Witcher 3 News [LINKS & DISCUSSION]

+
1: The sword broke during the fight, it already did super-low damage before it broke

2: It also never took Geralt 50+ hits to kill somebody else

Why do people have so much trouble understanding the concept of balance? You seem to be so deep in the mindset of the extremes of rpgs where you are either a kitten or a god. Have you never played Dark Souls? That's a game with character-progression that provides a consistent challenge through-out.

I think it must be a pet peeve of mine, but I really hate when people compare Dark Souls to an RPG.

Dark Souls was action hack'n/slash roguelike with some progression and the most minimal story continuity possible.

That's besides the point. The point is that people get what you are saying, but nobody else who has watched that fight seems to think the balance is particularly off. A little better preparation, a little better armor/weaponry, a different approach and not presenting your back to the enemy. All of these things would have made taking on an enemy 33% of Geralt's own level higher than him, very very doable. Seems balanced.

Why do You have so much trouble understanding the concept of balance in vast open world game without scaling? The world really isn't open in Dark Souls, so You clearly missed the point here.

I think it must be a pet peeve of mine, but I really hate when people compare Dark Souls to an RPG.

Dark Souls was action hack'n/slash roguelike with some progression and the most minimal story continuity possible.

That's besides the point. The point is that people get what you are saying, but nobody else who has watched that fight seems to think the balance is particularly off. A little better preparation, a little better armor/weaponry, a different approach and not presenting your back to the enemy. All of these things would have made taking on an enemy 33% of Geralt's own level higher than him, very very doable. Seems balanced.

I'm not really thinking of it as just this one fight in general, I'm sure I could take that guy without taking any damage at all. But think if later in the game you meet "random limp-wristed thug with a stick" and he will take 15 minutes to cut down because he has a ridiculous amount of health due to him being 10-15 levels higher than Geralt. Wouldn't surprise me if you will end up in situations where you will break 3-4 swords during a single fight if you decide to go up against higher level enemies. As I write this I realize that some of you live for this shit, whereas I think it's a boring way of implementing challenge.

I guess I can only hope that the game will stay balanced if I do stuff in a specific order, and that I can nerf myself by equipping low level gear later on. But I really think that I shouldn't NEED to do that. The game isn't truly open-world if the level requirements/recommendations are too strict.

Why do You have so much trouble understanding the concept of balance in vast open world game without scaling? The world really isn't open in Dark Souls, so You clearly missed the point here.

Dark Souls is semi-openworld, from the beginning you can choose to go to undead burg as is recommended, or you could go directly to Blighttown, New Londo, The Catacombs which lead to Tomb Of Giants

But yeah, my point was more about the balance of the combat throughout the game, even though the example wasn't really the best. It really comes down to the fact that there are more examples of RPGs that do the same mistakes(in my opinion) regarding balance that is directly related to the significance of levels.

Last edited:
As I write this I realize that some of you live for this shit, whereas I think it's a boring way of implementing challenge..

Let's be clear, I absolutely /HATE/ bullet sponge game design.

But over the course of my researching TW3, none of the information/footage/etc that I've come across leads me to believe that this will be a significant problem in any fashion unless getting into the ring well above your weight class.

And I really hope I find some nice high level human enemies around. I don't know about you, but 1-shotting every bandit after about level 20 sounds like I would very quickly cease getting any fulfillment from the combat. YMMV

Wouldn't surprise me if you will end up in situations where you will break 3-4 swords during a single fight if you decide to go up against higher level enemies.

Ok, now You convinced me that You are a troll. Do You really believe that he borok his sword coz he need to hit enemies 10-15 times? That was a simple contingency that Geralt used his sword in that particular moment and enemy level had nothing to do with that. I doubt that CDP make a game with vast open world and they force a players to visit smith everytime You killed 3-4 monsters. Each additional argument which you give to us is more ridiculous than the previous one.

Just 3 more weeks! I CAN DO IT! AAAAHHHH!!! :shock::rant::baby: feelings.. you know.
But I still wonder when I can start to pre-download the Witcher 3 from GOG with my super slow fast Internet.

Last edited:
Let's be clear, I absolutely /HATE/ bullet sponge game design.

But over the course of my researching TW3, none of the information/footage/etc that I've come across leads me to believe that this will be a significant problem in any fashion unless getting into the ring well above your weight class.

And I really hope I find some nice high level human enemies around. I don't know about you, but 1-shotting every bandit after about level 20 sounds like I would very quickly cease getting any fulfillment from the combat. YMMV

Exactly my point, if levels were less significant, you wouldn't be able to faceroll enemies at any point, you would get killed by a random thug if you didn't even try. THAT'S what I want.

@Percival_Dickenbutts I'm not sure what you were expecting. from very early footage we knew that enemy levels are important enough to be visible at all times above the heads of the npcs. there is not much point in having levels if they barely mean anything. if I see very clear levels in a game, then fighting something a few levels above me being a bit of a challenge and way above me being almost impossible doesn't seem too much of a stretch.

Exactly my point, if levels were less significant, you wouldn't be able to faceroll enemies at any point, you would get killed by a random thug if you didn't even try. THAT'S what I want.

Then mod the game. But from a game design perpective, where players are going to gain 50 levels over the course of possibly 200+ hours of content, then levels had damn well feel pretty significant and important.

Doesn't his arm get tired of holding his sword constantly on a 40 degree angle while galopin.. :p

Edit: this truly was sarcasm, although can't deny noticing
I should also add that I didn't mean to upset anyone.

Last edited:
Does your brain hurts cause of overthinking stupid stuff in video game? Who cares that it would hurt irl, that's a GAME

Pretty sure their comment was meant to be sarcasm to lighten the mood after tempers got flared from subjective viewpoints on 'balance' by a lot of people who haven't played the game. ;)

With a sword it doesn't really matter all that much. The bulk of the weight is in the hilt and pommel, and the sword balances only a few inches ahead of the cross guard.

It would be similar to holding a 1.5kg 'bar' around a foot long at around the 1/3rd point. Nothing terribly strenuous about that and I'm no hulk.

Damn he is making a part 3? I can't believe how much effort he put in this. He even showed the main menu which was quite nice and explained the skilling system in detail. So far my favourite TW3 series. After that the one from RocketbeansTV. Then the others.

Top Bottom