Day 1 patch size

+
Day 1 patch size

Just out of curiosity, anyone know or even care to guess the size of the day 1 patch?

I am personally hoping for less than 1gb but ive known many games in the past to have 2-3gb day 1 patches. Rare i know, but it has happened in the past.

It's probably gonna be moderately hefty all things considered, unavoidable these days. I'm expecting 6-7GB personally but that's just me being over cautious. Even if it's bigger than that, there's absolutely nothing that can be done about it.

Last edited:
Assasin Creed Unity required a 20 gb patch. Mortal Kombat X had 10-15 gb patch. Huge patches are not that uncommon for AAA games nowadays.

But those games needed huge patches to be playable. This game, I believe, will not. Can't say if it will have a huge patch on Day 1 or down the line, but I have faith the game will not be totally broken without it.

Last edited:
In Badowski's own words, "we are making the product available on all platforms, including consoles, that can work offline - so the player doesn't have to download a day one patch to run the game." To add
further assurance that a day one patch probably won't be necessary, he concluded that future patches will be for "minor repairs, if any at all."

If there is a big day 1 patch that would mean there is something seriously wrong with the game that the big day 1 patch has to fix. If there is a big day 1 patch, offline gamers will lose confidence, trust and faith in CDPR. A big day 1 patch means that most offline gamers can't get it. A big day 1 patch means they shipped a broken product, or so the perception is.

If there is a big day 1 patch that would mean there is something seriously wrong with the game that the big day 1 patch has to fix. If there is a big day 1 patch, offline gamers will lose confidence, trust and faith in CDPR. A big day 1 patch means that most offline gamers can't get it. A big day 1 patch means they shipped a broken product, or so the perception is.
That's really an unfair standard to hold CDPR to. I wouldn't mind the game having a day 1 patch. They've had an extra month now during which I'm sure they would've ironed out a few issues. As long as there aren't game breaking bugs when I play it day 1, patch or not, then I'm happy.

A big day 1 patch means... a big day 1 patch. In 2015 being an "offline gamer" for AAA titles or even budget titles is not a viable option and what DB said - it's not just mere lines of code it's also tons of other assets.

I don't normally do this but I just have to say something. I'm am so tired of seeing people bash gamers for not being online. How is it not acceptable for me to play a great AAA game like the witcher if I don't have the internet? Please help me understand the reasoning behind people believing such a thing...

A big day 1 patch means... a big day 1 patch. In 2015 being an "offline gamer" for AAA titles or even budget titles is not a viable option and what DB said - it's not just mere lines of code it's also tons of other assets.

This. I am expecting a somewhat decent sized day 1 patch. I am wanting a smaller patch but expecting a big one.

Besides a day 1 patch is not about fixing a broken game even though it has been used for that in the past. It's about allowing the devs to push new code, tweaks and polish right up until the very hour of the release date. Then on the release day, compile it into a patch for the most up to date build for those that want an up to date game as possible.

@gidgetpants I believe sid meant that you need the internet to download the patch itself. You don't need to be online to play Witcher 3 otherwise.

The Day 1 patch will be a little hefty in my opinion; not because of the repairs on the code, but because of the first free DLC that will come with it. Also there might be some fixed assets and such included, which will drive its size. As far as we know from various previews (extensive ones too, judging by the Gamestar article) the game is surprisingly stable.

@gidgetpants

It's about the offline PC gamer voice being lost. Well misplaced. PC gaming is just for the online gamer. The online gamer has this keep up or shut up attitude. PC gaming is not PC gaming anymore, it's now mainly Steam gaming.

Offline gamers expect game developers to develop a complete game that has been tested for bugs and game breaking bugs to such a point that you don't ever need a patch.

For some reason, online gamers can't comprehend the offline gamer. When we speak about no drm in retail, online gamers take it as a personal attack against Steam and themselves.
Online gamers only cares about themselves or so it seems. A system can be put into place to cater to the offline gamers and the online gamers. Just look at how The Witcher 3 is being launched. For the offline gamers and the online gamers. But online gamers will not speak out nor support the offline PC gamer.

I will always speak for the offline gamer. It is the way I want to buy games at retail. Just sad that no other publisher really supports the offline gamers. CDPR is supporting the offline gamers and as long as they do that, I will be supporting and buying all of CDPR's games.

Last edited:
I don't normally do this but I just have to say something. I'm am so tired of seeing people bash gamers for not being online. How is it not acceptable for me to play a great AAA game like the witcher if I don't have the internet? Please help me understand the reasoning behind people believing such a thing...

You're provoking offtop disscussion ;] Bad gidgetpans, bad! ;) But since You've asked I' just wanna say that....... *looks around for offtop slayers* You really care? :D Soooooo "vampire trailer video unavailable*!! Just have fun!

I'm not off topic. But...I have no idea what your talking about so you off topic. I imagine your talking gibberish on purpose. @Persei8 I totally agree with you all though I'm just a console gamer. I don't mind patches just as long as the game works well enough out the box. I'm about to beat bloodborne and it had patches and I have no problems. I have full trust in cdpr. They got this.

It's perfectly acceptable to be an offline gamer. There are huge sections of the globe where downloading a >1gb patch might take a week or better and possibly even tie up your only communications line. This is what it means to not have highspeed internet, and there are a /massive/ amount of people who do not.

However, games have gotten to a complexity point where the time between a game 'going gold' and actually arriving on shelves, can result in a large number of bug fixes or optimizations which the Devs simply hadn't foreseen or considered acceptable losses during the release schedule. If we waited for 'bug free' releases, then the games would never come to begin with. There is always a point of diminishing returns,

There is nothing wrong with being a true-to-goodness offline gamer. And for a company like CDPR who doesn't force DRM and says that if you want to play the game in the 'gold' state, then you can absolutely play in the gold state, that means that you can pick the disk up off the shelf, and play that bitch.

It does not mean, however, that the developer should withhold further optimizations or further bug fixes from online-capable gamers simply because some peolple may not have the ability to patch up to the latest version.

There is a different between playing the 'release' version of a game, and those PS4 updates that say 'You must update your system first before we'll allow you to do anything with the console'.

TL:DR

CDPR red will have a better game for you to play than the one that most of the reviewers have been playing so far.

For people with access to internet or thumbdrives, updates will be available to make that shit even better.

For those who pre-downloaded - none. Whatever size it is, it will applied automatically before 05/19. It is called day 1 patch not because it magically appears on Day 1, you know. It will be ready earlier and will be applied/included already. How big it will be - why a hell does it matter? Let's not imply that TW3 will be full of bugs and will need a fix ASAP. I believe CDPR are better than this, and wouldn't allow the game to go gold unless it is completely playable, without any major bugs.

Ok I keep getting talk to like I'm slow or something, hence why I don't normally do this(talk to people on the net) sorry for wasting your and my time....thank you

Ok I keep getting talk to like I'm slow or something, hence why I don't normally do this(talk to people on the net) sorry for wasting your and my time....thank you

The short answer to your actual question is "Because a lot of people can't see beyond their own circumstances, and are inherently assholes and/or douchebags to people whose conditions and mentalities that they can't understand."

@gidgetpants I believe sid meant that you need the internet to download the patch itself. You don't need to be online to play Witcher 3 otherwise.
This pretty much, software complexity is ever increasing and as it so happens games are software and we are all well aware of the scope and magnitude of TW3. Patches are not /becoming/ the norm, they already are the norm so being totally offline and playing a game without any patches is not something that can be done without running into issues.

There will be bugs, there will be some progress breaking bugs - no avoiding it. You can test extensively but the chance for rare bugs is always there and the more number of people playing, the more the chances of finding such things. So what may not have been found before may appear now with millions of people using said software.

I'm not talking about always staying online or anything of the sort but patches.

Last edited:
Top Bottom