What house rules would you adhere to in your first playthrough?

+
- Buying new gaming pc so I can achieve ultra graphics with over 40 framerates
- No skipping dialoque or cutscenes and talk to EVERYONE.
- set in Hard difficulty
-"Eating" and "sleeping" at inns and campfires often while playing as Geralt. And other things that increasemy immersion between quests

Last edited:
- playing on the highest difficulty without perma-death
- not using any internet help/walkthrough even of a enemy or riddle is driving me crazy
- no reloading of pevious saves to correct choices I may not be happy with
- disable some markers, but don't know which one yet
- talk to every npcs I can find and check out every dialogue option
- explore every inch of the world
- as a completionist doing 100% of the game

Last edited:
I think there's gone a bit too much inflation in this "I must maximize my experience" attitude over the past years. It's like people can't enjoy the moment and spend hours, days or even weeks thinking about how to capitalize maximum pleasure out of something. And in doing so they simply loose the fun of the moment.

Personally I will just boot up the game and let the experience grab me and follow/adjust the game to my liking along the way. To have some kind of preset plan of different circumstances I must either follow or not will totally ruin this.

It's a game. It's entertainment. It's suppose to be fun.

For first play through:

1. Play on normal (I'm a wuss);
2. No mini map;
3. No quest markers (unless journal is just completely useless and awful like Skyrim);
4. No fast travel;
5. No help from the interwebs or guide books;
6. Make choices within game as follows:
a. Do what I think Geralt would do;
b. If I'm unsure of what Geralt would do, do what I would do.

On the second play through, the difficulty will go up and many of the other rules will go away to do a completionist run. But the first play through will be the "canon" play through.

I'll play on normal probably, go where the game takes me, make intuitive choices, I won't rush it but also won't worry about whether I've stepped on every square inch of the map. And I'll be trying to avoid game guides.

The completionist playthrough will be the second time.

On my first playthrough:

• Playing on Normal Mode, Hard/Dark Mode for second playthrough.
  • Turn off the Hud completely
  • No markers etc. on the map
  • Having a balanced playthrough, meaning not doing everything and let hours/days/weeks past after main quest, so that the storyline has a good pace.
  • Saving the 100% for second playthrough.
  • Absolutely no fast travel, unless my destination is on the other side end of the map.

It's a game. It's entertainment. It's suppose to be fun.

I think this is just people stating what kind of intuitive habits they have and things they like to be mindful of when playing a new game for the first time. For example, having little rules like 'no walkthroughs', optimising the HUD, not going back to previous saves etc. are things that most people already do intuitively when they boot up the game. So I'd imagine anyone who posted in this thread some set of rules and then when they played the game found that they weren't having fun, they'd abandon those rules instantly. Everyone's so excited they're imagining what they'd do when they play the game, this thread is evidence of that. So I imagine they are entertained and are having fun :)

Personally, I will be posting a beard pun every day of the week leading up to the release of the game and then undergoing a vow of pun-silence until I've completed my first playthrough. I also plan an out-of-character slutty Geralt playthrough with a friend who can't use her hands making all the decisions (we did it for the Witcher 2). Each to their own :)

So I'd imagine anyone who posted in this thread some set of rules and then when they played the game found that they weren't having fun, they'd abandon those rules instantly. Everyone's so excited they're imagining what they'd do when they play the game, this thread is evidence of that. So I imagine they are entertained and are having fun

Pretty much.

It's more-so like "Guidelines" that I hold for all open world games. If they have terrible design aspects that make me go against those preferences (Skyrim made me ditch just about every open world "rule" I hold) then I won't be afraid to just ditch my rules and go with it. Although that's generally a pretty bad sign, if I have to ditch all my open world "rules" then it's clearly a pretty shitty open world, and would need something super amazing (Combat or Story or something) for me to still think it's a decent game overall.

Putting it into a big dot-point list makes it seem a little mechanical/forced, but I'd say it's more-so just little unspoken preferences in the game design that due to the thread we are actually speaking about, and I think even those with "rules" are still prepared to just go with the flow if something calls for it.

"No fast travel" ...
We've got a BDSM-club right here...

A well designed open world with interesting methods of transportation that control and feel great, enough variety of transportation and incredible atmosphere, following a 'No Fast Travel' rule is actually not all that difficult.

Last edited:

ajarn

Forum regular
A well designed open world with interesting methods of transportation that control and feel great, enough variety of transportation and incredible atmosphere, following a 'No Fast Travel' rule is actually not all that difficult.

Did you see size of the world? It'll take several hours to ride up/down/left/right ... At the exact same locations, that you already visited (killed everything, that moves, slept with everyone, that moves).
So, what's the point?
It is said, that there is no respawn ...

So, what's the point?

Atmosphere. Generally just enjoying the travel mechanics if they look/feel great. Perhaps you actually haven't seen everything the area has to offer, you might have not seen some kind of dynamic event, or you might have never ridden through the area when it was raining etc.

I totally understand folk who use fast travel, but I'm just saying that with well developed travel systems and incredible atmosphere, not using fast travel can actually be easier than people seem to think.

After 3 playthrough's of Red Dead Redemption I've never once used fast travel, and I've actually never even considered using it. Even if I have to go across almost the entire map, traversing the land feels so natural, the ambience, the music, the events, the way the world feels "alive", I wouldn't ever want to fast travel past all that even if I've ridden the same road 100 times already.

I'll see as I go, but like most people here, I will turn off all of the hand holding mechanics, play on hard, and most likely won't fast travel.

hm ...

-3) book vacation [x]
-2) explain situation to my girl in serious discussion [x] (e.g. 1 week game first prio, then sex and other bodily needs, then sleep - no other activities)
-1) update pc [WIP]

0) set up supplies for one week [coffee, tea, healthy food, tons of nuts, etc]

1) play game
- as geralts char resembles me anways, just choose as I would - but really carefully
- normal or hard, depending on mood
- enjoy the game with as little game mechanics help as feasible
- just play, too many rules are borders. explore and rejoice :)
- and obviously avoid any walkthroughs...

Last edited:
No reload and no fast travel obviously, but I probably won't even ride if I'm in a new location. I'd just run off the road to look at something every minute anyways. (that's not really a "rule" though, just something I'll probably do.)

I think this is just people stating what kind of intuitive habits they have and things they like to be mindful of when playing a new game for the first time. For example, having little rules like 'no walkthroughs', optimising the HUD, not going back to previous saves etc. are things that most people already do intuitively when they boot up the game. So I'd imagine anyone who posted in this thread some set of rules and then when they played the game found that they weren't having fun, they'd abandon those rules instantly. Everyone's so excited they're imagining what they'd do when they play the game, this thread is evidence of that. So I imagine they are entertained and are having fun :)

Personally, I will be posting a beard pun every day of the week leading up to the release of the game and then undergoing a vow of pun-silence until I've completed my first playthrough. I also plan an out-of-character slutty Geralt playthrough with a friend who can't use her hands making all the decisions (we did it for the Witcher 2). Each to their own :)

I can understand the charm of it for sure. And I can understand that the waiting is unbearable and threads like this gives people a breather to kill some time before release day. Am I against it? Of course not. Am I over analyzing it? Most likely.

An analogy; the parties you remember for the rest of your life or the best holidays you ever had are most often the "spur of the moments" events that you hadn't planned out in details in advance. It's like you are more open to the things that unfolds around you if you haven't got a predefined plan but just go along with it.

And that's really my point and the reason I posted it because I think people shouldn't forget the fun of the moment and keep a open mind - it's a game. One of life's hard lessons is that things never or very rarely turns out the way they were planned. Yet it seems that we are more and more living our lives in little boxes where we plan out anything to somehow capitalize maximum pleasure/profit/excitement out of something and in doing so we are not really there in the moment because the events don't "follow" the mindset of rules we had or unfold as we had imagine it. And instead of enjoying what is happening we annoy ourselves over that it didn't turn out as we imagined it our heads.

And that's what happens when people create these rules sets for themselves - they are already making themselves a picture of how they want the game to pan out and it just very rarely doesn't. Sure people then can adjust the game to again accommodate the maximization of the fun but how much will you bet they have spent hours before annoying themselves that it didn't turn out as they wanted it before they admit defeat and finally decide to change the "rule set".

I can't count how many Youtube let's plays or even walkthroughs I have seen where the player or players had to admit half ways through the game that they have decided to adjust their play style or approach because they just didn't have fun. And they tried so hard to enjoy the game but just couldn't because of the predefined rule set they had made before starting. And then when they take a more relaxed approached without rules they are suddenly enjoying themselves to the max. And isn't that what a game is about? Enjoyment?

And I think that's how a game should be approached. It is not serious business but a product of entertainment where you can relax and have fun. How about treating it as such? Lean back, throw up your legs and just immerse yourself. And then when you have a feel for the game you can set out making the guidelines you want to follow - maybe in a second play through when you know what to expect you can make a rule set you want to abide by?

Anyway that's why I never set up some predefined guides I need to follow for a game. And that was the point I tried to con-way and people can take it or leave it. Make up the rules as you go in the game and enjoy it without a redefined rule set. Is the game to easy, bump up the difficulty. Is the environment great and are the world full of random events don't use fast travel and start exploring and find the random events. And so on. Don't start out like saying I must play on hard , I must not use fast travel. I must/must not this or that and then spent hours like that before admitting defeat wasting hours you could have used enjoying yourself. :)

My first try will be on hard and with Permadeath. Makes it so much more immersive. ;)

P.S.: Did the same with Pillars of Eternity. Died half way through the game when I got surrounded by a group of Ogres. :( Need a break from that game now, until I get over it...

Last edited:
Don't start out like saying I must play on hard , I must not use fast travel. I must/must not this or that and then spent hours like that before admitting defeat wasting hours you could have used enjoying yourself.

maybe you interpret 'must' a little too literally? also, as you say, you are overanalysing a bit. perhaps it is YOU who should relax and let the thread flow, ahahaha. :) as someone above said these are more like guidelines. i personally will probably stick to the general guides most people above have mentioned and then, from that, create some new rule set for the next playthrough. i don't think there's ever any hard/fast rules for a first playthrough.

Top Bottom