Obvious Downgrade

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Those screenshots are decent, but they show the level of downgrade/optimisation that TW3 went through. Texture quality is nowhere near the level previously seen in old teasers/trailer. What we've seen tonight looks okayish for a console game (and it was console footage - lack of fur physics proves it), but it's nothing impressive.
Well, Like I said. Those are apparently from the PS4 version.

Also, in this trailer you can see hair not moving as much as it probably should be. Looks like dangling object limit is turned on

Last edited:

Attachments

• 2014-12-06_091705.jpg
    2014-12-06_091705.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 64
I'm a huge graphics whore, and I'm not seeing any significant downgrade at all. All the most important graphical features seem to be present; the biggest being PBR or physically based rendering. Also subsurface scattering is there, which you can clearly see on the skin and eyes.

No, I'm certain there has been no downgrade. The game looks absolutely stunning, and it will look even better when they release the uncompressed version.....which will look even better when I'm playing it on my 1440p monitor :D

Dont care much about any drop in the quality of the graphics. The original Witcher and Assassins of Kings still have their charms and the graphics still looks stellar. What's important to me is the gameplay design, and I believe that CDPR won't disappoint in that regards.

Thank you for that.

It may not sound like it from my previous post, but graphics are not that important to me. Misrepresenting the product IS.
They said the game will look unbelievable on many occasions, but that's just not the case in the latest trailer. They also said a great deal of other things which made TW3 my most anticipated game ever, and the slight possibility that these other things might be false is very worrying. That's my main problem whit their marketing.

I agree. The thing is, for CDPR and TW3, the superior graphics has always been advertised together with its novel-like story, nonlinear and mature plot etc. For TW3, graphics are not just graphics, but an attitude of making games that we had loved from CDPR, and it is this attitude - treating games like art, and daring to rebel against shallow games - that enabled CDPR to make the amazing previous witcher games. The so-far-less-than-promised graphics we have seen too easily makes me skeptical about whether CDPR still holds the same attitude about their products as much as they advertise, and this doubt goes into so many more layers than merely the look.

Last edited:
People is seeing what the want to see.

I see a lot of polygons on the supposedly pixelated images, images that are so close to the objects, pixels that you will find on every game in the same close up views.
Yennefer looks AWESOME, looks better than any character i saw in any videogame. The only game near this quality is the coming mmorpg black desert.

Meshes are really awesome.

No downgrade for me here.

Last edited by a moderator:
People not only expect way too much out of an unreleased game/trailers of a game still in production but also ask for unreasonable results, CDPR's marketing's fault or not, people should lower their expectations a bit, I am a bit of a fanboy when we are talking about CDPR and The Witcher but I can't help to think that a game as big as what CDPR announced for The Witcher 3, in therm of open world can't possibly be the "next big step" in regards to graphical fidelity, a big step for open word games? Yes, the most graphically advanced game on the market like some people wish/expect? Well, careful there, you may be disappointed, and I don't want another Crysis which run like crap several years after its release...

What I want to say really is, don't take trailers/screenshots of a game in development for the final product, that's when you set your expectations too high that you end up disappointed.

To be an advocate for people upset about any downgrade for any game. When a game is advertised with a certain graphical fidelity you expect to get a game that looks that way. IWhen a game is downgraded it isn't so much about "These graphics are worse" it's more about "They lied to us. This is not know the game looks in the end and they knew that. They never said the visuals would be changed before release".

I believe if a developer says and let's everyone know before the game comes out that "Hey, we misjudged what we could actually achieve on consumer hardware. We had to change it. We're sorry" then that's a bit different. The thing is that most devs just keep quiet about it until release.

Keep in mind too, you are in a thread made to discuss the visuals. People are going to discuss the visuals here. It's like going into the Witcher 3 music thread and complaining people are talking about the music.

Another thing too, is that ultra settings may not even be finalized yet. But as it stands right now, the trailer's graphics look amazing to me.

I'm pretty confident this is the same build as E3. Famitsu was recently shown what are apparently PS4 shots . Nobody seems to touch on this though because it shows improvement. I'm going to post these comparisons again between E3 and Famitsu. The image you get when you mouse over is famitsu. Look at Geralt's hair in this

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/103054

and compare it to this new trailer. The hair is like E3's hair.

Here is another comparison

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/102245

These screenshots came out somewhat recently. They are the newest screenshots

The change is in lighting, if it's on a different place or time the comparison is not fair.

And to me, there is no sense in lowering the texture resolution, consoles have a huge capacity for textures, textures don't make any harm to a game performance, meshes quality, shaders, other effect does.

I'm not buying the "downgrade" wave and less if it is based on textures, no game ever downgraded the textures, not on PC and i don't think that will on consoles, in fact new games remastered has bigger textures now with the 8 gb available unified ram.

"The change is in lighting"

Do you not notice Johnny's skin, hair, rocks behind him, scarf, crown, eyes? Look at how his body paint looks like it's on his skin as paint and not just like a big tattoo

Or the old women's hair, face, clothing. Geralt's armor is also a bit different.

Last edited:
http://imgur.com/a/zyjqe

these looks pretty good, im pretty sure this was the console version of trailer as cdpr had said that witcher 3 will look like witcher 2 on high settings on consoles and this trailer really did look like witcher 2.and those flamitsu pics look like pc with ultra textures and fur enabled and everything, just at the hair and i can clearly tell txaa applied on those images.

I think people are overreacting and jumping to conclusions here. We know very little about this trailer. It could be an old build of the game, it could be the PS4 or Xbone version of the game (in which case it looks pretty damn good), it might not be at the highest settings etc. Also youtube's lousy compression doesn't help much either. I know that the gaming industry hasn't been at its greatest lately with games like Watch Dogs, Far Cry 4, and Assassin's Creed Unity (Ubisoft in other words), and people have a right to be cautious, but I don't think its fair to go on a witch hunt here and start throwing accusations around until you have some solid evidence to back up your argument.
I will say this though: CDProject should have released some details about the trailer, particularly in regards to which platform it was generated from.

I will say this though: CDProject should have released some details about the trailer, particularly in regards to which platform it was generated from.

I agree, it would help. And a version without that Youtube compression would be useful. Am I mistaken, or was the HD filesize really 43MB? There was some pretty heavy compression.

I agree, it would help. And a version without that Youtube compression would be useful. Am I mistaken, or was the HD filesize really 43MB? There was some pretty heavy compression.
This is what 4K video downloader says for me. Latest version of it.

View attachment 8080

Edit: The sword of destiny trailer from GoG is 145MB at 1080p for reference

Attachments

• wow.JPG
    wow.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Yeah youtube us bloody terrible, someone really needs to do something about that. Even the Sword of Destiny trailer looked like crap when it first came out. It's like trying to look through glasses that have been smeared with oil.

The only real "downgrade" I saw is on the 0:15 - 0:29. On one guy's icy armour. Other textures through the trailer look hi-res and great overall, even on the other wild hunt soldiers armour. And the ones that does not look great - its youtube compression fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom