Thief mechanics in future!...

+
People, you can call me purist, but when I play an RPG I want to loot all NPC houses while they look at me with a dumb smile in their faces. I also want that the blacksmith (for say something) stills do business with me after I loot the corpse of his closest friend.

I want easy access to resourses to craft, trade, sell, etc.

I "explore" NPC houses to loot this resouces, and some times I found other interesting stuff too (rare items, side quest). But to explore a full town just 'cos you may get something at one house sounds borring to me.

I really don't care about immersion, it is just a buzz word to me, and if means that video games must have the same mecanics than real life I hope that everybody forget that word soon.

If you take away looting altogether you end up taking away the sole reason for exploring 90% of the houses/dwellings in the game. It would only work if you gave the player a different reason to explore those things.

Thothistox said:
If you take away looting altogether you end up taking away the sole reason for exploring 90% of the houses/dwellings in the game. It would only work if you gave the player a different reason to explore those things.

This. But there should be looting, more valuable and in a less no. of stuff than the abundant inside households. Other locations and outside seems to make some sense.

The morality meter would not make that sense in TW world, coz witchers like Geralt are not good or evil or paragon or renegade. I haven't played any elder scrolls game so dont know how this reputation meter works, maybe that would add some fun related to npcs and quests?

Adityathewarriorwithin said:
This. But there should be looting, more valuable and in a less no. of stuff than the abundant inside households. Other locations and outside seems to make some sense.

The morality meter would not make that sense in TW world, coz witchers like Geralt are not good or evil or paragon or renegade. I haven't played any elder scrolls game so dont know how this reputation meter works, maybe that would add some fun related to npcs and quests?

Why? Ok, I understand that there are shades of grey and all that. But reputation meter would serve to reinforce that. Reputation is what society perceives you to be - not who you really are. Kings and royalty would want to cooperate more with a witcher with spotless reputation - by their standards. Scoia'tael, brigands, intelligence services and alike would be likely to cooperate more eagerly with a renegade witcher.

You already had parts of that in TW1. It's a great shame that they resigned from it altogether (instead of expanding) in TW2.

The criticism of the current game is based on it being unrealistic. A reputation meter for theft isn't a solution from the real world (or the Witcher's world), it's a device from other games. However well-established and traditional it may be, I'd rather they implemented something closer to reality.

That probably means punishment if caught, or not being able to do it while people are watching, or removing the option completely for the looting of "owned" items in building or the town, or having some kind of purchase/pursuasion option.

I agree with other posters that removing it completely would also remove a lot of the incentive to explore, so this is also probably a bad idea. The other ideas seem good though.

Reputation as done in TW1 was specific to groups and individuals. If you pissed someone off, they wouldn't help you, and neither would their friends. That's fine. Even though it may not have been used as much in TW2, we do still see some instances, especially in Chapter 2/Roche.

dragonbird said:
The criticism of the current game is based on it being unrealistic. A reputation meter for theft isn't a solution from the real world (or the Witcher's world), it's a device from other games. However well-established and traditional it may be, I'd rather they implemented something closer to reality.

I find reputation to be very close to reality. Who would like to do business with a known thief? What king would invite him to his castle (though he could still communicate with him through intelligence services). Reputation is realistic - it's the very essence of realism.

That probably means punishment if caught, or not being able to do it while people are watching, or removing the option completely for the looting of "owned" items in building or the town, or having some kind of purchase/pursuasion option.

Punishment is fine by mine. However, why not take into account another factor - although you are punished, the society does not forget. Removing ability to loot houses, to me, would amount-to dumbing-down the game. RPGs are about complexity and interaction with the world. The more you can do in it, the more things you can influence, the better. Removing huge chunks of that would make another TW, an entertaining action adventure game.

I agree with other posters that removing it completely would also remove a lot of the incentive to explore, so this is also probably a bad idea. The other ideas seem good though.

Reputation as done in TW1 was specific to groups and individuals. If you pissed someone off, they wouldn't help you, and neither would their friends. That's fine. Even though it may not have been used as much in TW2, we do still see some instances, especially in Chapter 2/Roche.

Yeah, but reputation in TW1 was still very limited. There's much more you can do with this system - add another layer of C&C and so on.

Mrowakus said:
I find reputation to be very close to reality. Who would like to do business with a known thief? What king would invite him to his castle (though he could still communicate with him through intelligence services). Reputation is realistic - it's the very essence of realism.

(Bites tongue regarding the employability of thieves in government. Different thread, probably different forum :) )

Yes, but if you implemented the reality, there wouldn't be many quests left that you could do. And it would become the overriding C&C feature of the game, which it shouldn't be given that this isn't a game about a thief.

So instead you'd end up with some half-assed implementation where it just influences the types of conversations you have, and the realism would be lost.

Teamsleeper said:
I admit it is very weird .
But it will ruin the game otherwise ...

It won't ruin anything, just CDPR have to find right way to approach this matter, rather just take all and get away unpunished!...

sandisrd said:
It won't ruin anything, just CDPR have to find right way to approach this matter, rather just take all and get away unpunished!...

Precisely! All CDPRed has to do is think outside the box and find a way to implement feature that could prove entertaining - not cut it out because it will make easier for them to design.

Honestly, I am dismayed at the state of gaming industry, where instead of thinking of creative ways to implement a feature and add layer of complexity to their games, devs cut out half of the content, because they can't make it work in the pattern they've been using for years. As a result we get something like Dragon Age 2 which despite coming from an experienced studio (Bioware) doesn't have half complexity and features of Baldur's Gate 2 - a game published by relatively freshmen company (also Bioware).

I've seen the destruction of one company. I really, really don't want that to happen to CDPRed.

Mrowakus said:

Punishment is fine by mine. However, why not take into account another factor - although you are punished, the society does not forget. Removing ability to loot houses, to me, would amount-to dumbing-down the game. RPGs are about complexity and interaction with the world. The more you can do in it, the more things you can influence, the better. Removing huge chunks of that would make another TW, an entertaining action adventure game.

Yeah, but reputation in TW1 was still very limited. There's much more you can do with this system - add another layer of C&C and so on.

I read somewhere in IGN forums that in elder scrolls there is some sort of story manager which records your actions and npcs behave accordingly. Now that (atleast according to me) is pretty senseless that how do so others know about your character for your actions somewhere else? taking example of theft and stealth if it is done successfully, how would even someone come to know its you? This whole idea of reputation meter if it is in that way is rather odd. I agree to the above posts that it was well done TW1 which did make sense, its just the plot and approach of TW2 wasn't suited for that, like com'on Geralt was in search of the kingslayers and clearing his name, he didn't care as long as he got help from Iorveth/Roche (well as a matter of fact similar thing too in TW1)

As long as CDPR does things their own way i'm cool with it, its the matter of how the approach of the title. And as far the looting aspect, it is weird but very necessary without which would make getting resources a pain in the ass. More towards being unrealistic, but a necessity.

There's a single reason for breaking into houses and stealing stuff in rpg games, it's to stimulate exploration in order to find npc's who are quest givers or important items. Take that away and there's no need to enter houses, all doors might be locked shut. Looting houses is a remnant of rpg's of old, sooner or later developers will have to put some thought into making this feature relevant again (or scrap it completely)

I liked the stealth in TW2, but I just don't see how an expansion of that mechanic fits the lore even if one wants to play a dark version of Geralt. Witchers generally seem a little too direct, a little too confrontational to be thief characters in spite of the slightly silly house-looting mechanic. If a true "thief" option were included, I think it would almost have to be another character's attribute (Dandelion, I'm still looking at you).

I'm not saying that I don't want choices--I usually play rogues in other fantasy settings--but I really value the way they crafted two games' worth of narrative to fit what Sapkowski wrote, and I don't want to lose that to a mechanical convention of crpgs. It strikes me as very cool that in CDPR's games, some things are just so out-of-character or wrong for a given situation that there are real consequences for the player as a player. For example, I love what happens to Geralt if the player is consistently combative during Roche's initial interrogation. It's still role-playing, and it's still immersion, but it means that part of the "realism" of this world is that Geralt simply cannot do everything and anything. I wouldn't mind the additional mechanic, but as things stand I don't miss it, and I certainly wouldn't want it added thoughtlessly.

Hmm..

Personally I would like the NPC's to report the crime to call the guards to fine Geralt or haul him to jail, as simple as that. There is no need for extra complex thieving mechanism, as its Witcher not Theif Thief simulator 2012!.

Thieving and Geralt, they just don't match.

AnarkiHunter said:
Hmm..

Personally I would like the NPC's to report the crime to call the guards to fine Geralt or haul him to jail, as simple as that. There is no need for extra complex thieving mechanism, as its Witcher not Theif simulator 2012!.

Thieving and Geralt, they just don't match.

Meaning of this topic title is not literally, but opinions how community can react on Geralt innocent looting around town!!!... :)

sandisrd said:
Meaning of this topic title is not literally, but opinions how community can react on Geralt innocent looting around town!!!... :)

I was being sarcastic, partly. :D

- - -

Anyways, Since Geralt is a Witcher...a freak in the eyes of people (relative perspective). The people can take up pitch forks and make Geralt run for his life!.

If Geralt steals from a house, the next day the door will either be locked or be blocked by an angry house owner who wields a pitch fork!. Then after stealing from (ahem) more houses, the whole village or part of the town can chase Geralt when ever they see him and if caught will be burned alive!_Witch style.

That's what I meant about the danger of letting this issue become an overwhelming aspect of the game. As soon as you go for this kind of reaction, you're going to spend half the game worrying about it, or you just end up avoiding it completely by not looting, and therefore not exploring.

Honestly, I am dismayed at the state of gaming industry, where instead of thinking of creative ways to implement a feature and add layer of complexity to their games, devs cut out half of the content, because they can't make it work in the pattern they've been using for years. As a result we get something like Dragon Age 2 which despite coming from an experienced studio (Bioware) doesn't have half complexity and features of Baldur's Gate 2 - a game published by relatively freshmen company (also Bioware).

It depends which features and complexity you mean. I thought that, after the fiasco of DA:A's implementation of runecrafting, the removal of a lot of the crafting requirements in DA2 was an improvement. I'm also not disappointed that a lot of the "real world" requirements from earlier RPG games have gradually disappeared from modern games, stuff like "you need to rest/eat/crap every X world-hours otherwise your health will deteriorate". If the main gameplay lasts 40 hours, extending it to 50 hours by making you spend time resting, hunting for food or farming for ingredients for health potions is NOT improving the value of the game.

The same applies to the issue of theft. Yes, for immersion, it would be good if they come up with a way of dealing with it that still makes you explore, but they shouldn't blindly follow traditional techniques such as reputation, nor should it change the overall feel of the game.

dragonbird said:
That's what I meant about the danger of letting this issue become an overwhelming aspect of the game. As soon as you go for this kind of reaction, you're going to spend half the game worrying about it, or you just end up avoiding it completely by not looting, and therefore not exploring.

You are right here. That's why I think that the player should have an incentive in doing things that are morally wrong. For some gamers loot will be enough. Myself, I would consider ruining my reputation for one playthrough if it allowed me to have more quests.

Mind you, I just threw the idea about reputation out of random. I never expected it would become such an important issue.

It depends which features and complexity you mean. I thought that, after the fiasco of DA:A's implementation of runecrafting, the removal of a lot of the crafting requirements in DA2 was an improvement. I'm also not disappointed that a lot of the "real world" requirements from earlier RPG games have gradually disappeared from modern games, stuff like "you need to rest/eat/crap every X world-hours otherwise your health will deteriorate". If the main gameplay lasts 40 hours, extending it to 50 hours by making you spend time resting, hunting for food or farming for ingredients for health potions is NOT improving the value of the game.

I look at that differently. To me it amounts to, let me put it bluntly, dumbing-down games. I somehow find it astonishing that games from 90s were more complex than today's AAA titles. Now, I understand that some real life requirements can be a chore, but I find that solution of scrapping a potentially interesting feature altogether, because you can make it enjoyable is almost always wrong. The real answer is - make it more interesting. Make it inherent in gameplay, make it inseparable from it, make it meaningful for the player to use it.

Let's think about such a simple thing as death. In Infinity Engine (BG series, Icewind Dale series) games death is meaningful. You just can't allow you characters to day. First, rezing them can be expensive. Second, there are whole chunks in the game where you don't have access to a cleric capable of resurection. Third, there are attacks that can kill your chars permanently. Effect? You will do your best to keep your entire party alive and well. You will try to use abilities that can't damage your party but can cause chaos in your opponent's ranks. A basic, but complex tactical layer is added to gameplay. Because you cannot afford losses you will do your utmost to avoid them.

In comparison, death in Dragon Age is a joke. Unless it's a scripted cutscene no one will die. You can go all trigger happy just because you don't have to think about casualties, they will autmatically wake up after the battle as if that fireball in the face didn't hurt at all (if you play on the hardest setting, that is). If you don't have to think about your party's condition, you will not even try to use your skills as creatively as you should. And so, tactics in DA is one great farce.

I'm using this comparison to illustrate how something that is not fun (death) can contribute to gameplay and overall feeling of accomplishment, and how the lack of this common sense mechanic can ruin one's expereince.

It's the with with stealing in TW2, although here we are talking about progression (making feature more meaningful in the future TW installments), not regression (removing death from gameplay in DA). Adding the stealing and reputation layer makes sense in the context of the world the action takes place in. Moreover, ignoring both of them would hurt the consistency of the setting. From the logical standpoint there are no reasons not to implement them... except for the question how to do it in meaningful fashion.

There are many ways... like I said - make the community react to your crimes. Instead of a girl running behind you saying "can I be a witcher too?" make it so urchins will throw rocks at you and run away. From gameplay perspective, let Geralt receive bonuses to intimidation and penalties to diplomacy (separating those skills from each other, so that you won't get the same result when you use them, as it is now would also be a good idea).

Even the whole scene of being caught red-handed while stealing possessions could be solved in an interesting, meaningful manner. Say, a woman sees you nicking stuff - being powerless calls the guards. You try to rush out, but are accosted by militia. Fortunately, you have good connections in the court (reputation) so you easily intimidate guards to let you go. All is fine and dandy, but the rumour spreads. Next day you notice that the dwarven blacksmith is unwilling to talk to you, and when asked to show wares, he demands 30% more money than yesterday.

Simple, neat, meaningful. Slap a few sidequest on the top of that for sufficiently 'renegade' characters.

The same applies to the issue of theft. Yes, for immersion, it would be good if they come up with a way of dealing with it that still makes you explore, but they shouldn't blindly follow traditional techniques such as reputation, nor should it change the overall feel of the game.

First of all, I don't find reputation to be very traditional. It's very rare system in reality. Secondly, no one says that if they decided to go for it they have to take the same way everyone else had gone. Think outside the box. Make it meaningful.

Also, you are right. CDPRed shouldn't blindly go for such concepts. They shouldn't do it because some random dude on their forums thought this would be a good idea. But they also should not cut away their content, like many others before them did. I find it simply abysmall idea to remove something that could have worked but just never got fixed. It's a sure sign of dumbing-down streamlining, which brings about decline.

I say more, they should come up with their own ideas that could add layers upon layers of options. They should surprise us with how many things you could do, and how the world they so lovingly crafted could react to them. More options, more complexity, more interaction, more possibilities - that's what all cRPGs are about.

Sorry for derailing the thread.

TL;DR. Carry on

I just had a thought - when you loot, it automatically removes a piece of junk from your inventory as "payment". I'm sure all of the Lobinden peasants would happily donate to your Witcher's Needs in return for that fishing net you picked up off a body half an hour earlier.

Yes, I agree with you about death in DA2. Too over-simplified. At least we don't have that particular problem in TW2. But again, such issues shouldn't become an overriding aspect of the game. TW2 *did*, I think, get it wrong with the Dark Mode items, which suddenly raised "farming for orens" into an over-significant activity.

I want story, combat and immersion in a game, in that order. If immersion is handled by too much emphasis on elements that don't contibute to the story, such as eating, sleeping, working, shopping, minigames, then I don't consider it a bad game, but not necessarily the type of game that I'd want to play.

The thread is generating ideas, giving feedback. No "CDPR MUST do this". If they read it and get some ideas, fine. If not, I'll probably still love TW3.

Top Bottom