Unrealistic Expectations?

+
I'm not worried about gameplay specifically as I've watched numerous videos confirming that it's more than adequate enough. What I'm most worried about at the moment is framerate drops on the PS4 version. I hope that it's not too evident in the final game.

Unrealistic expectations because of cdpr's fake gameplay trailers and bullshots (heavily edited fake screenshots) ?
Yes.
They hyped this game and misguided customers with that fake gameplay trailers and fake screensthots.
This is called false advertising and should be punishable by law.
Btw, Combat looks lame as well.
Tomorrow you will all see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDilcyyyKJM

Have a nice day.

the game looks exactly as good (even a little better in my opinion) than any of the gameplay footages shown...... dont mistake in-engine footage with gameplay footage...... gameplay is where a person is actually playing the game as you would in real life.... in-engine is the one with the really cool camera angles and slow panning shots..... Debut Gameplay, VGX, Sword of Destiny, Elder Blood, and the newer ones, all were in-engine trailers.... even if the title says "gameplay trailer" its only gameplay if a person is really playing the game and the camera follows the player like it would in the game....

theres has been tens if not hundreds of hours now, of REAL gameplay... on twitch and youtube, before the game is out...... so you cant really say that they falsely advertised the game....

remember 10-15 max minutes of cool trailers vs 10-100 HOURS of REAL awesome gameplay.....

Well there are only 3 games i have even had even close to this amount of hype with. First being Empire total war which was a massive let down, second being Red dead redemption which was disappointing at first but after a few hours started loving it. 3rd was witcher 2 and it lived up to my hype So i am not worried, but i feel i have ruined the first few hours of the game by watching so many gameplay videos

the game looks exactly as good (even a little better in my opinion) than any of the gameplay footages shown...... dont mistake in-engine footage with gameplay footage...... gameplay is where a person is actually playing the game as you would in real life.... in-engine is the one with the really cool camera angles and slow panning shots..... Debut Gameplay, VGX, Sword of Destiny, Elder Blood, and the newer ones, all were in-engine trailers.... even if the title says "gameplay trailer" its only gameplay if a person is really playing the game and the camera follows the player like it would in the game....

theres has been tens if not hundreds of hours now, of REAL gameplay... on twitch and youtube, before the game is out...... so you cant really say that they falsely advertised the game....

remember 10-15 max minutes of cool trailers vs 10-100 HOURS of REAL awesome gameplay.....
Don't bother. It's not worth it.

It's the 11th hour and I've been hyped for this game for such a long time. I've been visiting forums endlessly, reading/watching people's experiences, watching gameplay footage and trying avoid spoilers at the same time. My expectations are through the roof. I have an image in my head on how the game will play and what feels I will experience during my playthrough.

And now I worry that I've set myself up for some level of disappointment. The best experiences I've had have always come from games and movies I've had low expectation for, or walked-in blind knowing little about it. And some of the most disappointing experiences have come from stuff that I've been so excited for I almost lost sleep over.

I worry that although I know the game will be great, it just won't meet this expectation I have for it. That the feels I'm hoping for never surface to the same degree I envisioned during my personal build-up.

Anybody else worry too? Genuine concern? Or just last minute jitters?

I was hyped to no End like you. But only because i believed the Fake Gameplay and untrue statements of CDPR since 2013.
The current Game dont even look like the Game we were promised. I hope the Story and Chars can make it good, but the
Grafics is a huge disappointment.

I was hyped to no End like you. But only because i believed the Fake Gameplay and untrue statements of CDPR since 2013.
The current Game dont even look like the Game we were promised. I hope the Story and Chars can make it good, but the
Grafics is a huge disappointment.

graphics are fine.

same here @Gothfather

i expect it to keep me distracted for a while, but i don't think it is the perfect game in the end. there are some things i found a bit weird in terms of design decisions, also i miss some core mechanics and a few minor things in general, but as long as i will play W3 for about 50 hours and still enjoy it, it was worth the purchase (digital preorder, standard edition, got it cheap).

We're at a point in the video game history that we could compare to human adolescence. The gaming industry is hyper competitive and it's becoming more and more difficult to find original ideas and concept to appeal. Game developers have to make their games shine at all cost (like young girl putting on Make up to appear more "adult") and by doing that, they create a hype phenomenon that often exceeds expectations and put them in a position where the only thing they can do, once they figure out they won't be able to meet said expectation, is giving players the silent treatment. As usual, they don't have back up plans, nor do they communicate, cause at that point, everything they'd say would be turned against them. it's high school all over again, you just have to stay silent and endure until the storm pass.

One could say it's a weird analogy, but I come from the video game industry (comunity management as it is) and many people I know think like this. So yes it was unreasonable to think we'd have the visual quality of the sword of destiny trailer, especially for an open world as massive as TW3. Yes it was unrealistic to think that they'd put more effort into the PC version of the game, since CPDR has fallen into the clutch of console majors MS / Sony.

But the one thing that caracterize PC gamers in general, is their ability to expect the best of the best (even when you know your rig will not be able to make something run in extreme quality), you still like to think you'll be able one day, or that some other can enjoy it!

CDPR set the expectation very high, and they KNEW IT. The thing they didn't know at the time (or maybe they did?) was that the so called next gen consoles couldn't handle the vision they had of their game. Sure, PC could, with very high end rigs but that was unrealistic to think they would make a game for less than 1% of the gamers. But we should have had the option.

The whole drama is a PR fiasco. The worst thing being they continue to features screenshots and "old videos" on the different stores where the game is available. If they'd been honest, they would have withdraw them a long time ago.

I too had unrealistic expectations from the game.My msi gtx 970 would be playing the same visuals as the ps4,Textures,models,Geometry,lightning,Draw distance....I expected Cdpr to blow it out of the park as they did with Witcher 2.

I don't have any hard feelings for them but then again I don't have any level of respect either after the reveal,I get it not everyone can be like Rockstar or ND but their track record made me hopeful.

Either way I hope the 60fps would atleast be a nice consolation as the game itself seems to be fantastic.

graphics are fine.

nuff said.

Attachments

• nwqnoy.jpg
    nwqnoy.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 40
  • W3_2015.JPG
    W3_2015.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 34
From the gameplay videos and streams I've seen so far, the game is meeting my expectations just fine. Maybe even more.

One of the things I wanted the most from it was a comeback to the atmosphere of the first game, and hell yes it's there.

Just a bit worried about the difficulty though.

and 2015 version it look alot better than 2013
I dont know what wrong in 2015 and let alone that from ps4
How can people say this 2013 pic are better than 2015 just beyond my understanding.

I've barely seen anything. I have no idea what to expect for the game. This is one of the first times I stayed in the dark about a game I had been waiting on for a long time.

EDIT: About the Graphics problem, I can totally see a difference in the comparison. I'm getting it for PS4, and I'm not really concerned much about the graphics, but I just wanted to add my 2 cents. There's a very obvious difference there.

Last edited:
Then they should play the Order 18XX something.. Sorry, this downgrade people are annoying as hell. No sympathy or understanding from my side for people like that. Especially after reading many comments (elsewhere) from this group of people, where they justify pirating the game, because of this perceived downgrade,

The Witcher is the best looking open world game in existence. Seriously what do these people expect on top of that graphic wise? And why should any sane person have understanding for many months of whining and bitching about a perceived downgrade of the graphics, they haven't even seen in their games yet?

I never said that it should be pirated because of any downgrade, in fact I was posting against it yesterday. There is a whole bunch on DSOG that is trying to justify piracy because of this and I continue to speak against them even alone.

As for the matter of downgrade, I too was quite vocal about it when it started looking lower in visual quality compared to SOD, VGX or 35 mins demo but then I just dropped the subject altogether because it's not going to change anything.

For me both sides are victim of something, it's like being a fanboy or being a hater. Those who shadow everything the game has to offer just because of graphics are exaggerating bunch living with hate and fail to realize that several areas have been improved and those who say they don't care about graphics are living in some barbie land, seriously in 2015 you don't care about graphics ? graphics is something that makes PC gaming a better option, it's not everything but it means a lot. When you run a game graphics is the first thing that builds your immersion so yes they matter.

Also this parity statement is just like salt on the wound, regardless of how you will defend it by saying it's a PR statement the game became victim of parity. If you remove GameWorks (HBAO+, HairWorks etc which are also offered in Ubisoft games), the ultra becomes painfully equal to PS4 version so this is how you max out every platform ? by making PC version equal to PS4 ? no I don't think so.

In any case I like to remain realistic that the PC version suffered more or less but also optimistic that they will learn something from this experience and with the success of this game they'll have enough man power to focus on every platform. I also acknowledge the fact that the game still looks the best in it's genre.

I have no sympathies towards those who aim to pirate it but there is a guy out there who just cancelled his collectors edition (there will be many others) because of this debacle, I certainly feel for him.

Good.Why are you removing posts which criticise the game?
If all you want is fanboys blindly praising w3 the why have the forums in the first place,Moderation here is ridiculous,My posts were neither derailing,Insulting nor trolling.Yet they were removed.

Two posts have been removed. One for the reasons already stated (it had to be removed twice), the other for using insulting language towards those who think there's a downgrade.

None of the deleted posts were yours, so I'm happy to see that you modified your own post.

Two posts have been removed. One for the reasons already stated (it had to be removed twice), the other for using insulting language towards those who think there's a downgrade.

None of the deleted posts were yours, so I'm happy to see that you modified your own post.

The insulting one was me i think.. my bad just sick of all the downgrade talk sorry

I agree wholeheartedly,I've never in my life seen a game which looks exactly the same on console as it does on pc ultra,Shame on you Cdpr really learn from Dice,Rockstar or even your past.

---------- Updated at 09:37 AM ----------

I apologize,I couldn't find my post before( browsing on my phone here),I take all of it back.

I doubt the game itself will disappoint me, as I loved the previous games and this game does everything I wanted for a sequel. I always love open world games, but they are fixing a lot of things I usually also hate with open world games. For instance there is no stupid level scaling system in place, so you can encounter enemies that are much more powerful. Many have stated that the game is similar to Red Dead Redemption but just better and with a lot more RPG elements. And since Red Dead Redemption is one of my all time favorite games, that sounds amazing.

That being said, I am very disappointed by the graphical downgrade and especially the silence by the devs on the matter. It is shady, and it shows that developers are the same, they lie and do false advertisement. CDPR was one of the few I thought had more integrity, they do on some parts still, such as how they deal with DLC. And to be honest, the downgrade is not really the worst part, but the fact that they did not admit to it and instead have stated in interviews that Witcher 3 would not get a downgrade on PC.... No one likes being lied to... The trust has been tarnished, and that is sad. I expected more from them. I will still buy Witcher 3 and probably love the game. It might even become my all time favorite game. But I will always have that thought in the back of my mind, thinking just how much better the game could have been if the developers actually stuck to their own vision of the game instead of limiting themselves just because of consoles.

Top Bottom