Graphical Downgrade Cont.

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
While I definetelly agree with everything that u said about the technical side of the game, I have to disagree with one thing. AC Unity stomps Witcher 3 when it comes to graphics. Even early WIP demos of Unity look way better than what we got in latest W3 demos. And im not talking just about visual quality - things like fluid animations and framerate, cloath physics, realistic colours, climbing/navigation, high level texturing - all are beyond Witcher 3.

It's way too early to compare AC Unity with the Witcher 3. The former releases in only two months, whilst the latter releases in 6 months. There's plenty of development time left for the Witcher 3, but AC Unity isn't likely to change much between now and release date..

It's way too early to compare AC Unity with the Witcher 3. The former releases in only two months, whilst the latter releases in 6 months. There's plenty of development time left for the Witcher 3, but AC Unity isn't likely to change much between now and release date..
Im comparing it as it is and it's obvious who look a lot better - it's Unity. Ofcourse we might do second comparison after both games will be released since we all know how it went witch Wach Dogs. But I doubt Ubisoft will fu*k up again like they did the last time.

Last edited:
I don't think that applies to DX11 Sid. DX9 is limited to serial rendering, but DX11 is not. DX11 can do parallel rendering with deferred contexts or manual threading, and so the draw call limit is much, much higher than it is for DX9.. Also the level of API overhead is substantially less with DX11..
The concept of draw calls batches is what I mean, not the exact numbers. That has remained largely unchanged.

Im actually fine with how the game looks at the moment - it's nothing special but as an RPG it's still a good looking game. All I hope is that it will be well optimised AS PROMISED and will be fluid without those horrible shutters/fps drops that we see in every video. That's all I ask.

I am the only one that thinks witcher would benefit from using simple skybox not some strange orange-blue gradient ?

That's probably supposed to be a transition of dawn because TW3 has some of the most beautiful skyboxes I've ever seen.

I admit to know next to nothing about this technical mumbo jumbo, or how graphics change throughout development. I just want to note that the Watch Dogs scandal happened over a 10-minute gameplay video, not screenshots or 1-second scenes caught in a debut trailer. So to my understanding it's only comparable if CDPR releases another video in a few months, which looks worse than what we have so far.

With a quick glimpse over the comparison photos some people posted, I do see a difference. They look more impressive than what was released recently.

It doesn't bother me, though.

Even without taking into consideration there's half a year before release and a lot of optimization will take place. And that it may be a different build. Or time of day. Or any other explanation. If I get the game as it looks now, I'm still thrilled. Even if the graphics from E3\Gamescon don't look as good as some of the SoD gifs, the difference isn't severe. Trying to strengthen the argument of a downgrade by using bombastic claims such as "looks so much worse", or "graphics sucks" (seriously?), "CDPR lied to us" and other such things just make this seem like a forced attempt at drama.

I am the only one that thinks witcher would benefit from using simple skybox not some strange orange-blue gradient ?

I see where you are coming from, but don't forget that this is No Man's land and the atmosphere should be gritty and moody, showing that the war is going in the lands. IMO they nailed the atmosphere perfectly here.

That's probably supposed to be a transition of dawn because TW3 has some of the most beautiful skyboxes I've ever seen.

I think they want to have their own dynamic clouds system but imo this will never be as realistic as simple skybox. Stalker had great skies

It's curious that the usual prompt responses from the Community Manager towards threads and concerns don't appear to be forthcoming this time round.

[Reposting because I've been asked to.]

A quick comparison on the quality degradation of vegetation. Grass in this particular case.

I'll show you two screenshots of the SoD trailer, followed by two screens of the latest Downwarren teaser. So let's start:

SoD trailer grass:
http://i.imgur.com/a5qFBKZ.png
http://i.imgur.com/7XLzYJy.jpg

Here, you can see how much detailed the grass is. You can clearly distinguish every blade of grass, the edges are well defined, the texture is high quality and overall it's well distributed on the terrain, filling the right spots and leaving the places with soil empty.

Now look at the Downwarren teaser:
http://i.imgur.com/AhtdN7v.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/wkyQp3C.jpg

Something has clearly changed: the texture is now low-res, the grass is blurred, the edges jagged. The vegetations distribution has also changed, in the second screen you can see how the right area is filled only by a bunch of tussocks, leaving a lot of "grass terrain" empty.

I hope I have clarified what I meant in my previous posts with this comparison.
I'm a passionate fan of The Witcher series, and I just want this game to be the best of the best, so every detail is equally important in order to make TW3 a title that will be remembered for years.

I am the only one that thinks witcher would benefit from using simple skybox not some strange orange-blue gradient?

I'm sorry but I think the dynamic cloud system is one of the few things that look simply spectacular. From what I've seen until now TW3 has one of the best (if not the best) skies in the business, the clouds are truly believable. No sky box could match that level.

Lets just hope its from a later build. It would truly be a shame to see a downgrade in graphics all thanks to the supposed "next-gen" consoles.

The fact is I'm tired of hoping, I just want some official word in order to clarify what's happening, being it a downgrade or not. CDPR has always been sincere with his fanbase, so I'm asking them to continue to do it.

Defenitley it would be nice to hear from Marcin or one of the Reds. So they could clarify as to why it looks downgraded from the SOD trailer. At this point I too am tired of hoping and waiting. Im with you on this one Garret.

I'm sorry but I think the dynamic cloud system is one of the few things that look simply spectacular. From what I've seen until now TW3 has one of the best (if not the best) skies in the business, the clouds are truly believable. No sky box could match that level.

Just compare it witch stalker

top image is original

now stalker

Jupiter_on_Mars

Just compare it witch stalker

top image is original

now stalker

José Teixeira said he's close to finishing up cloud shadows. That'd be great and downright impossible with skybox.
I want the game to move forward, not backwards.

About Marcin Momot not having responded thus far: a wide gamut of reasons - from the fairly trivial to the more complex - might explain his silence, in fact so wide that no one is justified in drawing any conclusions from it.

Last edited:
It's curious that the usual prompt responses from the Community Manager towards threads and concerns don't appear to be forthcoming this time round.

They don't respond as often as you think. If you go to the front page of this "sub-thread", you have 15 threads up (Not including stickies) and there's only 4 threads with RED replies.

They generally veer away from issues like this. What are you looking for them to say anyway?

At best all Marcin will do is assure you that they are working hard to optimize and create the most impressive RPG we've ever seen. They're not going to say, "Yes, we have downgraded the game. Sorry!"

You're just going to have to wait till we get like a ~month out from release and compare any Gameplay we get then, or better yet just wait until February 24th itself. At least then you'll be able to crank everything to max and take screenshots with the exact same time of day as the "good" footage and truly prove if there was a downgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom