Chris Priestly got hired by CDPR, when did that happen?

+
That depends quite a lot on the games. In my experience, certain forums attract certain people. Some forums remain quite good even for new games.

It depends on a lot of factors, including the games involved, as you say, but also the age range on the forum, the average maturity level (those 2 things aren't the same), and the behaviour of official and semi-official members. We are of course going to get an influx, and many will be temporary only some staying on. This forum also has a lot - I'm assuming because it seems to be a tradition - of lurkers who will hopefully begin to post more but bring with them a knowledge of "our better angels" as it were. All in all it's likely to be mad, but I'm hopeful we can maintain something of the quality we have here, but it will take all of our efforts and no small application of patience.

On the BSN posts: The first example is a bit harsh. Coming off on that to a loyal yet economical consumer was a bit brash. But I don't know how bad things can get over there.

You're being very diplomatic here mate. For my part I appreciate Blothulfurs words on this, and I agree completely, so theres no need for me to repeat it. But if I see the like of it happen here, I'll be gone if the perpetrator isn't shifted sharpish.

Say what you will about Bioware, and anyone who knows me on this boards is well aware of how badly I view them as a company, one thing that they did which CDPR has rarely done is engage on the forums with their community.

As someone who never really bothered with BSN, can you inform me of what was done so well by them over there?

Last edited:
Diplomacy is first and foremost the key to civility among many other things.
@Blothulfur isn't wrong and nor do I disagree with him. The poster of the question of the dlc for ME3 was very intellectual in his post of whether or not the dlc was worth the money only to be insulted by the community manager. This is something I hope and do not expect to see here from him. In all things I usually look at things in a pessimistic/realist light, here I'll in the middle, maybe with a hint of optimism.

I dunno' as far as community engagement goes elsewhere as I've only been on one other gaming forum where if you didn't have over X amount of posts then your opinion is garbage. There was much less engagement there as well with only news spouted by the community manager and I never saw a dev post.

Finally an opportunity to respond. A lot of pages have passed and the army of picture posters have already ran through the thread. I wish you a good stay and I'm glad Marcin will stay here as well. Welcome to the hardcore community who debates very sharply about any content that CDPR releases and then post pictures to 'lighten' up the dark mood. Thank you for your honesty here and the past is the past to me. I wish you the best of luck here and if I were you, I'd meditate and drink some tawny owl to increase vigor/endurance regeneration as well as some cat for the long hours at night whenever there's a shitstorm coming in.

Diplomacy is first and foremost the key to civility among many other things.
@Blothulfur isn't wrong and nor do I disagree with him. The poster of the question of the dlc for ME3 was very intellectual in his post of whether or not the dlc was worth the money only to be insulted by the community manager. This is something I hope and do not expect to see here from him. In all things I usually look at things in a pessimistic/realist light, here I'll in the middle, maybe with a hint of optimism.

I don't really care about Chris' character as a person, not like we are going to have pizza and beer together, but about his ability to uphold a party line, so to speak. Rules on official forums are set not by community managers, and how to deal with people is a matter of a policy, or, at least, so I hope. I trust CDPR will be reasonable about it, and won't allow outright insults. Untill now they were very moderate, and even more tolerant that I would have been. Whatever Bioware enforced, it was their problem. As long as Chris is able to follow the guidelines of this forum, without going into any embarrasing personal crap, AND successfully deal with disruptions, I will welcome his involvement.

This is sexist..?
OMG, where are we heading..? It was a good joke..

Anyway, welcome here and have a great time with us!

Geralt may be able to cast a new sign "Gakk". This throws a heap of poutine directly onto an opponent's heart causing instant cardiac arrest.

It may sound like an exaggeration, bu it's not.

There is a reason why poutine is the most popular meal to have when you are piss drunk. No sober mind would want to eat it.

Hello Chris and good luck with the new opportunity.

Since we're airing concerns, I'll say that I was puzzled at your comment on BSN that if you had your way, the Off Topic forum over there (which was the most polite and drama-free place on the site, generally) wouldn't exist. If you care to, please explain your thinking. It sounded to me like you thought the forums should be a place to promote the games rather than a place where organic community can occur.

This reminds me of my last job where we had to watch a sexual harassment video.

Even if the comment is not offending to the person he said it to, it can offend any other female employees. And in Twitter, everyone sees it. So it can be seen as sexual harassment by other fellow employees.

However, for it to be considered as sexual harassment or a case to fire a person, the sexual harassment has to be a 'recurring' theme.

Your nick was familiar and now i recognize you, @TheEvilChris

Welcome! I used to visit the Mass Effect Foruns (until all that ending mess)

And good luck on your new job! Hope we can all get along

@Costin; I see you've been about today and maybe you've missed my earlier request, but I'd love to hear what engagement Bioware devs undertook that impressed you so much. Purely to see if any of it would be worthwhile Chris suggesting to the REDs, since he would bring that experience too. You said:

Say what you will about Bioware, and anyone who knows me on this boards is well aware of how badly I view them as a company, one thing that they did which CDPR has rarely done is engage on the forums with their community.

Just in case you don't engage, I'm just going to say here I have no complaint personally with the level of engagement by the REDs devs. Sure it's great to see any of them about, and anytime they are about for a chat its been a great addition to our conversations. But they've never revealed anything about the game, and nor should they, or should they be expected to, it's always just been chat, and as such is really just another person, so I'm not sure what exactly they can do that they aren't doing, but I'm open for enlightenment on this matter.

Btw: I've always suspected that some of them might appear more on the Polish forum, which is absolutely understandable and fair enough for many sound reasons, perhaps someone who frequents both forums can let us know the truth of this.

Well with regards to Dragon Age developers, they would answer questions about the lore, the story, the characters and the way those characters thought.

For instance Gaider got involved in the raging debates about Loghain and provided clarity on certain points, it was great. Developers don't have to come and just about games they are going to release you know, although it would be great if they talked here about things like save game import, gameplay plans etc. You know non-spoiler stuff.

Well with regards to Dragon Age developers, they would answer questions about the lore, the story, the characters and the way those characters thought.

Thanks. Well what you describe certainly was good for devs with their own IP, but I'm sure I don't need to explain why I think that isn't necessary here with an established IP. The clarity etc sounds like it was after-the-fact post release info and we have had that kind of thing over the years, similarly the tech stuff maybe isn't ready for discussion yet.

Just to be absolutely clear, I'm not looking an argument of any type, just trying to drill down to what improvements we could suggest, and I don't see any applicable things the REDs could learn yet. Maybe I'm missing something...

The Evil Chris Priestly, eh? I remember you, and not too fondly I might add. BSN and ME3 with the ending debacle and war asset fiasco... you were in fact one of the reasons I haven't bought or played a Bioware game since. Still, I am willing to forgive (if not forget). Welcome.

When I think about harassment at workplaces, I think about "God bless America". To me it seems most of the time absurd and over the top. It always sounds to me, that people want to create an atmosphere of fear in men for always having to think about exactly what they want to say so that noone can spin and twist it to get them fired for harasment or sued. Sure there are cases of harasment, but is there no apropriate way to handle them? Do we really need to go out of our way to be offended? I want to be able to compliment a female coworker or maybe even flirt with her, when I like her. If she doesn't like it or doesn't return those feelings, then she is free to tell me and I will stop. But to have to avoid having any personal relationship to female collegues, so that they don't shout harassment sounds very sad to me.

Offence is caused by the dissolution of a universal etiquette:

noun
  1. conventional requirements as to social behavior; proprieties of conduct as established in any class or community or for any occasion.
  2. a prescribed or accepted code of usage in matters of ceremony, as at a court or in official or other formal observances.
  3. the code of ethical behavior regarding professional practice or action among the members of a profession in their dealings with each other:

Note that there are 3 strict definitions each for recognisably different social situations. What we are primarily talking about in this thread is #3, our behaviour towards one another in a workplace situation.

This thread itself exemplifies the problem, in that a large portion of us appear to not recognise that behaviour should be modified for the situation, and that there are certain situations were such altered behaviour is expected.

Would you flirt with the girl in the middle of a funeral?

The workplace has changed a lot over the last few decades, and how we behave in general has become much looser and thats great, and more varied and thats maybe not so great. This is the perceptual divide that means some people will feel insulted by others behaviour, however innocent or acceptable that other believes themselves, or whether the same behaviour went down well with someone else in the bar the night before.

In my own lifetime I have seen awful behaviour towards Women in workplaces, and just because I don't behave that way doesn't mean I don't see the sense in imposing some rules to curtail the extremes of the thoughtless or ignorant. It may seem a ridiculous burden, but its clearly necessary., and I've observed situations improve since. Then of course theres the absolute fact that we still live in a male dominated society, a wasteful situation, which has consequences that can be rather subtle and even invisible to those not directly affected.

Do you have experience of all workplaces, circumstances & situations ?

Can you really say we don't need to develop some kind of standard for the 21st century?

Hopefully this is just a transitory period, and normal service will be resumed once we get it together.

Plus there are more issues involved than gender.

Can't really believe I'm explaining this, its not something that affects me, but I'm guessing a lot of its down to misinterpretations of terms, the ongoing gamerhate, and the other thing.

Top Bottom