The Witcher 3 - Visuals

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
It isn't exactly meaningless. Nvidia having deals with certain games can lead to AMD cards running games very poorly. WB and Namco are just publishers to distribute physical copies, whatever. Microsoft owns the Xbox brand and they would certainly have a vested interest in, say, making the PC version not look too much better than on their console.

So Microsoft pay to "downgrade" PC graphic while Nvidia pay to "downgrade" AMD graphic that are used by consoles. CDPR Just take the moniez and "downgrade" graphics everywhere. Make sense.

As i've been noticing since the reveal of Witcher 3, the parity going on between consoles and PC version texture-wise etc, the modders will definitely have some work to do if the tools are there for it. As much as i used to ''champion'' them before, i've opened my eyes and seen the reality now. The choice to go Multi-Platform has without a doubt damaged Witcher 3.

While I think and agree the game looks different and some assets have defiantly been change and IMO not for the better as they for me has taken away ALOT of the initial atmosphere that had me so smitten I think it's a way over the top to say the game looks shit or plain bad because that is defiantly far true. The game will still be a milestone in terms of graphic fidelity for a open world RPG and thereby set new standards of that I am sure.

Why did I personally cancel my preorder you then ask? Well because I play RPGs for atmosphere - just as much as the story - well to me atmosphere plays a major part as a storytelling mechanic. Anyway in other words atmosphere means a HUGE deal to me which I hardly think is a secret and visually the game over these past years have just taken turns I personally don't like. I have kind of settle for the 35 min demo and accepted it because it still looked great to me while there were changes I disagreed with and didn't care for but ok I accepted it because some nice and clever people on here in terms of graphic fidelity argued that the VGX and Debut trailer really wasn't technically possible on todays hardware.

But the screenshot yesterday of the wall entrance to Novigrad really chock me because it was like two different games all over again and the atmosphere to me have yet again change and changed in a direction I personally don't like. I still hope it's a glitch, bug, whatever like the straight edges in the Janary gameplay trailer in the Nilfgaardian camp but I am not so sure. And therefore I am just more cautiously now and I will wait to see when the game is out where I can see some play it and show me more of the game before I decide whether I will buy it or not.

Finally I must admit that I am for sure happy I didn't buy a 980 yet that I considered for this game (well others too) but I am at least happy that I can now wait a bit more till they drop in prices hopefully. But OMG I would have been disappointed to have paid 500 dollars and then not even got the 35 min demo atmosphere. I can kind of understand people's frustration in this regard but ultimately I must agree that it's people's own responsibility.

Order graphics?! Really? Art-style and settings are tailored for such graphics, corridor game that probably do not have 1/10th of witcher systems in the background. Plus no AI. And there will be no 4K soon. The more processing power we get the more we get but in 1080p. Plying on the same hardware game on 4k would be downgrade because we would have better looking 1080p.

Finally I must admit that I am for sure happy I didn't buy a 980 yet that I considered for this game (well others too) but I am at least happy that I can now wait a bit more till they drop in prices hopefully. But OMG I would have been disappointed to have paid 500 dollars and then not even got the 35 min demo atmosphere. I can kind of understand people's frustration in this regard but ultimately I must agree that it's people's own responsibility.

Personally i settled for the 970, because i want to save money for when they release the Pascal models next year. I'm kinda glad i saved that bit of money, because obviously it wouldn't be taken fully advantage of here. When i look at the previous trailers they released, and what they have released recently, much of the atmosphere is gone like you said. It's hard to describe, but it definitely feels like it lost that feeling of being something extra special with attention to detail.

If you want to be taken seriously, drop the bit about "lying". If you want the moderators to start looking for reasons why your posts should be deleted and your account sanctioned, keep it up.

While I think and agree the game looks different and some assets have defiantly been change and IMO not for the better as they for me has taken away ALOT of the initial atmosphere that had me so smitten I think it's a way over the top to say the game looks shit or plain bad because that is defiantly far true. The game will still be a milestone in terms of graphic fidelity for a open world RPG and thereby set new standards of that I am sure.

Why did I personally cancel my preorder you then ask? Well because I play RPGs for atmosphere - just as much as the story - well to me atmosphere plays a major part as a storytelling mechanic. Anyway in other words atmosphere means a HUGE deal to me which I hardly think is a secret and visually the game over these past years have just taken turns I personally don't like. I have kind of settle for the 35 min demo and accepted it because it still looked great to me while there were changes I disagreed with and didn't care for but ok I accepted it because some nice and clever people on here in terms of graphic fidelity argued that the VGX and Debut trailer really wasn't technically possible on todays hardware.

But the screenshot yesterday of the wall entrance to Novigrad really chock me because it was like two different games all over again and the atmosphere to me have yet again change and changed in a direction I personally don't like. I still hope it's a glitch, bug, whatever like the straight edges in the Janary gameplay trailer in the Nilfgaardian camp but I am not so sure. And therefore I am just more cautiously now and I will wait to see when the game is out where I can see some play it and show me more of the game before I decide whether I will buy it or not.

Yeah, my heart sank when I saw that screen shot, and it isn't just the wall edge, the textures, the rocks, the grass clipping through the rocks, it looked like a Beta build, but it's actually the latest build running with all Nvidia's bells and whistles. There are no excuses that can be made at this stage. No time of day and resultant lighting to 'blame,' they've cut right back to make it playable on weaker hardware...........

I'm one of the mugs who bought, not one, but two GTX 980's for this game. Now I know that's complete overkill for what we will be getting. The 35 minute demo was supposed to be representative of the final product. I've been had.

The strangest thing is someone moved those grass parts up on the rocks, i honestly think CDPR being shape shifter reptiles are just fooling with us. But i still feel concerned.

The dynamic light does not mean that there must be shadow. Dynamic light mean that it is not baked. So when we move the light it illuminate different area. But the shadow can be disabled of that dynamic light.

Yes, dynamic lights will illuminate various objects in the scene, but if the dynamic lights do not cast proper shadows from the illuminated objects in the scene, then the whole thing can look fake.
These are small touches that can make a great deal of a difference in the end. It's not a problem for me, just sometimes some things can look out of place without the proper shadows, no matter how well lit those things are.

Yeah, my heart sank when I saw that screen shot, and it isn't just the wall edge, the textures, the rocks, the grass clipping through the rocks, it looked like a Beta build, but it's actually the latest build running with all Nvidia's bells and whistles. There are no excuses that can be made at this stage. No time of day and resultant lighting to 'blame,' they've cut right back to make it playable on weaker hardware...........

I'm one of the mugs who bought, not one, but two GTX 980's for this game. Now I know that's complete overkill for what we will be getting. The 35 minute demo was supposed to be representative of the final product. I've been had.

I feel sorry for you, and other people who thought this would be a beast to take advantage of what you bought. As i said, i'm glad i didn't go that extra step and do the same thing, because i would feel pretty terrible about it. As you can see on various forums, people expected better from them instead of cutting back on what they were showing off for PC.

I feel sorry for you, and other people who thought this would be a beast to take advantage of what you bought. As i said, i'm glad i didn't go that extra step and do the same thing, because i would feel pretty terrible about it. As you can see on various forums, people expected better from them instead of cutting back on what they were showing off for PC.

Cheers man, I'll get over it! I would have held off for Pascal or even Volta had I known this would be done. Never again will I be fooled, no more pre-orders, and no more buying hardware in anticipation for what's 'supposed' to be coming. I've learned my lesson on this industry.

Cheers man, I'll get over it! I would have held off for Pascal or even Volta had I known this would be done. Never again will I be fooled, no more pre-orders, and no more buying hardware in anticipation for what's 'supposed' to be coming. I've learned my lesson on this industry.

I upgraded to an i7 4790k and GTX 980 SLI in anticipation of the Witcher believing in the fact that CDPR could deliver. Think how much of a fool I feel now.

This is what hurts the most "WE BELIEVED IN CDPR"

Last edited:

Yes because that card(s) you bought will never be used ever *hides*

I bought a 970 myself though not for TW3 but so all my current games in general and future ones (until I upgrade again) will look better..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom