Interviews and Articles Part 2

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the post Sagitarii.

Ive always wondered if you had the choice of Geralt disregarding the bi...i mean witches and instead would choose to go have witcher adventures with his daughteru.

the post really gives me hope thats possible.

Where does it say, that everyone will die? Tough choice doesn't mean death - there are often worse things to choose from.

Also that last part was written in a slight joking tone.

To be fair it doesn't but the only way CDPR get some tears from me is when a main character dies. I doubt anyone really cares that much about minor characters. People might want a 'perfect' play through but I doubt anyone would cry to get it.

Minor characters he says...

Imo killing the main character is in most cases a cheap way to get an emotional response from the player, because its really over used and mostly done in a cliche way, there are so many other ways to make us cry besides that, look at last of us for example (Last of Us SPOILERS follow) when the kid (whose name escapes me now) turns and his brother filled with pure despair kills him and then himself, that scene was one of the saddest things I have ever seen in games and they weren't main characters, also it was not gratuitous, it served very well the points the whole story was trying to make. Thats the kind of thing I want to see in W3, I want the love triangle to really envelop me, not a simple "choose between triss and yen and you live happily ever after with the one you chose" kind of thing, I hope we get to romance both of them and that the big choice be made near the end after a lot of heartache

Minor characters he says...

Imo killing the main character is in most cases a cheap way to get an emotional response from the player, because its really over used and mostly done in a cliche way, there are so many other ways to make us cry besides that, look at last of us for example (Last of Us SPOILERS follow) when the kid (whose name escapes me now) turns and his brother filled with pure despair kills him and then himself, that scene was one of the saddest things I have ever seen in games and they weren't main characters, also it was not gratuitous, it served very well the points the whole story was trying to make. Thats the kind of thing I want to see in W3, I want the love triangle to really envelop me, not a simple "choose between triss and yen and you live happily ever after with the one you chose" kind of thing, I hope we get to romance both of them and that the big choice be made near the end after a lot of heartache

Yes it is, however, if it is logical outcome of situation, I expect nothing less. I hate those "saved in last moment" situations which are even more cliche.

The writer should not ease the player into this or attempt to justify it from a moral standpoint, ie, 'he died but it was for a good cause'. Two movies that violated this are Gladiator and Saving Private Ryan. The posthumous melodrama at the end lessened the impact.

I take it you're not a christian?

Cry like a beaver...bit of a mistranslation there.

My opinion on killing characters off, if and when it must be done - leave out the ceremony. That's not how death works for real, ordinary people. You hear about it second hand, you witness it and its swift and brutal, and your mind is left reeling. The writer should not ease the player into this or attempt to justify it from a moral standpoint, ie, 'he died but it was for a good cause'. Two movies that violated this are Gladiator and Saving Private Ryan. The posthumous melodrama at the end lessened the impact.

The writers do that all time and i'm talking about the considered best writers, is a normal thing in any form of fiction. The "real" thing is that everything is possible, not all people react in the same way, each person is different. The two mentioned movies are masterpieces from the movies, made in hollywood but still two great titles, in fact, in Gladiator are many deaths and different reactions. I will agree that a cold or indifferent reaction in this situations has to be justified by the writer in the most possible way.

The Witcher is a great story and is not going in the same way as GOT, is very similar in the surface but very different in the deep, specially the moral that the story leaves some knowledge, this is the best thing on a story, otherwise the story lacks of something the first and best one of all time had. If you think that giving the reader a moral message is wrong, it's subjective to what anyone thinks and also any moral knowledge is it too in many aspects and cultures.

I love "The Sword of Destiny".

Isn't it the end of movies that are most often altered after feedback from test-showings? Anecdotally the trend is towards softening the ending, making it happy ever after, possibly even market researches fault, and you do hear that directors are miffed about the direction they get pushed by the bean-counters... we wouldn't want a sad ending to dent after-show merchandise sales now would we? But Gladiator was essentially total fiction, and we couldn't really have an Emperor Maximus Decimus Meridius presiding over a non-authoritarian historical Rome. Nope, had to end it framed as a cautionary tale with the little Emperor never-to-be Lucius looking on seemingly enlightened, I dunno, maybe some people actually do think he became Emperor. I thought it was fair enough, a little cheesy sure but par for the course, tbh I expect the least from movie endings, which tend towards either spurious sequel setups or corny curtain copouts.

None of these things are likely to affect TW3.

I'd see Private Ryans ending differently though, that seemed to me a homage to the Fallen, to the actual real life youngsters who never made it home more than anything else, I thought it was an entirely fair sentiment to make clear as we should be in no doubt the actual survivors would've shared such an experience of indebted lives, and if I remember correctly that whole scene was lauded by vets, plus Spielbergs sweet tooth for sentimentality is much better exercised at the end than with a chocolate bar half way through the show (hmm supporting bonus merchandise sales again?).

The difference between the two movies is Spielberg had a message to deliver, Scott was just having fun... so what then for TW3? Maybe it has capstone to place on solid foundations to give those foundations validity of purpose themselves ;)

All that said, comparing linear storytelling where everyone gets the same delivered to them, and the artist can fine tune the messages & pace because they know exactly the menu and courses, can't really be compared to the all-you-can-eat buffet of non-linearity. Someone mentioned the Last of Us, which Ive heard has an excellent narrative, but is it closer to linear even so? Even then the other issues of Open World set TW3 apart. I imagine trying to provide the crackers and dips, meat & veg, so that a whole range of differently sophisticated palates can all fill a plate with solid cuisine is a challenge that'd drive even the Gordon Ramsey of film directors to tears.

My point is these media are not the same, and can't be approached or judged the same way by anyone. Narrative - heavy, detailed, deeply involving story - paced & driven by the observer rather than the maker ? Extremely rare stuff, apart from some avantgarde literature of the past, the RPG genre is basically the home of this style of entertainment, and if theres even been a Masterpiece yet, it's on its own.

Anyway, from his words, Mr Blacha clearly knows where everything in the kitchen is, has left the requisite chefs ego hat in the freezer, and wants to make some serious paella.

In video games the ultimate director and "final contractor" is the player. Especially in Witchers, where the story can be told in different ways. Writer is satisfied when the player can play in their own way and feels, that he got everything he needed to enjoy the game. This goal must be achieved in spite of a writer to various technical, production and budget constraints.

My satisfaction comes not from the story perfectly the way I would like, but IMO from player satisfaction. Perhaps masterpieces follow different rules, but it's hard for me to speak subjectively, because I've never created a masterpiece and I don't know how it really is. The only thing I can base things upon is my professional experience.

To my mind a Masterpiece is something that gets everything it tried to do right, and often some more things quite unintentionally too, they are correctly a rarefied grade, and the whole point of this post is to highlight how frigging difficult - I truly believe - an ask it is in gaming, incomparable with the other arts simply due to gamers excessive subjective input. I for one have yet to see a game make it, though some have been close perhaps in their time, and I wouldn't argue over a certain old game, and while I myself am preparing for the inevitable consequences of the Open World thinning the sauce a little, I have to say I consider TW2's narrative, its delivery & style, particularly its treatment of characters & consequently the players' position in the tale, to be of a masterful quality, ideal for the medium, Michelin grade for sure, so anythings possible... but I wouldn't worry too much about one word that might be beginning to accompany "awesome" to the realms of the meaningless, if the PR guys got their hands on it.

Apologies for the food everywhere ;)

Last edited:
Very nice, maybe not perfect, but quit suitable introduction to Witcher's world (and to person which Geralt is + some other characters), for people who have had no any particular contact with books or games.
For others it's nice reminder.

Last edited:
Very nice, maybe not perfect, but quit suitable introduction to Witcher's world (and to person which Geralt is + some other characters), for people who have had no any particular contact with books or games.
For others it's nice reminder.

He got few story bits wrong, but its a good introduction. :)

Guys, did you find any interview with Damien at the Playstation Experience in Las Vegas? He is there ready to talk. Anyone from Vegas here?

Some news about "Witcher 3 Delayed" + some thoughts about it. Some shorter, some longer. Nothing special, but :) you can listen to it and you don't have to read about it (for "lazy people") Nice listening.

[video=youtube;BGWn0MN-dHo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGWn0MN-dHo&list=UUyxEvrQcT0aHRnP8DpxSENQ&index=1[/video]

What is with "yet again". This is the second delay, so "delayed again" is appropriate... "yet again" is more suited to such hilarity as the old IL2 with it's "two weeks, be sure" release schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom