Geralt´s VATS system

+
@marcinmomot Can we get any red confirmation on this? Even if VATS isn't a good system, The vital organs system sounded innovated and fun

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...icles-on-TW3?p=1235181&viewfull=1#post1235181

Google translate on the original article:
PC Games: Since you just mention the battles: You have a year ago tells us of a feature that you could freeze the fights, and then to target specific body parts of the enemy. Is there still?

Tomaszkiewicz: "Oh, I remember But that was long ago, so we have not thrown out the feature, but a significant change in the development would otherwise have simply become too expensive opponents still have certain weaknesses and special qualities that one in!... must take into account the fight But you have no more to target a particular organ or so instead you use special bombs and oils There is, for example, a monster that has a crazy regeneration rate -.... a really difficult fight for Geralt But if you previously everything important you learn about the monsters, you can get you a special oil that Geralt's attacks gives an effect that cancel out exactly the strong healing powers of this monster., making the fight much easier. In this sense, we thus have the feature still in game, because the effect is the same. "

Last edited:
What the hell is a tits boy?
You perv.
Probably something like Kainé from NieR, but I'm getting carried away in lewd thoughts.

you have no more to target a particular organ or so instead you use special bombs and oils
So much like the poison against the Kairan, but not just in boss fights? This sounds cool, anything that forces me to utilize the potion system more than I normally would. Used it much more in TW1 than the 2nd game.

No offence to Konrad Tomaszkiewicz but he seems to only have bad ideas or at least be bringer of bad news.He was the one who confirmed that stealth and focus system is gone and he was also the one who said that it was HIS 'brilliant' idea to implement infinite potions which are even big no-no for king of casual rpgs Skyrim let alone Witcher. - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CvA3reLuH8 (from 4:00 in video watch for yourself,he says that HE came up with the idea one day when he woke up but honestly he should have slept the whole day,I understand that hangover from the night before can do funny things to you).

I much more prefer Marcin Iwinski.That guy is simply awesome.He is Elon Musk (owner of Tesla Motors and true philanthropist) of gaming industry.

So I'm not allowed to say I dislike not person but those person's ideas and he just so happen to be part of CD Projekt team?

Ok,I won't then any more.But that's the worst kind of political correctness you can possibly imagine.I guess with infinite potions has to go infinite praise despite your opinion about it.

So I'm not allowed to say I dislike not person but those person's ideas and he just so happen to be part of CD Projekt team?

Ok,I won't then any more.But that's the worst kind of political correctness you can possibly imagine.I guess with infinite potions has to go infinite praise despite your opinion about it.

You're free to dislike whichever idea you want, but you are to express this in a civil manner, without ridiculing, as per the forum rules and regulations all of us are required to follow, if we wish to continue posting here.

I understand that this is a translated interview, and I wonder sometimes about the credibility of these translations. I know there hasn't been any footage demonstrating the system at E3, and it doesn't seem to be mentioned any of the recent interviews. I am glad they kept the monster weakness, and the ability to research it via books/ fighting enough of those monsters. but to have every monster be weak to a certain bomb or oil, just seems like a cop-out as opposed to a more interesting anatomy system. (Crushing a rib cage to get to a monsters three different hearts, or stabbing the poison gland on a manticore tail)

that sounded so awesome!

ust seems like a cop-out as opposed to a more interesting anatomy system. (Crushing a rib cage to get to a monsters three different hearts, or stabbing the poison gland on a manticore tail)

I feel you, but doesn't a VATS or hitting system require a pause screen like in Fallout or slow-motion like in MGRR?

EDIT: What I'm trying to say, I'm not sure if this would feel right in TW3 for me, it's probably fun but Witcher doesn't need to emulate all these other games. It's one of it's own kind of game.

Something like attacking a monster's tail in an effort to cut it off like in Dark Souls would be alright, maybe performing a riposte on a monster could cause special damage to it. I also like the idea of using special bombs and blade coatings to exploit weaknesses, although that was already the case in the previous games.

I feel you, but doesn't a VATS or hitting system require a pause screen like in Fallout or slow-motion like in MGRR?

EDIT: What I'm trying to say, I'm not sure if this would feel right in TW3 for me, it's probably fun but Witcher doesn't need to emulate all these other games. It's one of it's own kind of game.

For example exact system like in Fallout would definitely not suit Witcher but slow down focus system as optional strategic combat approach would be so awesome.I wouldn't use it all the time but it sounds like fun way to play imo.

Last edited:
Something like attacking a monster's tail in an effort to cut it off

And using the bombs to stun it or slow it down to get behind would be great. Some tactics that don't repeat but are incredibly helpful when you figure them out. Or when you use a bomb/potion/poison too often they will get used to it and protect the tail somehow. Whatever is not too much work for CDPR to program into Witcher 3.

Well, in the witcher 2 you already have a VATS like system, when you pick your signs or the item you want to throw time slows down.

Just saw a recent YouTube interview with konrad, where he talks about using a silver bomb to stop a werewolf's regeneration. Have to say I am pretty disappointed.

Throwing a bomb or using an oil for every single monster in the game seems like a huge cope out. The other system had so much more immersion. Breaking the rib cage to get to a heart. Breaking a knights armor to hit their vitals. Choosing which vital to target could have also led to some interesting finishes. It would have been great to see it done through a slow down mode.

Edit: Video in question http://youtu.be/3wLHQDQart4

Last edited:
Just saw a recent YouTube interview with konrad, where he talks about using a silver bomb to stop a werewolf's regeneration. Have to say I am pretty disappointed.

Throwing a bomb or using an oil for every single monster in the game seems like a huge cope out. The other system had so much more immersion. Breaking the rib cage to get to a heart. Breaking a knights armor to hit their vitals. Choosing which vital to target could have also led to some interesting finishes. It would have been great to see it done through a slow down mode.
You're telling me... a system that is part of the game already and does not break the flow of the combat/game....... is less immersive than slow motion aim at something specific and watch it happen automatically?

I'm glad they didn't bother. I just can't see it as anything more than a gimmick, and it was hardly more than that in Fallout 3.

I'm glad they didn't bother. I just can't see it as anything more than a gimmick, and it was hardly more than that in Fallout 3.
It's the very first thing I disable. I have a keyboard and a mouse, I don't need the VATS crutch.

You're telling me... a system that is part of the game already and does not break the flow of the combat/game....... is less immersive than slow motion aim at something specific and watch it happen automatically?

No. I am saying there is a lot of immersion lost, to simply use bombs and oils,when you had a system in place that actually dealt with monster anatomy and researching those weaknesses. To then be giving the opportunity to spend points of vigor, in order to execute the attack.

There are ways to implement this system without terribly interrupting the flow of combat. Just as said before, when the witcher 2 used the slowdown sign switch mechanic, maybe the system could borrow a page from that book.Alternatively, a system where the player can quickly switch into focus mode, and use vigor to deal the strike.

The system did not have to be a fallout 3, game pauses, Geralt has 44% chance to hit an arm. I think they could have done something different, in order to keep that unique "tactial anatomy research" aspect of monster hunting.

Immersion is terribly subjective and there is no 'right' answer to it so each to their own. Anything that interrupts the flow of combat is bad for me, be it being locked in place for some kind of precision strike or a mini-cutscene(TW2's finishers). Using already existing systems to deal with the combat rather than some gimmicky VATS-like crutch is what I deem superior for myself.

Top Bottom