Is Witcher like DragonAge?

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Witcher like DragonAge?

I have been playing DragonAge on the PS4 and enjoying the game alot, when i look at this game it seems more hack and slash and less open and more of track based quest. It looks great though.

I have been playing DragonAge on the PS4 and enjoying the game alot, when i look at this game it seems more hack and slash and less open and more of track based quest. It looks great though.

It's a story-driven RPG, like Dragon Age. However, it's a single and pre-defined character, not a team.

And a special note to anyone else thinking of turning this into a DA vs Witcher fight:
Don't.

It's a story-driven RPG, like Dragon Age. However, it's a single and pre-defined character, not a team.

And a special note to anyone else thinking of turning this into a DA vs Witcher fight:
Don't.
Thankyou and that's great.

The Witcher has a very strong focus on storytelling. It is actually derrived from actual fantasy novels. If you like to read, it's definately worth it.
And yeah the difference is that it focuses on Geralt and his story. He's a predefined character, which means you will not create your own character, but play as an established one.

Witcher has a more dark and gritty atmosphere for the most part, all though there are light hearted moments. The story is more grounded, you aren't exactly a hero, your a mutant that kills monsters for coin. I like that you play as a certain character because it feels less generic and adds to the story but that's just my opinion. Overall the writing is very good and although it's very subjective i think it's AT LEAST on par with dragon age but possibly a fair bit better. The combats more actiony and has less room for different play styles as you play a predefined character with a certain set of abilities. It's more reliant on reflexes and motor skills than tactics during the battle but there is also an option to prepare for fights. For me Dragon age origins had the best the combat system as the tactical cam was the only fun part of DA combat for me . Compared to the combat in DA2 and DA:I I'd personally say W2 is just better. But obviously I'm biased as I'm here talking about the witcher for a reason.

Edit: One warning though. I used to really enjoy DA games but after playing Witcher i can't enjoy them as much cause im like "pfft, the writing in the Witcher is better." or something along those lines.

Last edited:
The Witcher world is a gritty dark fantasy world heavily inspired by Eastern European myths and legends and it's also filled with racism, wars, pogroms of non-humans, monsters that threaten villagers and townsfolk, magical curses that ruin the lives of many people and death in every corner, I would describe this world as "Muck" incarnate.

But it so full of so many good characters, lore, moral dilemmas, political intrigue, storytelling and atmosphere, that I can't really find any fantasy world similar to it, and it the middle of all that, is Geralt of Rivia, a witcher, a mutant monster slayer whose only job is to slay monsters, he is not a Hero, he is just a guy trying to get by without intervening in political wars and shenanigans, though he is unfortunately pulled into them because of his power and skill in battle.

Witchers are not well liked by people at all, they see them as mutant abominations that are full of Evil and Greed, and are in the folklore of many legends in that world as being the ones who save people from monsters or magical curses.

Dragon Age on the other hand, focuses on your character being the "Chosen One" who must babysit the world of Thedas every once and a while because Thedasians do not seem to know how to govern their lives without a hero rising up and saving all of them it seems.

Sure, Dragon Age's world is also not a good place to live in , Blights happen, people die in every corner of the world, wars happen all the time, etc ... But what makes the Witcher more preferable to me personally, is that your character (as in Geralt) does not give a flying fuck (so to say) about saving the world, sure, he has a heart of gold and he deeply cares about his loved ones and people in general, but he isn't a hero.

Now going to the games, the Witcher games did the concept of "Choices and Consequences" far better than Dragon Age, in Dragon Age, most of the choices are clear as day, the "be a good hero or be a complete anti-hero" kind of choices (though DAO did have more choices than that obviously), but in the Witcher games, every choice you make is not clearly Evil or Good, sometimes you have to choose the Lesser of two Evils, Shades of Grey, if you will.

In terms of mechanics, DA is a party-based RPG series, the games heavily depend on your party members and their own personal Storylines, in the Witcher, you play as Geralt himself, alone in most of his quests, as he gets his job done better this way, though some characters help him in some situations, but the Witcher games are dependant on the Characterization of Geralt throughout the games, the choices he made and the consequences he must face because of them.

I hope this is a good summary of what to expect in the Witcher games :p

Last edited:
Witcher has a more dark and gritty atmosphere for the most part, all though there are light hearted moments. The story is more grounded, you aren't exactly a hero, your a mutant that kills monsters for coin. I like that you play as a certain character because it feels less generic and adds to the story but that's just my opinion. Overall the writing is very good and although it's very subjective i think it's AT LEAST on par with dragon age but possibly a fair bit better. The combats more actiony and has less room for different play styles as you play a predefined character with a certain set of abilities. It's more reliant on reflexes and motor skills than tactics during the battle but there is also an option to prepare for fights. For me Dragon age origins had the best the combat system as the tactical cam was the only fun part of DA combat for me . Compared to the combat in DA2 and DA:I I'd personally say W2 is just better. But obviously I'm biased as I'm here talking about the witcher for a reason.
Well seeing some of the latest trailers speaks volumes for the game, i purchased it already for preorder and look forward to my first Witcher game.

The Witcher world is a gritty dark fantasy world heavily inspired by Eastern European myths and legends and it's also filled with racism, wars, pogroms of non-humans, monsters that threaten villagers and townsfolk, magical curses that ruin the lives of many people and death in every corner, I would describe this world as "Muck" incarnate.

But it so full of so many good characters, lore, moral dilemmas, political intrigue, storytelling and atmosphere, that I can't really find any fantasy world similar to it, and it the middle of all that, is Geralt of Rivia, a witcher, a mutant monster slayer whose only job is to slay monsters, he is not a Hero, he is just a guy trying to get by without intervening in political wars and shenanigans, though he is unfortunately pulled into them because of his power and skill in battle.

Witchers are not well liked by people at all, they see them as mutant abominations that are full of Evil and Greed, and are in the folklore of many legends in that world as being the ones who save people from monsters or magical curses.

Dragon Age on the other hand, focuses on your character being the "Chosen One" who must babysit the world of Thedas every once and a while because Thedasians do not seem to know how to govern their lives without a hero rising up and saving all of them it seems.

Sure, Dragon Age's world is also not a good place to live in , Blights happen, people die in every corner of the world, wars happen all the time, etc ... But what makes the Witcher more preferable to me personally, is that your character (as in Geralt) does not give a flying fuck (so to say) about saving the world, sure, he has a heart of gold and he deeply cares about his loved ones and people in general, but he isn't a hero.

Now going to the games, the Witcher games did the concept of "Choices and Consequences" far better than Dragon Age, in Dragon Age, most of the choices are clear as day, the "be a good hero or be a complete anti-hero" kind of choices (though DAO did have more choices than that obviously), but in the Witcher games, every choice you make is not clearly Evil or Good, sometimes you have to choose the Lesser of two Evils, Shades of Grey, if you will.

In terms of mechanics, DA is a party-based RPG series, the games heavily depend on your party members and their own personal Storylines, in the Witcher, you play as Geralt himself, alone in most of his quests, as he gets his job better this way, though some characters help him in some situations, but the Witcher games are dependant on the Characterization of Geralt throughout the games, the choices he made and the consequences he must face because of them.

I hope this is a good summary of what to expect in the Witcher games :p

this is pretty spot on. Very much what i would've wrote if i could've been bothered. :) I used to think Dragon Age was awesome but I've grown up since then(literally, i played origins when i was 15) and played the Witcher and unfortunately i can't look at it in the same way.

Well seeing some of the latest trailers speaks volumes for the game, i purchased it already for preorder and look forward to my first Witcher game.

that's great it's probably going to be a an awesome game but look, I don't want to be the guy who tells other people how to spend their money (but i guess I'm going to anyway, lol) The Witcher 3 has just been delayed till may and there have been doubts from some people concerning the quality of the game. Unless you've got the income to just spend £40 on a game without thinking about it id suggest spend that money to either play W1 and W2 if you have the appropriate platform/s or to read the books or buy another game your looking forward to that comes out sooner or is out now because at this point there is no point in pre-ordering the game.

Last edited:
Different to Dragon Age Inuqisition Witcher isn't hack and slash, it's mostly skill based action combat. And I indeed hope it is way less open than DAI although that probably won't be the case...

To me, what it's really closest to is not sword-and-sorcery fantasy, but hard-boiled detective fiction. There are even many allusions to this in the first game. Geralt is a hero out of Chandler or Hammett, a man who makes his living from the mean streets, always in danger of turning mean. The story is not of Geralt saving the world, but of Geralt saving himself.

The Witcher 3 will be even more open-world than Dragon Age Inquistion is. The combat will be more hack 'n slash than DragonAge. You also can't create your own character and you control just one person instead of four. Like Dragon Age the main strength of The Witcher 3 will be it's storytelling.

that's great it's probably going to be a an awesome game but look, I don't want to be the guy who tells other people how to spend their money (but i guess I'm going to anyway, lol) The Witcher 3 has just been delayed till may and there have been doubts from some people concerning the quality of the game. Unless you've got the income to just spend £40 on a game without thinking about it id suggest spend that money to either play W1 and W2 if you have the appropriate platform/s or to read the books or buy another game your looking forward to that comes out sooner or is out now because at this point there is no point in pre-ordering the game.
Lol i can wait, still only Halfway through DAI and with BloodBorne coming out in march, plenty other gaming time.

The Witcher 3 will be even more open-world than Dragon Age Inquistion is.
Inquisition is pretty much open world. Of course it has several regions but alltogether the game might be on par with Witcher 3 in size.

The combat will be more hack 'n slash than DragonAge.
Definitely not true, at least if we talk about Inquisition here. Inquisition is almost pure hack'n'slash, especially if you play a melee char...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom