because the made them anyway but do not hope to get them at cost of most gamers buying the game or any company to make separate build for such niche market.
2 Future scaling of the game for majority for most of PC gamers of the game
3 Prestige
4 And yes PR and Marketing. Without what someone call "false advertising" we probably have WORST graphics. Not that you have to buy day one if you have any doubt.

Claim that there were better graphics without knowing how well it work is fart in the wind. And if it worked well did our graphic broke the build for majority of the gamers, CDPR costumers. If you thing that few of us is more important than the most of them paying the most of the money you are simply entitled.
Console parity is nonsensical argument. They have better build but they simply wont give it to us. Yeah right.

Last but not the least I do not care as the core and whole package is there. Story, charterers, world, immersion, C&C, music, atmosphere and...
...and still good graphics. If their were downgraded for console players so be it, they pay their share that helps UPGRADE all those elements (money did seam upgrade VO quite efficiently)

There is not such nonsense like : "They should x,y,z", "X would be the right things" and all that hi ground moral blah,blah blah.

World works like it do, process and interacting factors are like they are. Because they have to. If you go against economic reality you will not be more successful in the long run than protesting gravity

PS: For certain person(will not mention) that said that if they do not concentrate on PC( I would say hi end PC owners) they should not do it on PC. If you could make that decision would you. Thx You made me unable to play the game that I want the most for decade, and lore that I loved since reading a books as a kid. THX really. Stick your "should's" in your arse

Isn't this the exact same thing somebody wrote a few pages back? Either that or you are repeating yourself.

@shtempik

Expecting that is a bit ridiculous, PR may say anything it wants but no one know how the game turns out on that stage of the development including the devs.

---------- Zaktualizowano 21:52 ----------

@Netero
It is in the first sentence.

There was foward lit soft particles and volumetric smoke in that VGX scene. which seems to be completely absent from the final release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SpPqXdzl7g

yeah that's the big hit it took visually aside from anything else, was the volumetric smoke / soft particle light imho.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/--2L9zDs_LXk/UrsRnL8m1sI/AAAAAAAAAP8/P6IxR4omwSg/s1600/The-Witcher-3.jpg

Smoke like this doesn't exist anymore. Not even from chimneys I don't think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SpPqXdzl7g At 39 you can see the difference soft particles make on the smoke because they even show you what it looks like without it IN the video lol.

Last edited:
There was foward lit soft particles and volumetric smoke in that VGX scene. which seems to be completely absent from the final release.

And this is why I'm so upset with the possible downgrades.. This was made 2 years ago. By now this should have been polished and finished. No excuse for the downgrade. If hardware is an issue for some that's why there is a settings option in the game for players to downgrade there own graphics like normal pc games have. Not these shitty console ports.

When I saw that I cast my mind back to how compression artifacts were blamed for the decline in visual quality that started the initial backlash. This video looks like a shoddy camera aimed at a tv and I can still see how gorgeous the lighting is.

@shtempik

Expecting that is a bit ridiculous, PR may say anything it wants but no one know how the game turns out on that stage of the development including the devs.

---------- Zaktualizowano 21:52 ----------

@Netero
It is in the first sentence.

That's excuses..... I build custom cars for a living. We have any where from 3 to 7 cars at a time. A customer drops off their car with a vision in their head. Our artist and said"Customer" draw up what they want. Then we build it. Many times we have done the "impossible" , You either deliver or you do not. Simple. When you state as a company one thing and deliver another, sooner or later word gets out and you lose the best clients. This applies to any company. Standards. have some and succeed. Lose them and go out business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom