Is Witcher like DragonAge?

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
To me, what it's really closest to is not sword-and-sorcery fantasy, but hard-boiled detective fiction. There are even many allusions to this in the first game. Geralt is a hero out of Chandler or Hammett, a man who makes his living from the mean streets, always in danger of turning mean. The story is not of Geralt saving the world, but of Geralt saving himself.
I agree with this. It's sort of like LOTR but more down to earth; almost like a "detective" story set in Middle-Earth. You will notice that, like LOTR, The Witcher has a physical embodiment of evil (monsters), but, unlike orcs, monsters are usually mindless and don't owe allegiance to any political factions. They're also usually created by the misdeeds of ordinary people (at least in TW1), which links Geralt's job to investigating crime organically.

Last edited:
The story is not of Geralt saving the world, but of Geralt saving himself.
Actually the story is just about Geralt getting along, trying to survive the shit that happens around him with the tools he has at hand (which is a sharp mind and a sharp sword...). "Saving himself" is already too beefed-up imo...

Inquisition is pretty much open world. Of course it has several regions but alltogether the game might be on par with Witcher 3 in size.
I have Inquisition and I highly doubt that. The environments in Inquisition aren't that big in reality.

]Definitely not true, at least if we talk about Inquisition here. Inquisition is almost pure hack'n'slash, especially if you play a melee char...
I used the term "Hack N" Slash" for simplicity's sake because it's what the OP used. What I meant was that Dragon Age Inquisition has party combat whereas Witcher 3 has melee combat.

Actually the story is just about Geralt getting along, trying to survive the shit that happens around him with the tools he has at hand (which is a sharp mind and a sharp sword...). "Saving himself" is already too beefed-up imo...
The story in Witcher 1 certainly isn't about "surviving the shit that happens around him." It's about a revenge quest; he actively seeks out the bad guy.

Last edited:
I have Inquisition and I highly doubt that. The environments in Inquisition aren't that big in reality.
Well, even if Witcher 3 is bigger that doesn't mean that Inquisition is less open world in terms of game design. Most of the time you just explore maps or do side stuff not related to the main story. That's pretty open world to me. ;)

I used the term "Hack N" Slash" for simplicity's sake because it's what the OP used. What I meant was that Dragon Age Inquisition has party-based, tactical combat whereas Witcher has melee combat.
Inquisition has only tactical combat in theory - or if you use that horrible tac cam nobody actually uses for a significant amount of time...

For the main part the game is pretty much a solo hack'n'slash game with computer controlled companions.

they are both story driven so I guess they are kind of similiar (especially compared to stuff like Skyrim or Dark Souls)
the main difference is that you can create your own character in Dragon age with your own sexuality etc. and in The Witcher you have a pre defined character named Geralt
both series are great in my opinion although sadly there are many bioware haters here apparently you can't like both

Well, even if Witcher 3 is bigger that doesn't mean that Inquisition is less open world in terms of game design. Most of the time you just explore maps or do side stuff not related to the main story. That's pretty open world to me. ;)
In my opinion, the zones in Inquistion are pretty linear for an open-world game. Most zones have one linear quest-path through the zone and little in the way of side quests besides closing rifts and making camps. You teleport in, travel to your destination, and warp out. There are exceptions of course.

Anyways. I'll remind you again that I have Inquisition. And this whole discussion is pointless (and off topic) because I only used the simplistic terminology I did to answer the OPs question. In other words, I was trying to be helpful, not analyze the games. I'm perfectly aware of the differences in detail..

Last edited:
In my opinion, the zones in Inquistion are pretty linear for an open-world game. Most zones have one linear quest-path through the zone and little in the way of side quests besides closing rifts and making camps. You teleport in, travel to your destination, and warp out. There are exceptions of course.
That's true. But then it depends much on how you personally define "open world". If you look at the whole picture you can just leave the main story for good and exlore a few pretty big areas before continuing. To me that is pretty much open world. Maybe not as much as Skyrim but the devil is in the detail...

Anyways. I'll remind you again that I have Inquisition.
Sure, I can't recall myself doubting that. But I have the game as well and put more than 80 hours into it so far... ;)

And this whole discussion is pointless (and off topic) because I only used the simplistic terminology I did to answer the OPs question. In other words, I was trying to be helpful, not analyze the games. I'm perfectly aware of the differences in detail..
I guess the OP doesn't have anything against some deeper analysis. I thought the main purpose of this thread was to compare Witcher 3 and DAI. How should that even be possible without thorough analysis?

---------- Updated at 01:42 AM ----------

both series are great in my opinion although sadly there are many bioware haters here apparently you can't like both
Not so fast.... I like both as well. I would even say that most people who like Witcher at least like DA Origins as well.

That doesn't change though that imo Inquisition is disappointing.

I guess the OP doesn't have anything against some deeper analysis. I thought the main purpose of this thread was to compare Witcher 3 and DAI. How should that even be possible without thorough analysis?

Moderator:
And a special note to anyone else thinking of turning this into a DA vs Witcher fight:
Don't.

We are so much not going there that posts (and members, if need be) will be removed for making criticism of one game or the other under the pretense of analysis.

I thought it was to give buyer's advise.

But I have the game as well and put more than 80 hours into it so far...
And I have 70, so arguing about playtime is arbitrary. I was simply pointing out that I am by no means inexperienced with Inquisition.

Last edited:
I thought it was to give buyer's advise.
Yeah, but on what basis do you want to give buyer's adivse if you don't analyse the games???

@Nenous
Actually we don't know much more about Witcher 3 than you because we all lack first hand experience. Just read the various information pieces and interview about W3 on this board or elsewhere and watch the gameplay presentation from E3. That's all we know at this point I'm afraid. If you played DAI yourself you should at least be able to explore if the game maybe applies to you in general. Every discussion or opinions containing a comparison between DAI and Witcher 3 are obviously not wanted here so that's pretty much all you can get.

Last edited:
I have been playing DragonAge on the PS4 and enjoying the game alot, when i look at this game it seems more hack and slash and less open and more of track based quest. It looks great though.

It will actually be more open world akin to skyrim. DA:I were just a number of disconnected areas, albeit fairly large areas. .

that's great it's probably going to be a an awesome game but look, I don't want to be the guy who tells other people how to spend their money (but i guess I'm going to anyway, lol) The Witcher 3 has just been delayed till may and there have been doubts from some people concerning the quality of the game. Unless you've got the income to just spend £40 on a game without thinking about it id suggest spend that money to either play W1 and W2 if you have the appropriate platform/s or to read the books or buy another game your looking forward to that comes out sooner or is out now because at this point there is no point in pre-ordering the game.

Wait wat? its been delayed till may?

Last edited:
Different to Dragon Age Inuqisition Witcher isn't hack and slash, it's mostly skill based action combat. And I indeed hope it is way less open than DAI although that probably won't be the case...

The map is larger than Skyrim's. That's way more open than DA:I.

The map is larger than Skyrim's. That's way more open than DA:I.

No, it's just bigger but not more open. The "open" in open world stands for how much freedom you have while playing the game and how open the world is for exploration. After finishing the small prologue you can basically do whatever you want in Inquisition for dozens of hours...

I agree that Inquisition is less seamless open world since it's partioned in more regions. But to me that doesn't make the game less open if you can travel everywhere from (almost) the beginning...

welll you can travel the whole first world . skeellige i think comes later on.

mind you in inquisition you didnt get all the world maps either at the start.

You get almost the complete game and almost every region after the short prologue.
Not even close. After the prologue you can unlock 3 areas; Hinterlands, Sword Coast, and Fallowmire. Once you reach Skyhold you can unlock the other 7 regions. But don't forget that every region except Hinterlands has to be unlocked with Power. And you won't have enough Power to unlock them all right away.

Last edited:
You get almost the complete game and almost every region after the short prologue.

No you dont. after the "short"prologue (which isnt quite short either) you oly get 3 areas. You actually have to move the plot foward to actually get all the areas.
it actually takes quite a large amount of time if you take the time to explore the world. it took me like 50 hours to me.

I hope its nothing like DAI, I'm not that into it. The story is boring me, the combat is slow and it looks and feels lame compared to Dragon's Dogma. The graphics are good but NOT Great. For what it is, it's alright. Just not my kinda fun, and the horse looks lame with the stupid ass wind effect behing it. Meh.. it's for 8 year olds lol..
Who knows tho, I might still get into it since TW3 is still cooking. The crafting and collecting kinda blows and you can't even climb or swim.
I like to control my combat with each button press in real time, not watch and wait for the animations to start and stop:(
Now, if only Dragon's Dogma had some way better graphics and a more mature and compelling/believable story with a bigger open world to match, then YES! we would be in business.
;)

Last edited:
Reminder - this thread was started by someone interested in TW3 and wanting to find out more about it. If you want to discuss DA:I and your opinion of it, please use the appropriate thread.

Otherwise, expect posts to magically disappear.

@Nenous fellow forumites already gave you a good enough description and I don't have something significant to add on them. So I'll link you to the gameplay footage that was released (not as snippets, but as an actual playing session). You were told about the atmosphere and story, maybe this will help you form an impression of how it's actually played.

Something to note about these two videos I'm posting.

(1) The combat: The player demonstrating, in both of them, is playing very carefully. He jumps in to attack, and jumps right back. This makes the combat seem jerky at times and not too fluid, but that's not the case. It's simply because of his playstyle. One of the two videos in my post is a 35-minute section, played in English, with the same sort of cautious fighting style.

However, CDPR released two additional videos, replaying the exact same sequence, only in Polish and Russian. Thing is, in those two different videos, the player that demonstrated played much more aggressively. He didn't retreat after every strike of his and stayed in the thick of things. This made the combat much more beautiful because attacks were chained together and you could see many more different animations. And it has a lot of them, more than any melee game I've seen. I didn't put these two different videos here because I don't want to overwhelm you with material, but if you want we can easily link you to them to get a better feeling of combat.

The English version is still recommended for the first watch due to the Developer narrating and explaining a bit about what's going on.

(2) The Visuals: These videos are many months old, and at their time they were already using a build of the game that wasn't their most updated. Meaning that TW3 might look better today (or it might not, who knows).

This is from E3, run on XBox.
[video=youtube;BivVXw-NLTw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BivVXw-NLTw[/video]

And this is on PC:

(If you have the patience to download, you can find the 35-minute video here in sharper quality than YouTube's)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom