Analysis: With Witcher 3 CDPR no longer treat the players like adults [SPOILERS]

+
Haven't been on the forums for several months and I see my analysis still getting support even after being buried in other threads several times. Thanks, people. I'm glad that my vision appeared to be not just me being too picky but resonates with many other players. I think, I ought to publish another analysis related to the Harts of Stone expansion... which is great by the way. Will do soon.

Why do I care if the game is still the best CRPG ever made despite being teenage targeted? Well, because there are very few games exist that expect a player to be an adult. Besides the previous witcher games (TW2 being more mature than TW1) there are no RPG's that I'm aware of are serious and adult oriented and I want more of them. And with the witcher 3 CDPR did not deliver on their promises to keep the series adult oriented.

Can Enhanced Edition improve all or some of those points? It is possible. Of course, when CDPR decides to make EE update they should also consider all other issues with the game such as lack of proper TW2 continuity, abrupt ending of Triss' content, crappy inventory interface (yes, CDPR, you did it again: made crappy inventory management upon release third time in a row), inconsistencies and bad design of the game last part, and other problems discussed in other threads. I agree to pay for such EE expansion as for the full game if it'll bring all what's missing in. CDPR, you have a lot of fans due to your style of business where you care about players too in the form of EE versions of your games, it's not too late to do that again and we're counting on you. Personally, I would like to have EE edition with all issues resolved more than any of the planned expansions.

------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks you if you managed to read it all. I hope it was worth your time. Your comments with clear argumentation are welcome.

Everything you said I agree with, but especially these last two paragraphs. No arguing TW3 is a superb game, one of the best made, but the lack of continuity, dumbed-down politics, tamed content are reasons I would have quit playing if not for the sake of closure. I only continue to role-play Geralt and Triss ending up together.

There once was a day when I would have bought any CD Projekt game without thought. That day passed when I played TW3 and can only be resurrected if the EE addresses the shortfalls.

Quite ironic given the game's overall superiority.

I mean guys, let's try to make order.
TW3 is a great game, is better than near everyone else, about graphics, models, storyline, characters and so one. Making comparison with Inquisition is just heretical at best, that voided and dumb and childish game of bioware. But on the other hand TW3 is the child of compromise, let's face it. There were even great promises for it, and these ones went unfulfilled. Many characters have disappeared, some themes are now "very less adult and mature", there are various plotholes or supposed ones, they built up great characters (especially females but males too) who came to be loved by people (Triss and Shani) who ended up a bit uncomplete, we can say.There are some nonsenses storywise, I think about Dijkstra, who comes from genius and charismatic spy to retarded plotter, Radovid going from Machiavelli to Hitler for nearly no reason, Ciri morally better and white than in books and so on. So, it's still a masterpiece, but a masterpiece which have missed some points and objectives. It's undeniable. BTW, the dlcs are great by now. Very very good CDPR.

I mean guys, let's try to make order.
TW3 is a great game, is better than near everyone else, about graphics, models, storyline, characters and so one.

Don't agree. Just make the comparison with TW2 or the Mass Effect saga and, in terms of story, consistency and save import, it's obvious that they are better. IMO, there are only two aspects where TW3 is better than any other game: the graphics and the details of the NPC (women cleaning, men working the fields, etc) and even this could be criticized because in a war time there are no clashes between the two main forces

Don't agree. Just make the comparison with TW2 or the Mass Effect saga and, in terms of story, consistency and save import, it's obvious that they are better. IMO, there are only two aspects where TW3 is better than any other game: the graphics and the details of the NPC (women cleaning, men working the fields, etc) and even this could be criticized because in a war time there are no clashes between the two main forces

idk man, mass effect 1,2,3 storytelling is very linear and writing is mediocre at best. W3 is better than W2 in every way except some things like alchemy or main story line because side quests are better in Witcher 3.

Guest 3847602

idk man, mass effect 1,2,3 storytelling is very linear and writing is mediocre at best. W3 is better than W2 in every way except some things like alchemy or main story line because side quests are better in Witcher 3.

Correct! :thumbup: Most of the time save import in ME games is about whether character X dies and gets replaced with character Y, or character X appears in the sequel. Major decisions are dealt very similarly as in TW3:
You've killed Rachni Queen in ME1 - doesn't matter, Reapers finds another one. Anderson became the councilor in ME1 - tough luck, it's Udina in ME3. You've destroyed the collector base - Cerberus recovers Reaper tech, anyway. You didn't play Arrival DLC (and you didn't blow up the Mass Relay) - you're grounded at the start of ME3, because reasons.
That doesn't mean that I'm satisfied with how my choices were reflected in TW3, but to say that Bioware did it any better is simply not true.

Last edited by a moderator:
Side quests in TW3 are a repetitive routine of pressing X to WITCHER SENSE and follow tracks
This is one of the more offensive dumbed-down-for-kids aspects in TW3

Side quests in TW3 are a repetitive routine of pressing X to WITCHER SENSE and follow tracks
This is one of the more offensive dumbed-down-for-kids aspects in TW3
very true. all quests are designed with that certain mindeset. the game always hand hold you, even when you don't want to ! it's not optional ! D:
you're like a kid being guided by an adult telling you what to do so that you don't get lost. therefore, you're more of a spectator, rather than an active person in the world. this is TES IV:Oblivion all over again :scared:

Last edited:

I don't share your opinion. I wouldn't say that ME is a lineal game. It's just the same story through three games rather than standalone games. That's why it's called ME1, ME2 and ME3. That's logical for me.

---------- Updated at 11:23 PM ----------

You've killed Rachni Queen in ME1 - doesn't matter, Reapers finds another one. Anderson became the councilor in ME1 - tough luck, it's Udina in ME3. You've destroyed the collector base - Cerberus recovers Reaper tech, anyway. You didn't play Arrival DLC (and you didn't blow up the Mass Relay) - you're grounded at the start of ME3, because reasons.

I would rather something similar to this than almost any consequence like it happened in TW3 in the end. For me, that's a good save import. A really good one in fact. The best that I've seen in a RPG game. And obviously, it was more complicate than that

Im just sitting here amazed that people have the mental drive to notice and point out all these intricacies.

Im gonna go with unpopular opinion and say that CDPR dumbed things down just right, retaining enough obscenity to still be recognisable as the series, yet prudified enough to not alienate certain newcomers.

Il agree with you on the "0-dimensional Eredin" thing tho. Dude had discount Sauron written all over him.

Last edited:
Also, Mass Effect 1 story is as nonlinear as TW3's as both follow the same pattern of prologue>three isolated leads to uncover a mystery which finally connect in a contrived sort of way>ending.
I'd even go as to say that ME1 story is less linear because it doesn't railroad you through high enemy levels

I would rather something similar to this than almost any consequence like it happened in TW3 in the end. For me, that's a good save import. A really good one in fact. The best that I've seen in a RPG game. And obviously, it was more complicate than that

Agree with this.

There are a few things i ended up "hating" about The Mass Effect series, specially the ending, but all things considered their save import was superior to the one we have in The Witcher, sure it was not perfect, but at least it recognised way more choises and did not simply ignored others(let thaler die in W1, get him alive in W2 and 3 never the less).

Very very few are. Quests in TW2 are infinitely more varied in their challenge and context than in TW3
Not true. Most quests in the Witcher 2 are variations of "Open your map, look at the quest marker, follow quest-marker to the objective." I challenge you to name the odd few quests that are different. There are no open-ended quests with multiple paths to the objective like there were in TW1.

---------- Updated at 12:27 PM ----------

Some of them are, but it is more prevalent and annoying in TW3.
Most are. But I agree it is more prevalent in TW3.

You can't make a big game without trying to please the audience. Just imagine what people like Anita Sarkeesian and other social justice warriors would do to a more adult, brutal and realistic version of Witcher 3. I mean CDPR has grown big, and its audience now is wider and different from what it used to be, so if you want to grow there are some compromises to make, this is business after all and I am glad that on top of that the management realizes that with the growth comes new moral and ethical responsibilities. Even less provoking current story caused some controversy in the masses, so you just can't blame devs – blame mindless pretentious people, who are disgusted with their own reflection; or don't do that, if you want to be rational and mature, because blame has never really fixed anything.
Witcher 3 couldn't be as adult as the previous games, simply because now it has wider audience and the community has changed since the old days. Deal with it. Grow up or something. Witcher 2 had better characters and better main story, we got that, but Witcher 3 is still an amazing game, which quality and artistic value surpasses the quality of the previous games, and yes it sacrificed a little of its personality, but because these sacrifices were necessary.

Politics was really screwed up in Witcher 3, but I believe it was a consequence of the 2 part, which had too many variables in the final outcome as well as it is hard to implement complex politics into an open world game about the guy, who kills monsters for money and seeks for over powered lesbian girl at the same time. But, jeez, the game is so fucking awesome even with all these flaws: I just couldn't stop playing it for may be two weeks or so, and it seemed like an endless adventure without an end, which was beautiful and stunning with all these shivers, when you ride through forest during the rain and wind just bends the birches all around you, it was just simply gorgeous.

Last edited:
Not true. Most quests in the Witcher 2 are variations of "Open your map, look at the quest marker, follow quest-marker to the objective." I challenge you to name the odd few quests that are different. There are no open-ended quests with multiple paths to the objective like there were in TW1.

---------- Updated at 12:27 PM ----------

Most are. But I agree it is more prevalent in TW3.
With pleasure:
- All contracts: the player must gain enough knowledge of the monster in question and then explore the surrounding area on his own to find the things he needs to destroy (With the gargoyles contract even shoving a nice puzzles in it)
- Secrets of Loc Muinne: Challenging puzzles and multiple outcomes
- Death: Symbolized: You can actually trick the ghost if you have listened well to a previous dialogue and if you have certian items

I could go on though

With pleasure:
- All contracts: the player must gain enough knowledge of the monster in question and then explore the surrounding area on his own to find the things he needs to destroy
True, the game doesn't tell you where to find items. But it does tell you exactly what you need to find. It also marks the location of the monster's lair on your map. So no - you don't need to search them out.

- Secrets of Loc Muinne: Challenging puzzles and multiple outcomes

I could go on though
Great. One side quest. Bravo.
- Death: Symbolized: You can actually trick the ghost if you have listened well to a previous dialogue and if you have certain items
Yeah, Witcher 3 also has quests with branching dialogue that changes the outcome. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom