Combat in The Witcher 3

+
I was very impressed with the new combat system but my only gripe is the way some of the dismemberment happens. The cutting angle doesn't always correspond to Geralt's striking angle. for instance, a drowner being cut downwards diagonally from right to left when Geralt strikes diagonally from left to right. I also remember a drowner being dismembered at the same angle from a backwards stab attack. Then there's one of the deserters being beheaded from a jumping verical stike. I really hope the awesome guys at CDPR look into this.

Yep I noticed that as well, I was really hoping they would have realistic stab animations with geralt's sword actually going through the foes body, in fact they actually seemed to have them in early builds, but for some reason they were not present in the demos. Really hope they make it to the final game

This is what i mean:
http://www.gameguyz.com/sites/default/files/pictures_images/23.08.2013/1377240568_1.jpg

Also I noticed that in early screens you can see a really interesting wound system in which enemies bleed accurately from where geralt slashes them, hop this makes it to the final game too:
http://cdn2.gamefront.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/geralt-badass.jpg
http://gamehall.uol.com.br/selectga...r-3-01/the-witcher-3-combat-screenshot-01.jpg

Last edited:
I get the feeling the jump button may be the same button for dodging in combat.

Jump could be A, unless that is for run and sprint now. I would think B would still be dodge but who knows.
In TW2 I didn't like that the D-Pad was for his swords, they should have assigned unsheath silver sword to either, right bumper or right trigger.
Same goes for the steel sword, sheath and unsheath should assigned to left bumper or left trigger. But then again, right bumper could be a good defense or block button. Or the left bumper could be used as a cycle button for the signs or vise-versa. i.e Hold Down Left Bumper and press X for IGNI, Y for AARD etc.. Or better yet, just Tap Left Bumper to cycle through your sign spells and when the hud indicates the one you wish to use, then you simply press Y. If you hold down Y until the controller button vibrates then you release the flame/thrower IGNI or the AARD ground force/push etc. So Y, just like in TW2 can still be used for each sign without having to use that damn rotary wheel system anymore and left bumper or trigger can still be a block button.

Dragon's Dogma had a cool system set up kinda like this, doing away with the lame rotary wheel system. But the down side of that game made us pause in the middle of combat to take health potions. But then again Geralt does not need the D-Pad for pawn commands either. What would be great, is if TW3 assigned Potions to the LD-pad or DD-pad and assigned RD-pad for Bombs and UD-pad for the crossbow.

I have know fucking clue as to how the hell they are going to pull this one off, but I hope in the end it just feels right in our hands.;)

Last edited:
I was thinking that also thrusting animations on grounded enemies would be really nice.
I remember that armored enemies in TW2 falled down on their knees if slashed repeatedly, then there was a window of time in which they remained in that vulnerable stun position and you could hit them until they stood back up on their feet.
The problem was that, even if I went to their back when they were stunned, I couldn't kill them instantly, just like I did after an Aard shot.
So in that case a finisher would be nice: if Geralt is at a kneeled opponent's back, he would thrust the point of the blade between the neck and the torso with both hands; if, instead, he's in front of him, a side pirouette would lead to a stylish beheading.

Yep I noticed that as well, I was really hoping they would have realistic stab animations with geralt's sword actually going through the foes body, in fact they actually seemed to have them in early builds, but for some reason they were not present in the demos. Really hope they make it to the final game

This is what i mean:
http://www.gameguyz.com/sites/default/files/pictures_images/23.08.2013/1377240568_1.jpg

Also I noticed that in early screens you can see a really interesting wound system in which enemies bleed accurately from where geralt slashes them, hop this makes it to the final game too:
http://gamehall.uol.com.br/selectga...r-3-01/the-witcher-3-combat-screenshot-01.jpg

Keep in mind camera angle,how close these images are to the the combat and of course,they are still shots. I am hoping the same can be said for the previous trailers we have been shown with the smoother,"slower" attack animations. Another thing we need to remember,Witcher 2 only had around 20 attack animations compared to Witcher 3 having 96+ animations.

My point clearly being we have only seen a very limited,incomplete view of the combat system. I agree that there needs to be some small improvements but from what little we've been shown so far I absolutely like what I've seen.

I've noticed a few people asking for things that are already in the game. I recommend watching the released footage again,pay close attention and slow down the time. You do this and you will notice a few more details that are easy to miss at normal play speed.

A few examples - The bodies do not disappear,blood mixes with water- Blood on Geralt's legs/boot when fighting the drowners. Although the blood on his hair/face? disappears quickly,it does stay on his legs & boots for an extended period of time.,igni does interact with bodies and the environment - tree(s) and grass on fire in patches. One of the cooler things that happens is when Geralt uses the AOE Aard in the water splashing up and out towards these inflamed spots,extinguishing them! The water physics look great as well.

I'm thinking that some of the animations are not registering correctly for a lot of people because of a lack of polish but more likely because of speed and camera angle & distance.That and the fact we have only seen a handful of combat animations out of the near 100 that we will have in the final game. There is still plenty of time left before the game is final and releases in February 2015.

One interview talked about different sword attack animations depending on which sword is equipped - Steel or Silver. This may be the closest we will ever get to the original sword stances from Witcher 1. I miss the stances but at this point, I'll take what I can get :)

If this is the case,we could have around 40-50 unique sword animation attacks per steel and silver sword.With some overlapping animations between the 2. Not too shabby. Whatever cannot be completed by release could always be implemented via patches and eventually the enhanced editions.

Not advocating an incomplete game or intentional exclusions,which I have no reason to even think CDPR would do. They could continue to update the game with various unique attack & evasion animations. Which is a great idea imo. It would certainly extend the combat variation and keep it fresh.

Along with new combat animations It'd be great for something similar to be done for dialogue. Imagine firing up a 2nd or 3rd play-through coming across new dialogue choices and/or responses from npc's!? I'd love that! Little off-topic but you get the point.

ETA: I am really digging the melee attacks in between sword attacks! I noticed a kick,what appears to be a shoulder bash and an elbow. Everything was happening pretty fast and not with the best viewing angle but that is what it looked like to me. These moves are great for breaking guards and creating space.

Last edited:

This is what i mean:

Maybe the realistic stab animation may be a finisher.

Maybe the realistic stab animation may be a finisher.

I hope not :( I think they said that there would be no cinematics in combat, I really hope thats true, to me these "kill animations" should be present but as a part of combat that does not break fluidity

Last edited:
I hope not :( I think they said that there would be no cinematics in combat, I really hope thats true, to me these "kill animations" should be present but as a part of combat that does no break fluidity

They confirmed there will be no cut scene finishers, so I assume what we saw in the MS demo, where the camera comes in a bit closer and Geralt chops the guy in two is how it will look. I'm curious if they'll slow down time, pause it or have the other enemies stand idle while this happens. In the latest article they said there's counters - which technically should be separate from riposte - as well as disarming. I'm glad they brought back melee, I love the shoulder bumps and kicks Geralt performs.

I think that a more extended and combat specific demo, without the time restraints of E3 would be enough to understand how the combat system really works.
Give me a big gang of thugs attacking Geralt and him using many tecniques and combos to kill them and I'm sold.

Watching the trailer "Killing Monsters", I was wondering if some of the stunts seen there can be performed in-game.
I'm referring to the reversal on multiple enemies, or the quick step towards a foe after killing the previous one.
Maybe at San Diego we will see something like that in the demo.
I can't wait!

Witcher 3 combat?

How do you guys think it will differ from the combat found in the witcher 2?

honestly I'm hoping they revamp the system entirely. I'm replaying Assassin's of Kings now and remembering exactly how much I hated the system in it. It's all rolling and spamming Quen because Geralt is incredibly clumsy and slower than both humans and monsters. It doesn't give me a sense of being a mutant built and trained for combat at all, more of a feeling that if he didn't have infinite attempts at each battle, geralt would be rotting in the ground years ago.

Personally I'm hoping they make Geralt faster, remove the annoying stagger animations when an enemy parries (not what actually happens, so it isn't even realistic) and make dodging more than just rolling randomly all over the place like a bowling ball thrown by a drunkard. I'd prefer to enjoy the combat rather than endure it because the story line is worth wanting to smash my computer every now and then.

Top Bottom