Yennefer of Vengerberg (all spoilers) - The Revival

+
I'm going to commit a bit of heresy and disagree here.

No problem at all, disagreement is the path to discuss and reach as closest as possible from the truth about something. Unfortunatelly I didnt read the books yet so I can't talk properly about them, I will use some points that I already know from them but mainly I'm based in the games to discuss their relatioship. Though the lads here already answered you in a way that I can't yet cause my lack of knoledge, I'll still give you my opinion as you quote me.

At Thanedd Yen still doesn't trust Geralt enough to share her thoughts and plans with him. When Geralt asks about Ciri's future, Yen's response is essentially "none of your business, now make love to me again." Geralt, meanwhile, is constantly hiding his thoughts from Yen, afraid that he will trigger another fight and ruin everything. In the aftermath of Thanedd, Geralt is perfectly willing to believe that Yen has betrayed him. As for Yen, she sees no point in working with or finding Geralt:
"He will achieve nothing. I know him. He’ll get caught up, lost in his own philosophizing, and wallow in self pity. He’ll vent his anger and hack at anyone and anything he comes across. Then, in expiation, he’ll do some grand, but pointless deed. In the end, he’ll be slain, stupidly and needlessly, most likely by a stab in the back.’

This is exactly why they complete each other, Yen knows Geralt's weaknesses and she knows the situations that he is not the best person to deal.Tho he is a Wicther he has his morals and willing to do good always so she's right when she says they're pointless sometimes, because they are. They will get between his goals and he will run the risk of being stabbed in the back sometimes because that world is not a fairytale, pretty much on the contrary. That shows not just how much she knows him but also how they complete each other, while Yen's past was hard on her when she was a child and she was taught be racional, strong and cold Geralt is emotive and put his feelings as top priority sometimes. Yen sees the world as a pretty bad place filled with bad people, all she was taught is to be powerful, independent and never look weak again otherwise people will get over her without a pity. That's why she tries to go as she was taught to, while Geralt feels more empathy which can be seen as irrational sometimes because it could get him to nowhere or even worst, to a grave by someone he trusts. And a fact is that she is more mature and smarter than him, so she got a point. At the same time, it's slightly putted how she cares about him, If she doesn't want to involve him in a situation he could get in danger cause of what I just mentioned she is protecting him. You see, depends on how look. You can say that it's because she don't trust him which is proved to be wrong in other situations ahead, or because she cares about him. If he is not going to help what is the point in risk his life anyway?

At Thanedd Yen still doesn't trust Geralt enough to share her thoughts and plans with him. When Geralt asks about Ciri's future, Yen's response is essentially "none of your business, now make love to me again."

As I said before, their relationship is not perfect becasue Geralt and Yen are not too. Yennefer got many reasons to not fully trust Gealt yet because remeber what she went through and what she was taught to do, that makes complete sense at that point. About Ciri that is because maybe she knows what's best for Ciri, better than Geralt. She cares and want what's best for her so this also makes sense to me. A mother will say that to a father many times and that doesn't mean she don't trust her man, as I said Yen is more mature and smarter than him so she probably have some advantage on that matter. About Ciri going through the mutations and rituals to became a witcher, what Geralt did btw? I sincerely don't know, all I know is that Triss intervened and prevented her pass trought all that.

Geralt, meanwhile, is constantly hiding his thoughts from Yen, afraid that he will trigger another fight and ruin everything.

That shows how much he cares about her and don't want to lose a person he holds dear, this is also a reasonable behaviour after all they went.

But I think the point here is my analogy, that's what made you contest what I've said. It was an analogy after all, it is not meant to be perfect. Mister White also has an interesting one:

I usually use the Ciri was the bridge across a river. Geralt and Yen were both on either side looking at each other and then Ciri built the bridge that brought them together.

But back to mine, they are broken plates and can be sharp sometimes if you are not carefull. In my opinion they are sharp because life broke them both and made them like that, when I say broke I'm not saying they are bad they are just people who went through tough times in the begining of their lifes and they survived becoming stronger and putting their peaces together, so it means if you are not under their skin you will think they are always sharp, even to themselves like happened with Yen's depression, when the are actually completing and being the counter weight I talked about. Otherwise, how after all that their love and interest remains the same? Love is something that get stronger by the time and by the situations he goes through, that is why I said their relationship is incredibly written and portrayed, because it evolves during the whole books and the games, if you consider so. Ciri is the glue, the element that brings and hold them together and makes the equation complete to form a true family.

Anyway it is not a fairytale love story and that is why is amazing.

@The.GreyMatter I want to respond to that but im to damn lazy.

Nevertheless i agree with you, it's great that Yen and Geralt we're arguing and bickering all the time but it just lasted. Even when they break up, they always return. It's a special relationship and they really are made for each other, despite all their differences.

New Witcher Comic will have Yennefer in it (not sure if she will be the romance option for Geralt)

From Reddit:
"To answer some of the questions the story takes place after w3 - in our minds Ciri has become a Witcher and is traveling with Geralt so you can say it is "canon" but we had to make a choice to tell the story. If your Ciri is gone or she is with Emhyr that is stil valid - SPOILER you will see Yen but no Triss"

New Witcher Comic will have Yennefer in it (not sure if she will be the romance option for Geralt)

From Reddit:
"To answer some of the questions the story takes place after w3 - in our minds Ciri has become a Witcher and is traveling with Geralt so you can say it is "canon" but we had to make a choice to tell the story. If your Ciri is gone or she is with Emhyr that is stil valid - SPOILER you will see Yen but no Triss"

Good, don't want to see Triss had enough of her :p

Also, so it takes place after the main ending but before blood and wine? So Geralt/Yen haven't retired together yet. Interesting.

"To answer some of the questions the story takes place after w3 - in our minds Ciri has become a Witcher and is traveling with Geralt so you can say it is "canon" but we had to make a choice to tell the story. If your Ciri is gone or she is with Emhyr that is stil valid

It may be "canon" to the comic in the same way siding with Iorveth and freeing Saskia is to the Saskia comic that is included with Hearts of Stone. But that does not imply that it would also be canon to future Witcher games (assuming any are made in the first place), just like those Iorveth and Saskia choices in TW2 were not made canon to TW3.

"SPOILER you will see Yen but no Triss"

Should be OK if she appears only as "dear friend" (like it is the default for Blood and Wine if started separately). :p

Last edited:
It may be "canon" to the comic in the same way siding with Iorveth and freeing Saskia is to the Saskia comic that is included with Hearts of Stone. But that does not imply that it would also be canon to future Witcher games (assuming any are made in the first place), just like those Iorveth and Saskia choices in TW2 were not made canon to TW3.

stop getting tilted. Canon

I know that, the Reddit comment said that the two other endings regarding Ciri are still valid. In order to create the story for the comic they chose Ciri becoming a witcher.

Why are people so obsessed with Canon...it's fiction..believe what you will.

Telling that something is canon without having evidence of that really being the case is wrong, and a comic is indeed no evidence of what is canon in games, as already shown above with the example of the Saskia comic. And the poster you replied to seems to really want to shove his "canon" down everyone's throat (including in threads where it is off-topic, like this one). Anyway, it is in the Reddit post itself that all endings are still valid and that the specific choice of Ciri becoming a witcher is only for the comic.

New Witcher Comic will have Yennefer in it

[...]

SPOILER you will see Yen but no Triss"

oh my gosh, so it's gonna be petition time again... :p

Back in topic: I cherish the idea of a comic featuring Yennefer, problem is comics characters don't have a voice so there'll be no Denise Gough around.
What am I gonna do? I'll have to imagine her talking in my head.

(That'll probably be the first step towards full-blown insanity)

(That'll probably be the first step towards full-blown insanity)

Bro im long past that now. What is real life?

I wouldn't want to change that Whitey...

Yeah me neither! Geralt and Yen is fucking amazing, why would anyone disagree with this or want to change it, such a great relationship. Like somebody said before, "why can't people just admit the sky is blue" :)

Last edited:
did you ever notice Yen fighting with Witchers against The Wild Hunt during the Prologue? :)

Just a couple of days ago I took the loan from Vimme Vivaldi for the first time ever (he gives us whole 100 crowns, yay!), but guess who declared herself to be Geralt's guarantor...

I must say I never choose that option. I don't need doing that but ok I think I miss somethingXD

Top Bottom