Whilst this game has set the bar XP is far too easy....

+
Whilst this game has set the bar XP is far too easy....

This is the most amazing CRPG I've played since Fallout - and you're talking to a guy who started with PnP in the early 80s and has played virtually *every* CRPG/MUD/MMO there is - my only real complaint is that it's just far too easy to outlevel quests. I'd dearly love to see XP halved, at least for the main quests, and slow down leveling considerably. I finished the game at 34 with a ton of stuff to do - mostly grey now - and about a million things I have done in-game. Yes, I'll aim to to them when next I do a playthrough but it'll still result in the same problem with XP as it currently is.

What an effing amazing adventure this has been. Thanks so much, CFPR!

I had the same problem outlevelling quests, it seems if you really want to preserve challenge and difficulty you need to choose between focusing on main quest or focusing on side quests as you'll only really get the true challenge on one or the other. Since I already beat the game once I'm going to play my Death March game and focus predominantly on side quests and only progress the main story as needed to unlock more content.

Are you on PC? If so, the nexus website has an EXP mod that allows you to input your own scaling factors for monster kills and quests.

I am having the same problem. It seems most RPGs are like that now-a-days :(
What i do is focus on side quests and do the story missions every now and then so i can progress. seems to work a lil better that way.
And as far as a Mod for dumbing down XP, i may look into that alltho im not really into mods.... Im a purist i suppose.

There is a slower leveling mod on the nexus but it lists its compatibility as 1.04. Also its recommended that you start a new game as well.

Why is this game so easy?

So I just finished Witcher 3, it took me about 40 hours to complete. I tried doing all the side quest and locations but once I hit level 12 everything started becoming very easy. Once I was level 20 there was literally no challenge in the game and I decided to just finish the main story.

I played on Death March from the start and I was expecting a something painfully hard. At first the game was a moderate challenge...

So why is something that is labelled for "insane" players so easy?

1 - The game needs better balancing for skills, mutagens, spells and potions.
All my skills and mutagens were stacked for attack power. With the light Armour skill I got even more damage. I could take 2-3 hits from a boss and would be dead. This would have worked fine but than with a Quen at base level I was unstoppable. To top it off I had alot of potions that could buff my attack even higher. For mobs all I needed was whirlwind so eventually even the hardest thing in the game which were mobs of enemies was a joke as well.

2- The game rewarded to much EXP
If I were to have explored every place on the map and do every quest than there would hae been no challenge even left in the game. I barely did any quest once I left the tutorial map. The main story quest rewarded so much experience that very quickly out leveled other quest and contracts that I had, and doing them at even 2-3 levels higher than recommended made it boring because of how easy it was. It would be nice if quest/monsters scaled to your level to be honest at least than I could still enjoy the game.

3 - The combat AI is retarded
Even when I first started the game (when the game was at it's hardest), it still was not difficult. The reason for this is because the AI was too simple and predictable. You could literally heavy attack a lone human and they would just stand there blocking until they were dead. Or if a group was coming at you just run away and they would stop chasing you. There seemed to be no variety to the moves, the enemies didn't react of what you did. Why not have the blocking human dodge out of the way?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So what do you guys think? Is the game to easy for you? What else would help make this game more difficult that I haven't mentioned?

I suppose for now I will download and use the "Hardcore" mod: http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/139/?
I will only do main quest once I have completed all quest/contract at my level or lower, and explore everything I can before doing any main quest.

My first play-though I looted every container in every house and had 30k gold at the end of the game. Only to find out that there is not much to do with gold or 99% of the stuff I saved. So for my second play-though I am not going to do any "loot-whoring" and will only loot from enemies. No robbing the poor this time around :D

Last edited:
You can also try my Better Combat mod, that removes OP skills and make signs usage more interesting: The game becomes more difficult but yet it is also more interesting to play given you can intermingle attacks with signs much better.
http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/167/?

I suggest you to tie it with a mod that rebalances XP progression, as this one:
http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/178/?

I will add a XP rebalance progression in Better Combat in the future, but for now I first want to finish testing all skills properly.

Last edited:
If REDkit releases anytime soon I'm sure someone will mod Asymmetric Level Scaling --quests/mob scale up (never down)-- this one change will make W3 play more like a modern Skill-Based fighter, and feel less like a dated rpg -- this is where things are headed for the industry generally. It allows a game, and all it's content, to remain relevant and challenging -- it gives an ip staying power as it has much higher replay value.

Another unique and current gen trend -- modding communities synergize with open-source games growing the game and ip well beyond it's vanilla format.

You can also try my Better Combat mod...

I suggest you to tie it with a mod that rebalances XP progression, as this one..
OK cool I saw your mod on the nexus but I'm not sure if I should use your's or Ucrosses. Ucross's mod seems to change more things, like slower health regen during combat while eating food etc, but more changes doesn't necessarily mean better changes. I guess I'll try both your mods and see which one I like better.

Nice didn't realize it was compatible for 1.05 but it is so thanks for that :)

---------- Updated at 01:59 PM ----------

...modding communities synergize with open-source games growing the game and ip well beyond it's vanilla format.

Ya, I love modding. Everyone wins as long as they don't force people to pay for mods, like they were/are? doing with Skyrim. Had 300+ mods centered around a requiem build and it ran perfectly. Wish the combat mechanics weren't hard-coded though.

OK cool I saw your mod on the nexus but I'm not sure if I should use your's or Ucrosses. Ucross's mod seems to change more things, like slower health regen during combat while eating food etc, but more changes doesn't necessarily mean better changes. I guess I'll try both your mods and see which one I like better.

Nice didn't realize it was compatible for 1.05 but it is so thanks for that :)

Well, Ucrosses primary aim is to make the gameplya much more difficult, mine is not necessarily that (it is just a result since if you remove OP skills and balance difficulties then the game will obviously become more challenging). I think the major difference in this approach is that he does everything to make the game more difficult not matter if it then it is enjoyable to play or not (the game becomes more enjoyable only if you like that extreme challenge, not per se), while my first intent is to make the vanilla game more fun to play (hence the changes in sign usage).

It really depends if you search just a much increased challenge or you search a more balanced and varied gameplay.

Last edited:
well this kind happend with many hardcore players like you but still most players don't having that "hardcore" so you got your mod ... and this not freaking darksoul goddamn it !

To a degree you can control how difficult the game is by how you play, The main quest was designed around the idea of being able to finish without having to do any side quests, unfortunately this is the same across all 4 difficulties, so it seems you must choose to either focus on making side quests challenging or making the main campaign challenging.

In addition to experience though the abilities you choose and how you build your character factors a lot into how powerful you will be, any handicap can be overcome via a good build, and Geralt being a bit of a Mary Sue (by necessity of the game) means you can tailor him in a way to handle any situation. I would suggest trying different builds to see what provides more challenge.

Ya, I love modding. Everyone wins as long as they don't force people to pay for mods, like they were/are? doing with Skyrim. Had 300+ mods centered around a requiem build and it ran perfectly. Wish the combat mechanics weren't hard-coded though.

Yeah, I modded skyrim to about 700 mods (100 gigs - extremely stable). The primary mod build was --Skill Based Game Play-- at extreme difficulty. Killing a dragon becomes several hour quest, that wasn't really a quest, but just hands-down the best skill based melee-magic-archery strategic/tactical fighter I've ever played. One-hit-kills are the rule, but edge-of-your seat fun.

Another cool trend over at Star Citizen -- mods are being (will be) incorporated into official game -- modders paid as contractors for their work. So, you buy the game then development pays for inclusion of vetted assets, so mods are free, or packaged into larger expansions.

Hopefully REDkit releases soon, while the game is popular, and interest is high. (Make it all Mod Organizer Compatible, for fast track functionality)

Last edited:
as i have said many times before, we need some sort of upscaling system espeicially for the main quest. The wildhunt riders are dying like rats, two hits and they are dead

Stats system is imbalanced
Too much stacking bonuses (+250% sign power lel), Igni killing cyclops in 2 seconds - mmm
Signs tree is a complete cheat. Dat active quen - mmmm.
That's why.

Last edited:
Another cool trend over at Star Citizen -- mods are being (will be) incorporated into official game -- modders paid as contractors for their work. So, you buy the game then development pays for inclusion of vetted assets, so mods are free, or packaged into larger expansions.

Hopefully REDkit releases soon, while the game is popular, and interest is high. (Make it all Mod Organizer Compatible, for fast track functionality)

Let's not get too excited about Star Citizen yet. It's a kickstarter with the weirdest budget and development team in the history of gaming. I think we'll be lucky if they deliver on at least half of the promises they made. Giving modders a fair wage for their work is one of the promises I just don't buy. Why pay someone when you can change the idea a bit and implement it as your own?

Don't get me wrong, I really hope they are the Jesus of gaming, it just sounds too good to be true...

Last edited:
The beauty of TW3 is that you can gimp yourself by not stacking up signs, wear lower lvl gears, wield lower lvl swords, etc... :)

This is not exactly true. The only thing that really gives more xp than it should is the main quest. Some side quests give 5 xp even at their suggested level. Then you do have some side quests that are kinda tied to the main story or rather, side quests that involve characters important to the main story give at time xp similar to the main quest and that is one of the reasons why you end up overleveling monster contracts etc.
In order for this not to happen xp required to lvl would have to be exponentially higher the higher lvl you were and then calculate much xp in total you need for lvl 35 and divide that xp towards all main and side quests. That would require you to do every single quest in the game to reach what seems to be the current soft lvl cap of 35, which in itself would end up creating problems since some people would complain that the game was too hard because they couldn't get enough xp to keep up with the main quest suggested lvl...
Honestly though, if you do main quests to a certain point then stop and focus on side quests, like let's say when you're at lvl 9-10 in Velen, instead of going to Novigrad right after, what i do is play all/most side quests and monster contracts until i feel like doing the main quest again. It's true i still end up being overleveled for the main quest but that is less of an issue for me than getting most side quests and monster contracts greyed out.

Stats system is imbalanced
Too much stacking bonuses (+250% sign power lel), Igni killing cyclops in 2 seconds - mmm
Signs tree is a complete cheat. Dat active quen - mmmm.
That's why.

All ihe insane damage of Igni comes practically from the burning effect. You remove that possibility (as I've done) and everything is different. The base damage of Igni is 100, even at 250% it becomes 350, hardly game breaking at high level when enemies in DM have a lot of health.
Quen is the least of the signs to nerf. Yrden alternate is "win by itself", Axii puppet the same, Igni burning is 2 sec death. Practically all active signs but Aard are OP. Quen is handy, yes, but against group of enemies it does little.

Last edited:
Top Bottom