Building a gaming PC

+
Just gave my rig the litmus test: TW2 with all settings max and ubersampling at 60 FPS....hoooooly fuck o_O. I feel like one of the apes touching the obelisk in 2001. Curiously, I didn't get over 60 FPS with ubersampling disabled. Anyone got recommendations for apps for GPU and CPU temps?

Hey guys, I have a favor to ask if you would.

I need to update my video card for, guess what, the Witcher 3.
But I can't for the life of me decide which card to get. Please keep in mind that I am operating on a limited budget, 400$ is the absolute limit and I'd still prefer it to be under 300. I would like to play on high settings, but they do not need to be at maximum either.

I checked recommended video cards for TW3 and GTX760 was recommended, except many seem to review it poorly and that it is not worth the cost? I really have no idea, and I would appreciate any advice you can give (and if you can provide links to online stores that are both reliable and affordable, that would be fantastic).

If it is any help, here are my system specs:
Intel Core i5-3570k CPU @ 3.40GHz, 8 GB

But I can't for the life of me decide which card to get. Please keep in mind that I am operating on a limited budget, 400$ is the absolute limit and I'd still prefer it to be under 300. I would like to play on high settings, but they do not need to be at maximum either.

I checked recommended video cards for TW3 and GTX760 was recommended, except many seem to review it poorly and that it is not worth the cost? I really have no idea, and I would appreciate any advice you can give (and if you can provide links to online stores that are both reliable and affordable, that would be fantastic).

Post in the BSN TW3 thread as well. I got the most immediate feedback there. This forum, is slow. Full of knowledgeable folks but you don't have much time mate.

Just gave my rig the litmus test: TW2 with all settings max and ubersampling at 60 FPS....hoooooly fuck o_O. I feel like one of the apes touching the obelisk in 2001. Curiously, I didn't get over 60 FPS with ubersampling disabled. Anyone got recommendations for apps for GPU and CPU temps?

Turn off v-sync.

Under $300 won't get you a GTX 970, which seems to be the consensus choice. You can get one if you're willing to go up to about $400 Canadian.

For well under $300, you could get an nVidia GTX 960 or AMD R9 285. What we just don't know yet is how well second-tier cards like that will do at high settings. They're a good match for an Ivy Bridge Core i5 though.

Maybe in four years you'll be able to do the same with TW3.

Dumb question time.

How much does RAM speed make a difference these days? I'm using DDR3-1333 that must be seven or eight years old now. Would anything actually improve if I upgraded?

RAM speed makes a smaller difference in performance than the CPU or GPU do. The amount of RAM does make a difference, because RAM is there to keep from having to reread data from the much slower disk. The "TL; DR" version is RAM speed makes little difference in gaming unless the game is CPU-bound. Since most games are not CPU-bound, it usually makes little difference.

Actual RAM speed hasn't advanced much in years. Almost all the gains in RAM bandwidth have come from multiplexing and running more clock cycles per access. This gain becomes significant when you are running CPU-bound workloads. It is less important when there are other bottlenecks, especially the slower transfer over the PCI-e bus between system RAM and VRAM.

To analyze it more deeply, there are three transactions that dominate memory use:

CPU reads and writes between RAM and L3 (or L2) cache. The CPU doesn't read memory directly; it loads memory into cache, then reads the cache. Cache reads are in lines of 64 (sometimes 128 ) bytes. Because they're accesses to consecutive memory addresses, RAM is designed to allow these to be streamed at its full bandwidth. This is where, say, DDR3-1600 outperforms DDR3-1333 and why DDR4 is such an important advance.

PCI-Express reads and writes between system RAM and peripherals (especially GPU VRAM). These are also in long lines of consecutive addresses, but they're limited by the much slower speed of the PCI-e bus.

SATA reads and writes between system RAM and SATA peripherals (SSD, HDD). These are limited by the speed of the peripheral, which is many times slower than RAM even for SSD. It's important to avoid these as much as possible in high-performance systems. But because the speed of RAM is not limiting here, it's more important to have enough RAM and an operating system that knows how to use it.

An R9 290 should be within you budget and gives you the most performance per dollar.

€ I'm not familiar with prices in Canada unfortunately, might be a 290 is above 300 canadian dollars.

Last edited:

What is your power supply?

I recommend either GTX 970 or r9 290/290X.

GTX 970's weakness is the VRAM allocation (instead of 4GB you have roughly 3.5GB @ 192GB/s and 0.5GB @ 28GB/s)

r9 290/x are more power hungry and thus run hotter. And if you're going with an AMD card you might not be able to take advantage of the Nvidia features (like hairworks) in the game. Also AMD have had some driver issues lately:

Which honestly makes it hard to recommend them right now imo. Can't really say for 100% certainty that if you're planning on playing the game day 1, you'll have a smooth time doing so.

Last edited:
ill chime in and say go for nvidia, AMD cards are very well made and tend to be a lot cheaper but their fucking drivers are under all critique.

ill chime in and say go for nvidia, AMD cards are very well made and tend to be a lot cheaper but their fucking drivers are under all critique.

That's exactly why I changed from AMD to Nvidia some years ago. Changed the processor now from AMD to intel, too. Best desicions ever I have to say.

Thanks for the answers guys!

I think I might get a GTX960, from this site (as I can't afford a 970):
http://www.pcczone.com/computer-parts/video-cards/powered-by-nvidia
If you scroll down a bit, you can find them.

But they have several GTX960s, all around 250$. Is there a specific one you recommend over the others (as I have no idea what the difference between them is)?

The only problem I see with the 960 is its 2GB of VRAM which is becoming the minimum requirement for new games.

Top Bottom