Votes: 270 26.2%
  • I need to see it in action to be sure

Votes: 294 28.6%
  • I prefer the system of TW1

Votes: 363 35.3%
  • I prefer the system of TW2

Votes: 104 10.1%

• Total voters
Well, Vesemir and the other witchers should know the receipes for most of the potions Geralt uses...;)
Yep, exactly why I mentioned them as the ones Geralt may contract about the weekly or so preparation of his potions, it would make the most sense to me, even more than Kalkstein because of the trust (even though he trust Kalk, he trust more to his comrades, and they are less succeptible to some kind of manipulation or control from third parties, you have to be a bit paranoid as a Witcher and think of everything :p)

Last edited:
I voted for seeing it in action first. There's a lot a variables here, like what exactly will ingredients harvesting system look like, how it'll all be balanced, etc.
I liked both previous alchemy systems (apart from the fact, that without some talents from the alchemy tree, potions in The Witcher 2 were underpowered), so CD Projekt Red is yet to disappoint me.

My choices:

No - cons of auto-refilling already been said here many times
TW1 system - differentiation of subingredients and alcohol bases was a really good and interesting thing.
TW2 system - preparation instead of in-combat drinking makes much more sense from the position of lore and simple logic

TW1 potion system was perfect. TW1 potion crafting system was perfect. Bring back the f...ing TW1 system!

And all those awesome types of alcohol. And more alcohol. Cause we need it.

Preparation should be made by crafting itself and not by "holding" anything. Just make ingredients rare so
players can't craft bunch of potions of every type in advance, and they will need to explore and learn about
the monsters and after that meditate and prepare potions they need... using the TW1 system... cause
you know, it was perfect. Did I say that already?

Jupiter_on_Mars

I haven't played TW1. Can anyone put me up to speed, - In a nutshell, how does it compare to TW2's?

Last edited:
I haven't plated TW1. Can anyone put me up to speed, - In a nutshell, how does it compare to TW2's?

The potions were similar in concept, ingredients had components, so you could use any ingredient that had the required component - maybe from a plant, or from monster parts. There was an added complexity of category - each ingredient didn't just have the component (e.g, rebis) but also had a subcategory - nigredo, albedo and rubedo, and these acted as modifiers. To make a potion, you also needed alcohol. Potions could only be made while meditating, and you could only meditate at a fireplace. Potions could be taken during combat. It was possible to overdose, in which case you were weakened significantly until they wore off (or you slept it off, or took a "cleansing" potion).

And personal view: No, I don't want to go back to that. Everything took up too many inventory slots, especially alcohol, and you ended up buying booze every time you were near a vendor just in case. I'd prefer something that was a mix of TW1 and TW2 - keep alcohol, but not dozens of different kinds, dump the need to meditate at fireplaces, dump the subcategories, but keep the toxicity and the ability to use on the fly (with penalty - the bad guys would continue to attack). And, like everyone else, forget about the "infinite potions" - too much like DA2.

Voted for TW1 System, for me definatly its this what we should get in TW3 also the same effekts of the potions!!!

I haven't plated TW1. Can anyone put me up to speed, - In a nutshell, how does it compare to TW2's?

Quick speedup to it hm... ok i try....

2 sorts of potions there (basically) "normal" potions they bring a certain effect that helps in combat:
Cat, Swallo, black blood and so on [sorry if i mess up the english names]

and you have "mutagenic" potions they give you a special Talent or additional points to put in skilltree
you also can choos NOT to have the "special" talents and save the "monster" instead ;)
Like Vincent and Adda

and you where looting for the ingredients you needed for the potions also you needed the receipt for them

So that is the SPEEDINTRO to TW1 system ;) look up closer if you want to know more... i assume there are
many explaintations for it ;) also on the potions itsself.

So yes i want THIS BACK also the Effects of the potions... for the problem with the exhausting lootsearch...
well they can put it like this into W3

Herbs and shrooms just don t grow everywhere only at "special" places of intereste ;) so if you want to get
the ingedients you have to ask a herbtrader... or you ask a litte girl/boy that is "crowned" with "flowers" you
recognize where they get them and go there ;) or you overhear a conversations between NPCs and they
mention a place where to find herbs and shrooms ;) many possibility to put "THE SEARCH" believable
into the game...

As many time told there was no problem at all in The Withcer 1 with the alchemy system.

TW2 was just messed up i didn t used the potions there / aka very seldom because i just not liked how
the effects of the potions were executed

Most popular example CAT wasn t CAT in TW2.... just ... MEH

So once again, PLEASE bring back TW1 System and effects.....
http://www.iofp.de/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Der-gestiefelte-Kater.jpg?58196f

I liked TW1 potion system, but not so much the effects of the potions. Most potions didn't have negative effects, unless your toxicity levels were really high. I very much enjoyed the potions in TW2, that allowed for a more tactical use of them.

Don't like this infinite potions idea. Would much rather see the system from The Witcher 1 make a comeback. To me, preparing potions and such is simply part of the Witcher experience. Having ingredients spread throughout the world would also add extra incentive to not use the fast-travel system every time you want to go from A to B and would encourage exploration (especially if there are some rare herbs that add an extra bonus to some potions)
Of course it would be ideal if they implement an alternative to manually gathering ingredients (apothecaries, herbalists, etc.) for those who don't want to go out and gather everything, but the system they have now sounds too streamlined, with potentially a very linear path of progression (Mission 1 leads to Herb A, Mission 2 leads to Herb B, now you have Potion C that happens to be perfect for Bossfight 3. Of course this is just speculation).

Many failed to see the flaw of potions preparation. There are times when there are long fights that do not allow you to stop and meditate to drink potions. Hence this change is good as a tactical combat approach but it's bad on immersion for certain people. Honestly people, do you prefer immersion or a fun gameplay that allows you flexibility in combat?

If you prefer the immersion, then they will have to scrap the meditation and allow drinking of potions during combat. Just like you cant choose both Yenn or Triss. Either one.

Btw anybody recognized the Witchersense "fade" out effect pretty much is the TW1 cat potion effect ;)
Except of the highlighting thingy ;) :D

I'd be upset if collecting shit to make potions was a meaningful gameplay mechanic before instead of just pointless grind.

This move is for casuals. We see this. We know this.

Yeah, because pressing a button to collect flowers/herbs/whatever the fuck you needed was so hardcore.

I'd be upset if collecting shit to make potions was a meaningful gameplay mechanic before instead of just pointless grind.

Yeah, because pressing a button to collect flowers/herbs/whatever the fuck you needed was so hardcore.

Ok. but auto-refilling for free ? Any time ? It went too far. I know that they want to bring some fresh feeling to alchemy system but this is too much. I hope the'll fix it.

For me, it should happen occasionally, for example when you meet friendly alchemist or herbalist from time to time ( in the books, when Geralt was in the Melitele's temple, Nenneke refilled his potion supplies). In other situations it can be done this way, that you need to pay proper person to quickly refill your potions and that would be ok, but doing it whenever you want, for free, seems too casual and weird.

When I saw that interview and Konrad Tomaszkiewicz said - "I woke up with an idea" - and explained what it is, I was oooh maan. First fucked up thing since Feb 5 2013 - when the game was announced and all that time I was just amazed by every info about W3. I'm very glad that there is plenty of time to fix it and we have chance to vote. The poll and reactions clearly sums up our approach to that system and I think REDs, as professionals will do the right move.

Last edited:

Complaints about looting and repetitive gameplay in RPGs is a very hilarious joke :D Next steps: press X to kill all mobs in 10 m radius, press Y to transform their stuff into money :facepalm:

Alchemy and crafting are a big parts of gameplay, yes. Collecting of ingredients is a base of these mechanics and a reason to take a step aside from the roads and find adventures for your ass. Is this really requiring an explanation?

Top Bottom