Monsters in The Witcher 3

+
Monsters in The Witcher 3

how many monsters do yo think the game will have, also do you think that in the game we would fight other witchers or sorceres:hmm:

Yaeh about 80 maybe even more but for now officially it has been said in numerous interviews that number of monsters is around 80 but who knows....nothing is for sure until you install game and play it,so we will see but 80 is number which has been mentioned a lot of times.

Also I think that fighting other witchers and sorceres is quite likely.

Novigrad is no where near the Empire so hostile Witchers like Letho is unlikely, sorcerers are possible but depending on whether you went with Triss, Roche or Iorveth they'll probably react differently to Geralt. Vesemir, Eskel and Lambert may appear but I think Vesemir's the only confirmed (or hinted at) Witcher at the moment. Witchers aren't hostile against each other by default and the fight with Letho wasn't part of the imported decisions, unless the Emperor is in Novigrad and has employed Witchers as bodyguards or hitmen, there'll be no hostile Witchers.

I hope we get lots of duels, maybe something like the duels in read dead when a guy simply comes to you to test his skills, but of course modified to make sense, kind of like the Cicada did in the books

80+ different monsters with different skills, attacks and weaknesses.
Was this expanded on anywhere?

As far as I know, the only announcement was a very vague "80 different monsters", without going into detail. This could very well mean that Nekker and Nekker Warrior, like Dalladrion hopes isn't the case, count as 2 monsters for the sake of the count. Obviously, I'm hoping this isn't the case either, but I take these statements (80 monsters, 36 different endings) with a spoonful of salt. They're very good headlines, but as long as the standard for what constitutes as different isn't explained (what does a different ending mean? 36 different areas locked, based on your decisions? minor dialogue changes? how different are the 80 monsters? how many variations of weaknesses do they have?), the more ambitious the claim, the more I tell myself to expect something relatively simple.

Just to be clear, I'm definitely hoping they'll prove me wrong.

My sources say

Hmmmm...
At least what they have shown so far looks promising, including the concept art. My favorite one so far:
View attachment 2090

What I'm more curious about is not the variety but the behavior of monsters, especially how they will handle the big, boss-like ones. I believe they said the fights aren't scripted and monsters can run (and fly) away and hide, so imagine how that will translate, for example,, in a fight with the huge griffin shown at the VGX video. Can monsters attack villages and kill (unimportant) NPC's? Do they roam the land? It would also be cool if CDPR created a sort of noticeable food chain and you could occasionally see certain species hunting and being hunted by others.

Attachments

• the-witcher-3-baba-yaga.jpg
    the-witcher-3-baba-yaga.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 418
Allowing the monsters to rush the villages would destroy the game. Imagine your quest-giver is dead because of the drowners:p Any deaths in the towns will be scripted. Big monsters will have abilities like disabling you the sight, restoring hp, charging, deafening, etc. :)

How many? At least 8 words, to make a full thread title, to understand the content. :)
"How many monsters will be in the game?"

How many? At least 8 words, to make a full thread title, to understand the content. :)
"How many monsters will be in the game?"

Fair point. Title about to be changed (It'll also help the next person who thinks about starting a thread on a similar topic)

What I'm more curious about is not the variety but the behavior of monsters, especially how they will handle the big, boss-like ones. I believe they said the fights aren't scripted and monsters can run (and fly) away and hide, so imagine how that will translate, for example,, in a fight with the huge griffin shown at the VGX video. Can monsters attack villages and kill (unimportant) NPC's? Do they roam the land? It would also be cool if CDPR created a sort of noticeable food chain and you could occasionally see certain species hunting and being hunted by others.

That would be REALLY cool.

Well, the latter with the food chain.
The former (with the villages) might be problematic, so rather not a good idea.

Was this expanded on anywhere?

As far as I know, the only announcement was a very vague "80 different monsters", without going into detail. This could very well mean that Nekker and Nekker Warrior, like Dalladrion hopes isn't the case, count as 2 monsters for the sake of the count. Obviously, I'm hoping this isn't the case either, but I take these statements (80 monsters, 36 different endings) with a spoonful of salt. They're very good headlines, but as long as the standard for what constitutes as different isn't explained (what does a different ending mean? 36 different areas locked, based on your decisions? minor dialogue changes? how different are the 80 monsters? how many variations of weaknesses do they have?), the more ambitious the claim, the more I tell myself to expect something relatively simple.

Just to be clear, I'm definitely hoping they'll prove me wrong.
I love CDPR but they are very vague about everything and at the end we are left being more confused. All I can say is that in the interviews they were talking in the tone as if the monsters were all Unique. In fact I dont even think certain creatures are considered "Monsters" like wolves and such. Since Monster hunting is an actual mechanic in the game this time it would make sense to have 80 different unique monsters to hunt. Especially with the confirmed size being larger then 3.5x the size of skyrim. But as always we can just hope for a developer to clear this up. Honestly it might just be the interviewer's fault for not being specific with their questions or follow up questions, ask a generalized question, get a generalized answer.

I really don't think that there will be 80 unique, different monsters in the game. That's just too much. 80 monsters for sure, but not unique in their attacks and behaviour.

When they talk about monsters hunting and unique monsters they talk about monsters like the Leshen, the Fiend, a Manticora, a Gryphon and so on I think. These are unique special monters who have special attacks like the Fiend who can turn your screen black for example. Or the Leshen which has a tremendous impact on its environment.

That's just too much. 80 monsters for sure, but not unique in their attacks and behaviour.

Why not? If there is a large enough dedicated team for it, I don't see much of an issue. I guess we have to really extrapolate what is meant by 'unique'. Do they mean nuances, or marked differences? Either way, it seems plausible.

There you have it. They have a designated tool for AI creation.

It's even more plausible than I thought -- a permutational approach to AI scripting.

There you have it. They have a designated tool for AI creation.

It's even more plausible than I thought -- a permutational approach to AI scripting.

Indeed, so many possibilities. I imagine they have a set of behavior parameters for each type (land, flying, aquatic). Some monsters might even use combinations (flight+land), this would make for some unique and complex fights. Just can't wait to see it in action!

Top Bottom