Witcher 3 music

+
Music experts, please tell me, is that sopilka used in this track or not?
I think it might fit fot TW3 aswell, but without "hoo-haa" voices. :)

More likely, the Narudo Shippuden music uses the shakuhachi. Both are wooden end-blown flutes of similar range (concert sopilka is in C, standard shakuhachi in D, large shakuhachi in A). The end-blown style has expressive qualities that you can't get with recorders and not even with modern transverse flutes.

Well Marcin said it's a sopilka, so it's a sopilka. :p

I apologize for creating confusion. That wasn't what I was referring to, unless Marcin's statement was about the musicians who worked on Naruto Shippuden, and I don't read it that way. Others say the flute in Naruto Shippuden is the shakuhachi, and the wide bends and slurs are characteristic of shakuhachi playing.

Last edited:
I apologize for creating confusion. That wasn't what I was referring to, unless Marcin's statement was about the musicians who worked on Naruto Shippuden. Others say the flute in Narudo Shippuden is the shakuhachi.
Oh, I apologise, didn't see Валькирия added the video. I swear it wasn't there before, must have missed it. So I thought the discussion was still about the instrument in the conference trailer.

hey,what are Percival's songs actually about? I know that they are mostly slavic theme but what is the most common meaning of their lyrics (or what they sing most of the times about)?

Mostly slavic mythology - gods, legends etc., there was something about drowners as well... Some of the lyrics are not even polish, but russian or a mix between the two. Most of the lyrics are not very complex, looks like they want the words to sound well rather to mean much.

Is it bad to say I prefer the sound of the fully mixed & edited version that plays during the Trailer? I feel like I'm being mean to Percival for saying that :p

Oh, sure the edited thing is way better. And I think Marcin's editing gives it a lot of power.

BTW, most of the musical material in the trailers (if not all) comes from Percival's albums, not CDPR sessions. In a polish interview they said that they allowed CDPR to use all of their vocals from the previous albums. I wonder if it's also true for the instrumentals (they haven't stated it). If so (and Marcin's posts imply it), it might mean that a big part of TW3 soundtrack is already available for us in pre-prod state. Digging into Percival's discography might be worth our while. :)

Mostly slavic mythology - gods, legends etc., there was something about drowners as well... Some of the lyrics are not even polish, but russian or a mix between the two. Most of the lyrics are not very complex, looks like they want the words to sound well rather to mean much.

I would rather say it's being loyal to their sources. Songs like Percival's "Pasla" or Arkona's "Oy da ne vecher" are folk songs, and they have been passed down orally for many generations (until they reach moderns who are more comfortable with preserving them by writing them out).

They're often about the concerns of ordinary people. Sometimes very, very ordinary. The dramatic "Oj te Petre, Petre" that opens TW2 is a lament sung by a girl who has been grounded by her parents for two-timing her boyfriend.

Oh, sure the edited thing is way better. And I think Marcin's editing gives it a lot of power.
Thanks guys!

BTW, most of the musical material in the trailers (if not all) comes from Percival's albums, not CDPR sessions. In a polish interview they said that they allowed CDPR to use all of their vocals from the previous albums. I wonder if it's also true for the instrumentals (they haven't stated it). If so (and Marcin's posts imply it), it might mean that a big part of TW3 soundtrack is already available for us in pre-prod state. Digging into Percival's discography might be worth our while. :)
Our deal with Percival states we can use whatever we want in any way we see it fit the game, and that applies also to instrumental stuff they did. Besides that we had two recording sessions (10 days total!) with the band, so there's a lot of exclusive, new material coming. You could treat Percival's albums - as you described - as prepro-stage of our soundtrack, but that's not entirely true. Sometimes we use only bits of Percival with our music, sometimes the only part from their cd's is the overal vibe and inspiration. And sometimes we use full pieces and we rearrange, reprocuce, recompose them etc. It all depends on how it'l serve the game.

@Marcin Przybyłowicz Have to say that the fact that you take the time to reply to us regarding different issues or questions that we have regarding the soundtrack, means a lot to us. Especially since over the years the forums have gotten somewhat of a bad reputation among the devs, and I can't blame them, we're very nitpicky. But that's only because we love you guys, and what you do, so much. :)

So once again, thank you for doing this. :hatsoff:

Listening to the GOG preorder soundtrack. Man, I keep getting chills. Not only great music, but also genuine. @Marcin Przybyłowicz : thank you for your work, I'm very pleased with what I'm hearing. And please kindly pass my compliments to the guys from Percival, as they did just as great a job. Hats off :):hatsoff:

Last edited:
Ah yea I've had these for a few hours, someone had a dropbox with em, forgot to come link it here.

Absolutely ADORING the Music. It's honestly hard to believe that I spent from like just after E3 when it was announced Adam Skorupa was not coming back, all the way till we finally got those little snippets from Marcin, being worried & skeptical about the Music for the game. I should have trusted CDPR, I feel like a fool.

I want to just hear it all now, but simultaneously I don't because hearing the rest for the first time in-game I know will just be magical. Keep up the good work @Marcin Przybyłowicz (And the rest of the Music/Sound guys), I can't wait to enjoy all of this in-game.

God damn 8 months till release :sad:

Yep, you get these for pre-ordering on gog. I really like Hunt or be Hunted, The Fields of Ard Skellig is pretty good too, the rest are okay.

Top Bottom