Witcher senses and your opinion, possible down(up)grade of them

+
@Jupiter on Mars
Oh I do agree & that's why I said it's not something that I expect nor do I think will be in TW3.

I can see very interesting & practical uses for Witcher Senses... I can even see situations where it being forced could actually be a very cool thing (Like they described how the Fiend blinds you, activating senses to see its tracks as it runs back to its lair would be awesome), but I just fear utter over-use. I fear it being used for everything, every quest even if it makes no sense.
I can just see the 'follow the red' being used for everything & to me that would become really uninteresting very quickly.

Benefits should come at a cost, great benefits at a greater cost. Therefore, to level and balance things out, using such an advantageous feature as the Witcher Senses should further expose you to danger. It might put breaks on abuse. It would also open up gameplay opportunities. What about the idea don't you fancy?

i an not arguing whit the fact that there should be a cost but it should be a realistic one like it uses up your stamina. Realisticly why should wearing armour stop him from using his sight and hearing its not like he wears a helmet for fucksake, explain your logic becouse i don't follow.
same with atracting wildlife, it's not like this is HunterXhunter and you use En to scan the world and animals can sense that, if you are in the woods and you look around its not like there is a bear 1 mile away thinking " i can sense a human looking throw the woods"
@blackgriffin

For me I would much prefer Dijkstra to say, "Johnny is in the Swamp. Enter it from the south, head north until you pass a destroyed carriage & his burrow is in that area" (Or have a Journal which states that after you talk to him). That gives me a much better idea of where to go but without just activating a sense mode & following the 'Red' or putting a GPS marker where the Exclamation Mark is. Of course that's just simply not going to happen & I'm not asking for TW3 to do that. I just hope that we don't end up with situations where the dialogue or quest doesn't give us enough information & we end up completely lost without following an exclamation mark or being forced to activate Witcher Senses.
Optional continues to be the key word.

that would be a way to do it but come on, who do you think would give you the exact location to a monster or the godlings lair, Dijksta said he was in the swamp, that's good enough

Jupiter_on_Mars

i an not arguing whit the fact that there should be a cost but it should be a realistic one like it uses up your stamina. Realisticly why should wearing armour stop him from using his sight and hearing its not like he wears a helmet for fucksake, explain your logic becouse i don't follow.

Bear in in mind I'm not versed in the lore. But Witcher Senses seem a quasi-mystical ability which a mass of metal would plausibly interfere with. In the same way, animals are said to be sensitive to regions of the spectrum humans are numb to and so it doesn't take too big a stretch of imagination to suppose wild predators would pick on its use and track Geralt down.

Bear in in mind I'm not versed in the lore. But Witcher Senses seem a quasi-mystical ability which a mass of metal would plausibly interfere with. In the same way, animals are said to be sensitive to regions of the spectrum humans are numb to and so it doesn't take too big a stretch of imagination to suppose wild predators would pick on its use and track Geralt down.

but it is just sight and hearing.....the same way he can see in the dark...it doesn't recquire magic or something special, it is a sideeffect from the trials

Jupiter_on_Mars

but it is just sight and hearing.....the same way he can see in the dark...it doesn't recquire magic or something special, it is a sideeffect from the trials

To me, seeing red blots that aren't exactly there doesn't seem like mere heightened visual acuity, it seems more like a mystical ability, though from a lore standpoint it might very well be. Anyway, I also like the idea of stamina depletion, so there you go.

Last edited:
that would be a way to do it but come on, who do you think would give you the exact location to a monster or the godlings lair, Dijksta said he was in the swamp, that's good enough

Who knows how damn massive this swamp might be? If I'm trying to not use Witcher Senses, "He's in the swamp" doesn't really give me much to go on & you could end up spending forever traversing the swamp trying to find Johnny. If that happened & the game had many, many other moments like it, that would feel like the game is trying to force me to use the Senses or the precise map markers.

Of course this is another time where I realize I don't know the full context & could just be an over-exaggeration. I guess I'm just making up a scenario where it could happen & I'm worried about that scenario.

To me, seeing red blots that aren't exactly there doesn't seem like mere heightened visual acuity, it seems more like a mystical ability, though from a lore standpoint it is. Anyway, I also like the idea of stamina depletion, so there you go.

you do know that the over the top visual effects are for us and not what he would actualy see...there isn't a very good way to make it look natural it's not like they could insert a magnafying glass so you could examin the footprints

I don't know if you guys played Dead Space, but there was a feature that showed you a holographic line and arrow on the floor, which direction you should go in. It made me completely lazy and i didn't use the map at all. There was no challenge in orienting myself. A pity, since i never got lost, and getting lost is one of the essential things immersion-wise, to make you feel you are indeed in this vast world and everything can happen.

I fear that the witcher sense could have a similar effect. I would like to have a choice to tone it down.

@jjensson
God that reminds me of Watch Dogs. Not only did they have the GPS Map showing you where to go, but then they put the fucking blue arrows all over the road.
First time I saw that I wanted to just immediately ALT F4 out of the game. Like shit, I know it's Ubisoft, but I couldn't believe they think the people playing their games are THAT fucking pathetic. I felt insulted...

I don't think CDPR will ever treat their players with that level of disdain, but I still just get an overall weird vibe from Witcher Senses & how it could turn out.

I don't really care otherwise, but I think it should be something you (can) upgrade upon level up and something that isn't infallible; a perception stat for example (clearer tracks to follow the more there us investment on the skill/stat).

There should also be a possibility for Geralts focus to be distracted based on low "skill" level, toxicity, other tracks/sounds, random interference (could be interpreted as something like a bee getting too close to G's eye or something similiar) - a diceroll check towards whether ir not G can stay undistracted. If the check fails, G needs to backtrack to find the lost tracks again.

Stuff like that. So that it is not a "for granted" busywork gimmick, but something to actually pay attention to.

I trust cdpr knows what and why they are doing it like this, I think it is going to be way better and more fun in game.
I think the bright red blood haze effect is good for tracking and I even like the sonar sonic sound effects that give clues.
It will make us feel more like Geralt the witcher in the game, so my only worrie is the graphics of the cliffs for the climbing parts?
I don't want every cliff that I can climb to look the same every time & everywhere in the world. I'm saying they should not have the same marking details as every other cliff I can climb in the world. i.e TW2 had these same looking cliffs to climb each time and I would really like it if someone would take the time and make each one more natural and different from the last. I will under stand if they have to be the same shape & size for Geralt's gameplay climbing animations and so we kinda know what
to look for when it comes to climbing in the world. I think it would be great if they changed up the small little details a bit. i.e Like put a natural looking chip on one side and do it on another side on another cliff some other place in the world etc..etc.. Or maybe tweak the surface graphics for each one just enough so that I don't feel like I'm climbing the same damn pre-renderd cliff everywhere in the world lol.. Does anyone else get what I'm talking about here?!?! ;)

Last edited:
Right now it doesn't seem any different from from Batman's detective mode. Although I like the idea of better hearing while using it, that becomes useless when you have the red path painted before you.

I just hope that Witcher senses won't take away all of the "detective work" from us. I want to be able to use my brain and figure things out. There could even be some intelligent monsters that try to trick you with their tracks, say by walking backwards, or losing their footprints when they step in a stream of water and follow it down. Maybe they loop they're tracks around and attack you from behind, or lead you into an ambush. I don't know, there's probably lots of interesting things they could do with witcher senses.

I don't want every cliff that I can climb to look the same every time & everywhere in the world. I'm saying they should not have the same marking details as every other cliff I can climb in the world. i.e TW2 had these same looking cliffs to climb each time

I hear ya, buddy. It felt quite arcadey or consolish, for the lack of a better term. But frankly, this wouldn't be very high on my personal priority list. It's like you're watching Star Wars Episode 4, and you just don't see the cheap props or notice the old-school-cinema-naivities :p It's idealized on the fly in your head.

Yeah please downgrade it.

Make it less "in your face" and only mark monster tracks and noises, not objects.

What I want is not big red tracks but fine outlines of tracks so you can see them good but they are not in your face.
And I want them to be not so close together making the tracks harder to follow.
Some crossing tracks of another monster might also help to make it more challenging and interesting to follow the tracks.

Thanks for bringing this thread up. I don't quite like the invasive motion blur & red patches. If they can tone down the blurring & change the red to light yellow or just tone down the red

Is detective-like monster hunting still a thing?

One of the things that has greatly intrigued me about TW3 was the way the Monster Hunting and combat systems seemed integrated. I remember reading articles where there was mention of using "witcher sense" to find environmental clues (bite marks, damage pattern, foot prints, fur, etc.) to detirmine what kind of monster we were up against, then some level of research or using our journal to discover the monster's attacks or weaknesses (what kinds of signs to use, what oils, what it's weak spots are, etc.) so that we could prepare before engaging the monster. I believe this was also kind of integrated with the combat system in terms of striking weak points, such as piercing both of a vampire's hearts with a single blow. The whole system struck me as pretty awesome. I really like the idea of having to prepare and research prior to engaging a monster and it sits well with my vision of Geralt.

We saw just a hint of this in the E3 footage (tracking the griffin's blood with the witcher sense, taking a few potions before combat), but haven't seen much of the journal or research component. I recall that the "VATS-like" combat may have gone the way of the dodo (not sure if this is true or whether they replaced it with something to accomplish a similar goal?) and am wondering if the reasearching component of monster hunting maybe went with it? I realize that poking through a journal or going to find monster tomes at a vendor probably doesn't make "stunning E3 gameplay footage," but am really looking forward to this aspect of the game so I thought I'd throw it out there and see if anyone else has seen more info on the topic.

Thanks.

If you think the Witcher sense is too much hand holding... don't use it?

I don't know if there will be things that require it, but since we're reacting to what we've seen in the videos there is nothing in them to suggest that you ever need it. It looks a lot like an evolved version of the medallion in W2, which was also completely optional.

Top Bottom