The Witcher 3 - Visuals

+
Status
Not open for further replies.

Attachments

• Sans titre-2.jpg
    Sans titre-2.jpg
    383.1 KB · Views: 55
Well, in all other aspects of life, you would simply not buy the product. I find it amusing that that's never an option with games for most people.

The purpose of criticism is to facilitate change. That's never going to happen here, so what's the point? Just to make a big noise? Job well done.

As I've said a number of times on a number of forums whenever someone posts a comparison, none of this means a damn thing until we see the exact same location, at the exact same time of day (which is why your lovely crack doesn't look the same), in the final retail product, in order to judge just how much of a "downgrade" there's been.

You have no way of knowing if that screen was taken yesterday or two years ago. We've seen locations in other screens of that same level of low fidelity that look noticeably better in later videos and screenshots. An upgrade, not a downgrade. You're going to look a right tit if the final game ends up looking exactly like the pic on top.

So if people don't like something, but are aware that it most likely won't change they shouldn't speak up? That's ridiculous, everyone has a voice and the right to use it. If you want to interpret concerns as noise, go ahead.
The lighting looks near similar which is why I chose to make the comparison. If the lack of detail on the wall actually turns out to be something related to the lighting, fair game. The removal of the stones used on the edges and the poorly placed grass isn't going to change at night or during the day.
And once again, I saw the screenshot and saw a change. All I did was point it out. Never once did I mention a downgrade in my original post or now. If the game ends up looking like the top image, fair game again. But at this point I doubt that's going to be the case and I doubt I'm going to look like anything if I'm proven wrong or right.

I think the main thing that bothers me really badly is the grass, it just kills me in all these new screenshots. It's way too clumpy and way too flat at the bottom where it meets the ground, like you can see the clumpy line on the bottom of the grass where it meets the ground texture everywhere. It visually looks fake compared to everything else around it. It just doesn't meld with anything appropriately in my honest opinion. If we could get the grass back from earlier screens or even something like gta 5's grass on "high" setting looks miles better than what they've implemented. I can only imagine it was an optimization decision but seriously, the grass looks bad in this game.

I really hope we can mod the grass. Even if a grass mod didn't work with the wind effects afterwards, I'd take it over this current grass. It just looks fake to me, and it stands out badly when everything else looks pretty damn good in some of these screenshots http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/34360-Witcher-3-Screenshots-and-Artwork/page3

This one in particular kills me.https://scontent-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/h...5_10152937396559331_4965878422242611151_o.jpg

It looks like plastic clumpy fake grass and it stands out bad. It's way too fat at the bottom and forms a visible line where it meets the ground texture, I can't get over how bad it looks.

I'd be happy with everything in these screenies but for the love of god someone make a grass mod for this game asap please.

Last edited:
Well, in all other aspects of life, you would simply not buy the product. I find it amusing that that's never an option with games for most people.

The purpose of criticism is to facilitate change. That's never going to happen here, so what's the point? Just to make a big noise? Job well done.

I hate to break it to you, but after REDkit comes out, all bets are off. This game is going to get the same treatment that Skyrim got, and there are going to be countless tweaks and improvements over the next several years.

Nothing wrong with pointing out what's going to need fixing now, especially if it will take a lot less work for reds to pull some textures back into place than it would for a modder to create some new ones from scratch.

Also, there have been a couple (the one that comes to mind is the brick wall at the nilfgaard camp) graphical glitches and problems identified by this community that the developers seemed more than happy to address. It's a huge game, one, or even 250 sets of eyes isn't going to catch everything. It takes a much larger community for that.

What bugs me most is the removal of those assets. I mean seriously we saw the better assets in play at one point. Why take them out? Hopefully they left some residual stuff in the main game.

Yes, dynamic lights will illuminate various objects in the scene, but if the dynamic lights do not cast proper shadows from the illuminated objects in the scene, then the whole thing can look fake.
These are small touches that can make a great deal of a difference in the end. It's not a problem for me, just sometimes some things can look out of place without the proper shadows, no matter how well lit those things are.

Yes, about visuals you are right. But this is not small touches. One of the biggest performans killer is the dynamic shadows. So DEVs everytime must compramise a bit of dynamic shadows. Especially in openworld game.

I have no doubt that modders will fix it, just like they do with every game. Remember the awful PC port of Dark Souls and how amazing it looked with the DSFix applied?

It's just sad that CDPR - once the poster child for PC-centric game development - has now gone the way of every AAA studio and is catering to the lowest common denominator, but I guess it was inevitable for the company's long-term survival.

I honestly hope this isn't the case. And CDP Red's response, along with their moderators, hasn't been encouraging :( If they hadn't downgraded it, logically, they would have a huge press release emphasizing that the PC version isn't downgraded given all the speculation here. The lack of any response worries me. I'd also like to point out that maybe W3 preorders might not be impacted because of the hype and anticipation for this game, but a clear downgrade in the final product will affect Cyberpunk 2077 sales. It surely will impact my decision to preorder 2077 as well as buying the expansion to the W3.

If they did run out of time/money, they could say "OK guys, we ran out of time/money/resources and had to remove some of the features we originally envisioned from the PC version, but we'll make it up with the enhanced edition with higher res textures, and more graphical options put in." It would be a classy action by CDPred - very few companies acknowledge their mistakes, and even fewer fix them. CDPred did do similar things in the past - e.g. DRM in W2.

Edit: The fact that they haven't locked this thread is a good sign though.
Also, Watch Dogs downgrade as an example of negative publicity. Though Ubisoft doesn't have much of a reputation to lose these days :p

Last edited:
The forum rules are still the same, by the way. A post was just deleted.

And a question regarding those Nvidia screenshots. Does anyone have a link to the actual Nvidia source? (Not the various sites that reported it, but something from either Nvidia or Geforce). I can only find the other screenshots at the Geforce site, not the two that attracted all of the attention.

I'm not going to argue that they're good, but I am still trying to get any evidence that they're from builds from this year.

Do you expect official response just like that without thinking or contacting nVidia first or in the middle of the night in Poland? Just because we produce shitload of post do not mean that we will get response so fast, wasting time on forum make it look like much time passed.

Also do you remember how long some press used alpha version of geralt look for articles about Witcher two. It may be old build nVidia had because of their partnership.

Last edited:

And a question regarding those Nvidia screenshots. Does anyone have a link to the actual Nvidia source? (Not the various sites that reported it, but something from either Nvidia or Geforce). I can only find the other screenshots at the Geforce site, not the two that attracted all of the attention.

I'm not going to argue that they're good, but I am still trying to get any evidence that they're from builds from this year.

Several people reported that Nvidia removed these screenshots, though I'm not sure if that's true.
I've been looking for them as well...

The direct links to the screenshots are actually still good. (These are the same ones Kinley is using in the official screenshot thread). Please note that there is a certificate error because Nvidia's screenshot server identifies itself incorrectly.

https://international.download.nvid...-3-wild-hunt-nvidia-gameworks-hbao-plus-1.jpg

https://international.download.nvid...-3-wild-hunt-nvidia-gameworks-hairworks-1.jpg

Several people reported that Nvidia removed these screenshots, though I'm not sure if that's true.

I think they did remove it because the link from the Novigrad's entrance is not working anymore.

---------- Updated at 04:25 AM ----------

The direct links to the screenshots are actually still good. (These are the same ones Kinley is using in the official screenshot thread). Please note that there is a certificate error because Nvidia's screenshot server identifies itself incorrectly.

https://international.download.nvid...-3-wild-hunt-nvidia-gameworks-hbao-plus-1.jpg

https://international.download.nvid...-3-wild-hunt-nvidia-gameworks-hairworks-1.jpg

For some reason i cant click on those links, i get this message instead

Your connection is not private

Attackers might be trying to steal your information from international.download.nvidia.com (for example, passwords, messages or credit cards). NET::ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID

Now is that happening only for me?

I think they did remove it because the link from the Novigrad's entrance is not working anymore.

---------- Updated at 04:25 AM ----------

For some reason i cant click on those links, i get this message instead

Your connection is not private

Attackers might be trying to steal your information from international.download.nvidia.com (for example, passwords, messages or credit cards). NET::ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID

I did mention explcitly that there was a certificate error due to mis-validation.

The server the that the images are stored on identifies itself with a certificate issued to: a248.e.akamai.net

Further research shows that this misconfiguration is being aided/caused by use of the HTTPS Everywhere plugin.

Source: https://www.eff.org/https-everywhere/atlas/domains/nvidia.com.html

Update: Turning off the Nvidia(partial) rule in https everywhere, and then forcing the links to run as http gives you a direct link through to the nvidia site, no certificate errors or warnings.

Last edited:

Yup, the direct links work, but after asking around, I think they were originally on this page:
http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/ar...witcher-3-wild-hunt-nvidia-geforce-gtx-bundle
and then removed.

To be honest, my guess is that someone in Nvidia's PR fucked up and included year-old images, only to get screamed at afterwards.

I'm not going to disagree with everyone who things those two shots are crap. But I'd prefer to judge based on content known to be current. I think that the comparison of those walls actually has "Old" and "New" the wrong way round.

(Incidentally, there's no real need for anyone to click on those image links. They are, as stated, the two images that everyone's been talking about)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom