Book illustrations

+
Book illustrations

Hi, I'd like to share illustrations from books about Witcher here.

These are from cz version. By description from the books, they are created by Jana Komárková. If you have some another images from books, I hope, you will also let us look.
I hope there isn't already topic like this and it's not against board rules. I tried to find contact on her, but I wasn't succesfull.

Some pictures from Last wish - if you will like them, I'll post more of them.

Visenna

Renfri

Pavetta

Geralt, Marigold

Geralt, Adda

Foltest

Calanthé

Yennefer

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing these illustrations.
I haven't seen them before and the depiction of queen Calanthe looks amazing. :)

I am glad, you like that, so another from Last wish (I think that book has most illustrations).

:hatsoff:

Geralt and Yennefer

Duny

Visenna and Korin

Torque

Stregobor

Renfri

Nivellen, Geralt

Lille, Geralt, Marigold

Last edited:
In the first pic we can admire an "happy moment" Lol.
Duny is exactly like I've imagined him. So Stregobor. And the last pic... oh my God I laughed so hard when I read that part for the first time :p

Again, great illustrations! Thanks a lot for sharing them! :)

Jaskier is translated "Ranuncolo" in italian xD It's a literally translation, well, it's a flower after all.

Triss Ranuncul? :D
I guess that the czech translator chosed "Ranuncul" instead of "Merigold" to not confuse her with Marigold (or whatever its translation is)

Thank you for sharing.
Something that surprises me about the characters of The Witcher books is how recognizable they are when interpreted by diferent artists. I guess it comes to show how good a writer Sapkowski is with descriptions.

Synvael said:
Jaskier is translated "Ranuncolo" in italian xD It's a literally translation, well, it's a flower after all.

Triss Ranuncul? :D/>/>/>
I guess that the czech translator chosed "Ranuncul" instead of "Merigold" to not confuse her with Marigold (or whatever its translation is)
I have read about it somewhere. Short stories were translated into Czech well before the novels have been even created. Jaskier got changed into Marigold for the same reason he got his Dandelion nickname - the literal translation did not fit the character.
Only after that, Sapkowski introduced Triss Merigold, giving Czech translator a headache. Sapkowski being as he is, he must have done it on purpose...

Well in The Sword of Destiny Triss Merigold is mentioned, so maybe the real reason is this:
pomor said:
Jaskier got changed into Marigold for the same reason he got his Dandelion nickname - the literal translation did not fit the character.

And maybe not this :p
pomor said:
I have read about it somewhere. Short stories were translated into Czech well before the novels have been even created. (...)
Only after that, Sapkowski introduced Triss Merigold, giving Czech translator a headache. Sapkowski being as he is, he must have done it on purpose...
Because Sapkowski had already "introduced" her. :p
Anyway the first novel was published in 1994, The Sword of Destiny in 1992, so not many years had passed.
I repeat: maybe. Where did you read that? (I'm curious)

pomor said:
Something that surprises me about the characters of The Witcher books is how recognizable they are when interpreted by diferent artists. I guess it comes to show how good a writer Sapkowski is with descriptions.
I agree :D Just a look at the images and you will recognize the characters or the scene.

sfinxCZ said:
Hi, I'd like to share illustrations from books about Witcher here.

These are from cz version. By description from the books, they are created by Jana Komárková. If you have some another images from books, I hope, you will also let us look.
I hope there isn't already topic like this and it's not against board rules. I tried to find contact on her, but I wasn't succesfull.

Some pictures from Last wish - if you will like them, I'll post more of them.
Visenna

Renfri

Pavetta

Geralt, Marigold
Geralt, Adda

Foltest

Calanthé

Yennefer

Thats fantastic buddy! Thanks millions for the share. If you have more please share :-D

Characters like Geralt and Yennefer are recognizable in these and other drawings because they have very distinct features. So yes, the descriptions in the books are good but come on, they don't have a lot of look a likes. If Geralt were skinnier and dressed like a gay barbarian we would only confuse him with Elric of Melnibone. It's not like there are so many white wolves out there.

Anyway, thanks for sharing. Those are good drawings, hope the author won't mind.

cmdrsilverbolt said:
Spoiler for Nilfgaard emperor and TW3.
I would like to see Duny's curse in the game, don't care how it happens.
Also Adda's curse could return, so why not? ;)

About Triss/Dandelion - I am not sure why, but I can't imaginate him as "Dandelion" - I read somewhere, english version has problems with "Buttercup" or something like that, because that name is better for woman, also Dandelion sound in czech like very soft.. Maybe Jaskier would be better, but Marigold is perfect :)
I also think they created name of Jaskier and then they have to do something with Triss' name.
BTW: One of two translators was Stanislav Komárek (husband of Jana - illustrator), maybe I will ask him, when I find contact.

And now Times of Contempt:
Ciri and Viverna

Ciri, Geralt, Philippa, Terranova

Yennefer and Geralt, Philippa, maybe Dijkstra and Sabrina??

Thanedd

Rats

Probably Dandelion waiting on Geralt in Brokylon, but I am not sure about that woman

Unicorns, maybe Falka and Ciri

Also not sure, but maybe Geralt and Wild hunt

I am sorry, but I can't post images in right order (of books) - I don't scan them, so I have to search for electronic versions of books. But some of them are not illustrated.

Last edited:
cmdrsilverbolt said:
Spoiler for Nilfgaard emperor and TW3.

I would like to see Duny's curse in the game, don't care how it happens.

Ive been thinking, what if the curse is genetic and her daughter gets it?

Top Bottom