So uhm... dice poker is no longer in?

• Yes, I liked it and want it back.

Votes: 167 65.0%
  • No, I never liked it.

Votes: 46 17.9%
  • I don't care.

Votes: 44 17.1%

• Total voters
Dice was more luck based and the new minigame we are getting seems more skill based to me, or at least that's my opinion and to me I would prefer the latter.

This.

I enjoyed dice poker (as a very amateur real poker player), but it bothered me I had zero control over the outcome (except which dice I kept/discarded). And don't get me started about dice that rolled outside the box.

Gwent is skill based and allows players to buy/find/get rewarded with cards as they play the core game. It is a better game imo. I think it is natural that, as fans, all the people complaining dice poker is gone are only really seeing what is missing and not the coolness of what has been added. I think the majority will really end up preferring Gwent once they get to play it.

Last edited:
This.

I enjoyed dice poker (as a very amateur real poker player), but it bothered me I had zero control over the outcome (except which dice I kept/discarded). And don't get me started about dice that rolled outside the box.

Gwent is skill based and allows players to buy/find/get rewarded with cards as they play the core game. It is a better game imo. I think it is natural that, as fans, all the people complaining dice poker is gone are only really seeing what is missing and not the coolness of what has been added. I think the majority will really end up preferring Gwent once they get to play it.
It might also appeal to the Heartstone demographic (I know your evil intentions), but seriously i'm really hyped for the minigame and I can see myself putting a considerable amount of time into it. Also that one achievement from The Witcher 2 on the xbox, it's made me hold a little grudge towards that dice, even though it was a good minigame. Only two weeks til I can get my hands on this EPICness!

Last edited:
Gwent is skill based and allows players to buy/find/get rewarded with cards as they play the core game. It is a better gem imo. I think it is natural that, as fans, all the people complaining dice poker is gone are only really seeing what is missing and not the coolness of what has been added. I think the majority will really end up preferring Gwent once they get to play it.

There is no accounting for taste, and it is often difficult to judge precisely what will appeal to everyone. Naturally, in the absence of experience with Gwent, people have lamented the disappearance of the more familiar Dice Poker, and they may change their opinions, in time; however, I still think it'll have a hard fight to win over a few of the hardcore game-of-chance players. Personally, I can admire the artistry on the cards, to a degree, and respect the game-design reasons for deciding to remove Dice, but, for myself, I've just never been fond of card-games. People have played all sorts of them around me for years, and they have never piqued my interest in the slightest. To be fair, I'll give Gwent a try, but, until the new game overwhelms me with its superiority, I'll still miss Dice.

Last edited:
I can't say i don't like Gwent since i haven't played it yet, but it doesn't mean i would completely ignore one game over the other, they are completely different games, like people have already said, one is skill based the other one is luck based.
I love me some luck based games as well as fist fighting.
I can't wait to try Gwent and collect all the cards spread around the world (gotta catch them all), but i also can't wait for a really good modder to add Dice Poker back in.
It's a real shame that it's missing.

You know what? Buy 10 dices and play dice poker with friends, that's a whole better idea than complaining about it not being in the game.

This.

Dead wrong sir. If hypothetically apples are better then strawberries does it mean that you should eat apples only?

Now I really like new minigame but what does it have to do with dice poker? Really why not both? Not just that. Dice poker could be improved as was discussed in thread made by me (round 3 of dice changes, bo3 to decrease luck affection...).

So please stop with explanation "dice poker was removed because it sucks compared to Gwent". Dice poker is simple and quick luck/maths minigame and thus it can not be obviously fairly compared to slower and more strategic based card game. You just removed something what many people liked and you keep explaining that it is good because of Gwent. That is terrible explanation because both could be in. And you know that so stop giving this annoying explanation. It always pisses me off when I see it(honestly it was enough for me to read it once).

EDIT: Ok I saw the explanation. Now it makes more sense. Well I apologize for my rant.

Last edited:
I case you guys missed it, here's the explanation why dice poker was removed:

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/29291-Wiedzmin-3-minigry?p=1619326#post1619326

Google Translate said:
Without beating around the bush - unfortunately we had to give up poker for manufacturing reasons. It's not like we could just move poker with W2 - just as in W2 we could just move from W1 poker without first create it from scratch for technical reasons (obviously ignoring the rules to the game, which has already been developed). Our programmers, graphic designers and game designers would have to spend a lot of time to do it all over again. It was not an easy decision for us, a long time on this subject discussed. For some time we wanted to have both mini-games, but unfortunately limited time and a very large number of new functionalities that had to be done to play, ruled out this option. Simply did not have enough people and time to work on both showcase and at the same time the rest of the game, we were forced to choose between poker and thread. Although we were aware of the fact that this will cause controversy, in the end, however, we decided that we want to take a chance and make a new mini-game, rather than implement the bone poker for the third time. I understand that a lot of people on board is dissatisfied with this decision and probably nothing I write this will not change - these people I can only apologize and hope that will give the thread a chance but when the game has already come out, despite various reservations about which I read in this thread.

This.

If you don't want a questline based on a game with pure luck that's fine, but I still don't see the reason for removing it altogether from the game, could've been there for low stakes on some single npcs.

Gwent indeed seems like a more skill based and interesting game, but scrapping poker still leaves a bad taste in my mouth, I loved it in TW1 and TW2 (even despite that weird camera angle during the throws) and I'm sad as f**k to see it go for no good reason.

Last edited:
I case you guys missed it, here's the explanation why dice poker was removed:

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/29291-Wiedzmin-3-minigry?p=1619326#post1619326

Thank you for passing that along.

Well, so much for that. And now, on to goose-chasing.

Dice was more luck based and the new minigame we are getting seems more skill based to me, or at least that's my opinion and to me I would prefer the latter.

We don't know yet how deep is Gwent. Maybe after a few plays, the game starts to be boring (I don't expect a HearthStone game like some people said). Dice games are, of course, luck based, but that's the reason they're always entertaining and funny.

Anyway, will see.

Last edited:
Edit: missed the explanation anyone care to translate? never mind, google translate worked well enough

Looks like it was reason one more or less

Dice poker was a badly designed game IMO. I didn't play it much in the second game but in W1 it was almost entirely luck, the cool thing about poker is that you don't know what your opponents have and there are multiple rounds of betting so you have to figure out who's bluffing as well as think about what your chances are of having a better hand. With dice poker you see what your opponent has so the most enjoyable elements are gone. Not to mention that in the W1 it felt like the dice weren't all that random. This could of course be my own experience but it seemed like if the opponent was more "skilled" or the bet was higher they got far better hands than average.

But why would they remove it? Well to be honest there aren't many convincing reasons but if it was up to me I would remove it because:
1) It's not even worth the time and resources to put it in.
2)People are concerned that as such a huge game the Witcher will have a lot of boring activities that act as filler and dice poker definitely feels like that. I would remove it just so there is one less negative thing people could talk about and so reviews and the such would seem that little better.
3)It's a crap game and is in no way significant to the lore. I know this isn't a reason of itself, but it backs up the other, admittedly weak points above. I was totally surprised that anyone liked the game at all when people brought it up a while back, the REDS could have thought the same and simply assumed no one would care.

Last edited:

I can understand this, but that's why it's nice to have a choice between the two - or even both, since they're so different. I like both skill based games, and luck based. Dice Poker is more immersive to me for a few reasons.

I have some hovering doubts about how easily it can be instated into the game.

Yea, I have my doubts as well. Most of all because it would require new voiced dialogue if done right.

This.

This. 100 bloody percent this. The simple fact that one of my MUST HAVE mods for both games was the ''always win'' for Dice Poker. Why? Because for one i had zero bloody control over the dice at all, and two, so many times i lost due to one or more dice falling off the board. Dice Poker, whilst a staple of the game and iconic to the Witcher games... was a damned annoying game. I regret its omission from the game due only for nostalgia purposes and the loss of a feature from the game.

But with the inclusion of Gwent, a game YOU DO have control over and isnt based on pure bloody luck, i am more than compensated for the loss of the annoying Dice Poker would have inevitably had to mod to guarantee a win.

Tuco

Forum veteran
Mixed feelings between the second and third option.
Generally speaking I like poker as a game, but dice poker in both Witcher games was as dull as a minigame can aspire be, in my opinion.

Without beating around the bush - unfortunately we had to give up poker for manufacturing reasons. It's not like we could just move poker with W2 - just as in W2 we could just move from W1 poker without first create it from scratch for technical reasons (obviously ignoring the rules to the game, which has already been developed). Our programmers, graphic designers and game designers would have to spend a lot of time to do it all over again. It was not an easy decision for us, a long time on this subject discussed. For some time we wanted to have both mini-games, but unfortunately limited time and a very large number of new functionalities that had to be done to play, ruled out this option. Simply did not have enough people and time to work on both showcase and at the same time the rest of the game, we were forced to choose between poker and thread. Although we were aware of the fact that this will cause controversy, in the end, however, we decided that we want to take a chance and make a new mini-game, rather than implement the bone poker for the third time. I understand that a lot of people on board is dissatisfied with this decision and probably nothing I write this will not change - these people I can only apologize and hope that will give the thread a chance but when the game has already come out, despite various reservations about which I read in this thread.
Well...Fuck.

Top Bottom