TW3: freeplay

+
TW3: freeplay

What do you think about the possibility of the game continuing after the credits? Don't you think that it "blurs" the finale and prevents it from being put to an end once and for all? It is like watching a good movie after the credits when everything has already been said and done.

I guess it might be somehow similar to Dragon age Inquisition.

When you kill the final boss you do the ceremony thing then you can continue doing w/e you want..

I think that they said in one interview that you'll be able to continue playing the game after the credits...

It was in one of the interviews - you can continue, but it will take you back to before the "endgame" sequence, whatever that is (The point where sidequests normally get locked out)

This is one of those things that's kind of unavoidable in open games like this:

Of course we all just want to keep playing and playing and playing. But there are so many cases where I complete a game and continue to wander the world doing my own thing, and it just doesn't sit right-- sort of breaks the immersion to a certain extent and can make the story feel like a sham. Not that its ruined, just that you're forced to realize that this IS in fact simply a game. That being said-- I'm going to play the hell out of this game hahaha (before and after the credits roll).

This is one of those things that's kind of unavoidable in open games like this:

Of course we all just want to keep playing and playing and playing. But there are so many cases where I complete a game and continue to wander the world doing my own thing, and it just doesn't sit right-- sort of breaks the immersion to a certain extent and can make the story feel like a sham. Not that its ruined, just that you're forced to realize that this IS in fact simply a game. That being said-- I'm going to play the hell out of this game hahaha (before and after the credits roll).

Hmm... Well in that prosper.... Skyrim kind of totally nailed it ?

I mean even if you kill Alduin you still got a ton of frigging content to do, like for example join the dark brotherhood/thieves guild/College of Winterhold/Companions...

But in Skyrim you just played yourself as dragonborn.

In Witcher 3 you play Geralt.

Hmm... Well in that prosper.... Skyrim kind of totally nailed it ?

I mean even if you kill Alduin you still got a ton of frigging content to do, like for example join the dark brotherhood/thieves guild/College of Winterhold/Companions...

But in Skyrim you just played yourself as dragonborn.

In Witcher 3 you play Geralt.
Yeah you've outed me-- I never finished skyrim haha. I'm not saying its a fault of game design, its just my personal connection to various gameplays. I'm sure there are games that have got it right, but none come to mind from my personal experience.

For example FF... IVXMVII... or whatever. You wind up being dropped in literally outside the door of the final battleafter an 80+HR play experience that led you to that point. I turn and run in the opposite direction to continue about my merry business of questing and I can almost feel the character glancing over their shoulder and mumbling quietly to me-- "uh, the dudes right there! Where the hell are you going!?" Haha

Edit-- also, AC comes to mind. I loved the hell out of the primary AC games/story arch. And I thought I'd explore every dark corner and haystack available, silently (and sometimes not so silently) dispatching my enemies. But it never lasted for more than a few hours in each games case. GTA is kind of the exception to the rule, considering there's just so much crap to do, but I've pretty much burnt out of that franchise. GTA 4 was great and all, but I think after the story ended I only logged about a dozen hours at most of free play. No interest in GTA 5, just burnt out on the series and looking for a different experience in my gaming.

Last edited:
It was in one of the interviews - you can continue, but it will take you back to before the "endgame" sequence, whatever that is (The point where sidequests normally get locked out)

Well that sucks.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they also say that there will be special post-ending content? At least that's how interpreted it.

You can't really 'finish' Skyrim by the way.

I like the idea of letting you keep playing, but in games where you get returned to an area before the endgame, I can understand why people would not like it. I can't explain things very well, so I won't go into it. You just gotta do it right. GTA and Skyrim are the only games you can keep playing after you do the main quests, but there's still places to go, cars to steal, and people to kill.

I've got a level 32 Dark Elf on Skyrim and I haven't even done any quests yet.

True that.

Well at least I know that I will finish the whole of Witcher 3 before i finish the Main quest. Seeing how i am gonna find myself checking every nook and cranny of every rock out there, with the exception of toilets.....

I aint checking the toilets......

True that.

Well at least I know that I will finish the whole of Witcher 3 before i finish the Main quest. Seeing how i am gonna find myself checking every nook and cranny of every rock out there, with the exception of toilets.....

I aint checking the toilets......

Aw come on . Some of the best loot in games are found in toilets . Like commercial grade bullets for instance ;)

Aw come on . Some of the best loot in games are found in toilets . Like commercial grade bullets for instance ;)

I AINT CHECKING THE TOILETS!!!!

That's final! dont make me regret my decision and go ahead and check the toilet just because that simple toilet has an UBER smexy weapon/armor..... Come on T_T

I AINT CHECKING THE TOILETS!!!!

That's final! dont make me regret my decision and go ahead and check the toilet just because that simple toilet has an UBER smexy weapon/armor..... Come on T_T

Medieval era - toilets, chests... they all look the same.

I don't see how this is a problem at all. Skyrim was the same. So was Dragon Age: Inquisition. This is to allow the player to continue exploring and do side quests.
This is NOT a movie. Massive difference! You don't role-play a movie. You do however role-play an RPG.

Well that sucks.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they also say that there will be special post-ending content? At least that's how interpreted it.

There are epilogue sections, which I assume are linear endgame segments, but that's something different.
For reference
- In TW1 everything in the Ice Fields was "Epilogue"
- In TW2 everything after the dragon was "Epilogue"
TW3 has multiple epilogues depending on your decisions. My guess is that the free-play takes you back to just before this.

One of the devs explained that we can continue after finishing the main quest. He mentioned how in other RPGs he often refrains from following the main story line in order to do all the side quests first, since completing the main quest typically ends the game.

Going by that statement, it would seem ending the main story line should be no barrier to continuing the game. He encouraged people simply play like they want, rather than feel pressured into a specific way of playing.

One of the devs explained that we can continue after finishing the main quest. He mentioned how in other RPGs he often refrains from following the main story line in order to do all the side quests first, since completing the main quest typically ends the game.

Going by that statement, it would seem ending the main story line should be no barrier to continuing the game. He encouraged people simply play like they want, rather than feel pressured into a specific way of playing.

If you think so. I may be misremembering.

Top Bottom