Top streamer and caster M0gwai quits the game until it's fixed

+
Here's the thing ..

For being a personality in Gwent. His actions were uncalled for.

Gwent has been in similar situations before ...anyone remember weather spam..or how about bears..or even axemen back in the day..and he stuck around

To flat out say "fu** this game" is a low blow to the community that pretty much only has followed him because of Gwent

I hope cdpr cuts ties with him

Last edited:
TheShift;n10343842 said:
To flat out say "fu** this game" is a low blow to the community that pretty much only has followed him because of Gwent

Sorry, the state of the game right now is a blow to the community. Why do you criticize people for not having fun playing gwent? A lot of other popular streamers (and a lot of players in general) have the same opinion.

TheShift;n10343842 said:
Here's the thing ..

For being a personality in Gwent. His actions were uncalled for.

Gwent has been in similar situations before ...anyone remember weather spam..or how about bears..or even axemen back in the day..and he stuck around

I hope cdpr cuts ties with him

I think that Gwent has never been in a worse situation, other than the play-weather-last-win situation in the CB. The difference being that it was CB and people were hopeful, whereas now that hope is somewhat diminished. The last few patches were all over the place, with no explanations. So players feel lost.

And I'm glad mogwai spoke up, though I don't know how genuine it was. He was defending the patch for months, only to give up now. Whatever it is, people like him should be critical of the game they represent, instead of being yesmen. So good on him for this.

Snake_Foxhounder;n10345492 said:
I think that Gwent has never been in a worse situation, other than the play-weather-last-win situation in the CB. The difference being that it was CB and people were hopeful, whereas now that hope is somewhat diminished. The last few patches were all over the place, with no explanations. So players feel lost.

And I'm glad mogwai spoke up, though I don't know how genuine it was. He was defending the patch for months, only to give up now. Whatever it is, people like him should be critical of the game they represent, instead of being yesmen. So good on him for this.

I'm not sure I agree with it never being in a worse situation, just that dorfs is the worst deck to play against. I think people are making the most noise about it, though I'm not entirely sure why.

What confuses me about the level of backlash, though, is that last patch - literally two months ago - was in a good state. This isn't NEW. We've had hideously overpowered decks and metas even staler than this one. Yet now people are regularly calling this the game's deathknell, even though every other time this has happened CDPR fixed it before too long.

I'm confused about where people's overly optimistic expectations were even coming from. Gwent's had a rocky path from day one with very uneven patches and wildly OP decks at almost every turn. As horrible as dorfs are, I can't quantifiably say its worse than the hideous days when spellatael was close to unstoppable, or when axemen was top deck material.

I can absolutely understand streamers giving the game a break, I just don't get the excessive negativity. We're just in another downcycle. If the next patch comes and doesn't fix anything then sure, we're in trouble. But people are acting like the patch must fix absolutely everything in one go or it's doom. People seem to want the game to fail now.

Last edited:
I fully understand him as i've done the same 3 months ago after playing more than 3000 games since later october 2016.

And i keep saying this: Gwent was way more fun for me during the CB than in this pseudo-openbeta.

BornBoring;n10344642 said:
Sorry, the state of the game right now is a blow to the community. Why do you criticize people for not having fun playing gwent? A lot of other popular streamers (and a lot of players in general) have the same opinion.

I guess im not suppose to have my own opinion,is that the thing now?
Everyone jump on the hate bandwagon cuz that's the cool thing to do.
I for one find Gwent still to be fun after all this time.
Reguardless of what deck is op atm.
We've been through this many times before.

​​​​​​I have had my doubts about the reds in the past and even now.and a lot of people(streamers) and others can voice what they think needs to be done to the game and that's perfectly fine.
Doesn't make you a "yes man" because someone talks positive about the game,or trys to see the better side of the negative.
That's what is wrong in today's world online society

At this point the game itself is in an overall better state imo. The last patch with the 100 plus cards added..yes threw the game into a wild wild west scenerio but that was to be expected

Every patch since day 1 there has been a couple of decks that rise to the top of the food chain..it's probably going to keep going that way for sometime.And all of these so called streamers know this.So to just bash the game is uncalled for,its nothing new.

In my own opinion CDPR has done a fantastic job at keeping me entertained.Most games nowadays only keep my attention a couple months..then I could care less if I ever played it again...but not Gwent.I have played this game for what seems like forever,through thick and thin,and I still enjoy it every time I play

CDPR imho... has only made 1 big mistake with Gwent.
One that can't never be patched or fixed.
And that was throwing Gwent into a competitive esport game when it clearly was not ready.
And I get it..they were hyped and wanted to get it out there..I totally get it.But they jumped the gun.

Because now you get all the try hards in the mix voicing opinions on a game that still identifies as a Beta.
In which has caused the most drama in the last few months more than it has in the last year and a half

But I digress...

The game has more to it now than before.Im looking forward to the next few months and what it brings.

iamthedave;n10345662 said:
I'm not sure I agree with it never being in a worse situation, just that dorfs is the worst deck to play against. I think people are making the most noise about it, though I'm not entirely sure why.

What confuses me about the level of backlash, though, is that last patch - literally two months ago - was in a good state. This isn't NEW. We've had hideously overpowered decks and metas even staler than this one. Yet now people are regularly calling this the game's deathknell, even though every other time this has happened CDPR fixed it before too long.

I'm confused about where people's overly optimistic expectations were even coming from. Gwent's had a rocky path from day one with very uneven patches and wildly OP decks at almost every turn. As horrible as dorfs are, I can't quantifiably say its worse than the hideous days when spellatael was close to unstoppable, or when axemen was top deck material.

I can absolutely understand streamers giving the game a break, I just don't get the excessive negativity. We're just in another downcycle. If the next patch comes and doesn't fix anything then sure, we're in trouble. But people are acting like the patch must fix absolutely everything in one go or it's doom. People seem to want the game to fail now.

It's not just about balance. Though I disagree about his take about carryover, this video explains one big problem of gwent at the moment pretty well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKPiM-HoY9w

Other things many people annoy: create cards, meaningless rows, the new design and animations, the lore purge, their inability to fix the coinflip, loss of faction identity....

Last edited:
TheShift;n10345882 said:
... Everyone jump on the hate bandwagon cuz that's the cool thing to do...
Err, no, everyone jumps on the "hate" bandwagon cause the game got broke something fierce, after it was well balanced between all the faction and most of their archetypes. No we have at most 1 viable archetype per faction, excluding NG, and everything else is a sad filler.

TheShift;n10345882 said:
... At this point the game itself is in an overall better state imo...
When you have a DECK that occupies over 60% of the ladder, you just can't even think of saying that "the game itself is in an overall better state".

TheShift;n10345882 said:
... Every patch since day 1 there has been a couple of decks that rise to the top of the food chain...
Again - couple of decks, yes, but ONE with such a huge advantage over the others, which comes after year and a half of development and haven't been addressed in a bit for near two months now? Please.

I appreciate you trying to defend CDPR, people tend to be kinda harsh lately, but it is for a good reason. Cause the game got BROKE and everybody can see it. Like, I use Gwentify for checking for decks and what card to craft (when I was a new player). This site is on the brink of death right now - there is almost no activity there, no "new" deck posted. You'll get one once in a week nowadays and two months ago there was at least a deck per day posted there.

How will you excuse that?

partci;n10346212 said:
When you have a DECK that occupies over 60% of the ladder, you just can't even think of saying that "the game itself is in an overall better state".

Again - couple of decks, yes, but ONE with such a huge advantage over the others, which comes after year and a half of development and haven't been addressed in a bit for near two months now? Please.

And what DECK is that, I wonder? Wanna post a list here? Or do you just mean ALL decks that include a skirmisher and Paulie? And where are these ladder stats coming from? Personally, I don't feel like I'm playing against SC over 60 percent of the time, much less DWARF decks. But since we're all exaggerating, I still remember metas when 75%(!!) "percent of ladder" was made up of NG and the other 75%(!!!) of Swim's Potion Abuse list. Both of which were LESS counterable than various dwarf iterations are now.

Even Ithlinne, as crazy as she is now, is just about as bad as Coral used to be back in the day in terms of raw point swings. Got fixed, got better, no the end of the world

"I guess im not suppose to have my own opinion,is that the thing now?"

That's ridiciulous. Everyone can think what he wants about the game, but you're the one, who is critizing other people for saying their opinion. Did you even notice that?

i don't blame him at all. something has to change. i mean, this game wanted and still wants to be a serious competition for Hearthstone right? and this current state of the game maybe doesnt seem like a big deal for someone playing for fun in casuals, but people like Mogwai do stream this game only on daily basis, dozens of hours a week. say what you want about HS, but the technical support was always on point, while in gwent despite all the shit from the community, still no balance patch, nothing and its been more than a month now !!! no wonder the stramers getting tired of it. we need balance patches on weekly basis, we need more contact with the devs, we need proofs somethings actually happening. maybe cdpr slowly giving up on this game, but i seriously doubt it considering how much effort they put into the tournaments and stuff.

partci;n10346212 said:

I appreciate you trying to defend CDPR, people tend to be kinda harsh lately, but it is for a good reason. Cause the game got BROKE and everybody can see it. Like, I use Gwentify for checking for decks and what card to craft (when I was a new player). This site is on the brink of death right now - there is almost no activity there, no "new" deck posted. You'll get one once in a week nowadays and two months ago there was at least a deck per day posted there.

How will you excuse that?

http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/s...Evolution.html

A quote from that article: "With Affinity making up around 30% of Day 2 during Grand Prix: New Jersey, seeing the deck comprise 62.5% of the top 8 is a bit of a shocker."

http://manadeprived.com/ancestral-me...ry-of-banning/

This article goes into more detail about how toxic the format was back then and why the deck had to be banned. When did it happen? SEVEN MONTHS after release.

Magic the Gathering was released in 1993 and it STILL produced a deck like Ravager Affinity after a decade of development time, designed by bar none the most experienced design team and card game creators in the world. If you seriously think that 'a year and a half of development' somehow immunises a development team from making massive mistakes, I don't know what to say.

The issue is the lack of patience, more than the salt. Everyone's hopping up and down screaming NOWNOWNOWNOWNOWNOWNOWNOWNOWWANTITNOWFIXITNOWGAMEISDOOMEDDOITNOWNOWNOWNOWNOWNOW. That's not how balance works, and I think part of the problem is a lot of people don't realise that either because they haven't been playing TCGs a lot elsewhere in life, or don't know a lot about how development cycles work in games. Two months really isn't long. We have a rough date on a patch where they'll make an effort to fix it, but what exactly can CDPR do if people haven't got the patience to wait for it? Should they rush the patch out? I'm sure that can't possibly go wrong.

So if it seems like we're 'defending CDPR' it's because it's a fight between reasonable and unreasonable expectations. It is unreasonable to expect CDPR to suddenly fix something tomorrow because you're upset about it today. Two months is NOT a long time for something like this to happen. People believe that it being a videogame makes it somehow easier to balance and fix, but that isn't even true because patching itself is a process that - as we've seen - can cause bugs to happen while fixing other bugs. Add to that one of the most basic, basic rules of card game design is to give a format time to settle and see if a deck that appears to dominate is actually dominating, or people just haven't found a counter-strategy yet. At this point the question is answered about Dorfs, CDPR have outright stated as much, and they're going to do something about it soon.

Asking for anything more than that is simply unreasonable based on how these games actually work and have always worked, and the endless posts ragging on CDPR as if this is some sort of unique, unforgivable sin fall into that special area of internet wrongness that requires retaliatory truth strikes.

I've no problem if you want to quit GWENT over coinflip issues; that's a baked-in issue that I don't think the developers can fix due to the mechanics of the game itself. But I have a degree of problem over people saying the GWENT development team is terrible because they accidentally made another unstoppable deck, in genre of game where literally every game in that genre has unstoppable decks and the true titan of the genre (magic) has them CONSTANTLY. (not saying you said you wanted to quit GWENT, mind, just that coinflip issues are one of the things people complain about loudly)

The whinging on this site has shifted in tone from people burning off steam from losing to Dorfs (understandable, it's aggravating as hell), to almost gleefully predicting GWENT's downfall.

Last edited:
I find the main problem to not be dorfs but spies. 13 power uses to be ok when bronzes averaged ~8points but currently bronzes are atleast ~12 avg which means if ur opponent draws more of his spies they automatically win especially when getting rid of all those spies is easy with cards like igni. Dorfs is easy to win because they dont usually run More than 1 spy

Does this "pro" knows Gwent is still in beta and needs more different feedback to actually fix problems? And it's his job now to continue, not to abandon?

It would seem that most people here have forgotten the fact that the game is still in production. The fact that CDPR have failed this badly during the latest patch is a good thing, seeing as they will more than likely learn from their mistakes.

He's not quit the game. Mogwai always has high levels of salt and tilting after he's lost a bunch of matches, this isn't the first time he's said something as cavalier as "fuck this game". He said on stream today he'd probably be playing some gwent on Tuesday.

Snake_Foxhounder;n10345492 said:

Mogwai has both defended and been critical throughout this patch. He's never been a yes man. I'm so confused why people keep distrusting streamers and saying they're in CDPRs pockets just because *gasp* they said some nice things about a game they enjoy! You can still be positive about a game while having concerns and criticisms about it. Gwent is in beta, it NEEDS players to be constructively critical about it's development so it's devs can learn and develop the game for the better, just shouting about how the game is broken and it's dead helps literally no one.

Top Bottom