Interviews and Articles - 2015

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
No one is comparing them, I'm just saying its a different type of RPG.. but still an RPG. It reminds me of being on the Skyrim forums where a lot sentiment there is that the Witcher isnt a "real RPG" because you have no character creation, no classes, and theres usually limits on how you can roleplay Geralt. There was also lots of critiscm of how there was no real world to explore because of how it was broken up into acts, but thats irrelevant to TW3. To me that doesnt mean its not an RPG, its just a different type of RPG compared with Elder Scrolls where you have those types of freedoms.

Yeah, in fact a Dungeon Crawl is a sub genre of the RPG genre.
But it has different rules and it is made in a different way in terms of game design from the classic WRPG.
So, Witcher 3 can't be analyzed from someone who knows only DkS.

Besides, Skyrim community is simply ignorant. If they said TW is not an RPG because of character creation, then they never played Fallout 1, Deus Ex, Gothic ecc...

There hasn't been a post on topic in two hours. Please get back to comments that address the content of current interviews and articles as they pertain to TW3, not the Skyrim forum's working definition of an RPG or the style of play in DS or Batman games.

Yeah, if you say "confirmed" then please, translate your source.
Our languages are pretty similar, I can understand some words, but not the entire article. XD

Sure.

---------- Updated at 02:53 AM ----------

The Witcher 3 en 4K et sans downgrade ? Ah, ah, rêvez !

Pour commencer, parlons mal, parlons graphismes – histoire d'expédier ce sujet. Nous avons eu entre les mains un build datant de la mi-janvier, et, même si la release est encore loin – l'équilibrage restant à faire –, un constat s'impose : The Witcher 3, comme tant d'autres, est downgradé. Chanceux comme nous sommes, nous avons pu jouer à la version PC – au pad de Xbox One malheureusement, les contrôles claviers n'étant pas implantés –, mais nous avons aussi pu observer les versions consoles. Rassurez-vous, The Witcher 3 est beau, mais que ce soit au niveau des effets de lumière, de la distance d'affichage ou de la finesse des textures : il est dur de croire que le résultat promis sera atteint. Ironie de la chose, Geralt et les protagonistes principaux sont très bien modélisés et ont des textures fines, mais ce n’est pas le cas de la masse de personnages secondaires et tertiaires que nous proposera cet opus, créant donc une impression de décalage frappant.
Les versions consoles, quant à elles, sont assez similaires. Soit, la version One est en 900p et la version PS4 en 1080p, mais sérieusement, à moins de jouer sur un 60" : impossible de le voir à l'oeil. Par contre, l’argument des trois plateformes équivalentes ne tient pas : PS4 ou Xbox One, nous sommes très en deçà de la "MasterRace". Plus inquiétant, le framerate est pour le moment instable et les crashs bien trop courants.
The Witcher 3 in 4k and without any downgrade? Pipedream

Let’s start this article by addressing the graphics issue. We’ve had our hands on a build from mid-January, and even if release is still quite far away and the optimization is not quite done yet, there is one thing we can definitely say – The Witcher 3, like so many others, is downgraded. We were very lucky to play the PC version with the Xbox One controller as the keyboard mapping wasn’t available – but we also had the chance to observe the console versions. Just to reassure you, The Witcher 3 is a gorgeous game, but with regards to lighting effects, draw distance or texture resolution: it is hard to believe that the promised graphics will ever be attained. On an ironic note, Geralt and the protagonists have complex models and textured with minute details, but the same can’t be said for 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] or 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] tier characters and the contrast is quite shocking.
The console versions are very similar. The One version in 900p and the PS4 on 1080p – impossible to see any difference unless you’re playing the game on a 60’’ screen. One thing has to be said, however, on the matter of console parity: the argument doesn’t hold, and PS4 or Xbox One, it doesn’t matter which one – both consoles are nowhere close to the ‘MasterRace’. And even more concerning – the framerate is unstable and the crashes are way too frequent

Last edited:
Yeah, if you say "confirmed" then please, translate your source.
Our languages are pretty similar, I can understand some words, but not the entire article. XD

For what I understand there's no confirmation, the journos looked at the game and think its downgraded, so nothing new, and nothing confirmed.

Sure.

---------- Updated at 02:53 AM ----------

The Witcher 3 in 4k and without any downgrade? Pipedream

Let’s start this article by addressing the graphics issue. We’ve had our hands on a build from mid-January, and even if release is still quite far away and the optimization is not quite done yet, there is one thing we can definitely say – The Witcher 3, like so many others, is downgraded. We were very lucky to play the PC version with the Xbox One controller as the keyboard mapping wasn’t available – but we also had the chance to observe the console versions. Just to reassure you, The Witcher 3 is a gorgeous game, but with regards to lighting effects, draw distance or texture resolution: it is hard to believe that the promised graphics will ever be attained. On an ironic note, Geralt and the protagonists have complex models and textured with minute details, but the same can’t be said for 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] or 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] tier characters and the contrast is quite shocking.
The console versions are very similar. The One version in 900p and the PS4 on 1080p – impossible to see any difference unless you’re playing the game on a 60’’ screen. One thing has to be said, however, on the matter of console parity: the argument doesn’t hold, and PS4 or Xbox One, it doesn’t matter which one – we are nowhere close to the ‘MasterRace’. And even more concerning – the framerate is unstable and the crashes are way too frequent

So...they are talking about the old january build...and about consoles?
Please, tell them that "the promise graphics" was never meant for consoles.
All companies shows in trailer what is the PC version of the game.

I guess we have extremely different opinions on the meaning of the word "confirmed"; but that's none of my business ;) If we are saying that what one journalist says "confirms" things, then I'd say Heiko Klinge has "confirmed" that there is no downgrade according to the Ultra settings. The argument is kind of flawed, don't you think?

Aaanyway, I'll be back to lurking. Hopefully there will be actual "new" content soon ;)

We all get it, someone opining isn't a 'confirmation' now let's stop mentioning/ridiculing the same thing over and over.

For me, that only really reinforces the difference between the January and current build.

Gamestar.de is the only source to have played the game on Ultra so far, correct? And they mentioned specifically that it made a substantial difference (especially in the trouble spots like foliage) from the 'High' settings that have been available on previous builds like the January one.

Sorry, couldn't hold myself back :)

For what its worth, I'm not saying that I'm completely disregarding their opinions. I'm just saying that there are so many opinions out there that I'd rather see for myself when the time comes, if the graphics are okay for my standards or not. It's just that I don't wait for the "downgrade" to arrive, as much as I want the game to come out and play the hell out of it.

But I concur, let's not derail the topic any further. I'm really waiting for some new content to arrive, so that we can discuss something new. Right now these are all flashbacks from January.

Quote Originally Posted by clst View Post
perhaps not link already preview of the game

http://www.rpgfrance.com/dossier-103...traque-sauvage

I only skimmed through this with Google Translate because because it didn't do such a good job, and from that brief glance it seems these guys were harder to impress. It was still positive overall, but far from gushing with praise about every aspect, so I'm curious to read a proper translation.

yes , Eliiharel this is a very long and very good preview two were at the hand on and play the game for 3h30 . one of them is a fan of the serie so he's impress and the second one was never a fan of the serie so she point out every default she find out and for her as a gamer the game was downgraded a little for the console ( the game could be as beautifull as the sword of destiny trailer but because of the overall performance of the console she think dev don't want to much gap between the console and the pc game.the game is still beautifull. but it s good to read a good preview of the someone out of the hype .

---------- Updated at 05:10 AM ----------

I don't know French so I don't know for sure what the tone of the article is, but still, why go to this event then? Wasn't there someone else that's more interested in the franchise and that could actually be able to provide valuable feedback to both CDPR and to the fans?
With the same success they could've sent someone who plays only FIFA/PES.

i m french yes but i don't have the courage to translate all p ( i live at brest france )

because she is a journalist and she will play the game , she is a old school rpg fan (j rpg or diablo like and dark souls saga fan) but not witcher fan
so she go there with his college and try the game , the other journalist is a fan of the saga like most of us so they go try the game and each turn they give their opinion about each aspect of it ( very good preview and out of the hype )

>> look bloodborne : yes very good rpg i play it now but have some default anyone woudn't admit before release loading time , frame rate issue ect )

they say on the preview that's the screen shot is ultra setting ( i would say normal like always ) so don't expect this for ps4 and xbox one . the game on high setting is very beautifful but not as georgous as ultra no hairwork not the same texture ( but like always ) >>>witcher 2 pc on ultra setting and witcher 2 xbox one same game not the same graphic but at conclusion : one say it's the game he await the most like most of us :) and the other say it could be good to be play like she play red hand redemption or gta

---------- Updated at 05:22 AM ----------

I think it' mostly due to the fact that Iosword, the female journalist, is a huge Dark Souls fan, for her an rpg is all about gameplay, she just don't see the point of a story-driven experience and that's presumeably why she did not really enjoy the previous game and don't seem particulary hype about the next one.

Personnaly I never liked the souls séries, what I look forward in an rpg is the story and the freedom of choices so if I had to make a preview about Bloodborne I will probably sound as harsh as she is about The Witcher even if Bloodborne is a masterpiece because that's really not my type of game.

So if you ignore the impression of Iosword and focuses only on the part written by Pouicoss (who really like the previous game) it sound as promising as any other preview.

yes it's like you says

Last edited:
Let me clear some things from the french preview on RPGfrance, first of all, know that RPG france is one of the french site who promotted the first witcher in France through Witcher France. We love the game, we always try to convince our readers to try them. To come back to ou preview, when we mentioned downgraded it just to explain that the version our team played had not the video features set on max. Overall we had two person playing this preview, one of them is trully an big fan of the serie, the other one is more reserved. So the preview is set as a discussion between a big fan and a more reserved one. Overall , even it is not obvious with a rough translation,they are quite pleased with the game. They had some questions about how the final product will be from what they played. Concerning the mature aspect, the comments were mainly about the definition of mature, as mature is not about nudity or sex (which some consider as adult) , but more about ideas and choices (as in the first witcher xenophobia, hate and misogyny are good examples of the mature topics). Overall they liked the game they played and their comments were more about minor points. They are not brainless fanboys (even though I am a brainless fangirl :) and through their preview wanted to reallly convey their feelings as players. So not to worry guys, rpg france is still a den of witcher fans but we also try to do our job the fairest way possible when it comes to preview.
Anyway if you have some questions regarding our preview do not hesitate to ask. I know that translating is not only about words but also about subtilities and feelings conveyed by the precise choice of words.

Last edited:
Let me clear some things from the french preview on RPGfrance, first of all, know that RPG france is one of the french site who promotted the first witcher in France through Witcher France. We love the game, we always try to convince our readers to try them. To come back to ou preview, when we mentioned downgraded it just to explain that the version our team played had not the video features set on max. Overall we had two person playing this preview, one of them is trully an big fan of the serie, the other one is more reserved. So the preview is set as a discussion between a big fan and a more reserved one. Overall , even it is not obvious with a rough translation,they are quite pleased with the game. They had some questions about how the final product will be from what they played. Concerning the mature aspect, the comments were mainly about the definition of mature, as mature is not about nudity or sex (which some consider as adult) , but more about ideas and choices (as in the first witcher xenophobia, hate and misogyny are good examples of the mature topics). Overall they liked the game they played and their comments were more about minor points. They are not brainless fanboys (even though I am a brainless fangirl :) and through their preview wanted to reallly convey their feelings as players. So not to worry guys, rpg france is still a den of witcher fans but we also try to do our job the fairest way possible when it comes to preview.
Anyway if you have some questions regarding our preview do not hesitate to ask. I know that translating is not only about words but also about subtilities and feelings conveyed by the precise choice of words.

With all due respect, if you want to clarify on an international fourm, use better English. Anything else is confusion.

@Ninheve Thanks for taking the time to come here and explain a little clearly :)
So It looks that I am not so confusing when I am writing in english?
:p

---------- Updated at 07:38 AM ----------
To Garrison72
So under the pretense that my native langage is not english , I am not allowed to post on an international forum? On a thread where most of the comments comes from the google translation of a preview?
If my post is confusing, I apologize (apologise if you prefer the bristish version) for not spending more time writing it.... But I could also take the time to clear things up for you. Do you prefer american english? bristish?aussie? kiwi? cockney?(this at least will require that I also work my accent...) , I can even go for the Rhode Island accent (as they say in Providence...;may da force be with yah) :p

Last edited:
With all due respect, if you want to clarify on an international fourm, use better English. Anything else is confusion.

Uuh. I understood.

But I think it was definitely unfortunate that "downgraded" was used when it just meant "not on the highest settings". The meaning is totally different, and it gives the impression of someone just trying to be controversial.

I certainly appreciate the fact a gaming journalist decided to chime in to clarify what he or she had written. For that, thank you.

I read French. To me, the phrasing was not ambiguous and the context was quite clear. If the author(s) made a mistake, was imprecise, wishes to take something back, why, that's perfectly fine. Not the end of the world. But to me there was little to no ambiguity in that paragraph.

Regardless, what now stands are the author's most recent words.

Ah, looks like Gamespot is up to something meaty.

Dawn shooting in Warsaw for our Witcher 3 features. Good morning step-sister.

]

They had previously tweeted

If you're excited for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt you'd better keep your eyes on @GameSpot over the coming weeks...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom