Developer Spotlight #2 - Damien Monnier

+
That "hardcore" quote was pointed towards the Souls series, I'd think. And no, gameplay-wise I wouldn't want Witcher series to be completely akin to Souls series. (Although potion drinking animation should have been added, I agree with that point. It would take 1 second anyway...)

It is a fair reminder that, sometimes, too much realism can be a hindrance to the enjoyment of entertainments. So long as the outward semblance of reality is maintained, to create a convincing illusion, we may dispense with the more mundane, and wearisome, details.
This. I care more about how the game flows, how fun it is, how engaging it is (especially because this is a 100+ hour game) than mundane little details that the majority of people won't even notice. People on this forum need to realize that different people expect different things and it isn't inherently bad if CDPR didn't include some detail that a few posters might find important.
If CDPR actually builds a game that a few people here suggest, 1) they would never finish it. 2) If they do, only a handful of people will finish the game.

Last edited:
(Although potion drinking animation should have been added, I agree with that point. It would take 1 second anyway...)

The RED Team has caught some heat over potions in general, lately: they're the wrong colour, you can't actually drink them. . . . I wonder if it will come to haunt them at all.

Last edited:
I am a little disappointed, about hearing that the difficulties(so far as combat goes) will apparently be simply altering damage, and health. I had hoped for a more organic approach to it. Such as quicker reacting, or more aggressive A.I.'s.

I personally would also have preferred if they reserved the 'special reductions' (eg: less exp, no stat increases apon leveling, etc) for the highest difficulty.

I had hoped to play on the 'hard' equivalent, to keep me on my toes, and to keep combat interesting. But, some of the other attachments to it may prove irritating on a first playthough.

But, who knows yet. They may work well. = )

Last edited:
This. I care more about how the game flows, how fun it is, how engaging it is (especially because this is a 100+ hour game) than mundane little details that the majority of people won't even notice. People on this forum need to realize that different people expect different things and it isn't inherently bad if CDPR didn't include some detail that a few posters might find important.
If CDPR actually builds a game that a few people here suggest, 1) they would never finish it. 2) If they do, only a handful of people will finish the game.

Perhaps a slight shade more accusative in tone than I'd like, but I can sympathise with your position, to a degree. Personally, I have a great love of subtle details; however, I'm always prepared to acknowledge the necessity of economy of detail -- by which I mean the selective limitation thereof -- in the service of a more manageable, and accessible product.

Last edited:
Perhaps a slight shade more accusative in tone than I'd like, but I can sympathise with your position, to a degree. Personally, I have a great love of subtle details; however, I'm always prepared to acknowledge the necessity of economy of detail -- by which I mean the selective limitation thereof -- in the service of a more manageable, and accessible product.
Yeah. I was a little irritated about people complaining about a 100 little things by seeing a few minutes of footage without more information. So, was a little snippy. Anyway, wish more people understood that they aren't playing the game alone and CDPR has to try to balance the needs of the many. Now, does that mean they need to sacrifce the vision of their game or casualize everything? No and I don't think CDPR are doing that. Sure they have had to make sacrifices but they are ones that make sense.

Last edited:
you guys are amazing. Thank you Damien for answering my question about respawning. I was worried the way I wrote that may have come off as rude or something because I was just so excited xD. Thanks so much to the great peoples who took the time to take and compile these questions and set this all up! Everyone's awesome xD

Sken

Forum veteran
Amazing effort for all involved, thanks to Damien for taking the time to give back to the community!

I am a little disappointed, about hearing that the difficulties(so far as combat goes) will apparently be simply altering damage, and health. I had hoped for a more organic approach to it. Such as quicker reacting, or more aggressive A.I.'s.

I personally would also have preferred if they reserved the 'special reductions' (eg: less exp, no stat increases apon leveling, etc) for the highest difficulty.

I had hoped to play on the 'hard' equivalent, to keep me on my toes, and to keep combat interesting. But, some of the other attachments to it may prove irritating on a first playthough.

But, who knows yet. They may work well. = )

Yeah, I agree with your first point. Its weird since it was just recently when they talked about not just increasing health/damage but instead making enemy AI being more aggressive/defensive and adding more of them to a given encounter. Would be a good question to ask at the Twitch Q/A on Tuesday since the guy who has had a big part in balancing the combat will be there.

I'm not at all bothered by getting less EXP on harder difficulties. One of my fears with open world RPGs is leveling too fast and suddenly findig myself overleveled for a lot of content. The way he phrases that almost makes it sound like you level too quickly on Easy/Normal.

Yeah, I agree with your first point. Its weird since it was just recently when they talked about not just increasing health/damage but instead making enemy AI being more aggressive/defensive and adding more of them to a given encounter. Would be a good question to ask at the Twitch Q/A on Tuesday since the guy who has had a big part in balancing the combat will be there.

I'm not at all bothered by getting less EXP on harder difficulties. One of my fears with open world RPGs is leveling too fast and suddenly findig myself overleveled for a lot of content. The way he phrases that almost makes it sound like you level too quickly on Easy/Normal.

Hopefully there'll be AI improvements also, maybe he forgot/omitted that part...dunno. You're probably right, about the exp / leveling, tbh. That aspect in itself didn't really bother me either. But, I included it for the sake of example, as 'the hidden/extra reductions'.

Hahahahaha...Damien answered my question, actually...Well, sort of :D
Completely forgot about it...And I was just joking :D

Anyway, thanks a lot @Kinley and Damien!

Troll of the year ;)

Anyway, thanks a thousand times for this elaborate interview @Kinley and @Damien, GREAT STUFF.

I'm still a little bit sour about alchemy, I mean you could have at least done it so that we have to collect ingredients when wanting to create the more powerful potions (the upgraded versions), would have been a nice compromise. Maybe a modder will do it.....

As for using potions during combat, I understand. Maybe the pace of the combat and the number of enemies are just too high to allow for a potion taking animation....

Also thanks for answering my question on weapon durability, although you did not elaborate on the weapon level cap, but I guess that was answered a week ago or so when they said weapons will scale at the moment you pick them up and adjust to your level.

Also VERY interesting to know that hard and dark difficulty will give less XP and NOT feature stat-increase upon level up. Although I assume it is no the case that there will be no stat-increase whatsoever but just significantly less, right? (I hope...? (Because how else is Geralt EVER getting even remotely stronger if not by stat increases?)) Armor and weapons will do the rest I guess.

Still, I do not completely get the skill tree. I mean 75 skills for 50 levels (with different skill-levels and 4 slots) but only 12 choosable active skills? I really hope that stat-changed are not many in those skill-trees then, because it would not really make sense to be able to 1-hit a drowner in one fight and then - upon changing skills - suddenly need more than 8 hits (making up the numbers here to make a point). That would really be frustrating for me.

The only way I can imagine it working is if we had active and passive skills, where passive skills are mainly stat-changes and are permanent and active skills can be switched around but we are only able to choose 12 of them at a time. That would make sense. But if you would have passive (stat-changing) skills AND active skills all having to be switched around and you can only choose 12 (of the 50 you have at the end of the game (of the 75 available)) then it would kind of not make sense to me. I still don't get this.....

I do really hope that there is something in the system I oversee. Because the way I see it at the moment this quote would make no sense in the current skill system:

Will there be a possibility to restart your skills at some point in a game like in TW2?

Yes but you lose the things you have acquired from places of power.

I mean come on that makes no sense at all!!
If this would be the case it would indicate there ARE skills which are PERMANENTLY active and you can NOT switch out, because obviously he asked if you could reset skills at at a point and Damien said "yes, but you loose the benefits you gained from places of power". It would make no sense if you could switch "builds" all the time that you loose the stuff from places of power every time you switch, that would discourage the experimentation with "builds", but they want you to experiment with them.

So my conclusions would be that there are active and passive skills. Active ones are the "builds" which can be switched around and have different effects while passive ones are the more "permanent" (probably stat-influencing) skills.

If that is NOT the case then I have no idea how this is supposed to work...

Last edited:
Top Bottom