The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - An Open Letter

+
So much drama.
CDPR are doing this to ensure we get a better game, and not a bug nightmare like many other big prised games out there.

Leave CDPR alone...! I mean it!

Obviously, I'm not thrilled about another delay. On the other hand, I'm not shocked or overly upset either. The Witcher 3 is obviously an insanely ambitious game, delays were inevitable. There comes a point where throw more money/people at the problem is no longer a viable solution, it's simply going to take more time, either that or you make sacrifices (cut scope/features). Waiting a few more months is a far better alternative to CDPR pulling a Ubisoft and releasing a buggy, unfinished mess (ala Assassin's Creed: Unity). To me, getting a great finished game is more important than getting the game sooner. However long it takes to get it right, take that long, CDPR.

It's hard to wait the extra time. Was looking forward so much to get my CE in february. But I can wait a few more month to get the best possible game ever. And I will be done writting my Bachelor's degree.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 30

n0rv

Forum veteran
Looks like we pissed them off under "downgrade thread"

Not an option. This decision was carefully planned at least one month ago. It is not possible to make such a decision only because of emotional reaction of fans.
Something bad is happening, but we can only wait and believe that they can do its best.

My birthday is on the 20th May. I'm flattered you felt the need to give me a present, really I am.

We are waiting.....(and yes I'm entitled to this opinion as much as bunch of you will attack me with typical phrase - you're not entitled....how would you feel if I said to you that you're not entitled to tell anyone whether he/she is or isn't entitled to demand something).

Well, since I'm a mod, I'd laugh evilly. Of course.

In any case, there is a big difference between reasonable expectations of promises and those that are deserved. When Marcin said there wouldn't be in any more delays, it was his -to him- reasonable belief that the game was on schedule. At least, his stated belief.

But there is no way he could foresee what would come up months and months later. And there is no way for him to totally control what happens on such an ambitious undertaking.

This is not like when you promise to take out the garbage. Or promise to be faithful to your girlfriend/boyfriend.

This is much more complex. And much easier to get wrong.

It's why so many creative entities just don't make those kind of statements - certain fans will take them as the equivalent of guarantees and become quite upset if they turn out to be less than accurate. For whatever reason.

SHould they have said, "no more delays"? Probbbably not. Will they next time? Probbbbaly not. So next time it will probably be, "well, we'll be done when we're done."

Arguably they are already doing that - note how very, very closemouthed they are on CP2077. And I suspect that is for the best.

actually, this is not a similar situation, Duke Nukem Forever got canceled several times, the team developed it completely changed, etc.

Well Watch Dogs,Aliens: Colonial Marines,F.E.A.R. 3 etc. got delayed and....they turned out great,right?

I repeat fot GAZILIONTH time it's not about delay it's about telling us what exactly caused it and how much influence it will have on game itself. -.-

I'm all for delaying for quality, however.

When i originally pre-ordered, for some reason I expected you would be like every other pre-order service on the internet and charge some sort of deposit. I was slightly surprised when i was immediately billed but I didnt mind too much as the entire intention of pre-ordering was to show goodwill in a game being made that i advocate. ( I dont pre-order any other games, its pretty much only CDPR i made an exception for, which i'm starting to doubt now).

However, with the game being delayed and delayed, I end up paying something like 5% more on the game because you literally generate 5% interest on the money I've paid you. The potential for delays is a strong argument against taking people's money immediately when they pre-order your game. I'm sure if i contacted you about it, you would refund me, but its too much effort for a small gripe.

This is just another small dent in the reputation from a developer that has otherwise had a pretty good record initially (along with not fighting retailers on regional pricing, going back on word with very minor exclusive console CE's and the pre-order policy).

Anyway, people shouldnt forget that before TW1 the studio was tiny and its learning and growing. I look forward to playing your game.

The scope has been the same since the project was announced. The scope of Star Citizen keeps increasing, and basically is more than one game in one(possible ground/ship to ship combat, more ships added, MORE MORE MORE). They both have a lot of listed features, but the scope on Witcher 3 has stayed the same (Open world RPG). Hopefully they can match it, and if not, they failed to live up to the scope. It's a little different from creep though.
Yes and no. It's not that easy to compare them both because Star Citizen will be an ongoing development process over the next few years at least and not every announced feature will be present in the "initial release" (and even the release happens in parts). For example, the scope of the SP campagin Squadron 42 hasn't changed that much since the initilal announcement.

And "open world RPG" is bascially a bit too short-sighted to describe Witcher. Skyrim is also an "open world RPG" but Witcher 3 is not planned to be like Skyrim. It's a game that wants to solve things that nobody could solve before like connecting a big open world with a narrative-and-character-driven approach and proper story pacing. They bascially promised to make the most complex game ever while overcoming all the traditional problems with various design philosophies. So yes, imo Witcher 3 is in some parts even more ambitious than Star Citizen. Star Citizen combines a lot of different games/parts, no question, but they all work quite well on their own probably (or not, we'll see). With Witcher 3 the devil is more in the detail. It's the question whether CDPR really achieves to press compelling story, open world exloration, proper story pacing, proper balancing and combat/encounter design, deep choice and consequence, believable, lifelike surroundings, gorgeous visuals and tons of hours of meaningful(!) content into one big immersive RPG experience. That's extremely ambitous if you ask me and even one shortcoming in the interplay and connection of these elements could ruin the game for some or almost eveyone...

If the game will not receive another delay, it will be released 10 days before my birthday. the best present for my 45 birthday.

I have a mixed feeling here i understand the reason for the delay i don't want that the witcher 3 will be the next tomb raider angel of darkness, but i am afraid that cdpr are having major issues with the game and might delete part of the game in order to meet the scheduled.

Very sad about this delay as I have been looking so forward to this game and with the (for me) disappointment that was DA:I February 24th couldn't have come soon enough.

What bothers me most is the vague description in why the game has been delayed. It concerns me. I cannot help but feeling that this is (and I admit I am purely speculating) a console specific delay that we PC gamers just have to accept and suffer through. I actually think the game could have been released on February 24th for PC without issues. I don't believe for one second that PC gamers will benefit one bit from this delay.

I base this on that I have read in several articles and seen in several interviews linked in the interviews and article subject on this forum that the game was "done" and they were really ONLY working on optimization for all platforms (especially to get the game running on consoles). This are OLD articles. They have also stated that they can run the game fine on PC on high settings with GTX 660 and 680 - even in heavier developer version than the actually game will be.

My feeling is therefor and especially with the recent outcry of downgrade from the new trailer, which I think surprised CDPR a bit, that the game doesn't run very well on consoles yet and the graphic fidelity people expected on consoles is suffering severely from it and they feel they have to improve that.

As mention I feel that those people playing on PCs that think this will delay will give them a better gaming experience in regards to better gameplay or gaming mechanics is sadly mistaken.

Last edited:
If the game will not receive another delay, it will be released 10 days before my birthday. the best present for my 45 birthday.

I have a mixed feeling here i understand the reason for the delay i don't want that the witcher 3 will be the next tomb raider angel of darkness, but i am afraid that cdpr are having major issues with the game and might delete part of the game in order to meet the scheduled.
Happy Bday dude!

Top Bottom