Obvious Downgrade

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
i admit the ps2 comparison regarding the lightning was overreacting, its bad but not that bad. i will wait for the video to take my conclusions, i just think overall the game looks to bright and cartooned, i was hooping for a w1 dark mood,

The problem is not the lightining but...it's about the skin shaders.

I look forward to the news & articles being published tomorrow so this thread can finally be closed and forgotten.

I'm sorry, but this post annoyed the hell out of me. As a Community Manager, you're doing a pretty crap job of engaging with your fanbase and promoting discussion when you make comments such as this.

Shame on you and the moderators for trying to detract from this thread any meaningful point or discussion that has actually taken place here. Sure, there's been a few heated, unnecessary comments, but myself and a few others have made perfectly valid and supported claims that have simply been brushed aside as "Unwarranted skepticism". If anything, those defending the game have been far more aggressive and rude in their approach than the critics have. Threatening to close this thread or ban naysayers has done nothing but alienate those of us who offer a different opinion that may not agree with the direction this game has taken in terms of graphically fidelity. To add more weight to my point since money is all people seem to care about, there's been a few times I've almost cancelled my three orders of this title due to the sheer arrogance displayed here.

My latest opinion about the on-going issue? The game is looking far better than those screenshots a couple of months ago, as well as the VGA trailer, but there has certainly been a change in aesthetic. Instead of dark and gritty medieval, we appear to have vibrant fantasy, with the former being my preference and what was originally shown to us two years ago. I will still go out and say that the graphics, TO ME, looked far better long ago, but if what we have now is what is being displayed in those screenshots then fair enough.

If you care so much for this thread to be locked, how about you and the rest of the team sit around a table in the office and discuss how to address the concerns of the community appropriately and concisely, leaving no room for interpretation, instead of giving off-handed responses and poorly-formed official statements such as video compression being responsible for below-average in-game clothing textures? How about addressing what settings these screenshots have been taken on? What system? Why has Geralt's appearance changed so much? Why has the game gone from dark to vibrant fantasy? Of course, I don't actually expect you to address everything or even anything we've mentioned, but that's why threads like this exist...so we can talk about them amongst ourselves because we have nowhere else to do so.

For what it's worth, and for those capable of reading the entirety of this post rather than just reading the negative and then slamming me, I do appreciate all the hard-work CD Projekt has done and I really do thing that The Witcher 3 will be a truly amazing game. It's just a shame it's been surrounded by unnecessary, easily fixed controversy.

-Disgruntled customer

EDIT:

Furthermore, a lot of people have been using this GIF in comparison to recent images.
http://img-9gag-ftw.9cache.com/photo/aEw6E6o_460sv.mp4

I'll use this one to draw comparison;
http://www.incgamers.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-4-1024x576.png

Both screenshots show gorgeous graphics, and neither are perfect, but it shows a clear change in direction in terms of graphically fidelity that simply has not been addressed by CD Projekt, leading to speculations of a downgrade.

Last edited:
Maybe because TheEvilChris had played the game in its different states of development and one of the few that has been able to contrast the original source?

Just repeating the same question: where are the exact specs and config of the hardware they were taken from?

I need a hot coffee ;)

Edit: and obviously... I rather play the best game next May than CDPR's team waste their precious time answering only the 5% of claims, which would mean a huge number of them. IMHO

Last edited:
Shame on you and the moderators for trying to detract from this thread any meaningful point or discussion that has actually taken place here. Sure, there's been a few heated, unnecessary comments, but myself and a few others have made perfectly valid and supported claims that have simply been brushed aside as "Unwarranted skepticism". If anything, those defending the game have been far more aggressive and rude in their approach than the critics have. Threatening to close this thread or ban naysayers has done nothing but alienate those of us who offer a different opinion that may not agree with the direction this game has taken in terms of graphically fidelity.

We moderators have repeatedly stated that the thread will not be closed for as long as people wish to give feedback, and we have never banned anyone for being a naysayer, nor have we threatened to do so. We have banned for abusive language towards other forum members, on both sides of the argument, and will continue to do so.

But equally we cannot and will not stop people from expressing their own opinions, if they do not agree that your claim is "valid and supported".

The only thing happening here is people saying CDPR should cut the PR crap they've engaged in with TW3. Why was there no such discussion with TW2? Because every single time they showed us trailers or gameplay footage it looked better and CDPR didn't spoon feed us condensed bullshit that the game would look considerably better then VGX or Sword of Destiny, which is objectively not the case regardless of the downgrade situation.

I don't remember anybody ever saying that.

Both screenshots show gorgeous graphics, and neither are perfect, but it shows a clear change in direction in terms of graphically fidelity that simply has not been addressed by CD Projekt, leading to speculations of a downgrade.

Forgive me, but I don't quite understand this bit. How do two screenshots of equally "gorgeous graphics" lead to "speculations of a downgrade"? :O Isn't it just a change in artistic direction? And as far as I recall TW2 also had such changes made during development.

I'm sorry you somehow feel my comments detract from the thread which is currently at 237 pages. Pretty good for allowing & encouraging fan discussion on a topic. It would have been wrong, but also very easy to have shut this down ages ago with a simple "Wait for new screenshots" or whatever. We don't do that here. We're not afraid to allow doubt or criticism, we just work to alleviate the doubt with new assets (like you'll see this week) and respond to criticism when possible.

I love forums. I started in gaming when there really was no other way to talk with fans (before Facebook, Twitter, etc). However a huge problem with threads on forums is they stagnate. This thread was created to express doubt about the quality of the game when a bunch of seemingly bad screenshots came out. Sure, maybe it has changed and evolved into something else now, but how do people know this? Do you think people new to the forums go back and read 237 pages? Or just maybe the first couple or last couple? Spiritshard, if you have an issue now that the tone of the game seems to have changed, is that the same issue as what this thread was created for, to discuss a graphical downgrade? Yes, they are similar in nature, but I do not think they are the same. Both are worth discussing, but now we are getting multiple topics within a thread and it is no longer being used to discuss what it was intended to discuss.

I stand by my comment. I hope that people will see the new screenshots, the new video, the live stream, the interviews, etc and will have their minds put to rest that there is no graphical downgrade and this thread is no longer useful as the reason it was created has been "solved" (for lack of a better term). If this thread was "I hope there will be frogs in the game" and we released screenshots showing frogs, the thread would die out. That is what I hope happens here. This does not mean that your concern over a possible change in tone isn't worth discussing. I would suggest you start a new thread so that it can be more clearly discussed by people who share your opinion or want to discuss the topic, rather than have it hidden in a thread that is not on the same issue.

Yeah so I just saw the gamelplay videos and it looks as good as Sword of Destiny to me. It doesnt look the same as VGX but then neither did SoD.

I'm sorry, but this post annoyed the hell out of me. As a Community Manager, you're doing a pretty crap job of engaging with your fanbase and promoting discussion when you make comments such as this.

Shame on you and the moderators for trying to detract from this thread any meaningful point or discussion that has actually taken place here. Sure, there's been a few heated, unnecessary comments, but myself and a few others have made perfectly valid and supported claims that have simply been brushed aside as "Unwarranted skepticism". If anything, those defending the game have been far more aggressive and rude in their approach than the critics have. Threatening to close this thread or ban naysayers has done nothing but alienate those of us who offer a different opinion that may not agree with the direction this game has taken in terms of graphically fidelity. To add more weight to my point since money is all people seem to care about, there's been a few times I've almost cancelled my three orders of this title due to the sheer arrogance displayed here.

My latest opinion about the on-going issue? The game is looking far better than those screenshots a couple of months ago, as well as the VGA trailer, but there has certainly been a change in aesthetic. Instead of dark and gritty medieval, we appear to have vibrant fantasy, with the former being my preference and what was originally shown to us two years ago. I will still go out and say that the graphics, TO ME, looked far better long ago, but if what we have now is what is being displayed in those screenshots then fair enough.

If you care so much for this thread to be locked, how about you and the rest of the team sit around a table in the office and discuss how to address the concerns of the community appropriately and concisely, leaving no room for interpretation, instead of giving off-handed responses and poorly-formed official statements such as video compression being responsible for below-average in-game clothing textures? How about addressing what settings these screenshots have been taken on? What system? Why has Geralt's appearance changed so much? Why has the game gone from dark to vibrant fantasy? Of course, I don't actually expect you to address everything or even anything we've mentioned, but that's why threads like this exist...so we can talk about them amongst ourselves because we have nowhere else to do so.

For what it's worth, and for those capable of reading the entirety of this post rather than just reading the negative and then slamming me, I do appreciate all the hard-work CD Projekt has done and I really do thing that The Witcher 3 will be a truly amazing game. It's just a shame it's been surrounded by unnecessary, easily fixed controversy.

-Disgruntled customer

EDIT:

Furthermore, a lot of people have been using this GIF in comparison to recent images.
http://img-9gag-ftw.9cache.com/photo/aEw6E6o_460sv.mp4

I'll use this one to draw comparison;
http://www.incgamers.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-4-1024x576.png

So in your opinion a superior color saturation "is a change in art direction" or "a down grade". Also that the mods, community manager, and anticipating fans have been overly scornful, or harsh on people insistently, and insultingly making these claims.

Let me refresh your memory of what started this thread...

Now let me refresh your memory of what happened almost the same fucking day...

Dear Gamers,
Ever since we started working on The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, we knew it would be an ambitious game. We wanted, and still aim, to give you an incredible experience, an epic adventure in a vast, completely open fantasy universe.

The sheer size and complexity of The Witcher, key features of the title, have had a decisive impact on production. Now, nearing the end of our work, we see many details that need to be corrected. When we release the most important game in our studio’s history, we must be absolutely sure that we did everything we could to limit any bugs to a level that will allow you to enjoy the game thoroughly.

With this in mind, we took another look at current workloads and what they mean for the team. Even though everyone is working at full speed, we concluded that we need another 12 weeks, so we are shifting the release date of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt to May 19th, 2015.

We owe you an apology. We set the release date too hastily. It’s a hard lesson, one to take to heart for the future. We know what we want to do to make Wild Hunt one of the best RPGs you will ever play. And we continue to work hard to achieve just that. So, we apologize and ask for your trust.

Thank you for the all support you show us on a daily basis. We truly do appreciate it. It has fueled us in our passion since the start and will continue to do so.

The Board of CD PROJEKT SA

Is that not enough of a measured response? Delaying the game by three months to make it run, and look better based off of criticism to WIP beta footage from incomplete sections of the game. What more do you want? Them to release a public address detailing every little extraneous technical term that you probably wouldn't under stand as to why the game is shaping up exactly the way it is? What would placate you, and every other "irate" fan over these details? I'll tell you what because I have dealt with people like them in my own line of work. Nothing would. Nothing will ever be enough for the unsure complainer, or skeptic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't speak for me please.

No that wasn't me speaking for you. That was non objective criticism on my part do to cynical past experiences. I am in no way calling you personally unreasonable; as I don't know anything about you. However there are people out there that are simply inconsolable.

No that wasn't me speaking for you. That was non objective criticism on my part do to cynical past experiences. I am in no way calling you personally unreasonable; as I don't know anything about you. However there are people out there that are simply inconsolable.

But still comes across as criticism of other posters in this thread. And the rules DO apply in both directions, so enough please.

@B l a d y - also enough flamebaiting from you for one day, I think.

What is this? Since when has The Witcher forum become the new BSN? All this negativity and nitpicking.

People are talking about downgrade here constantly. I don't know, maybe they are right. I'm not a graphichs enthusiast nor a purist. I don't give a damn about those fancy special features and tiny details. As long as the game looks damn good and the tone, ambiance and atmosphere makes me feel jazzed, I'm fine. And boy, I say this game's graphical design is something special. The atmosphere, the colour-palette, the ambiance, the sounds, the music and the animations all create something great and special. Somehting that has soul. As one who is a fan of the books and the old games, I'm sold. I think this game looks and feels great, judging it by what we were shown. As for those who only care about graphics... well, probably this is not the game you are looking for. Crytek is another company, famous for games with state of the art graphics with a complete devoid of soul and essence. ;)

But still comes across as criticism of other posters in this thread. And the rules DO apply in both directions, so enough please.

@B l a d y - also enough flamebaiting from you for one day, I think.

Ah I am clearing out of this thread because I have made every point I can possibly make, and might get to hurting peoples feelings if it continues any longer. Which is not the way to handle people getting bent out of shape. My advice from here on in (if it continues) is for people to chill, and understand the game is probably going to satisfy you immensely irregardless of how "perfect" it comes out. If you see something that concerns you bring it up, but don't feel as if your favorite pet just got murdered in front of you face.

Maybe because TheEvilChris had played the game in its different states of development and one of the few that has been able to contrast the original source?

Exactly, so he and the rest of the team are in the best position to put everything to rest, rather than release tidbits of information and not-so-direct statements.

Forgive me, but I don't quite understand this bit. How do two screenshots of equally "gorgeous graphics" lead to "speculations of a downgrade"? :O Isn't it just a change in artistic direction? And as far as I recall TW2 also had such changes made during development.

That's what some people are suggesting. I on the other hand have been on the fence; I wasn't too impressed with the Elven Blood trailer nor the handful of screenshots before it, hence why initially I was quite disappointed and had quite a say in this very thread, however now I'm thinking they've simply changed style (which still disappointments me, but less so).

I'm sorry you somehow feel my comments detract from the thread which is currently at 237 pages. Pretty good for allowing & encouraging fan discussion on a topic. It would have been wrong, but also very easy to have shut this down ages ago with a simple "Wait for new screenshots" or whatever. We don't do that here. We're not afraid to allow doubt or criticism, we just work to alleviate the doubt with new assets (like you'll see this week) and respond to criticism when possible.

Why can't you or another member of your team simply come onto the forums and say "These screenshots were taken on x system with y settings", "We decided to change the tone of graphics this far into development" etc etc? So much easier and less frustrating for all parties involved and it would say people such as myself having to moan constantly like whiny five year olds on their favorite and most respected developers forum.

Thanks for the response though.

Last edited:
Ultra setting still disabled. Not optimized yet. PC was set to high.
PC has better shaders, textures, more colorful and better AA compared to consoles.
Grass and similar detail pops in ~5m on consoles. Double that on PC.
PS4>X1. PS4 textures blurrier than PC high.
PS4 runs at 1080p30
-XB1 runs at 900p30, slightly blurrier than PS4.

What struck me as the most interesting here is that the Ultra settings are still disabled. Now I don't have any hard evidence, but it's very likely that the Gameplay we're about to see (Or some of us have already watched) and the most recent screenshots were probably taken from the PC High build, which is only slightly better than the PS4 Version (Better textures, and of course framerate).

I remain convinced that the Ultra setting is going the be a SOLID step up, and I think anyone who has the pleasure of playing the game on Ultra will probably experience graphically the same game as what we've seen in the previous footage (Minus anything that had sharpening), or at least bloody close to it.

Edit: Also I think that the fact that the PS4 version not only has better textures than the X1 & a higher resolution is clear proof that anyone who thought "parity" or CDPR's marketing connection with Microsoft was going to impact the game, can officially get fucked.

Last edited:
The 35 min demo and SOD trailer is my graphics reference point for the W3. If the final game looks like that then im more than satisfied.

Game looks gorgeous from the most recent footage, I honestly have no idea how people could be disappointed with it outside of the crazy pixel-by-pixel analysis crowd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom