The Witcher 3 - Visuals

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
More and more, I'm convinced that this will rest on mods. But I have to respect CDPR for delivering on the engine, and the absolutely ginormous game-world with fantastic combat mechanics and what looks to be a completely unparalleled story.

Modding this is going to be so much more rewarding than modding Skyrim ever was.

LOOKS FINE TO YOU?

From this :

To this :

AND YOU'RE OK WITH THAT?
Witcher 3 WoW Edition!!!
Without a Geralt model I could easily believe that this shot was taken from World of Warcraft

Last edited:
Some thoughts on graphics without delving into downgrade too much because I don't think there is any - just "compromise":
* Dynamic lighting in certain circumstances can make assets look quite bland and 2dimensional (game will not always look 100% perfect, but we have dynamic lighting now, that's a plus.)
* Water looks too clean, even a swampy areas - it doesn't have any overlay texure for simulating some fallen leaves or other shit floating on the top (like in the our beloved VGX trailer). It's too transparent and plasticky. Also as cool as water tesselation effects are - they sometimes seem too unnatural - seems like a water is some gel substance. Also, it does not have transparency when you rise to the surface. I can say it looks stunning, but not natural at all...
* My thoughts on foliage is - they went for quantity instead of quality - the wind simulation, density, diversity, naturalism really makes the difference (I love it!). The Witcher 3 world seems natural in this aspect. It really amazes me. ... On the other hand, when you see some assets up close, they are just sprites or close to that. Also low resolution. I don't know if it is some oversight or just common sense (meaning hardware limitations), but there are games that make this much better (no and I don't think that foliage in W1 look better - far from it). DA:I looked quite nice, but it WAS STATIC!
* There are other possible visual problems in this game (latest trailer for example) which I will not discuss now because I don't have time for all that, but overall impression is very good. Judging from videos and screenshots the game looks fantastic but when you notice some deatails it is quite confusing. The material is very inconsistent. Something is obviously cut from the game, some things are "downgraded", some compromises are made. I am okay with that. We are only at the beginning of this journey - patches, mods, tweaks will follow - Skyrim is a good example of that being what it is - a sandbox game - unfinished as it was. And I am only talking about graphics now. Reds will nail the story - I am 99% confident, they will nail mechanics somewhat and overall feeling - the immersion, but there is always a place for improvement of graphics.

The GAME looks incredibly promising BTW. I can't wait to push START button :D on my beefed PC. ... Then I will judge.

Oh, and I just forgot to mention tha character faces (models, shaders, animations) really does look incredible. It also applies to monsters. It will be a good, good game (with it's faults), but still it will be one of THE BEST!

Last edited:
I also feel quite bad for CDPR, doing an amazing job and getting all this backlash near the release... They have really done an amazing job, putting countless hours into it.
That being said, I can't but feel kinda depressed now because I will just come out and say it straight and honest - The upper part of the game looks incredible, the lower part looks just horrendous (Grass mainly), it's like 2 styles of art collide causing pictures to look half amazing and that grass... my eyes just hurt from it and I can't believe I am saying this in the same sentence with Witcher 3 :( , Grass looked far better in Witcher 2, hell it looks the same as in the Witcher 1... Just makes me really sad...
To add to that, The only things that look incredibly bad, in my opinion, are grass and the fire/explosion effects, geez those fires look like... Just terrible... Low resolution or something, reminds me of fire and explosion effects in the first ps3 games...

Small addition that I must point out: Superb job on the clouds, just amazing, never seen anything like it, completely amazing, huge thanks for that!
Great lightning on day cycle as well! (Too bad that the night cycle looks much brighter than before but maybe that's just me, haven't seen enough to be sure of that).

Last edited:
LOOKS FINE TO YOU?

From this :

To this :

AND YOU'RE OK WITH THAT?

Are you seriously comparing a game with small and limited locations with a massive open world sand-box kind of game?

TW2 could take advantage of its limitations when it came to graphics. It was a small game. True, at its time it was truly groundbraking, though if you take into consideration the animations the many similar or repating/exactly the same charcter models, the - even at its time - not so impressive facial animations, the awful LOD etc. you will realise that TW3 is far more superior in many many ways graphically despite its huge size. Plus we've already seen high quality gameplay videos from TW3 and the picture you posted (just as the new trailer) does not do justice to the game and its graphics. By now we all know that it looks/can look much better than this. Every single Youtuber said that it looks amazing and that the game looks eons better on your rig than on YT.

Yes, we all know that CDPR had to make quite a few compromises on the graphical front - and yes it can be called a downgrade, since the graphics have evidently changed many times during the developement process to its advantage and disadvantage at the same time - but they had to do it in order to make the game playable and enjoyable for those who do not own dual Titan cards in their systems, plus they wanted other features to work without lighting up our rigs.

As far as I'm concerned the game still looks amazing for what it is: a huge open world rpg with a complex and non-linear, choices and consequences based story despite the downgrade/compromises/optimization. I also think that your comparison is quite unfair due to the very well known differences between the two games.

I like good graphics too - though I'm more of an art direction guy than a tech-geek, graphics purist - but I still don't see what's all this fuss about TW3 being awful looking. Also I'm amazed that rpg fans became soo graphics oriented.

Maybe GimmeDaGun, if that bottom image there didn't look like it came off an xbox 360 we wouldn't be this concerned about it. Sadly this game isn't even being made for xbox 360 so .... yeah. Technology has come a long way since the witcher 2. a LONG way.

>game is not finished yet wait for release then criticize
>game is finished, wait for mods

Actually technically it was.. they ask for more time to fix bugs and polish the game. If this is what I'm expected to get then I think I'll cancel my pre-order. I'm not impressed. I had expected them to add value content not remove stuff. I'm still hoping its all rumors about the downgrading. But my gut tells me there are some truths to these claims.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom