Thief mechanics in future!...

+
Blothulfur said:
You know they've got fine underused sneaking animations and activity cycles for all of the characters so why not combine the two and have Geralt have to pick locks or climb through windows and sneak into houses at night or when they're unoccupied. Obviously during the daytime housewives will not let a strange and dangerous mutant into their homes, so why not have to work for our looting. Course robbing that village elder in Lobinden who continues to tell stories while asleep would be kind of eery but you'd still get access to all of the quest homes, such as the tanner who keeps the troll head on his wall and runs a business from his home or Einar Gausels little bookshop.

Actually it would add another way of completing quests, for instance in the scent of incense quest you could break into the alchemists shop after he's locked up and steal the formula.

This would all work just fine if Geralt wasn't a predefined character who isn't a thief.

I don't like this idea at all, Thief mechanics in the witcher...

But maybe what I would like to see in future witcher installments is the houses in the tutorial mode.
When you tried to enter the house at night someone would say: "We don't open to strangers, We don't like witcher's here!"

That helped the immersions a lot for me.

PsyCoil said:
I don't like this idea at all, Thief mechanics in the witcher...

But maybe what I would like to see in future witcher installments is the houses in the tutorial mode.
When you tried to enter the house at night someone would say: "We don't open to strangers, We don't like witcher's here!"

That helped the immersions a lot for me.

Of course i don't want to see thief mechanics in TW2 as well, where you as a player can become Geralt(thief), but want i want to see is that community around Geralt take some kind of action against Geralt innocent looting!!!...

Wen i was playing first and second TW!, i choose to not loot houses or other property's, so i was trying to avoid this kind of robbery thing, but for many players that temptation towards looting and be innocent gets over them, stating this is just RPG...

slimgrin said:
This would all work just fine if Geralt wasn't a predefined character who isn't a thief.

That right Geralt isn't thief, but you as a player control him, so in that moment wen you looting property's he is becoming in certain way a robber!...

Aaden said:
The same logic applies to: "Altair in Assassin's Creed should be able to become a Templar instead of staying a lame assassin-dude" or "You should be able to join the Blight's cause in Dragon Age: Origins".

Every game has a set of premises which can not be altered. You ARE an assassin, you ARE meant to fight for good. It's partially necessary to make a story work, and partially it's technical restrictions making these premises necessary (like boundaries of game world, limited interactions with the game world).

Arguably, one of those is "Geralt of Rivia is a man of virtue in a world of unjustness and mischief". If you take that away, you lead the whole concept of choice and consequence ad absurdum because moral standards would not have influence on Geralt's choices, making them arbitrary. And taking away the central element of TW2's concept makes it just another RPG.

No, it is not, in the least bit.

Joining the blights cause and stealing for a greater good are not at all the same thing. I'm not saying to turn Geralt into a serial grandma killer, just to let us shape him in more diverse ways. OBVIOUSLY he will always be a man of unwavering moral standards (Thogh it is always interesting when these can be challenged), but that does not mean all his actions should be confined to how YOU view what constitutes this particular personality trait.

GibbGeralt said:
No, it is not, in the least bit.

Joining the blights cause and stealing for a greater good are not at all the same thing. I'm not saying to turn Geralt into a serial grandma killer, just to let us shape him in more diverse ways. OBVIOUSLY he will always be a man of unwavering moral standards (Thogh it is always interesting when these can be challenged), but that does not mean all his actions should be confined to how YOU view what constitutes this particular personality trait.
No. Just no.
I would be like making Aragron a back-stabbing assassin for a greater good Witcher games are not sandboxes. And it is a good thing, as sanboxes usualy are making boring games, think Oblivion or Morrowind.

No need to loot from houses, although items should be cheaper to buy. Finding a ton of Orens isn't easy, so far I've found the easiest source of income to be harpy feathers. Otherwise, if you're trying to buy expensive stuff (like the new dark items), it's a pain to save enough orens. That's also why I haven't bought any yet (and I'm more than 1/2 through Chapter 2). Spending 4 or 5k on diagrams and then having to go find the components is just not worth my time.

pomor said:
No. Just no.
I would be like making Aragron a back-stabbing assassin for a greater good Witcher games are not sandboxes. And it is a good thing, as sanboxes usualy are making boring games, think Oblivion or Morrowind.

Cool, having a diverse character now means it's a sandbox game. I'll keep this in mind.

Honestly, the more oppurtunities to shape Geralt, without compromising his core components, the better. Hell, in the Witcher 1 you could make it so Geralt actually enjoyed killing humans in the identity quests.

These components have been there from TW1, they just weren't as apparent in TW2.

GibbGeralt said:
Cool, having a diverse character now means it's a sandbox game. I'll keep this in mind.

Honestly, the more oppurtunities to shape Geralt, without compromising his core components, the better. Hell, in the Witcher 1 you could make it so Geralt actually enjoyed killing humans in the identity quests.

These components have been there from TW1, they just weren't as apparent in TW2.

This.

People, we are talking about RPGs. By that we don't mean sandboxes. All the same, having character who's personality is invulnerable to player's playstale reeks of jRPGs and ME series. The more options, the better - always. Ther only question is integrating those options so as not to harm the narrative. Yes, it's more difficult than in your avarage sandbox where the story means next to nothing. However, if CDPRed are as innovative as their fans claim they are, this should be merely a challenge, not impossibility.

Else, if they decide to just stick to the formula (which isn't that perfect, as proved by a number of dissenting voices), and worse, cut down the content (e.g. looting NPCs houses) they will fall into stagnation as some others did before *cough* *cough* *Bioware* *cough* *cough*.

They should use a similar system that was used in Risen, stealing if found out would get you killed very quick.

I do not have a solution for the looting problem but I would like to be able to read a book and then give it back.
that way it is not like stealing, only like borrowing. You could even ask the owner if it is ok. that way we have access to more books without Geralt being an asshole all the time. Maybe they should have moved the loot to quest only. Meaning enemies drop a few more things and locations for quests have some kind of loot after the fight you can pick up. Best example is the cave where you pick up Tawny Oil after fighting the salamandra-spin off bandits. there was some loot there, they just could have expanded it. A

I don't like to play Geralt as a thief.

But there is a thing I didn't like in The Witcher 1 & 2 : the possibility to pick up everything in people's house, without any reaction of them.

There will be Thief mechanics in the Witcher 3 (I've read it this week on a french site). If those mechanics include propers behaviours against Geralt's "pillages", it's a good thing.

Sorry. I didn't saw it's an old thread. But I didn't wanted to open a new one just for this.

sandisrd said:
I love CDPR work, and its great to play TW2 over again many times, but wondering around those incredible locations, especially in Flotsam so many things you can find />/> , problem is that you can take everything!, what in barrels, boxes, shelf's, wardrobes and uttc, so its just bagging to be some kind of thief mechanics, and if someone catch you, than you have to face consequence!!!... />/>
Of course this kind of system can make game a bit harder but i also think it can make more interesting situations!. :rolleyes:/>/>

Share you opinion about this kind of game element... :D/>/>

It's like Aurora Engine games but without lockpicking and trap disabling. Played Neverwinter Nights? I was only bothered on my first playthrough on the first game when 'stealing'. All other playthroughs I looted just about everything but the nails holding the houses together. I would be very surprised(pleasantly) if anyone commented my(Geralt's) rummaging in Witcher 3. That would add some conundrums on how to get the loot. :)

But Geralt is an established character and never in any books did he steal anything. I know thieves exist but I wish they could just keep it to themselves. I hate it when thieves always try to come push their agenda on everything nowadays. Just imagining Geralt wanting to touch other people's stuff with those disgusting sticky fingers... ugh! I might have to reconsider buying this game.

Then don't steal, period. "Real life" also lets you steal but that doesn't mean YOU have to do it.

I do agree there should be more reactivity, and people shouldn't let you steal from them. About "the loot", who cares? There are more important things in a ROLE-PLAYING game than loot and levels.

Aaden said:
This. And therefore my opinion: Just remove all the loot from people's home and property. Digging through all that trash is tiresome anyways and only done because your subconscious is telling you that you might miss that one barrel filled with something epically witchertastic - which it never is - or because you're picturing a huge heap of orens.
In an open world (or more generally speaking: less restricted - especially in choice of hero and career) game that kind of mechanic makes sense. But in very story- and character-driven games like The Witcher it's plainly ridiculous and unnecessary.

Agree, this is one of the few immersion breaking things that have been bothering me since The Witcher 1.... but removing the loot altogether would as mentioned before do more damage than good, as it would remove the main incentive to exploration and would contribute to the streamlining of the game.

Aaden said:
Special ingredients, monster parts and such should be acquired by doing witcher stuff(doing contracts/quest and killing monsters)

Ingredients/Raw materials that can not be found roaming the wilderness (so, pretty much anything but herbs and monster parts) can be found looting human corpses, hostile camps or, primarily, can be bought (including the required rebalance of the economic system).

Agree with this!

Aaden said:
Immersion is the #1 most important factor of an RPG. It's the complete opposite of a "buzzword" - it's a fundamental tenet that RPGs have been based on since the birth of the genre. Here's the catch, though - Immersion does not mean Realism. Sometimes the two concepts intersect, but they are far from synonymous.

Immersion refers to a continuity of tone or themes in a game. A simulated world should play by its own rules - when it fails to do so, the player's immersion is broken (assuming the player is conscious of his/her immersion, and not just mindlessly clicking buttons). In The Witcher 2, Geralt's random acts of robbery and the blank stares of peasants that accompany them are a perfect example of the game-world failing at its own rules. Like a glitch in the Matrix.

In case it isn't self-explanatory, here's why: Geralt's character (in both the books and the games) is along the lines of a "neutral good" alignment for those of you who are familiar with D&D. He fights evil 'cause it pays the bills, so he's no hero. But if he saw a kitten about to be devoured by hungry drowners, he'd probably go out of his way to save it. This isn't the type of character who would compulsively loot every cottage in his path, especially when the villagers we come across in The Witcher 2 are usually dirty and destitute. These are the types of people Geralt helps (for coin), not the type he robs. However, Tw2 is an RPG with a crafting system, and it would be pretty bizarre if the world were strewn with crafting items outside of peoples homes, but nary a book or a ladle to be found within. The items are there because they belong in the game world - that's an element of immersion. But CDPR has allowed the player to simply ransack these poor NPC's homes without redress! The fact that Geralt can't even draw his sword in Flotsam without alerting every guard in the area, but those same guards couldn't care less when he fills his pockets with someone else's twine, is an incongruity in the rules of the game-world. It's a deviation from the tone of the narrative - this is a dark, serious world where crimes have severe penalties (just look at Geralt's back)- and the omission makes for a glaring break in the player's immersion.

But again, if you play games without thinking about plot or tone or characters or themes - if you play games simply to amass the biggest stack of timber or the most Arena points - you won't have to worry about immersion, because it doesn't exist for you. There are better games than Tw2 for gamers like that, though. World of Warcraft comes to mind.

very good post! i ran out of +reps for the day so could not rate it up!

Wonder if this was really necessary. That's so Lore breaking, all that is needed now is stealing for quests or essential survival items.
After Novigrad and dice removal -this. Disappointing.

My idea;

If someone caught you stealing, NPC's scream and run looking for guards.. you have few seconds to hide or deal with consequences of being a asshole. No karma bs like in DA.

Top Bottom