TW3 Save game import

+
So according to several people on Neogaf forums the following questions are asked in game on non-imported saves:

Killed Aryan at the siege in the prologue or let him live
Joined Vernon or Iorveth
Helped Vernon/Iorveth or Triss at the end
Killed/Saved Sile
Killed/Didn't kill Letho

We currently do not know what, if anything extra is added from imported saves.

You would expect that the fate of Henselt/Stennis would also be in the options...

Or Saskia... but apparently those won't make a come-back, and Kaedwen is lost no matter what.

I don't have my saves anymore, so I'm gonna use those questions, and I'm tempted to "cheat" by changing one decision...

I saved Sile. I think I'll stick to that, but I still have doubts about this decision. Which is a great thing, of course ;)

We currently do not know what, if anything extra is added from imported saves.

That's the real question right there, because otherwise, why would they even bother with a save import system on PC if every transferable story point could also be set as such in-game? :blink:

That's the real question right there, because otherwise, why would they even bother with a save import system on PC if every transferable story point could also be set as such in-game? :blink:

Yup, thats what interests me most tbh. Other than the tattoo, what else, if anything is the benefit to importing a save.

@Scryar
Well he IS in SoD trailer after all so all directions points to the fact that he will help Geralt in some form or fashion..else he wouldn't be beside Vesemir, Lambert & Eskel

Yup, thats what interests me most tbh. Other than the tattoo, what else, if anything is the benefit to importing a save.

It would be great if someone from the dev team took 2 minutes to make a sticky FAQ with this information! :cheers:

@Scryar
Well he IS in SoD trailer after all so all directions points to the fact that he will help Geralt in some form or fashion..else he wouldn't be beside Vesemir, Lambert & Eskel

That trailer is about a year old. You newer know what might have changed
and it's great to see we will meet him again. Imo one of the best written characters of the series

Or Saskia... but apparently those won't make a come-back, and Kaedwen is lost no matter what.

Triss choice in act 3 includes Saskia so I'm expecting to see or not see her depending on my choice tho fuck, these questions are binary, Saskia can be at 3 different states in the end :/

And no mention of Henselt or Stennis... I'm starting to worry. They might have killed them off(if they were alive at the end of W2) in the war or something? Ok I'm worried, hope save files are more effective than this interrogation.

Yeah, I too think that it would be little weird if King of Kaedwen or Prince of Aedirn being alive or not has no significant consequence.

Even if the story would dictate that they fall at the Nilfgaardian war later if not killed in Witcher 2, there still should have some variable mention about that at least.

What this really means is that many choices will default to 'cannon'. Stennis and Lerado/Flotsom are perfect examples. On Roche's path Lerado dies. On Iorveth there is a choice but it is much easier to program that you decided to kill him instead of saving the elf women. Why go through all the trouble and programming to have two different Flotsam's in the game?

Same can be said for Stennis. He's automatically dead in Roche's path. So it's much easier to make that cannon.

This same logic can apply to even Henselt and what you make Roche do. in other words your W2 is ignored and the choice is made for you. I'm betting this is what will actually happen.

The other possibility is that these characters will have little to no impact on W3 and may not even appear in the game.

EDIT: Here's a perfect example. Adda from W1. Yes it was imported but it had no real impact on W2 and the default was that she died.

So no choice about Saskia, Stennis or Henselt, how disappointing.

Then again for TW3 they've made Radovid as the only ruler left standing in a way that make sense regardless of past decisions.

Last edited:
No there is a choice about Saskia. But Saskia has two decisions. Let her live or kill her and of course Triss or break spell.

Now we know for a fact that in W2 if you break the spell that Saskia will live. That means the game MUST program this option in. In the other three choices you can pick to kill her or not. But if she lives she is controlled by Sile/Phillipa. So to me what this means is the real difference is not if she lives but is she controlled.

It is much easier to program in that she lives then to program in no Saskia, Saskia controlled and Saskia alive and free.

The name of the horse in The Witcher 3 is named after the person who rescues you from prison?
Must be clear that he is the right choice to follow if you name a horse after him, no?

Just figured out it was Roche and not Roach.

I'm pretty pleased about what is going to transfer across, at least based on that video. It seems like practically everything I assumed they'd let you bring across, they are.

I don't have a single issue with them making a "canon" decision in regards to Henselt/Stennis, and I personally believe they'll just go down the route of them both being dead. Even if you chose not to kill Henselt/Stennis in TW2, ultimately there's 6 months between 2 > 3, and a lot can happen in 6 months. They could have both been assassinated, or died in the early battle/s when the invasion began. So both of them being dead seems like the safe bet, and I really don't see how anyone could be upset by that. The Witcher isn't Mass Effect (And not even Mass Effect pulled off what it stated it was trying to do), and having Henselt and/or Stennis alive/dead would just add way too many large scale variables and complications.

Nothing there directly about Ves, but I assume if we see Roche it'll mean closure on Ves's situation (We don't even need to see her, just a couple lines of dialogue from Roche would be enough to confirm the matter of a possible swollen belly). Otherwise it seems like they've ticked all the minor, but still very interesting boxes.

However first I'm importing a Iorveth playthrough, and now I have to make the utterly heart-wrenching decision, and the only one I'm truly troubled by, of whether to Save Triss, or Free Saskia, especially now that I know both choices could lead to something in The Witcher 3. I know which way I should go, based on what Geralt would do, but fucking oath I'm still torn.

I'm pretty pleased about what is going to transfer across, at least based on that video. It seems like practically everything I assumed they'd let you bring across, they are.

I don't have a single issue with them making a "canon" decision in regards to Henselt/Stennis, and I personally believe they'll just go down the route of them both being dead. Even if you chose not to kill Henselt/Stennis in TW2, ultimately there's 6 months between 2 > 3, and a lot can happen in 6 months. They could have both been assassinated, or died in the early battle/s when the invasion began. So both of them being dead seems like the safe bet, and I really don't see how anyone could be upset by that. The Witcher isn't Mass Effect (And not even Mass Effect pulled off what it stated it was trying to do), and having Henselt and/or Stennis alive/dead would just add way too many large scale variables and complications.

Nothing there directly about Ves, but I assume if we see Roche it'll mean closure on Ves's situation (We don't even need to see her, just a couple lines of dialogue from Roche would be enough to confirm the matter of a possible swollen belly). Otherwise it seems like they've ticked all the minor, but still very interesting boxes.

However first I'm importing a Iorveth playthrough, and now I have to make the utterly heart-wrenching decision, and the only one I'm truly troubled by, of whether to Save Triss, or Free Saskia, especially now that I know both choices could lead to something in The Witcher 3. I know which way I should go, based on what Geralt would do, but fucking oath I'm still torn.

Well, I could tell you something about Ves, but I don't want to spoil it :)

Top Bottom