Hearts of Stone & Blood and Wine - two massive expansions for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

+
In all probability I am going to buy both expansions on gog.com once they release.
These strike me as good value for money.

However, help me understand the math here, because, who knows, maybe I'm making a rudimentary mistake:

The Wicther 3
Price: $59.96
Length (standard, non-completionist playthrough): 100 hours
Ratio: $0.59 per hour of content

Expansions
Price: $25
Length (presumably standard, non-completionist playthrough): 30 hours
Ratio: $0.83 per hour of content

Now that's roughly a 40 percent increase. One could argue that, if anything, that ratio should go down as engine and gameplay systems are already in place and those costs have already been covered. One might also argue the full game boasts 200 hours of content, but then again we don't know what those 30 hours stand for. Is the number the 50+50 hours counterpart, or the 200 hours counterpart?

Just curious.

Last edited:
@Agent Bleu

In the olden times the reason would be shipping costs. Nowadays? Bit of a puzzler, I admit. Force of habit?

---------- Updated at 07:29 PM ----------

@Agent Bleu

In the olden times the reason would be shipping costs. Nowadays? Bit of a puzzler, I admit. Force of habit?

What's going on with the forum? Looks like nginx can't cope with the load.

---------- Updated at 07:32 PM ----------

Expansion =/= DLC...... get it through your head, and no need to insult everyone here

DLC is a stupid term. It's all an expansion pack.

Last edited:
you can call it whatever you want, I still have to pay extra money in order to experience that content, the mask does not remove the object's properties
I'm not sure in what world you live in that paying money for content that the developers are about to create after the game releases is outrageous.

Let's break it down in the simplest way possible. This is the order of events:
- CDPR works on TW3.
- TW3 releases.
- CDPR works on expansions.
- Expansions release.

How is not-paying for work and new content they're going to spend half a year on after the game is released the sensible course of action?

Unless you believe the content already exists and they're just hiding it. In which case...

And before it's brought up - even if the content is already being worked on before the game is released, it doesn't matter, because there comes a point where you don't add new material to the game even if you're not two days before gold. Feature creep and all.

Edit: I don't think calculating the hours-to-price ratio is right. TW3 will likely be significantly longer than most games out there. It's still priced at the industry standard of AAA titles of 60$, just like many other AAA titles which aren't nearly as long. 20-25$ for an expansion pack seems reasonable (which is it, anyway? I have it at 25$ but I see saying they can purchase for 20$).

Last edited:
Toussaint............................................

Expansions were always never as good value for money as the base game.

I remember buying all the expansion packs for Morrowind and they had nowhere near the amount of base content the game contained yet combined cost me more than the base.

I think trying to put a "Dollar per Hour" value on Base Game vs Expansion is kind of pointless. At least for me, it was always about loving the original game enough to support the developer and enjoy the benefits that expansions gave: More content, added areas to the world to freely explore, refined, improved and added Gameplay mechanics etc.

People here in Brazil are complaining a lot. Many are confusing the free DLCs with these expansions. Unfortunately, the other companies polices made many gamers have suspicion about paid stuff. And it's a bit expensive. R$ 65,00 reais here :/

because it is an anti consumer policy, and you as a consumer should care about that, because you are the one letting it happen

because it is an anti consumer policy, and you as a consumer should care about that, because you are the one letting it happen

Do you mean artificially delaying expansions is anti-consumer? I agree. Or you mean that "pass" terminology hints at this artificial delay? I.e. all is already developed, but expansions are pushed to later dates to boost sales later? I'm not familiar with this, since I've never bought any games with such "passes".

I don't mind if expansion packs are paid for. They are not coming for free to developers. As long as they are expansions (i.e. additional quests, more areas and etc.) and not content cut from the original game to squeeze more sales by providing more horses or armor to characters.

I'm happy it's coming out so many months after the game and it's not expensive. Still, I think it probably would have been better received if it was announce after the game was out. The expansions don't come out for months so I really don't know why they would announce it before the game is even out.

What is anti-consumer here?

I think he meant the artificial delay. Or so called "release windows" that outdated film industry is obsessed with for example. But I didn't get the impression that it's the case here. CDPR have to develop these expansion packs, no? So that's why they are coming later.

Worst timing ever, seriously.
You should have announce those expansions after the release date, and reveal the other 14 DLCs instead.
Now the negative backlash is insane.

Top Bottom