The Witcher 3 - Visuals

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
What he is saying is they made all 3 look the same.. thats why he PC version no longer has the aded effects..

So spreading FUD then?

Merged with the main thread. Anyone who wishes to give feedback on the visuals may, but please don't think that starting new threads with hyperbolic titles and first posts is acceptable.

And if people are going to try to leap to conclusions based on a comment like the one in that video, please try to avoid the chasm of doom and despondency on your way.

Last edited:
I've discussed this a lot in the downgrade threadnaught back then, but I called it quits with Marcin's statement in good hopes that all this fuss was for nothing. But now that Ultra has been shown, I really find it hard to believe him anymore.

Before you jump at me and accuse me of being a rabble-rouser and a doomsayer, let me clear up the air a bit. The game is more than the sum of its parts and the mood, atmosphere, mechanics and story are world-class, if not some of the best in recent memory. On this scale no less. That's not what I'm worried about. I also acknowledge the great upgrades made in the last years since SoD. Skin SSS, PBR across the board, improved weather dynamics and bloody great character self-shadowing/occlusion just to name a few. I will gladly purchase this game because it has heart and because it is made by people who still believe in the craft of making games instead of churning out yearly formulas.

What ticks me off is my growing impression that the game on PC (and perhaps the PS4 for that matter) has been neutered by MS because of X1-specific limitations. Yeah I'm one of those guys. Cutting to the chase :

- Very clear difference in lighting, not from a shading perspective but in the broader dynamic range that the SoD trailer featured. We lost a few EVs of range, and that has nothing to do with art direction.
- Quality and consistency of the lighting on the foliage. Yeah, that beaten dead horse, for good reason.
- Hard-coded LOD distances and baked texture resolutions. This is unforgivable from a company that should really know better, and the pop-in issues have already been pointed out.

Now, before you make the point that it is impossible to develop to the strength of each individual platform : I am well bloody aware of the realities of multiplatform development. I acknowledge how complex and ever-changing at breakneck speeds a AAA game of that magnitude is. But understand that as a PC user, it's hard to not be angry when for umpteenth time, the door to a future-proofing feature is closed for the sake of console politics. And yes, we do have the horsepower.

I really expected more of CDPR. My last hope is that an EE will give those features back. Because there's no doubt in my mind that there's an incredible, world-class talent and passion for rendering and graphics at CDPR, begging to make its way on our machines to melt our cards.

I will purchase the game and gladly enjoy it, I also completely disagree with the hyperbolic statement that CDPR pulled an Ubisoft. They've shown reasonable gameplay expectations, for one. But at the same time, please don't insult our intelligence and say that nothing's been lost since SoD or that we couldn't run it.

*puts flame hat on*

Last edited:
Fair post dolnac

You know what? i realised how "old" i feel in terms of beeing a Gamer...

I had my "why have consoles to slow down PC development i want my Ultra Rig to be fully used" phase back 10 years ago.. I cant care about that anymore... im just so used to it right now... The exact same debates in outrage about consoles holding PCs back and how unfair that is to PC Gamers where had back when the PS3 was out...

I am kinda like "this again huh?"^^ I went through all this already with Xbox360 and Ps3... for me there is no point in doing it again with the "new" consoles..

Engine and Hardware limitations.
You'll still be waiting many, many years before you aren't seeing pop-in like that. Every open world game has it, just varying degrees, and W3 seems to be up there with the games that do it the best.

I've recently been playing GTA V on Max settings. It has an incredible draw distance, probably longer than W3's, but even that game has very evident pop-in when you're driving around. It has probably the least pop-in I've seen in the recent slew of open world games, and W3's is about on-par.

We are not talking about pop in in the traditional sense, we are talking about objects behind geralt fading out prematurely before they are off screen. That shouldnt have anything to do with engine limitations and is not the same thing as draw distance. Its actually Occlusion culling gone wrong.

I think too many PC gamers have this idea that consoles are piddling little machines. They're not. You can't build a PC that performs like a PS4 for anything like the price of a PS4, and they can do everything a PC can do except waste time running WDDM and Windows in the background and waste time and memory shuffling resources in and out of VRAM.

Off topic, but this is untrue

Better back up that statement with facts, or prepare for the inevitable... "Duck & Cover" comes to mind...

We are not talking about pop in in the traditional sense, we are talking about objects behind geralt fading out prematurely before they are off screen. That shouldnt have anything to do with engine limitations and is not the same thing as draw distance. Its actually Occlusion culling gone wrong.

The post I replied to was referring to traditional pop-in, not what you're talking about.

However as for what you're talking about, then yes I agree, it seems like some kind of "occlusion culling gone wrong".

It could however even just be some intentional interaction with the dynamic camera to avoid stuff from blocking your FOV from behind, since the camera tends to be zoomed out further than most 3rd person games.

I personally don't think it's that big of a deal, but I can see how some people might be annoyed by it.

I thought that was a deliberate decision to circumvent objects blocking the view? I actually thought "Hey, cool, no trees blocking the view when fighting in the forest!".

I've discussed this a lot in the downgrade threadnaught back then, but I called it quits with Marcin's statement in good hopes that all this fuss was for nothing. But now that Ultra has been shown, I really find it hard to believe him anymore.

Before you jump at me and accuse me of being a rabble-rouser and a doomsayer, let me clear up the air a bit. The game is more than the sum of its parts and the mood, atmosphere, mechanics and story are world-class, if not some of the best in recent memory. On this scale no less. That's not what I'm worried about. I also acknowledge the great upgrades made in the last years since SoD. Skin SSS, PBR across the board, improved weather dynamics and bloody great character self-shadowing/occlusion just to name a few. I will gladly purchase this game because it has heart and because it is made by people who still believe in the craft of making games instead of churning out yearly formulas.

What ticks me off is my growing impression that the game on PC (and perhaps the PS4 for that matter) has been neutered by MS because of X1-specific limitations. Yeah I'm one of those guys. Cutting to the chase :

- Very clear difference in lighting, not from a shading perspective but in the broader dynamic range that the SoD trailer featured. We lost a few EVs of range, and that has nothing to do with art direction.
- Quality and consistency of the lighting on the foliage. Yeah, that beaten dead horse, for good reason.
- Hard-coded LOD distances and baked texture resolutions. This is unforgivable from a company that should really know better, and the pop-in issues have already been pointed out.

Now, before you make the point that it is impossible to develop to the strength of each individual platform : I am well bloody aware of the realities of multiplatform development. I acknowledge how complex and ever-changing at breakneck speeds a AAA game of that magnitude is. But understand that as a PC user, it's hard to not be angry when for umpteenth time, the door to a future-proofing feature is closed for the sake of console politics. And yes, we do have the horsepower.

I really expected more of CDPR. My last hope is that an EE will give those features back. Because there's no doubt in my mind that there's an incredible, world-class talent and passion for rendering and graphics at CDPR, begging to make its way on our machines to melt our cards.

I will purchase the game and gladly enjoy it, I also completely disagree with the hyperbolic statement that CDPR pulled an Ubisoft. They've shown reasonable gameplay expectations, for one. But at the same time, please don't insult our intelligence and say that nothing's been lost since SoD or that we couldn't run it.

*puts flame hat on*
I'm with you on this. I'm also tired of PCs getting shafted with console port games. It has been going on for years now. I've started my gaming since the 80s and till 2000 all was good for pc games. From 2000 to 05 things started changing to what we are experiencing today. I still keeping my preorder going. I still believe Witcher 3 will be a great game as shown in those early access releases. But I was expecting what I originally saw and thats why I spent almost 4k $$$ on my box to enjoy all those bling bling goodies.

I still believe in cdprojekts I like there no drm policies and I believe witcher 3 will be better than what we see now.

I think they've toned down the graphics to show how it looks for the consoles to sell them to the console fans. I think Pc guys will have better.

Last edited:
If you say the game has not been downgraded.. show me a Youtuber current GAMEPLAY video version that looks as good as below.. go on show me and i will take all my Bullshot comments back. Consols have taken away features form the PC version because they cant run it and they want parity across all 3 platforms.. .. watchdogs anyone.. pc gaming is bowing down to sofa gamers.

I thought that was a deliberate decision to circumvent objects blocking the view? I actually thought "Hey, cool, no trees blocking the view when fighting in the forest!".

If this is the case I would like to see an option to either zoom in/out on pc or cut that system off entirely. Its really immersion breaking and distracting.

If this is the case I would like to see an option to either zoom in/out on pc or cut that system off entirely. Its really immersion breaking and distracting.

Zooming would be a revelation for me. GTA V for example did it quite nicely with it's three different camera distances. Would be great if something like that was in the game, or if someone more skilled than me would make a mod. Browsing through the market stands in Novigrad while peeking over Geralt's shoulder; zooming out on top of the highest mountain on Ard Skellig... Ah, the possibilities!

If you say the game has not been downgraded.. show me a Youtuber current GAMEPLAY video version that looks as good as below.. go on show me and i will take all my Bullshot comments back. Consols have taken away features form the PC version because they cant run it and they want parity across all 3 platforms.. .. watchdogs anyone.. pc gaming is bowing down to sofa gamers.

If you mean grass, LOD, dust particle under horse feet, volumetric smoke and sharpness of texture then you are right. But if you mean lighting then how you can prove it ?If you mean color then nobody can downgrade color. Color can only be changed. Terrain is same. Models are improved. Number of trees and bush increased, dust or fog(do not know how to call it) added.(Do not mean distance, but on the village) and Birds still in game. Clouds still ingame.

This is same place. http://forums.cdprojektred.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13121&stc=1

And this is same color pallete with VGX: http://i.imgur.com/pYofrKu.jpg

Keep in minde res of new pictures.

Last edited:
People... damn some of you are a bit delusional right now..... i read things like "it looks very bad"

Damnit... yes we lost some things since VGX thats true but name me ONE Open World Game the size of TW3 that looks better?

GTA5 on PC is close... imo TW3 looks quite a bit better than GTA5.

So... i understand some peoples disapointment but "very bad" ... c'mon people..

It still is the best looking open world game to date. Its ok if you dont like the changes but some here make it seem as if there would be horrible PS2 Textures, Sega Genesis Character Models and Gamecube level lightning ...

With all my understanding some of youre disapointment... its getting out of hand a bit.

dust particle under horse feet
How on earth is that "downgraded"? It looks terrible already look at the picture, it's clipping through the horse and Geralt pretty badly.

volumetric smoke
? Based on what? Where did you see volumetric smoke and where did you see sprite based smoke?

sharpness of texture then you are right.
? What sharpness of texture? It's the same but with sharpening filter. You can do that to virtually any game, put a bit of sharpening and it will look more "detailed" but it is well known the human brain cannot differentiate between noise/grain and actual details(the concept upon which the modern video encoding is built upon) and that introduces tons of high frequency details that are distracting and temporally unstable - flickering.

Something about the VGX one just looks more...inviting.
Welcome to the art of cinematography :p

Something about the VGX one just looks more...inviting. Like, it looks like an open horizon, an endless world of possibility.

Now it just seems like..a typical open world game.'

I have no idea how to put it into actual words that make more sense

I know exactly what you want to say and it can be summed up in one word... Vast! Its the feeling that you get when you look at the concept arts and see those vast wide open landscapes that feels epic.

I agree, It was much better in the VGX trailer because it makes you feel like you are actually traversing a huge world. Adding foilage uneccessarily really takes away from that feel and shouldnt have been done in certain areas. The area in the VGX trailer felt like a proper farmland and the new version just feels generic as you stated, it doesnt have that flavor that the old version did.

Honestly I dont know why CDPR went in and changed things and downgraded the graphics so much.

Is it because they want to do a W3 remastered for the next Gen? Or maybe because the machines cant handle the fidelity (even though I'm sure PC's can). Perhaps they are saving the best for later games in this current gen so they can say "Our new game has better gaphics". Who knows, one can only hope that we get a DX12 update that improves the graphics and invites us to replay TW3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom